4Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 01-08-2019, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Kodi only box?

I am currently using a Odroid C2 running Kodi and while it has been perfect in terms of playing my .mkv BD rips with full support for HD audio passthru....it kinda struggles with some of the more intense Kodi skins which I have been starting to use.

Looking for something more powerful. I have tried on several occasions using Kodi on my NVidia shield and have always run into AV sync issues and problems with the HD audio passthru....personally I would like to stay away from android boxes.

I am thinking I may need to look into a mini-pc of some sort but just not sure considering all the different kinds ....and reports of problems with HD audio with some.

Again, this is just for Kodi playing .mkvs stored on on my NAS in 1080p projection 5.1.4 home theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-08-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 918
Sounds like you need a for real HTPC and all the endless tinkering that goes with it.

Or ,... get an ATV4K and use infuse to play back those files.

I do the second one.

-Brian
Mr.6 likes this.
post #3 of 32 Old 01-08-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Sounds like you need a for real HTPC and all the endless tinkering that goes with it.

Or ,... get an ATV4K and use infuse to play back those files.

I do the second one.

-Brian
Last I checked...the ATV4k did not do HD Audio/ATMOS bistream/passthru. Is that still not the case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 01-08-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Kodi only box?

Try an Asus Chromebox. They run various Linux+Kodi builds and can be upgraded for ram and storage although I’ve found that unnecessary.

Has been bulletproof. I have played 4K files off gigabit connected Samba-enabled software RAID Linux NAS (tuned to deliver line rate).

Can also dual boot into ChromeOS if you have a need.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox

Add a $20 Logitech wireless keyboard with integrated trackpad and you’re good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by UUronl; 01-08-2019 at 11:50 AM.
post #5 of 32 Old 01-08-2019, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 248
you could buy a s912 based android box and install coreelec

or buy Vero 4K+ (OSMC), this has good support https://osmc.tv/vero/

look at this thread for other options
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

what-i-d-do-differently-next-timehttps://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post55641388
Epson Projector Power Supply Failure.https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...lure-rate.html
post #6 of 32 Old 01-08-2019, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks,

Both the Chromebox and Vero 4k+ are options I have been considering. The Vero 4k+ looks ideal and does not require any hacking/opening it up to make it work.

Not sure how much more power the Vero 4k+ has over my Odriod C2 in terms of handling the heavy Kodi skins.
post #7 of 32 Old 01-08-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 816
If I wanted to upgrade I would be sure it's an upgrade and probably go with the Shuttle DH310 or some such. It's probably overkill although you may have a few of the required parts sitting around and if you do punt at some point you'll probably be able to repurpose it nicely. I like the concept as it uses desktop CPUs over the watered down laptop versions in most of the small form factor PCs (such as the NUC line). If you want a little less size and power they have their nanos...

Been years since I ran the Asus Chromebox but if I remember correctly it struggled a bit with some skins. I was never (overly) impressed with its power...

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |

Last edited by Charles R; 01-09-2019 at 07:22 AM.
post #8 of 32 Old 01-08-2019, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Thanks,

Both the Chromebox and Vero 4k+ are options I have been considering. The Vero 4k+ looks ideal and does not require any hacking/opening it up to make it work.

Not sure how much more power the Vero 4k+ has over my Odriod C2 in terms of handling the heavy Kodi skins.
I have the Vero 4k+ and am very happy with it. You do pay a bit more for the same hardware if you do your own firmware loads, but as you stated, it works out of the box. Support is excellent as well, Sam is a great guy. I use the Eminence 2.0 skin and it runs very smoothly.
captainbrent likes this.

Looky here!
post #9 of 32 Old 01-08-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I would try the Vero 4k+
post #10 of 32 Old 01-08-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by avtvhdbass View Post
you could buy a s912 based android box and install coreelec

or buy Vero 4K+ (OSMC), this has good support https://osmc.tv/vero/

look at this thread for other options
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
This!

IMHO Vero 4K+ is overpriced, especially when you can get a S905X or S912 box and run LibreELEC, or better yet CoreELEC (designed for AMLogic boxes) for less than half the cost & same performance.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #11 of 32 Old 01-09-2019, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
If I wanted to upgrade I would be sure it's an upgrade and probably go with the Shuttle DH310 or some such. It's probably overkill although you may have a few of the required parts sitting around and if you do punt at some point you'll probably be able to repurpose it nicely. I like the concept as it uses desktop CPUs over the watered down laptop versions in most of the small form factor PCs (such as the NUC line). If you want a little less size and power they have their nanos...

Been years since I ran the Asus Chromebox but if I rememver correctly it struggled a bit with some skins. I was never (overly) impressed with its power...

Chromeboxes have a variety of CPU configurations now (Celeron and i3/5, etc...). Plus there have been architecture updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 32 Old 01-09-2019, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
This!

IMHO Vero 4K+ is overpriced, especially when you can get a S905X or S912 box and run LibreELEC, or better yet CoreELEC (designed for AMLogic boxes) for less than half the cost & same performance.
I don't mind paying someone extra for the quality support that the OSMC devs provide.
captainbrent likes this.

Looky here!
post #13 of 32 Old 01-09-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 706
I have two HTPC's made around Intel NUC's, with Kodi on top of Windows 10.
No problems with any audio or video, old or new formats.
I even added inside them the Pulse Eight HDMI-CEC internal adapter, so I control Kodi with only the TV's remote, but the NUC's also have IR ports and you can use a Windows Media Center remote very easily with Kodi.
post #14 of 32 Old 01-09-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUronl View Post
Chromeboxes have a variety of CPU configurations now (Celeron and i3/5, etc...). Plus there have been architecture updates.
They did years ago as well... although only the low-end model had any bang for the buck and about 99.99% market share for Kodi. If "investing" any more something more "traditional" works best for me for a variety of reasons.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
post #15 of 32 Old 01-09-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
I have two HTPC's made around Intel NUC's, with Kodi on top of Windows 10.
No problems with any audio or video, old or new formats.
I even added inside them the Pulse Eight HDMI-CEC internal adapter, so I control Kodi with only the TV's remote, but the NUC's also have IR ports and you can use a Windows Media Center remote very easily with Kodi.
Which model NUC? more specifically CPU/microarchitecture(Kaby, Coffee, etc)?

The more and more I research the more and more I realize I am probably need to go with something Intel x86 based.
post #16 of 32 Old 01-09-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 148
IMO, I'd work on figuring out why you have problems with Kodi on the Shield. I don't have any issues with A/V sync or HD audio pass through, it simply works. And the Shield has plenty of processing power for skins. Just my $.02.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #17 of 32 Old 01-09-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
I don't have any issues with A/V sync or HD audio pass through, it simply works.
I have a Shield TV and for me it's so-so at best. Never been a fan of Android for local media and for Internet streaming it lacks support for many apps. Yes it covers both bases but neither one rather well...

post #18 of 32 Old 01-09-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
IMO, I'd work on figuring out why you have problems with Kodi on the Shield. I don't have any issues with A/V sync or HD audio pass through, it simply works. And the Shield has plenty of processing power for skins. Just my $.02.
It still doesn't do auto colorspace switching and has had other image quality issues since inception.

Looky here!
post #19 of 32 Old 01-09-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
It still doesn't do auto colorspace switching and has had other image quality issues since inception.
Latest Beta... Adds setting to automatically switch color modes (Settings > Developer Options > Colorimetry). Upscaling has been a (reported) issue since day one which I saw myself back in the day. However a while ago I did a comparision with three devices and several images of each and the Shield TV held its own... surprisingly.

post #20 of 32 Old 01-09-2019, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Which model NUC? more specifically CPU/microarchitecture(Kaby, Coffee, etc)?

The more and more I research the more and more I realize I am probably need to go with something Intel x86 based.
The first is Intel NUC Kit D54250WYKH, a Wilson Canyon 2013 era, with a i5-4250U (Haswell) processor.
The Haswell was the first generation that was capable of keeping the video in sync at true 23.976p (not 24.000p or 23.972p). I still use this NUC with a passive 3D LG TV and a 5.1 audio setup. The Haswell is NOT capable of HEVC/h.265/4K/HDR decoding, not in hardware or software, this NUC is stuck with AVC/h.264 2K/3D Blu-ray's.

The second is Intel NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH, a Baby Canyon 2017 era, with a i3-7100U (Kaby Lake) processor.
The Kaby Lake is well capable of HEVC/h.265/4K/HDR decoding in hardware, no software acceleration needed.
post #21 of 32 Old 01-10-2019, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
That option arrived on my Shield last night with the Experience 7.2.2 update. Not sure about your other image quality issues, but at least the issues can now be in the correct colorspace.

post #22 of 32 Old 05-03-2019, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
I am currently using a Odroid C2 running Kodi and while it has been perfect in terms of playing my .mkv BD rips with full support for HD audio passthru....it kinda struggles with some of the more intense Kodi skins which I have been starting to use.

Looking for something more powerful. I have tried on several occasions using Kodi on my NVidia shield and have always run into AV sync issues and problems with the HD audio passthru....personally I would like to stay away from android boxes.

I am thinking I may need to look into a mini-pc of some sort but just not sure considering all the different kinds ....and reports of problems with HD audio with some.

Again, this is just for Kodi playing .mkvs stored on on my NAS in 1080p projection 5.1.4 home theater.
I am looking at something other than the Zidoo or Shield with all their buggy fw that never gets fixed. So I found this:
https://ameridroid.com/products/odroid-n2
And it's coming along nicely with this linux alpha testing. Very responsive developers with nightly fixes. It's not ready for primetime--but getting closer.
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/odroid-n2-test-builds/
I'd already have one if I had real experience with Linux

JVC RS600, 110"d StudioTek 130, Panny 820 4k Player, Denon AVR-X6500H, 5.2.4 DIY Sound Group speakers, Crown XLS 2502 Sub amp,
post #23 of 32 Old 05-07-2019, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondi View Post
I am looking at something other than the Zidoo or Shield with all their buggy fw that never gets fixed. So I found this:
https://ameridroid.com/products/odroid-n2
And it's coming along nicely with this linux alpha testing. Very responsive developers with nightly fixes. It's not ready for primetime--but getting closer.
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/odroid-n2-test-builds/
I'd already have one if I had real experience with Linux
Yeah, I have been keeping on eye on that.

Been happy with the C2 so if I can get something as reliable but with more horsepower for Kodi...I would be happy.
post #24 of 32 Old 05-07-2019, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Yeah, I have been keeping on eye on that.

Been happy with the C2 so if I can get something as reliable but with more horsepower for Kodi...I would be happy.
As I recall--the testing of N2 vs the C2 showed 4 times the performance. I'm not sure which version of the C2 that applies to.
With your C2--which version of Linux are you using? or are you using Android.

The CoreELEC (CE )seems like the way to go. I don't think Android has the groups that are trying to improve it, that there are with Linux. LibreElec did a lot of work with the C2, as well as CE as I recall. As I recall there was mentioned on the CE forum--Kodi is also helping with the N2--perhaps making changes to their Linux code to support it, or maybe just helping

The CE Team (in Germany btw) seems very helpful and responsive. All the team members were provided early "samples" of the N2 by HardKernel (HK).
If you are interested in of the HK N2 website--surf over here: https://forum.odroid.com/viewforum.php?f=175
On the odroid.com (as well as the CE nightly builds site), there are already issues with the USB3 speed, which is acknowledged by HK--maybe only corrected with a new kernel!.
If it matters, they are from S Korea--not China--which hopefully means better communication with users.

The real questions I have is, regarding the N2 AND the mods CE are making to it:
1.What is the plan/goals for features? I have not found any.
2. Will it be like the Shield and Zidoo--where the specs and what you get are 2 different things--ie no real Forced Subs
2a. Will they develop it so it works with most of the goals and get to work on the next project--again like the other boxes from China. Yea the Vero+ get finally got an update--but it took a LONG time--acording to the thread.
3. HK is already working an a new version of the Kernel for the N2. IF CE incorporates this how much work will they have to do, to incorporate those changes.
4. How long will they support that?
I have not found on the CE site any answers to the above--it certainly does not mean they are not there.

JVC RS600, 110"d StudioTek 130, Panny 820 4k Player, Denon AVR-X6500H, 5.2.4 DIY Sound Group speakers, Crown XLS 2502 Sub amp,
post #25 of 32 Old 05-08-2019, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondi View Post
As I recall--the testing of N2 vs the C2 showed 4 times the performance. I'm not sure which version of the C2 that applies to.
With your C2--which version of Linux are you using? or are you using Android.

The CoreELEC (CE )seems like the way to go. I don't think Android has the groups that are trying to improve it, that there are with Linux. LibreElec did a lot of work with the C2, as well as CE as I recall. As I recall there was mentioned on the CE forum--Kodi is also helping with the N2--perhaps making changes to their Linux code to support it, or maybe just helping

The CE Team (in Germany btw) seems very helpful and responsive. All the team members were provided early "samples" of the N2 by HardKernel (HK).
If you are interested in of the HK N2 website--surf over here: https://forum.odroid.com/viewforum.php?f=175
On the odroid.com (as well as the CE nightly builds site), there are already issues with the USB3 speed, which is acknowledged by HK--maybe only corrected with a new kernel!.
If it matters, they are from S Korea--not China--which hopefully means better communication with users.

The real questions I have is, regarding the N2 AND the mods CE are making to it:
1.What is the plan/goals for features? I have not found any.
2. Will it be like the Shield and Zidoo--where the specs and what you get are 2 different things--ie no real Forced Subs
2a. Will they develop it so it works with most of the goals and get to work on the next project--again like the other boxes from China. Yea the Vero+ get finally got an update--but it took a LONG time--acording to the thread.
3. HK is already working an a new version of the Kernel for the N2. IF CE incorporates this how much work will they have to do, to incorporate those changes.
4. How long will they support that?
I have not found on the CE site any answers to the above--it certainly does not mean they are not there.
On my C2, I am using CoreElec...not sure version as I have not updated in a while since its worked perfectly for me.

Things i care about:
-HD audio passthru....ATMOS, etc
-auto resolution switching
-PQ of course
-This will be hooked up to a 1080 projector so 4k/HDR is not important...although having good HDR->SDR conversion would be nice since I do have a few 4k UBD .mkv rips.
-Able to run the more demanding Kodi skins...this is where the C2 falls short.
-My Kodi library of my .mkvs are on a DIY NAS server....so gigabit ethernet is needed.
-I dont use Kodi for anything other than playing the .mkvs and TV recordings that my Plex server stores on the NAS. Dont need live TV within Kodi or anything like that.

C2 does all that perfectly except for struggling with some of the skins...and of course can't do the 4k/hdr -> SDR stuff.
post #26 of 32 Old 05-08-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 474
I have been very happy with my Minix u9 with the A2 remote. Does auto resolution switching to 4k with HDR and audio pass thru is running smooth. I run the Estuary Mod 2 with CoreElec 9.01. Might not be a very heavy skin but certainly looks good.

post #27 of 32 Old 05-12-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
A question for Kodi users, with various apps installed. how much storage does it take up? The Kodi app itself shows 139MB. Though I install different apps and also delete them at times and clear cache's, it keeps growing. My Minix box now says the Kodi app shows 2.82 Gigs. Is that normal size, or is that high?
post #28 of 32 Old 05-12-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
A question for Kodi users, with various apps installed. how much storage does it take up? The Kodi app itself shows 139MB. Though I install different apps and also delete them at times and clear cache's, it keeps growing. My Minix box now says the Kodi app shows 2.82 Gigs. Is that normal size, or is that high?
My Kodi 18.2 UWP installation, with 263 movies scanned in the local library the size on disk is about 550 MB. More content in the library means more storage for that library.
shivaji likes this.
post #29 of 32 Old 05-14-2019, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post

The second is Intel NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH, a Baby Canyon 2017 era, with a i3-7100U (Kaby Lake) processor.
The Kaby Lake is well capable of HEVC/h.265/4K/HDR decoding in hardware, no software acceleration needed.
With the Kaby, can you do 3D as well, with automatic switching? I have a Sony 4k/3D TV and currently have to switch inputs to watch 3D or 4K. (I have an older DIY HTPC and have been trying to come up with a single box solution.)

Thanks
post #30 of 32 Old 05-15-2019, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsch View Post
With the Kaby, can you do 3D as well, with automatic switching?
The newer generation of NUCs that have HDMI 2.0 ports does NOT support 3D MVC FramePacking, only Half-SBS or Half-OU with automatic switching (if the TV supports 2D/3D automatic switching, of course). The HDMI 2.0 ports are not native, but made with an DP-HDMI LSPCon from MegaChips and "Steroscopic 3D forwarding" (3D MVC FramePacking) as described in the list of features from MegaChips, is NOT working.

For full 3D MVC FramePacking support, you need an older NUC with native HDMI 1.4 port.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page