TEAC NT-505 USB DAC Network Player - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 05-21-2019, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks for the great info on this forum.

I have a very old TEAC dac (no streaming) UD-H01. The sound is quite good as it uses dual Burr Brown DACs. I use the USB interface to connect to my Windows 10 laptop. Unfortunately, I have been experiencing very frequent USB drops which require a reboot of the DAC to reconnect. I tuned off all power save features on the laptop so I believe the issue is the TEAC windows drivers which are from 2014 and never certified on Win10 (I believe).

Just wondering if anyone has experience (good or bad) with TEAC Windows driver support on the NT-505? I'd like to upgrade and stick with TEAC but I am really disappointed with their software support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 05-21-2019, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW25 View Post
Thanks for the great info on this forum.

I have a very old TEAC dac (no streaming) UD-H01. The sound is quite good as it uses dual Burr Brown DACs. I use the USB interface to connect to my Windows 10 laptop. Unfortunately, I have been experiencing very frequent USB drops which require a reboot of the DAC to reconnect. I tuned off all power save features on the laptop so I believe the issue is the TEAC windows drivers which are from 2014 and never certified on Win10 (I believe).

Just wondering if anyone has experience (good or bad) with TEAC Windows driver support on the NT-505? I'd like to upgrade and stick with TEAC but I am really disappointed with their software support.
hey mate, try and download the latest WinOS drivers for the latest UD iteration... like UD-503 or UD-505. I believe those are the drivers folks are using for the new WinOS.
post #33 of 49 Old 05-23-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassup View Post
hey mate, try and download the latest WinOS drivers for the latest UD iteration... like UD-503 or UD-505. I believe those are the drivers folks are using for the new WinOS.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! Sorry it took a while to respond.
I just tried UD-503 and 505 drivers. The 505 update seemed like it was for the DAC's firmware so didn't try that. I did installed the UD-503 drivers. Unfortunately the same USB disconnect happened after playing 2 songs. Very frustrating.

I am going to try to switch to a USB 3.0 port from 2.0. Perhaps the higher current may make a difference. I will let you know how it goes. thanks again.
wassup likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 05-23-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! Sorry it took a while to respond.
I just tried UD-503 and 505 drivers. The 505 update seemed like it was for the DAC's firmware so didn't try that. I did installed the UD-503 drivers. Unfortunately the same USB disconnect happened after playing 2 songs. Very frustrating.

I am going to try to switch to a USB 3.0 port from 2.0. Perhaps the higher current may make a difference. I will let you know how it goes. thanks again.
mate, check this Youtube vid:

seems that there is a known issue with Win10 and the USB ports disconnecting. There is a fix...watch whole vid.

also check out the Win10 "safe removal" vs "better performance" default Win10 setting. This may be causing the USB dropouts...

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...indows-update/

Last edited by wassup; 05-23-2019 at 04:45 PM.
post #35 of 49 Old 05-24-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
mate, check this Youtube vid:

https://youtu.be/IlJUEOjy2ZI

seems that there is a known issue with Win10 and the USB ports disconnecting. There is a fix...watch whole vid.

also check out the Win10 "safe removal" vs "better performance" default Win10 setting. This may be causing the USB dropouts...

Great info! thanks again. I will give it try and report back asap. Have a great weekend!
post #36 of 49 Old 05-29-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Great info! thanks again. I will give it try and report back asap. Have a great weekend!
UPDATE....

I just wanted to provide an update regrading USB dropouts on TEAC DACS.

Actions:
Tried Updating my UD-H01 with UD-503 Drivers.

Comments:
The update did not produce an error but when looking at the driver in use i am not sure if the newer driver is actually being used. I will install the original and check for differences.

Results:
Not conclusive. The dropouts come randomly but they typically occur when the DAC is not being used by the Windows software for a period of time (~15 minutes or longer).

Actions:
Adjusted the power consumption settings in windows to NEVER disable power to the USB part when plugged in.

Results:
Not conclusive. Still occurred but it is possible that this improved things making the dropouts less frequent.

Actions:
Installed a powered USB Hub between my laptop and the DAC.

Results:
Improvement. While i still have not concluded all test scenarios the dropouts occur with much less frequency.

Comments:
I believe that the driver needs to be connected to a USB ports that is supplied with a continuous current. I need to run this setup for a week or so before claiming victory but my initial impression is that the powered HUB has improved if not resolved the issue. Still not a fix as the driver should not disconnect if the DAC has power. I will provide an update asap. thanks again.
post #37 of 49 Old 05-29-2019, 08:21 PM

try this part of the fix... this absolutely will disconnect the USB port if left to the "safe removal" default setting

post #38 of 49 Old 05-30-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
try this part of the fix... this absolutely will disconnect the USB port if left to the "safe removal" default setting

Thanks! I looked at these videos and some other writeups about safe removal. They seem to only deal with USB storage media. I cannot find a "safe removal" selection in the USB properties of these sound driver settings. Were you able to find the relevant setting for a non-storage USB device? Thanks again for all your help.
post #39 of 49 Old 05-30-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I looked at these videos and some other writeups about safe removal. They seem to only deal with USB storage media. I cannot find a "safe removal" selection in the USB properties of these sound driver settings. Were you able to find the relevant setting for a non-storage USB device? Thanks again for all your help.
you have to connect the NT-505 via USB powered up and in the Win10 OS USB (or Mass Storage) settings navigate to the "NT-505" and make sure that this is set to "better performance". The Win10 OS does not "know" that you are running a DAC that requires constant voltage on the port.
post #40 of 49 Old 05-31-2019, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
what are you playing which requires usb? why not use the network streaming function? usb is buggy regardless of the dac being used.
post #41 of 49 Old 05-31-2019, 10:31 AM

I am not sure which method TEAC recommends, what the format specifications are or which sounds better USB vs. Local Area Network connection via ethernet cable..?
post #42 of 49 Old 05-31-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I am not sure which method TEAC recommends, what the format specifications are or which sounds better USB vs. Local Area Network connection via ethernet cable..?
To answer love_that_sound's question about why I am not using network streaming. I have the TEAC UD-H01 not the NT-505. the UD-H01 is just a plain DAC, no networking connection. I have heard some network streamers but to my ear the hard wired USB connection is better. I know it is totally subjective.

The reason I posted my question to this forum is to first ask about this USB dropout issue but it was also to get everyone thoughts on TEAC driver support. They discontinued the UD-H01 and stopped providing updates to the drivers in 2012.

If i invest in the NT-505 or other TEAC DAC I would hope they would continue to support the drivers.

Thanks again for all the help. it has been very useful. I can say that the recommendations from "wassup" have been very helpful. My improvements in USB dropouts came from updating the drivers to the ones for the UD-503 which i never thought to try. I made some of the power setting changes recommended and then finally adding a $10 powered USB hub to the system.

Now i typically don't experience a drop even when the system is unused for an hour our so. Even when i close the laptop and put it in sleep mode it still stays connected. I need to manually change the driver selection to the TEAC but i do not need to restart the DAC or the laptop which is a huge improvement.

Well thanks again for all the help. have a great weekend. happy listening.
love_that_sound likes this.
post #43 of 49 Old 06-01-2019, 08:09 AM

right on ¡!¡!
post #44 of 49 Old 06-02-2019, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
To answer love_that_sound's question about why I am not using network streaming. I have the TEAC UD-H01 not the NT-505. the UD-H01 is just a plain DAC, no networking connection. I have heard some network streamers but to my ear the hard wired USB connection is better. I know it is totally subjective.

The reason I posted my question to this forum is to first ask about this USB dropout issue but it was also to get everyone thoughts on TEAC driver support. They discontinued the UD-H01 and stopped providing updates to the drivers in 2012.

If i invest in the NT-505 or other TEAC DAC I would hope they would continue to support the drivers.

Thanks again for all the help. it has been very useful. I can say that the recommendations from "wassup" have been very helpful. My improvements in USB dropouts came from updating the drivers to the ones for the UD-503 which i never thought to try. I made some of the power setting changes recommended and then finally adding a $10 powered USB hub to the system.

Now i typically don't experience a drop even when the system is unused for an hour our so. Even when i close the laptop and put it in sleep mode it still stays connected. I need to manually change the driver selection to the TEAC but i do not need to restart the DAC or the laptop which is a huge improvement.

Well thanks again for all the help. have a great weekend. happy listening.
There are too many variables in the chain of USB to make the assertion of it sounds better which is why I've gone away from usb entirely.

Simply put, its much easier for a manufacturer/designer to use usb v network hardware wise.

The 505 works flawlessly outside the confines of usb.

if the same data is entering the dac the dac will do what it was designed to do. Hardwired network connections rarely-if ever drop out.
wassup likes this.
post #45 of 49 Old 06-24-2019, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I acquired a NT505 a couple of weeks back and have zero regrets. It's a material upgrade in sound quality from the Bluesound Note 2, which was an upgrade from my previous Yamaha WXC-50. Both of the latter have found other good use in my home. But, for the higher end equipment, this TEAC really shines.

IMO, the control app is nowhere as good as the Blue OS used by Bluesound and NAD. To connect it to my NAS, the TEAC requires a third party freeware. The local file play from the freeware works okay, but not great. I tried out Roon and simply have not looked back. I set up Roon on my Synology ds718+ NAS after I upgraded the RAM and added an external SDD for Roon only. Roon works perfectly fine on the Synology.

As for the lack of WiFi on the TEAC, it was a concern because I wasn't looking forward to the cost and hassle of having an Ethernet cable run. So, I tried out a NETGEAR Wi-Fi Mesh Range Extender EX7300 with a built in Ethernet slot and playback from my NAS and Tidal (even MQA files) are being done without a hiccup. The only thing I had to do was change my wifi router to a specific static channel instead of auto-pick. I've been using the TEAC and Roon set up this way for two weeks and (knock on wood), all is well!
wassup likes this.
post #46 of 49 Old 06-25-2019, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I have a very old TEAC dac (no streaming) UD-H01... the issue is the TEAC windows drivers which are from 2014 and never certified on Win10.
I have a Teac A-H01, which is pretty much the same but with built in an amp. Win10 1703 added native support for USB audio (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-audio-drivers) and I have had no major issues since. The Teac drivers for windows were always garbage, just uninstall them if you can. USB drivers can be tricky to scrub and may put up a fight, good luck!
post #47 of 49 Old 11-06-2019, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi,
Has anyone out there had chance to compare UD-505 with either PS Audio DirectStream DSD, or with Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ (or Bridge)?
I'm considering all of the above to upgrade from my integrated amp. I'm using Roon Rock for streaming and playing ripped content.
Thanks,
Ron
post #48 of 49 Old 11-25-2019, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinman77 View Post
Hi,
Has anyone out there had chance to compare UD-505 with either PS Audio DirectStream DSD, or with Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ (or Bridge)?
I'm considering all of the above to upgrade from my integrated amp. I'm using Roon Rock for streaming and playing ripped content.
Thanks,
Ron
I have settled on the NT-505. I had a problem with the first one I received but HiFi Heaven expedited a replacement unit--I just received it today. While I had the first one in my possession I compared it head-to-head with the PS Audio DirectStream DSD. On most material I could hear a difference, but it was not very pronounced. So for me the TEAC was a better choice at half the price, (compared to a used DirectStream with Bridge II). The TEAC has really good detail but is not in any way harsh, and the imaging is outstanding. I am running it primarily as a roon endpoint, but the first one I received had some network problem so I had to play via Toslink for my listening tests with the DirectStream.
I am now listening via roon with Tidal, and it sounds outstanding. It's able to perform the full MQA unfold, but I haven't done much listening of MQA vs. non MQA material. But 99% of my listening will be red book, so it's not a high priority for me. I will do some comparison of the various filtering and upsampling options on the TEAC. I'd be interested to hear anybody else's experience with this.
This is my first dedicated DAC in my home audio setup--I've use a Marantz SR6012 integrated amp up to this point. That sounds very decent, but this is a huge step up to my ears.
post #49 of 49 Old 02-10-2020, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

sorry for reviving an old thread, but I haven't found a single professional review of TEAC nt-505 in the English language! Is this possible? Have you found any english reviews that you would like to share with me?
(I have found professional Dutch, Swedish, and German reviews only)

Thanks a lot, from a TEAC prospect buyer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page