Best Media palyer for Sony 65 AF9: une Pro 4k, Zidoo Z9s/Z10, Zappiti 4k , Egreat a10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By silver-eye
  • 1 Post By nc88keyz
  • 1 Post By nc88keyz
  • 1 Post By silver-eye
  • 1 Post By nc88keyz

post #1 of 22 Old 02-02-2019, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best Media player for Sony 65 AF9: Dune Pro 4k, Zidoo Z9s/Z10, Zappiti 4k, Egreat a11

Hi guys

I Just bought this spectacular tv but now I'd like some advice.

Dune Pro 4k, Zidoo Z9s/Z10, Zappiti 4k , Egreat a10... Which of these would you recommend?

What I care about are:

picture quality,
framerate 23,976
no shuttering
100% compatibility with 1:1 4k iso /hdr/hvec/4k untouched.

The price is not a problem.

Last edited by Marcus Lame; 02-02-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-02-2019, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 282
None will do DV is that a problem or are you ok with HDR ...maybe HDR10+ down the road but no guarantees.

Zidoo z9 would be excellent choice or z10 depending on your storage requirements and aesthetics. Zidoo has fixed the x9s framerate issues as well for a bargain buster but continued support at some point will be with the z series.

Last edited by nc88keyz; 02-02-2019 at 02:26 AM.
post #3 of 22 Old 02-02-2019, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, for you the best choice could be the Zidoo z9/z10, and what about the others players I mentioned?

Why do you prefer the Zidoo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 02-02-2019, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Organization wise (media library) I prefer the Zappiti x10000 .

The stutter issues, mentioned in several forum's, were solved with the last update with the correct options.

The only thing I think that the zidoo gets advantage, is the "on the fly" changes on the Contrast/brightness/hue/saturation settings, as the zappiti dont have them.

There are no perfect boxes, but I think the Z9/z10 or Zappiti 4k HDR are the best options for the moment.

I would recommend for you to view a couple of youtube videos, with the UI differences.

By the way, I have a Zappiti 4k HDR One, on my main set, and a Zidoo Z9 in a bedroom, to stream from my Zappiti.
nc88keyz likes this.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-02-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

zidoo x series is and will likely remain android 6.0.

zidoo z series is 7.0 and has a brighter future for support.

I tried the egreat a5 and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Seemed very polished on the outside and gui initially but I just didnt care for it in the end. It actually sat on shelf for 6 to 8 months thinking a big update would solve it with 7.0. They might have delivered it but I sold it before hand and had no desire to retrace that path. They kept stating they would but delayed response.

I had heard zappiti was a good player as well as dune but my main reason for zidoo were cost and support. I would say more firmware updates than any of them. Just for curiosity I glanced at dune updates and zappiti. Zidoo was a game changer with HT 2.0, their new front end and media management. It gave new life to the zidoo products and they are listening and doing great things with it. I give the nod to zidoo. Important to note that the newest dune s and zappiti are the same hardware...some even believe build by zidoo suppliers. It reasonable to believe based on those pictures out there of the comparision of the streamers.

Zidoo sw engineers are taking cues from a couple avs members too that own vertex devices making them very much acceptable for projector owners. It says a lot when the sw engineers are listening and taking action.

Note: never owned zappiti... almost picked up one at the same time as the x9s and egreat a5 for a triple trial but decided that 2 would be enough for that time.

Also, just used up some Ebay bucks for a z9s as well. Currently have 3 x9s laying around. Just missed a z10 auction by 4 dollars on max bid. I figured if it was within 30 of a new one I would just go new. but cosmetically i like the way it looks. Wouldn't ever use the internal drive slot though, so z9s it is and am looking forward to the latest updates and improvement from zidoo in the pipeline.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-02-2019, 09:11 AM

@nc88keyz

Fully agree.
Lets see if the likes like zappiti, will not launch a new player, with the new realtek chip.

The fact that the zidoo have an updated chipset, with a newer android OS, will guarantee a "longer" future.

I actually chose the z9 for a second media player, because in my bedroom I have a small "low cost" projector (a Xgimi z6 polar) and the zidoo makes wonders, especially with the on the fly settings.

Very happy with the set.. Just the "library" of the zidoo that gits my nerves, here and there, but I can live happily with that
post #7 of 22 Old 02-02-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Lame View Post
Ok, for you the best choice could be the Zidoo z9/z10, and what about the others players I mentioned?

Why do you prefer the Zidoo?
Because it checks off all of your boxes and then some. Zidoo does not support DV and I do not think it ever will as Dolby will never licence DV to a media box company. However it does support UHD 4K HDR meta data with the last firmware update.

Zidoo's Home Theater 2 scrapper does a great job of organizing and allowing for sorting along with child restrictions if you need them. It's different but I would put it on par with Zappiti's scrapper or DuneHD's "My Collection"
post #8 of 22 Old 02-02-2019, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

And what about nvidia shields and apple tv 4k?
post #9 of 22 Old 02-02-2019, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And what about nvidia shields and apple tv 4k?
If  money is of no object. just get a shield appletv and a zidoo and a NAS. all problems solved. DV from appletv, Kodi from shield with best processor for skins etc. for your 4k media etc. zidoo is the best for iso, bdmv support and 3d which unless you have a projector is irrelevant with your OLED. While iso and bdmv support it good with shield. It is far superior on the zidoo.  zdmc , the kodi branch is a bit of a slug on the zidoo. I dont find it good at all even though it can turn all player calls over to the realtek native player which is near perfect.

This is my media player rack currently and I also have a gen 5 haswell nuc. but that is rarely used these days with zidoo taking over 3d duties fully. Oppo 203 BD with special sauce may find itself on the for sale block someday in the future. it is the only device owned that will playback dv. from bdmv or network. but no eye candy whatsoever front end Wise.  It would definately not come in at a bargain. All these devices take up hdmi ports as well. Be prepared for that scenario and more than average updates requires...however with that said harmony elite will control them all with finesse.

If I had to choose two it would.be the following.

ATV and Zidoo. I use the HTPC mostly for couples shopping in the living room now. The shield is not used for gaming of any kind. I just find it an awesome 2d kodi experience. I give all 4k and 3d activity to the zidoo x9s But I could live with ATV 2d 4k for that using a few select apps. Have to have the zidoo for my 3d and prefer 4k playback on the realtek chip. It's right near bliss.

One other thing to note is ATV will not currently bitstream DTS-HD TrueHD Atmos or DTS-x. Atmos through iTunes uses MAT is great for iTunes Netflix etc. but not for you iso,bdmv local media. Shield has no issues bit streaming.

I hope this is helpful. Netflix and Amazon is more polished experience on ATV. Dont care
about the rest. Do you? They really all are impressive boxes in their own right.

The appletv is the only steamer on market with DV. Notice I said streamer and off the shelf. edit: I guess the firestick 4k does this too now, maybe roku has something too now. Maybe I am dead wrong on that statement. but ATV 4k did it first! legally that is.

Last edited by nc88keyz; 02-02-2019 at 09:19 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-03-2019, 01:48 AM

@nc88keyz

Gotta ask,

where did you buy those small racks, for the zidoo and remotes? Looking for something just like that
post #11 of 22 Old 02-03-2019, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-eye View Post
@nc88keyz

Gotta ask,

where did you buy those small racks, for the zidoo and remotes? Looking for something just like that
search for radiator shelf on aliexpress maybe Amazon. They are router shelves for switches. I bought a bunch of them for switches and routers and streamers. the cost of them was very cheap. come in 3 and five tier or two tier. like Lincoln logs. make your own. shipping unfortunately was 100% of the products. Paid like 120 for like 13 shelves all in all. make sure you translate with Google and read well of the dimensions I have like 45 some fans. too that are USB. they are loud AF. and useless. but the shelves are great and flexible.

edit router fan shelves on aliexpress. There are tons of options. If you want my exact vendor I can track it down I think.
silver-eye likes this.

Last edited by nc88keyz; 02-03-2019 at 02:45 AM.
post #12 of 22 Old 02-03-2019, 02:53 AM

@nc88keyz

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to take a look
post #13 of 22 Old 02-03-2019, 02:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-eye View Post
@nc88keyz

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to take a look
I dont know what is going on with those prices. I played 11 dollars for 3 tier shelves and 8 for 2 tier shelves and 5 for singles. like I said I bought 2 3 tier, 4 two tier and 3 single tiers. I might be wrong on quantity but price was right. shipping was like 63 dollars from China. so it was between 130-140 maybe. I'll find the site I ordered from. I dont think it was aliexpress after all. it was a Chinese market though. and customer service was a challenge because they sent wrong height posts .. I have an entire set of extra posts for my entire order. also shorted me 100s of fan screws. but they made right on it after I contacted them. took another 4 weeks almost though and like I said the fans are trash anyways.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-03-2019, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post
I dont know what is going on with those prices. I played 11 dollars for 3 tier shelves and 8 for 2 tier shelves and 5 for singles. like I said I bought 2 3 tier, 4 two tier and 3 single tiers. I might be wrong on quantity but price was right. shipping was like 63 dollars from China. so it was between 130-140 maybe. I'll find the site I ordered from. I dont think it was aliexpress after all. it was a Chinese market though. and customer service was a challenge because they sent wrong height posts .. I have an entire set of extra posts for my entire order. also shorted me 100s of fan screws. but they made right on it after I contacted them. took another 4 weeks almost though and like I said the fans are trash anyways.
https://www.ebuy7.com/item/536019920632

dont know if they are the cheapest, but you can see the engineering diagrams for the specs you desire. aliexpress might be cheaper than ebuys in the end since many offer free shipping / handling. It will get you started anyways.

also you can look at tons of pictures from the west of those shelves in use for zidoo boxes etc, that is what gave me the idea on dimensions etc desired. Here to help if you have any questions.

or just PM me

another link through google for you: https://www.google.com/search?biw=19...HWQtubCYhxRHM:
silver-eye likes this.

Last edited by nc88keyz; 02-03-2019 at 03:27 AM.
post #15 of 22 Old 02-03-2019, 05:51 AM

@nc88keyz

Cheers for that! Really appreciate the info!

Already looking/searching and taking measurements. I will place an order soon
nc88keyz likes this.
post #16 of 22 Old 02-03-2019, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If  money is of no object. just get a shield appletv and a zidoo and a NAS. all problems solved. DV from appletv, Kodi from shield with best processor for skins etc. for your 4k media etc. zidoo is the best for iso, bdmv support and 3d which unless you have a projector is irrelevant with your OLED. While iso and bdmv support it good with shield. It is far superior on the zidoo.  zdmc , the kodi branch is a bit of a slug on the zidoo. I dont find it good at all even though it can turn all player calls over to the realtek native player which is near perfect.
I don't care games , I don't care 3d and library...

With ATV can I play iso 4k, folder iso 4k with structure, hevc and any other format like zidoo ?
Or I had to buy both the devices? atv for netflix and zidoo for the rest?
post #17 of 22 Old 02-03-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't care games , I don't care 3d and library...

With ATV can I play iso 4k, folder iso 4k with structure, hevc and any other format like zidoo ?

Or I had to buy both the devices? atv for netflix and zidoo for the rest?
I think that is an excellent choice. ATV for all streaming in 4k. and the zidoo to hadle your ISos. with lossless audio atmos dtsx.

sound like you made a decision. z9s for co tinued support or leading edge. x9s for a proven system but updates will eventually cease. both are frame perfecto!

most of all try not to live on avs like we do and enjoy your stuff!
post #18 of 22 Old 02-03-2019, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think that is an excellent choice. ATV for all streaming in 4k. and the zidoo to hadle your ISos. with lossless audio atmos dtsx.
Isos=?

You said that atv+ z9s is the best choice, and It could be like this, but the question was if atv can play all that stuff like the zidoo.
Seems a little strange that Atv can play iso 1:1 4k image or folder , mkv untouched 4k etc...Becouse if so, it would be enough...in addition to a Nas
(Synology Diskstation DS218PLAY would be enough?)

I prefer the new z9s to x9. And if ATV can't give me the certainty to play all that format I've decided for this, saving money for the nas.
Netflix at the moment is less important then 4k iso and mkv
post #19 of 22 Old 02-03-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

look into infuse. its 6.99 annually as an app. for ATV 4k. It does a great job with bdmv . someone else might be able to comment on iso. I'm watching the game right now, but at this time you get no bit streaming OR the big one object based audio formats. MAT does not work with infuse kodi (dev account t required) or mclite on tvos at this time and am doubtful it will ever.

Get a zidoo for your Iso, bdmv remux mkv whatever. It's just that simple. I gave you my winning combination. ...

ATV plus Z9s and your synology should be fine as it has gigabit ethernet and it's just a file server.

you want ISo playback with menus ... the zidoo is as close as you will get to optical disc performance. and a pretty nice front end.
Marcus Lame likes this.

Last edited by nc88keyz; 02-04-2019 at 01:29 AM.
post #20 of 22 Old 02-03-2019, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 730
For a summary of the advice already posted, see here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...yer-list.html#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #21 of 22 Old 05-14-2020, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
If i rewind the scene, the issue doesn't recur
I hate to say it, but that sounds more like a NAS or network issue. What you are describing is buffering. The scene a big file, and is still loading up. You rewind it and it's been loaded. It sounds like you need faster storage to me, and not a new player, but that's just my opinion.
post #22 of 22 Old 05-15-2020, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Dont know why you removed your post about the drive being internal, that's a valid point. I'll stick to my guns though and say it can still be transfer speed, but also point out that a 90GB file seems rather large, even for a 4K movie. What kind of HDD are you using?

Someone else may disagree with me and thats fine. I've only used Popcorn Hours and Zappitis so far, and don't have that many movies at 4k (some at 3D also, which are about the same file size).

Last edited by ajohnson30; 05-15-2020 at 09:41 AM. Reason: didn't mean to quote myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page