Itunes and Bluesound - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yiannis_K
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-09-2019, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Danno99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Itunes and Bluesound

Hi all,
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but in the past I've been able to stream the Itunes on my Iphone to my Bluesound 2, but suddenly I cannot.
I got some BS technical answer about Metadata and Apple blocking it, but they never really answered my question.
Is this no longer possible? will it ever be possible again?
This was a big reason for me to buy the Bluesound but I can't get a definitive answer from them.

Dan
Danno99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 02-10-2019, 02:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno99 View Post
Hi all,
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but in the past I've been able to stream the Itunes on my Iphone to my Bluesound 2, but suddenly I cannot.
I got some BS technical answer about Metadata and Apple blocking it, but they never really answered my question.
Is this no longer possible? will it ever be possible again?
This was a big reason for me to buy the Bluesound but I can't get a definitive answer from them.

Dan
Dan, I totally empathise and I found myself in the same situation. I had the Node 2 a while back and the ability to play iTunes tracks from my phone was suddenly removed. I engaged with Bluesound and also received a strange response claiming that somehow Apple does not not allow this any more. My Sonos has no problem with this (playing iTunes tracks directly from iPhone). Unfortunately I did not receive any resolution from Bluesound and ended up selling it (Kept Sonos). I am very sorry I can't help but I can confirm that Bluesound has definitely removed this functionality for reasons that did not make sense to me.
Danno99 likes this.
Yiannis_K is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 02-10-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bambam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,061
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Maybe because iTunes doesn't stream in high res? Bluesound is a high res platform, so they usually favor Tidal and Qobuz over lesser quality streams. Just a thought.
bambam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 02-11-2019, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Danno99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiannis_K View Post
Dan, I totally empathise and I found myself in the same situation. I had the Node 2 a while back and the ability to play iTunes tracks from my phone was suddenly removed. I engaged with Bluesound and also received a strange response claiming that somehow Apple does not not allow this any more. My Sonos has no problem with this (playing iTunes tracks directly from iPhone). Unfortunately I did not receive any resolution from Bluesound and ended up selling it (Kept Sonos). I am very sorry I can't help but I can confirm that Bluesound has definitely removed this functionality for reasons that did not make sense to me.
I finally got a response from them, and you're correct....Apple said that they had to remove this option because of security.
Now I'm wondering what the heck I can use my Bluesound node for since I had to quit Tidal because it was too expensive.

I should still be able to stream music on my laptop or any other place my tunes are located, no?
I've had the Sonos system but grabbed the Bluesound so I could stream MQA files directly to my home speakers, and not the Sonos speakers. Now i don't know what the heck to do?
Danno99 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 02-11-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gprace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Norwalk, Ct
Posts: 3,151
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 12081
Bluesound seems to be unresponsive to users in general. I have the Vault 2 and for a long time have been asking why it cannot list many albums and artists consistently. Also they do not want to make user editing (to allow corrections) available. Even my old Escient Fireball permitted edits. Shame on Bluesound.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
gprace is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 02-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno99 View Post
I finally got a response from them, and you're correct....Apple said that they had to remove this option because of security.
Now I'm wondering what the heck I can use my Bluesound node for since I had to quit Tidal because it was too expensive.

I should still be able to stream music on my laptop or any other place my tunes are located, no?
I've had the Sonos system but grabbed the Bluesound so I could stream MQA files directly to my home speakers, and not the Sonos speakers. Now i don't know what the heck to do?
Totally agree with you, we should be able to access tracks stored locally on our phone. It is not just itunes tracks by the way. I am using an additional app called Vox which allows for storing tracks locally. They are not accessible either. As a comparison the sonos app on the same phone allows me to access tracks stored locally. I have had the same (bad) experience with Bluesound customer support. Responsive but not effective in solving anything.

As I understand it you have the option to try and set up a network share that includes your itunes library. This way should allow you to play your music although not from your phone directly. Be aware that setting up a network share that works with Bluesound is (unfortunately) not totally straigthforward. Bluesound offers a step by step guide online but it does not always work and you might have to call them again for help.
The other option is to copy all your itunes tracks on a usb stick and attach that to the back of the Node 2. It will take some time for Bluesound to index your music but you should then be able to play.
Finally, you could start a subscription with Roon which can (with limitations) stream your itunes music to the Node 2. There are issues here as well unfortunately.

I am sorry about these limitations, I have had to face them as well :-(
Yiannis_K is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 02-12-2019, 12:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
Bluesound seems to be unresponsive to users in general. I have the Vault 2 and for a long time have been asking why it cannot list many albums and artists consistently. Also they do not want to make user editing (to allow corrections) available. Even my old Escient Fireball permitted edits. Shame on Bluesound.
I found them responsive but in a strange and ineffective way. It takes A LOT of back and forth before they start looking at a problem and then they tended to throw the ball back (e.g. blame my network, blame Apple's security, blame my firewall, blame Roon, etc etc.). And even then, they have not been able to resolve the issues I faced.

What is worse, from December 2018 onwards they started becoming even less responsive, taking 3-5 days before responding. I was trying to resolve an issue with units disappearing from network randomly and also 5 second chopped songs. It was taking them 3-4 days between each response via email and that meant a long long time before we could get to the actual issue at hand. No resolution in the end and I gave up. You might be more fortunate though and of course not everyone encounters problems. Judging from the good reviews and positive posts on various forums, it looks like some users are very happy with trouble free operation.
Yiannis_K is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 02-12-2019, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Danno99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiannis_K View Post
Totally agree with you, we should be able to access tracks stored locally on our phone. It is not just itunes tracks by the way. I am using an additional app called Vox which allows for storing tracks locally. They are not accessible either. As a comparison the sonos app on the same phone allows me to access tracks stored locally. I have had the same (bad) experience with Bluesound customer support. Responsive but not effective in solving anything.

As I understand it you have the option to try and set up a network share that includes your itunes library. This way should allow you to play your music although not from your phone directly. Be aware that setting up a network share that works with Bluesound is (unfortunately) not totally straigthforward. Bluesound offers a step by step guide online but it does not always work and you might have to call them again for help.
The other option is to copy all your itunes tracks on a usb stick and attach that to the back of the Node 2. It will take some time for Bluesound to index your music but you should then be able to play.
Finally, you could start a subscription with Roon which can (with limitations) stream your itunes music to the Node 2. There are issues here as well unfortunately.

I am sorry about these limitations, I have had to face them as well :-(
How do I copy my Itunes to a USB stick?

Dan
Danno99 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 02-12-2019, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Danno99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno99 View Post
I finally got a response from them, and you're correct....Apple said that they had to remove this option because of security.
Now I'm wondering what the heck I can use my Bluesound node for since I had to quit Tidal because it was too expensive.

I should still be able to stream music on my laptop or any other place my tunes are located, no?
I've had the Sonos system but grabbed the Bluesound so I could stream MQA files directly to my home speakers, and not the Sonos speakers. Now i don't know what the heck to do?
This was their response to my question regarding not being able to stream from my Iphone.
Still trying to dissect this.



Hi Dan,

Play from mobile was removed due to security risks on iOS/Android according to our Engineering team.

You may still utilize Bluetooth from the mobile device in question to play the music stored on the mobile device if you prefer - https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en...with-Bluesound

This also includes using an analog connection from the mobile device in question, which connects directly to your Gen 2 OR Gen 2i player's Analog Input to provide native playback from the device in question, with the files themselves being played in this manner.

We sincerely apologize regarding this news.
Danno99 is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 02-12-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
airgas1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 42 2 30 degs N 92 54 52 degs W
Posts: 2,486
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 173
just like why no pandora....i don't use it but it's still strange. their new nad m10 streamer is w/out it as well.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....55" Oled Lg C7 55" Samsung B8500 Fald Channel Master Dvr+ Onkyo RZ900 avr Crown xls 2002 2ch amp Samsung K8500 UBR player Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Svs Satellite Surrounds Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub Bluesound Node 2I 2nd zone room: polk lsim 703's
airgas1998 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Danno99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiannis_K View Post
Totally agree with you, we should be able to access tracks stored locally on our phone. It is not just itunes tracks by the way. I am using an additional app called Vox which allows for storing tracks locally. They are not accessible either. As a comparison the sonos app on the same phone allows me to access tracks stored locally. I have had the same (bad) experience with Bluesound customer support. Responsive but not effective in solving anything.

As I understand it you have the option to try and set up a network share that includes your itunes library. This way should allow you to play your music although not from your phone directly. Be aware that setting up a network share that works with Bluesound is (unfortunately) not totally straigthforward. Bluesound offers a step by step guide online but it does not always work and you might have to call them again for help.
The other option is to copy all your itunes tracks on a usb stick and attach that to the back of the Node 2. It will take some time for Bluesound to index your music but you should then be able to play.
Finally, you could start a subscription with Roon which can (with limitations) stream your itunes music to the Node 2. There are issues here as well unfortunately.

I am sorry about these limitations, I have had to face them as well :-(
I got this response from them when I asked about the ability to stream from my phone no longer being available.
This is what they responded with. If anyone can select the link and follow their directions, you're a better man than I am.
I made it as far as getting the suggested USB adapter, but I haven't progressed any further due to a lack of time.




Play from mobile was removed due to security risks on iOS/Android according to our Engineering team.

You may still utilize Bluetooth from the mobile device in question to play the music stored on the mobile device if you prefer - https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en...with-Bluesound

This also includes using an analog connection from the mobile device in question, which connects directly to your Gen 2 OR Gen 2i player's Analog Input to provide native playback from the device in question, with the files themselves being played in this manner.



I have no idea what they're talking about??
Danno99 is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 02-24-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 9,402
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno99 View Post
How do I copy my Itunes to a USB stick?

Dan
You can move iTunes files to a USB stick like any other file.

DRM protected iTunes files won't survive the move with the ability to play back. I think I remember it was now possible to get non DRM iTunes files also... I don't know much about that.

I also don't know much about removing DRM from iTunes files. Seems easy with certain tools but it's not allowed and I haven't had the need or desire to do it.

If you can get other files without DRM then you should be able to put those on any storage medium you want. I have high res audio files from some of my box sets. Those are kind of illegit in some ways ... But, I did buy the box sets.

The 24/96 and 5.1 files of Meddle in particular are extra special as they are hidden on the discs of the first pressing of a big box set without any way to use them without doing something in the gray area.

-Brian
Brian Hampton is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 03-24-2019, 01:40 PM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Bluesound node 2i and iTunes library

I would like to by Bluesound node 2i but I’m not sure if it will recognize my iTunes library. I plan to use the node 2i with my home theater and hook it up to my receiver. I’m not planning on Tidal right now and aside from my CD’s iTunes is where all my music is. Thanks
bokap is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off