Nvidia Shield vs Apple TV 4K - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Nvidia Shield vs Apple TV 4K
Nvidia Shield 69 58.97%
Apple TV 4K 48 41.03%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #31 of 123 Old 07-23-2019, 04:15 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9747 Post(s)
Liked: 6420
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl4ck View Post
I don't know maybe you don't see difference I tested sat tuner vu+ ultimo 4k, shield tv, xbox, pc and all give other quality.
The XB1X and PS4 pro are at the bottom of my list for streamers.
That was the main reason I first got a ATV4K. Because using the XB1X for streaming was too painful. Not to mention the forced HDR on netflix which is crazy.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 123 Old 07-23-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
I just can't get my head around constant device switching to match capabilities and/or marginal differences in SQ/PQ. Those talking about using 3/4/5+ different devices depending on content type just baffle me. I use a Shield for all viewing in my theater as well as Plex Server. I have an XBox One in that location as well but I've been so underwhelmed by the Atmos content available on Netflix that I don't even bother switching inputs for it (even with a Harmony remote). I don't have to deal with DV (front projection) so maybe that would be enough to push me over the edge, but even then I'm not sure I'd go to the trouble for DV from streaming and rips, and would probably prioritize TrueHD/Atmos for rips over DV anyway.
If you have a Logitech Harmony remote, as I do, which changes all the inputs (TV, AVR, wakes up the one input and puts the other to sleep) with the touch of one button... And if you're taking about an Nvidia shield and an ATV4K (as we are in this thread), which "wake up" and are ready-to-go practically instantly, it's literally as seamless as staying within the same (either) device and navigating back to the home screen to switch apps....

I've been doing this whole "networking, media servers, and content streaming" thing for a fair amount of time now.... I remember using WDTV Live SMPs for RIPs and waiting for Ceton Echos to boot (18 ish seconds of I recall?).... Having to power them off because just having them on but idling was sucking up to much of my Win7 WMC PC resources.... It's not like that anymore. We've come a long way...
post #33 of 123 Old 07-23-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I've been through WDTV Lives, HTPCs, jailbroken ATV2s, every generation of Roku, and even burned DIVX CDs on the original Bravo D1 scaling DVD player way back in the day... which is maybe why I'm a little burned out on all of it and just want one thing to cover my main use cases competently. Right now, the ShieldTV does that. If I can't even be bothered to switch on the XBox One (that I already own) for Netflix Atmos, I can't fathom an ATV4K for the same purpose (along with another $150 outlay). Heck, if I've already seen the UHD disc once, I usually won't even switch over to my X800 and load the disc... I'll just flip to Vudu and be content with one less trip up/off the couch.

It's the user above that outlined 4 or 5 different devices they use for different content types that really blows me away more than anything else. In my theater, I have a single streaming device (that's also my Plex server), a single UHD disc player, and a single gaming console. I'm only 36 years old... surely I'm not THAT much of a curmudgeon already.
JD23, psuKinger and beerhunt like this.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 123 Old 07-23-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can you write something more about quality atv vs shield vs oppo? I have shield and for me colors and quality is bad much better is on xbox one x. I know oppo is the best but how good is atv?
Greetings.

As others suggested I don't think you should be having color space problems with your shield anymore if it's remotely close to up-to-date. Color space mapping problems WERE a thing that plagued shield owners but that's been addressed for quite some time now... Sounds like you've got a settings problem, either with your shield or your tv. Is your tv set to something like"automatic" for color space? You probablyshouldn't be forcing it into any one mode... Shield should be set to 10-bit 4:2:0 BT.2020. There's when an advanced colorimetry setting now to have it automatically switch into BT.709 and BT.2020 as appropriate.

The only"problem" with Shield PQ (other than the lack of support for DV) is resolution upscaling of 2k (or lower) native content to 4k before outputting to the TV... If Shield could do the same thing for resolution that it does for color space and automatically switch into and out of 2k resolution settings, that would be ideal. The ATV does a better job at 2k-->4k upscaling. I still wish it would let the TV do it too, but it does a noticably better job ( especially at close viewing distances).

The OPPO is great. I wish they hadn't quite making them. Great PQ. Great SQ. Great controls. Great features. Fantastic box.
aaronwt likes this.
post #35 of 123 Old 07-23-2019, 04:44 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
If you have a Logitech Harmony remote, as I do, which changes all the inputs (TV, AVR, wakes up the one input and puts the other to sleep) with the touch of one button... And if you're taking about an Nvidia shield and an ATV4K (as we are in this thread), which "wake up" and are ready-to-go practically instantly, it's literally as seamless as staying within the same (either) device and navigating back to the home screen to switch apps....

I've been doing this whole "networking, media servers, and content streaming" thing for a fair amount of time now.... I remember using WDTV Live SMPs for RIPs and waiting for Ceton Echos to boot (18 ish seconds of I recall?).... Having to power them off because just having them on but idling was sucking up to much of my Win7 WMC PC resources.... It's not like that anymore. We've come a long way...
Yes. Without my Harmony remotes and Harmony Hubs, I would go crazy trying to remember which inputs and which switches and ports everything is connected to. My only complaint is that the Harmony only has a 15 device limit. Which I've exceeded in both of my UHD setups. But I try to get around that by using the same model HDMi switches in the setups. So at least I only need one model HDMi switch in my Harmony setup instead of three.
ng4ever likes this.

post #36 of 123 Old 07-23-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
I've been through WDTV Lives, HTPCs, jailbroken ATV2s, every generation of Roku, and even burned DIVX CDs on the original Bravo D1 scaling DVD player way back in the day... which is maybe why I'm a little burned out on all of it and just want one thing to cover my main use cases competently. Right now, the ShieldTV does that. If I can't even be bothered to switch on the XBox One (that I already own) for Netflix Atmos, I can't fathom an ATV4K for the same purpose (along with another $150 outlay). Heck, if I've already seen the UHD disc once, I usually won't even switch over to my X800 and load the disc... I'll just flip to Vudu and be content with one less trip up/off the couch.

It's the user above that outlined 4 or 5 different devices they use for different content types that really blows me away more than anything else. In my theater, I have a single streaming device (that's also my Plex server), a single UHD disc player, and a single gaming console. I'm only 36 years old... surely I'm not THAT much of a curmudgeon already.
1. Sounds like we're about the same age, and both been at this for about the same length of time... I'm 35 and relate to a lot of that.
2. Overall, I find the Shield to be a better all-in-one swiss-army-knife (at least for my use-cases) than any of the others, including ATV... If I could only have one, it'd be the one, no question about it.
2. I don't disagree/deny that there is (or at least, for me, *was*) some appeal to a "one-box-solution" for everything. Up until about 2 years ago, that was a priority of mine as well, ,for similar reasons as you outlined above. But as I've made some fairly substantial upgrades to my system over the last two years, it's caused me to reevaluate the value of that one-box-solution elegance vs. adding an additional box (or two or three) if it adds additional features/capabilities that help me make the most of that fairly-substantial-for-me investment...
post #37 of 123 Old 07-24-2019, 02:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I agree with Stephen Hopkins. We only have so many HDMI inputs. I know many here are fanatics. To change entire platforms for minute differences baffles me. Well them again, I am using 2.1 channel audio!
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #38 of 123 Old 07-24-2019, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 998
In my dedicated home theater with 4K projector and Atmos speaker setup, I love to keep things simple as possible. So, I haven't given up the one source does everything notion and my one box is ATV4K.

That said, There are two TVs in the house. One TV just for video games but it also has a Roku and another TV on the second floor that has only a Roku.

(no one asked but we get no over the air reception and I've never paid for cable. I've never managed a DVR. I used to use a HTPC (with Jriver/MadVR) but it's now the plex server in a remote corner of the basement with 4 NAS units and 30TB of backed up Blu Rays. Whenever I get the chance I replace content from my plex server with iTunes copies.The point being everyone has a viewing style with it's own needs.)

-Brian
TriTon464 likes this.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 07-24-2019 at 04:48 AM.
post #39 of 123 Old 07-24-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Yeah, I've been doing HT for nearly 20 years now and media servers/clients for 12-13... I think I'm now in a phase of wanting things to just work (but not quite Apple TV levels of just work). I've also shifted more of my time/thought to home automation, whole-home A/V, and general whole-home integration vs. just focusing on milking the most out of a single room/setup (and the Shield, as Plex Server, plays its role in that as well). I now have 6 displays and 9 total rooms that all work together seamlessly with a single voice assistant and a single display UI which has been far more valuable in day-to-day use than focusing time/money on very small incremental improvements to an already well-functioning theater setup.

If I had another capable server running somewhere in the house, an ATV4K would probably be more of a consideration, but I've ditched local servers altogether and use the cloud for all my non-media server functionality. More than anything, I've grown more (maybe too) pragmatic in the last 5 years and just don't want to spend the time tweaking once I have something working. I'm less and less interested in that last 5% of performance that sucks up 95% of your time to obtain and make use of. The need to change color-space manually on the Shield was making me grow weary of it, but the Colorimetry update has really sealed it as the absolute best at being good enough.
Gator99 and TriTon464 like this.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify

Last edited by Stephen Hopkins; 07-24-2019 at 11:32 AM.
post #40 of 123 Old 07-24-2019, 01:35 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
In my dedicated home theater with 4K projector and Atmos speaker setup, I love to keep things simple as possible. So, I haven't given up the one source does everything notion and my one box is ATV4K.

That said, There are two TVs in the house. One TV just for video games but it also has a Roku and another TV on the second floor that has only a Roku.

(no one asked but we get no over the air reception and I've never paid for cable. I've never managed a DVR. I used to use a HTPC (with Jriver/MadVR) but it's now the plex server in a remote corner of the basement with 4 NAS units and 30TB of backed up Blu Rays. Whenever I get the chance I replace content from my plex server with iTunes copies.The point being everyone has a viewing style with it's own needs.)

-Brian
I would be extremely unhappy if I tried to use my ATV 4K boxes for everything. But then I can say the same about my Shield TVs. Neither Box has access to everything I want. And they never will.
ng4ever likes this.

post #41 of 123 Old 07-25-2019, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
As others suggested I don't think you should be having color space problems with your shield anymore if it's remotely close to up-to-date. Color space mapping problems WERE a thing that plagued shield owners but that's been addressed for quite some time now... Sounds like you've got a settings problem, either with your shield or your tv. Is your tv set to something like"automatic" for color space? You probablyshouldn't be forcing it into any one mode... Shield should be set to 10-bit 4:2:0 BT.2020. There's when an advanced colorimetry setting now to have it automatically switch into BT.709 and BT.2020 as appropriate.

The only"problem" with Shield PQ (other than the lack of support for DV) is resolution upscaling of 2k (or lower) native content to 4k before outputting to the TV... If Shield could do the same thing for resolution that it does for color space and automatically switch into and out of 2k resolution settings, that would be ideal. The ATV does a better job at 2k-->4k upscaling. I still wish it would let the TV do it too, but it does a noticably better job ( especially at close viewing distances).

The OPPO is great. I wish they hadn't quite making them. Great PQ. Great SQ. Great controls. Great features. Fantastic box.
Hello I don't have problems with hdr \ colors because my TV is 1080p

I'm just saying that shield tv have bad quality image, my pc with madvr or xbox one x destroy it, better colors and quality.

I'm just asked how good is apple tv 4k vs oppo ? quality image vs quality image?

"The OPPO is great. I wish they hadn't quite making them" there is clone or ca cxuhd ...

thx
post #42 of 123 Old 07-25-2019, 07:14 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Hello I don't have problems with hdr \ colors because my TV is 1080p

I'm just saying that shield tv have bad quality image, my pc with madvr or xbox one x destroy it, better colors and quality.

I'm just asked how good is apple tv 4k vs oppo ? quality image vs quality image?

"The OPPO is great. I wish they hadn't quite making them" there is clone or ca cxuhd ...

thx
The colors from my shield tv look the same as the colors from my xb1x. They both can look vibrant and colorful depending on the content. And they ATV4K can look the same way.
This is the case with two UHD TVs. Both a Sony and TCL.
Now the ATV 4k does have a better scaler. But most of the content I watch has a UHD resolution. Watching HD content is a minority for me now.

Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB)

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-25-2019 at 07:18 AM.
post #43 of 123 Old 07-30-2019, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 1301
Quote:
Yes, but I've heard other "lossless software conversions" from similar devices (Shield, back before DTS-HD-MA bitstreaming was supported via anything other than the internal player, and when Kodi implemented DTS-HD-MA internal conversion) handle that D-to-A conversion internally, done the A-B comparison for myself, and (occassionally) heard (small/minor) differences in sound quality.

So while I have no experience/input on how the AppleTV with Infuse or MrMC conversion compares to the Shield doing the same conversion within Kodi, I'd rather allow my AVR, which I spent many times the cost of an AppleTV on, and which specializes in audio conversion and amplification, handle that.
The Shield has no internal DAC and has no analog output. There is no conversion, only decompression since all of the so called lossless tracks ARE PCM to begin with and they were not converted to anything at any time, once they [PCM files] are recovered via decompression they all sound the same period. It's like claiming unzipping a say picture file looks different depending what program it was used to unzip it.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #44 of 123 Old 07-31-2019, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
The Shield has no internal DAC and has no analog output. There is no conversion, only decompression since all of the so called lossless tracks ARE PCM to begin with and they were not converted to anything at any time, once they [PCM files] are recovered via decompression they all sound the same period. It's like claiming unzipping a say picture file looks different depending what program it was used to unzip it.
This is false.

The files are (losslessly) compressed 44.1 khz natively. They have been (poorly) converted to 48 khz downstream, and sound audibly, significantly, worse than other playback devices.
post #45 of 123 Old 07-31-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 1301
Quote:
This is false.

The files are (losslessly) compressed 44.1 khz natively. They have been (poorly) converted to 48 khz downstream, and sound audibly, significantly, worse than other playback devices.

You just don't know what you talking about, pretty much all movie soundtracks are encoded [lossless] 24/48 , DTS lossy also 24/48, so there is no conversion, or sampling rate changes occur here nor should be. The only time sampling rate conversion occurs is with 2ch PCM music files which are 16/44.1 but per Google's Android stack it gets converted to 16/48 much like with anything Android. So if you wanna tell yourself you hear something it's not there, it's all good, but don't invent falsehoods to justify it.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #46 of 123 Old 07-31-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
You just don't know what you talking about, pretty much all movie soundtracks are encoded [lossless] 24/48 , DTS lossy also 24/48, so there is no conversion, or sampling rate changes occur here nor should be. The only time sampling rate conversion occurs is with 2ch PCM music files which are 16/44.1 but per Google's Android stack it gets converted to 16/48 much like with anything Android. So if you wanna tell yourself you hear something it's not there, it's all good, but don't invent falsehoods to justify it.
I didn't re-read all of the upstream posts and thought we were discussing 2-channel (44.1 khz) music.

That said, regarding movies: Yes, I prefer to send the signal, unaltered, out of my $150 streamer (that doesn't have any "Dolby TrueHD" or "DTS-HD-MA" stickers or certifications on the box the way a lot of receivers do), to let my $1200 downstream piece of dedicated audio equipment (that DOES have those sort of stickers) do the processing. If you don't? That's fine. I did some A-B comparisons with the Shield processing those files internally within Kodi and passing along the PCM to my AVR, compared to bitstreaming, and I could sometimes hear some differences. This is far from the first time "file playback" doesn't necessarily guarantee "bit-perfect file playback". I'm not wrong.

I don't have any problem with however you want to handle your signal chain though. Maybe, next time, you could try to write about it on here without being so rude, though? Just a thought.

Cheers.

Last edited by psuKinger; 07-31-2019 at 06:21 AM.
post #47 of 123 Old 07-31-2019, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Google Stadia, not likely to be on Apple TV......

Video Storm LLC
post #48 of 123 Old 07-31-2019, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I did some A-B comparisons with the Shield processing those files internally within Kodi and passing along the PCM to my AVR, compared to bitstreaming, and I could sometimes hear some differences.

System/Audio Maintain ogiginal volume on downmix > off
Now sound should be the same Big differences can with DD format this is why https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1269862-turn-off-dialog-norm-my-onkyo.html
Streams may contain metadata and that are lost when converted to PCM and this can be problem..

Last edited by bl4ck; 07-31-2019 at 02:46 PM.
post #49 of 123 Old 07-31-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 2713
Having owned multiple of both, this is how I would break it down.

Nvidia Shield is for someone that primarily wants to playback local media:
  • You want untouched encoded audio via bitstream from locally backed up media, particularly Atmos
  • You want to be able to stream from GeForce Now and eventually Stadia
  • You want a game controller
  • Ability to sideload apps easily
  • You want 4K YouTube support

Apple TV:
  • You want Dolby Vision support from streaming services (side note: Amazon Video app on tvOS is hot garbage because Amazon puts minimal effort into it and breaks it all the time)
  • You want access to iTunes which is the highest quality streaming service next to Movies Anywhere (MA is on the Shield and has slightly higher video bitrate but lower audio bitrate compared to iTunes)
  • You want Netflix Atmos support (also while rare, there are Atmos enabled HD titles on iTunes which aren't available in 4K)
  • You use a lossless audio music streaming service and want to leave the sample rate of the source audio in the native format

If I didn't have Oppos that I use for local media playback but had the large backed up library I created, I would pick the Shield. However, since my Apple TVs are primarily for streaming from services, I have 3 Apple TVs and sold my Shields.
post #50 of 123 Old 07-31-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post

Nvidia Shield is for someone that primarily wants to playback local media:
  • You want untouched encoded audio via bitstream from locally backed up media, particularly Atmos
  • You want to be able to stream from GeForce Now and eventually Stadia
  • You want a game controller
  • Ability to sideload apps easily
  • You want 4K YouTube support

Apple TV:
  • You want Dolby Vision support from streaming services (side note: Amazon Video app on tvOS is hot garbage because Amazon puts minimal effort into it and breaks it all the time)
  • You want access to iTunes which is the highest quality streaming service next to Movies Anywhere (MA is on the Shield and has slightly higher video bitrate but lower audio bitrate compared to iTunes)
  • You want Netflix Atmos support (also while rare, there are Atmos enabled HD titles on iTunes which aren't available in 4K)
  • You use a lossless audio music streaming service and want to leave the sample rate of the source audio in the native format

If I didn't have Oppos that I use for local media playback but had the large backed up library I created, I would pick the Shield. However, since my Apple TVs are primarily for streaming from services, I have 3 Apple TVs and sold my Shields.

I have both also and I’d add one more in favor of the ATV4K (just a slight add to your list). If you don’t have an Atmos system you can use Infuse or Plex to connect to local network media to play 4K/HDR via SMB or Plex connect if you are using a Plex Server. So, for me, the ATV checks the boxes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ng4ever likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #51 of 123 Old 08-01-2019, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I have both Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shield TV. I am a new user of both, so still learning. The setup that I have is a 4K HDR10 Projector (no Dolby Vision), Denon AVR with 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X. The content I watch - 60% of the time, my ripped Blu ray content; 40% Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube. (I am in Dubai, so most of this Hulu, HBO Now kinda content is not available here, so doesn't matter to me). Features important to me: lossless object-based audio, 4K HDR video. Would like to use one device for everything, if possible.

I ended up using both devices for my requirements. Apple TV - because only this device gives Atmos over Netflix app (Shield doesn't, even after the latest OS update that happened yesterday). For everything else, I use Shield - it gives me Atmos over Amazon Prime (Apple TV as well), plays 4K in YouTube (Apple TV doesn't), plays 4K HDR videos in my network attached local hard drive with audio passthrough to my AVR enabling Atmos over True HD and DTS:X (through Kodi App) (Apple TV doesn't). I had a Sony UBP X700 Blu ray player, which I ditched because it doesn't play Atmos over MKV files (although it does play Atmos over M2TS files). Shield does both.

So in a future update, if Shield gives Atmos through Netflix - then I don't need my Apple TV anymore.

or

In a future update, if Apple TV supports lossless audio passthrough for apps like Plex, Infuse, and it starts supporting 4K in Youtube, I can ditch my Shield.

But, let's say if both happen, I will probably keep my Shield than Apple TV. I like the user interface of Apple, but would prefer the flexibility of Shield. Two other minor points in favor of Shield - it comes with a USB port and built-in chrome cast. Both, I don't have much use now, but good features, especially since I have an android phone. One point in favor of Apple TV though - the iTunes movies database is much better than Google Play Movies. You will find many 4K HDR Atmos titles in iTunes for rent and own, than in Google Play.

The parts I missed because I don't use them at all - Music, Games. Not the best person to comment, but looks like Shield have an advantage when it comes to Games, and Apple TV on Music.

So bottom line, as many already pointed out - you just need to list down your needs by priority and choose the one ticks all the boxes, if its really about one vs other. Else, if you don't mind spending some extra bucks, buy both.
beerhunt and ng4ever like this.
post #52 of 123 Old 08-01-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1899 Post(s)
Liked: 633
I have both. I will say the menus and screen saver look 100x better on the ATV but when content is actually running the Shield is slightly more capable.

But I just can’t get over how crappy that Shield menu system looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #53 of 123 Old 08-02-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Apple TV:
Whoa, wait, what? Is this correct? Thank you for the info if it is. I haven't looked at AppleTV in several years because they used to convert audio from 44.1kHz to 48kHz, so call me OCD but I just could not accept that.
post #54 of 123 Old 08-02-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson87 View Post
Whoa, wait, what? Is this correct? Thank you for the info if it is. I haven't looked at AppleTV in several years because they used to convert audio from 44.1kHz to 48kHz, so call me OCD but I just could not accept that.
Yeah, I verified it with the developer HUD using Tidal, so I can at least confirm that app properly respects the sample rate.
post #55 of 123 Old 08-02-2019, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 197
No point in deciding until the new shield comes out any week now.
ng4ever likes this.
post #56 of 123 Old 08-03-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebin George View Post
I have both Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shield TV. I am a new user of both, so still learning. The setup that I have is a 4K HDR10 Projector (no Dolby Vision), Denon AVR with 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X. The content I watch - 60% of the time, my ripped Blu ray content; 40% Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube. (I am in Dubai, so most of this Hulu, HBO Now kinda content is not available here, so doesn't matter to me). Features important to me: lossless object-based audio, 4K HDR video. Would like to use one device for everything, if possible.

I ended up using both devices for my requirements. Apple TV - because only this device gives Atmos over Netflix app (Shield doesn't, even after the latest OS update that happened yesterday). For everything else, I use Shield - it gives me Atmos over Amazon Prime (Apple TV as well), plays 4K in YouTube (Apple TV doesn't), plays 4K HDR videos in my network attached local hard drive with audio passthrough to my AVR enabling Atmos over True HD and DTS:X (through Kodi App) (Apple TV doesn't). I had a Sony UBP X700 Blu ray player, which I ditched because it doesn't play Atmos over MKV files (although it does play Atmos over M2TS files). Shield does both.

So in a future update, if Shield gives Atmos through Netflix - then I don't need my Apple TV anymore.

or

In a future update, if Apple TV supports lossless audio passthrough for apps like Plex, Infuse, and it starts supporting 4K in Youtube, I can ditch my Shield.

But, let's say if both happen, I will probably keep my Shield than Apple TV. I like the user interface of Apple, but would prefer the flexibility of Shield. Two other minor points in favor of Shield - it comes with a USB port and built-in chrome cast. Both, I don't have much use now, but good features, especially since I have an android phone. One point in favor of Apple TV though - the iTunes movies database is much better than Google Play Movies. You will find many 4K HDR Atmos titles in iTunes for rent and own, than in Google Play.

The parts I missed because I don't use them at all - Music, Games. Not the best person to comment, but looks like Shield have an advantage when it comes to Games, and Apple TV on Music.

So bottom line, as many already pointed out - you just need to list down your needs by priority and choose the one ticks all the boxes, if its really about one vs other. Else, if you don't mind spending some extra bucks, buy both.
I might be incorrect but I thought (I've never tried though) many people have reported that if you use Kodi add-on Netflix in the Shield, you will get Atmos.
You can search up and try and see what happens.

Or you can correct me if I'm wrong.
post #57 of 123 Old 08-03-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1899 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam355 View Post
No point in deciding until the new shield comes out any week now.

Uhm....?

post #58 of 123 Old 08-03-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Uhm....?

Speculation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #59 of 123 Old 08-03-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Uhm....?

A new model showed up at the FCC.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/26/8...itch-processor

My guess is that it will at least include the new die shrunk Tegra X1 that is going into the silent Nintendo Switch revision as well as the Switch Lite but it is not clear if it will add any additional features outside of it being lower power and temps, perhaps a smaller footprint.
aaronwt likes this.
post #60 of 123 Old 08-03-2019, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
One thing to consider is that the Shield is still getting OS and feature updates 4 years after its release. Not sure if other boxes are doing that.
It for sure does, like most things come down to features you need/want. A big plus for me is my kids are not hardcore gamers, but do like to pay an occasional game. That made the Shield a no brainer. For me the shield just works.
aaronwt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page