Nvidia Shield vs Apple TV 4K - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Nvidia Shield vs Apple TV 4K
Nvidia Shield 69 58.97%
Apple TV 4K 48 41.03%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 71Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 123 Old 08-04-2019, 12:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
I might be incorrect but I thought (I've never tried though) many people have reported that if you use Kodi add-on Netflix in the Shield, you will get Atmos.
You can search up and try and see what happens.

Or you can correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, I have read that too and wanted to try out as well. Although, not a big priority for me now. I kinda like my two device setup now. And I would prefer if the native Netflix App in Shield supports Atmos, rather than a Kodi add-on. I was wondering why they didn't make it a priority in this upgrade with increasing Atmos content in Netflix and since Apple TV is already providing this feature.
Jebin George is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 123 Old 08-04-2019, 05:07 PM
Senior Member
 
adam355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Uhm....?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Speculation.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's not speculation. Lol.
adam355 is offline  
post #63 of 123 Old 08-04-2019, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,202
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Nvidia Shield vs Apple TV 4K

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam355 View Post
It's not speculation. Lol.


There’s no proof that a new Shield is coming or when lol. Therefore it’s speculation. Oh and an FCC application is not proof of an actual device. Lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 123 Old 08-04-2019, 08:49 PM
Senior Member
 
adam355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam355 View Post
It's not speculation. Lol.


There’️s no proof that a new Shield is coming or when lol. Therefore it’️s speculation. Oh and an FCC application is not proof of an actual device. Lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except I'm looking right at it's listing and specs in my Google Play Developer account just like I could see the JBL Link Bar Android TV a few weeks before it came out. I can even target it as official device my Android TV app can be installed on.

But sure.... There's no new Shield TV coming out. Keep telling yourself that to win some forum debate.
Brian Hampton and psuKinger like this.

Last edited by adam355; 08-04-2019 at 08:56 PM.
adam355 is offline  
post #65 of 123 Old 08-05-2019, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,202
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam355 View Post
Except I'm looking right at it's listing and specs in my Google Play Developer account just like I could see the JBL Link Bar Android TV a few weeks before it came out. I can even target it as official device my Android TV app can be installed on.

But sure.... There's no new Shield TV coming out. Keep telling yourself that to win some forum debate.


Until someone can prove it, it’s speculation from “some guy on the internet” who’s violating his NDA if it’s even true. Don’t get me wrong, I hope there is one, I hope it’s better, I hope it has DoVi but need evidence to believe the guessing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #66 of 123 Old 08-05-2019, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 4,033
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1899 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Actually I hope there is another one also because that means they will clearance all the 2017 models and I can clean up on those.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #67 of 123 Old 08-05-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 2713
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Until someone can prove it, it’s speculation from “some guy on the internet” who’s violating his NDA if it’s even true. Don’t get me wrong, I hope there is one, I hope it’s better, I hope it has DoVi but need evidence to believe the guessing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure, it is speculation but the combination of the listing and that they already confirmed a smaller die size Tegra X1 being used in two mass produced products make it extremely likely. Nvidia won't want to have two fab processes for different sized chips. This is especially when the Switch and Switch Lite will be manufactured at much higher volume than the Shield TV. All that said, it could be a minor revision but I'd bet good money on it at the very least using the new chip.
mutelight is offline  
post #68 of 123 Old 08-05-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,202
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Sure, it is speculation but the combination of the listing and that they already confirmed a smaller die size Tegra X1 being used in two mass produced products make it extremely likely. Nvidia won't want to have two fab processes for different sized chips. This is especially when the Switch and Switch Lite will be manufactured at much higher volume than the Shield TV. All that said, it could be a minor revision but I'd bet good money on it at the very least using the new chip.


Like I said, I hope it does happen and I hope it includes the features people want.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian Hampton likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #69 of 123 Old 08-06-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 9,400
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 998
I want a smaller die size.
Brian Hampton is offline  
post #70 of 123 Old 08-06-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 2713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I want a smaller die size.
Looks like you are likely going to get it in two flavors, bud!

https://9to5google.com/2019/08/05/nv...tv-two-models/
aaronwt likes this.
mutelight is offline  
post #71 of 123 Old 08-09-2019, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
mrpickem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 722
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I use both and for stuff that is available the ATV does a better job for me. mlb.tv looks amazing and has an option for split screen(2 games) where shield does not. HDR from Netflix looks better on ATV. When I run speedtest the ATV gets almost double the shield. 650Mb to 350ish

The shield plays games and thats a plus. It runs Kodi streaming various content local and remote. I do like the Youtube and Plex apps better on the shield although I still believe the PQ is better with ATV

I like them both and use them both so I cannot commit to voting on just one
beerhunt, ng4ever and m_snow like this.

77C8PUA ~ Media room
75XBR900F ~ Game room
55XBR900E ~ Bedroom
mrpickem is offline  
post #72 of 123 Old 08-13-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 8,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Color space matching in the Shield update has me wanting another one. It made a noticeable difference for me.
Gary J is offline  
post #73 of 123 Old 08-13-2019, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 2713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Color space matching in the Shield update has me wanting another one. It made a noticeable difference for me.
But I thought you like it broken?

Fortunately there is a hotfix hopefully rolling out in the next day or so to fix it not functioning from the update earlier this month.
mutelight is offline  
post #74 of 123 Old 08-14-2019, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 8,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
But I thought you like it broken?

Fortunately there is a hotfix hopefully rolling out in the next day or so to fix it not functioning from the update earlier this month.
Was it always there? I turned it on for the first time after the update and color was much better.
Gary J is offline  
post #75 of 123 Old 08-14-2019, 09:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Has anyone compared Infuse Pro on ATV vs Nvidia shield audio quality? Will I be losing anything if going with ATV?
kenkkl is offline  
post #76 of 123 Old 08-14-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,202
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkkl View Post
Has anyone compared Infuse Pro on ATV vs Nvidia shield audio quality? Will I be losing anything if going with ATV?


You’ll lose Atmos on your locally streamed content. I don’t have an Atmos system so I prefer Infuse on the ATV4K.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gary J likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #77 of 123 Old 08-23-2019, 07:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
You’ll lose Atmos on your locally streamed content. I don’t have an Atmos system so I prefer Infuse on the ATV4K.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In terms of sound quality are they the same or comparable? I don't have atmos as well so may be worth keeping only 1 box, i.e. ATV.
kenkkl is offline  
post #78 of 123 Old 08-23-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,202
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkkl View Post
In terms of sound quality are they the same or comparable? I don't have atmos as well so may be worth keeping only 1 box, i.e. ATV.


Video quality is better on my ATV4K than my Shield in terms of upscaling 1080p content and the added benefit of 4K Dolby Vision. If you don’t need locally streamed Atmos then Apple checks all the boxes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #79 of 123 Old 10-29-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 11,180
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5556 Post(s)
Liked: 5033
with the recent release of the Shield TV (2019), I'm curious if Nvidia has now closed the gap with Apple in terms of 4K video quality...

I'm new to streaming boxes...I have an LG C7 4K OLED but have only used the TV's built-in apps...but with Disney+ coming out soon I'm looking at finally getting a streaming box...which is the best box for steaming, the Apple or Nvidia?...I'm only going to use it for the apps...gaming and ripping content isn't a factor for me

my main priority is 4K HDR picture quality...the new Shield boxes finally support Dolby Vision which is great news...I always heard that Apple TV 4K offered the highest bit-rates and picture quality...is this still the case with the new Shield models (especially since they now have Dolby Vision support)...will the 32GB of storage on the Apple TV versus the 16GB on the Shield Pro matter?...which box would be the best buy for my needs?
TitusTroy is online now  
post #80 of 123 Old 10-29-2019, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,202
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
with the recent release of the Shield TV (2019), I'm curious if Nvidia has now closed the gap with Apple in terms of 4K video quality...



I'm new to streaming boxes...I have an LG C7 4K OLED but have only used the TV's built-in apps...but with Disney+ coming out soon I'm looking at finally getting a streaming box...which is the best box for steaming, the Apple or Nvidia?...I'm only going to use it for the apps...gaming and ripping content isn't a factor for me



my main priority is 4K HDR picture quality...the new Shield boxes finally support Dolby Vision which is great news...I always heard that Apple TV 4K offered the highest bit-rates and picture quality...is this still the case with the new Shield models (especially since they now have Dolby Vision support)...will the 32GB of storage on the Apple TV versus the 16GB on the Shield Pro matter?...which box would be the best buy for my needs?


The storage isn’t a factor. Yes, getting DoVi was a big deal for the Shield but I’d wait to get a more informed report from the people buying them and that might take a month or two.
I personally own two of the previous (2017) Shields and two ATV4K’s. I much prefer the PQ of Apple as well as the power and tech. Bitrates are about the same but the Shield doesn’t have iTunes content which is huge for me because it’s of the highest quality and best prices and I wouldn’t want to depend on a device without it. Bottom line, give it a few weeks.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TitusTroy likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #81 of 123 Old 10-29-2019, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 740
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
with the recent release of the Shield TV (2019), I'm curious if Nvidia has now closed the gap with Apple in terms of 4K video quality...

I'm new to streaming boxes...I have an LG C7 4K OLED but have only used the TV's built-in apps...but with Disney+ coming out soon I'm looking at finally getting a streaming box...which is the best box for steaming, the Apple or Nvidia?...I'm only going to use it for the apps...gaming and ripping content isn't a factor for me

my main priority is 4K HDR picture quality...the new Shield boxes finally support Dolby Vision which is great news...I always heard that Apple TV 4K offered the highest bit-rates and picture quality...is this still the case with the new Shield models (especially since they now have Dolby Vision support)...will the 32GB of storage on the Apple TV versus the 16GB on the Shield Pro matter?...which box would be the best buy for my needs?

If you want an incredible DV streaming performance(not plex, kodi, ect), than Apple TV 4k is for you. The stream codec/birtrate on Itunes on a gigabit network is the closest in quality to 4k blu-ray on a mainstream streaming service. I've compared it many times to Vudu and and it kills it everytime. Vincent Teoh had a video comparing Spiderman-Homecoming UHD blu-ray vs 4k DV itunes and its sometimes hard to tell the difference. However, if you want the best kodi and plex device on the market, the Shield is the best option. For mainstream streaming though, I would pick Apple every time. Also keep in mind, Apple doesn't plan to include DV on the third party Apple TV app. It's only on the Apple TV box. I also love the fact that I can switch between users on Apple TV. That's main reason I switched to Apple TV 4k, and I've been an Android user since the "Droid Does" days.
TitusTroy likes this.

Last edited by MLM87; 10-29-2019 at 09:20 PM.
MLM87 is offline  
post #82 of 123 Old 10-29-2019, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 2713
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM87 View Post
If you want an incredible DV streaming performance(not plex, kodi, ect), than Apple TV 4k is for you. The stream codec/birtrate on Itunes on a gigabit network is the closest in quality to 4k blu-ray on a mainstream streaming service. I've compared it many times to Vudu and and it kills it everytime.
A gigabit network is unrelated because you can get full quality from iTunes with a 30mbps WAN connection and comfortably. I have measured iTunes using around 18mbps on average for the video and 786kbps for audio (including Atmos tracks) whereas Vudu tends to average around 15mbps.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM87 View Post
Also keep in mind, Apple doesn't plan to include DV on the third party Apple TV app. It's only on the Apple TV box.
Do you have a link to that? I know they added iTunes to Samsung TVs which inherently do not support DV but 2019 Sony Android TVs just received the Apple TV+ app today and they do support DV. (Not being combative, just genuinely curious.)
mutelight is offline  
post #83 of 123 Old 10-29-2019, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 11,180
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5556 Post(s)
Liked: 5033
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM87 View Post
If you want an incredible DV streaming performance(not plex, kodi, ect), than Apple TV 4k is for you. The stream codec/birtrate on Itunes on a gigabit network is the closest in quality to 4k blu-ray on a mainstream streaming service. I've compared it many times to Vudu and and it kills it everytime. Vincent Teoh had a video comparing Spiderman-Homecoming UHD blu-ray vs 4k DV itunes and its sometimes hard to tell the difference...
so it's mainly iTunes that offers the best/highest bit-rate 4K HDR quality?...so if I were mainly using Netflix/Amazon/Vudu using my LG C7 OLED's built in apps or those same apps using Shield TV the bit rates would not be much different from the Apple TV 4K Netflix/Amazon/Vudu app?
TitusTroy is online now  
post #84 of 123 Old 10-29-2019, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 740
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
A gigabit network is unrelated because you can get full quality from iTunes with a 30mbps WAN connection and comfortably. I have measured iTunes using around 18mbps on average for the video and 786kbps for audio (including Atmos tracks) whereas Vudu tends to average around 15mbps.




Do you have a link to that? I know they added iTunes to Samsung TVs which inherently do not support DV but 2019 Sony Android TVs just received the Apple TV+ app today and they do support DV. (Not being combative, just genuinely curious.)

https://www.cnet.com/news/apples-tv-...every-feature/
David Katzmaier Cnet - "Dolby Vision HDR video and Dolby Atmos object-based surround audio, two of the most advanced AV formats, are only available via the Apple TV App if you use an Apple TV 4K."
MLM87 is offline  
post #85 of 123 Old 10-30-2019, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,202
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM87 View Post
https://www.cnet.com/news/apples-tv-...every-feature/
David Katzmaier Cnet - "Dolby Vision HDR video and Dolby Atmos object-based surround audio, two of the most advanced AV formats, are only available via the Apple TV App if you use an Apple TV 4K."


Your also says this:


“Meanwhile Samsung TVs don't support Dolby Vision at all. *Whether forthcoming Dolby Vision-capable smart TVs from Sony, Vizio and LG will get that support in the Apple TV app is an open question.* And Dolby Vision support might be added to non-Apple devices in the future.”


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #86 of 123 Old 10-30-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
psuKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,822
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
so it's mainly iTunes that offers the best/highest bit-rate 4K HDR quality?...so if I were mainly using Netflix/Amazon/Vudu using my LG C7 OLED's built in apps or those same apps using Shield TV the bit rates would not be much different from the Apple TV 4K Netflix/Amazon/Vudu app?

"The best/highest bit-rate 4K HDR Quality" is going to come from buying the physical disc and either sticking it into a quality player (I use an OPPO UDP-203) or:
- If it doesn't contain Dolby Vision but does have HDR10, ripping 1:1 with something like MakeMKV
- If it does contain Dolby Vision, doing a full-disc backup





If you want the convenience of streaming services like Netflix/Amazon/Vudu and don't want to deal with physical media, FWIW I've never noticed a PQ difference between the Shield and the AppleTV when watching non-Dolby-Vision 4K content. The difference exists (at least with my 2015 Shield) when watching 480p/720p/1080i/1080p content with the Shield and ATV both set to 4k output, and the two upscalers get involved... the AppleTV has a better upscaler than the 2015 (and 2017) NVidia Shield did/does. I haven't purchased a 2019 Shield yet, and have no first-hand opinion on how/if the upscaler is improved and how it compares to the ATV4K's.... at my normal seating distance (12') from my TV (75"), I've always thought the differences between 1080p uncompressed blu ray being upscaled were pretty minimal, but 480p upscaled DVDs were significant. But that's always been "JMO". At 24" away using test patterns designed for the purposes of these comparisons, the differences are easily discernible.



One of the things I prefer about the Shield is it's ability to bitstream the lossless audio to my Receiver rather than handling the decoding internally... but I'm also the kind of person who thinks there can be (subtle) picture quality and sound quality differences between two different CD players or Blu Ray players, too... If you don't buy/rip discs most of this doesn't apply to you.

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 & LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; JBL Studio 530 L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA, Pi running Ropieee.
psuKinger is online now  
post #87 of 123 Old 10-30-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 8,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 373
What is 1080p uncompressed blu ray?
Gary J is offline  
post #88 of 123 Old 11-18-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 23,325
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2310 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Keeping the comparison strictly to streaming, is there a sound quality difference between Shield Pro and ATV 4k?

Noah
noah katz is online now  
post #89 of 123 Old 11-19-2019, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,776
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 782
I was Roku for years until the 4 Ultra came out and ran hot and was buggy. I moved on to the 2017 Shields and Roku were history. I got a ATV4K last year to try it out and to get some of the 4K discount codes for movies only on iTunes. I started using it for PQ preferences content, but still used the Shield for audio performance. Now that the Shield Pro equals the ATV4K for PQ I rarely use the ATV4K. I dislike the ATV4K remote and UI. Clearly the ATV4K is great for mainstream users and it does well there. Infuse does make consuming my large NAS library, but Kodi with Emby is just hands down better for me due to audio pass through. Apple products are more polished, but the shield seems targeted for enthusiasts. If I did not own several iTunes only 4K movies I would consider dumping the ATV4K. Is still might as it rarely gets used now on the main TV. It is the only streamer for my wife's TV in her sitting room.

LG 77 C9 (Also LG 65 C7 and Sony XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #90 of 123 Old 11-19-2019, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 8,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Keeping the comparison strictly to streaming, is there a sound quality difference between Shield Pro and ATV 4k?
It has a DAC?
Gary J is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off