Nvidia Shield vs Apple TV 4K - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Nvidia Shield vs Apple TV 4K
Nvidia Shield 69 58.97%
Apple TV 4K 48 41.03%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #121 of 123 Old 02-12-2020, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Yes, but depends on the app, no Atmos on Disney+. Has Atmos for Netflix, Amazon and Vudu. Have not tried on other providers (MA, Fandango, etc.) so someone else can answer for these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Even my older Shield supports lossy DD+ Atmos. Support is not the issue. The issue is the app provider enabling it in their apps. Just like all the other streamers that support lossy DD+ Atmos.

Sent from my Tab A 8.0
Thanks! Decided to get ATV 4K even though it cannot passthrough the lossless formats in Plex. Will stick to my Pio LX500 for streaming local content....but i will miss that nice UI.

See Profile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 123 Old 02-12-2020, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Yes, but depends on the app, no Atmos on Disney+. Has Atmos for Netflix, Amazon and Vudu. Have not tried on other providers (MA, Fandango, etc.) so someone else can answer for these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
Thanks! Decided to get ATV 4K even though it cannot passthrough the lossless formats in Plex. Will stick to my Pio LX500 for streaming local content....but i will miss that nice UI.
Someone posted in the 2019 Shield thread a link to Nvidia where they posted Disney+ with Atmos was being worked on.

I have a Oppo UDP-203 and Sony UBP-X1000 and if either one should die and can not be repaired then I would most likely procure the Pioneer LX500. I really hope the Oppo last a long time as I really like that machine, a great disc and media player.
aaronwt likes this.
post #123 of 123 Old 02-16-2020, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Just hooked up a 2019 Shield Pro alongside my Apple TV 4K. Got the Shield mostly for the Plex and also because Apple's blacks were raised in Dolby Vision content.

The only quirk I wasn't expecting (because I thought everything was pretty much standard nowadays). . . the Shield is putting out a slightly brighter picture than the Apple TV. In SD content, my LG OLED65C8 requires a brightness of 53 when watching the Apple TV to not crush blacks and bring out shadow detail (while preserving true black). Yet the Shield requires only 51.

Since my Sony 4K Blu-ray always matched exactly with the Apple TV, I was expecting the Shield to be the same. I've settled on the middle-ground of 52 since they're all using the same input on the TV (via receiver). I guess if I want them to have their own brightness, it'll be back to using the separate inputs on the TV. =(

--H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page