• 1 Post By m_snow
  • 1 Post By abhilash220

post #1 of 17 Old 03-08-2019, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nvidia Shield vs Apple TV 4K

Hi, I'm hesitating between the shield and the apple tv 4k. I've read some little things that the shield has but I do not ... I especially want it to watch 4k and 1080 movies downloaded from nas, iptv and netflix-amazon-hbo.

Someone who has tried the two who can advise me?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-08-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by david86bcn View Post
Hi, I'm hesitating between the shield and the apple tv 4k. I've read some little things that the shield has but I do not ... I especially want it to watch 4k and 1080 movies downloaded from nas, iptv and netflix-amazon-hbo.

Someone who has tried the two who can advise me?

Thank you.

I prefer the ATV4K for many, many reasons including that it’s more technologically advanced and has Dolby Vision and Atmos for streamed content. BUT if you don’t care about that but do care more about Atmos on your own personal library content, the Shield is capable of bitstreamed TrueHD Atmos which comes into play if your streaming your own ripped content. You can play your own content on the ATV4K too but it doesn’t have Atmos yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #3 of 17 Old 03-08-2019, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
I prefer the ATV4K for many, many reasons including that it’s more technologically advanced and has Dolby Vision and Atmos for streamed content. BUT if you don’t care about that but do care more about Atmos on your own personal library content, the Shield is capable of bitstreamed TrueHD Atmos which comes into play if your streaming your own ripped content. You can play your own content on the ATV4K too but it doesn’t have Atmos yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I ended up with both. For streamed content ATV is great, Dolby vision, and audio equal to the streamed quality.

For local content, and anything where you want unmolested, lossless audio, shield.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

video: Lg 65e6, Oppo uhd-203, Roku ultra, nVidia Shield Pro
audio: Yamaha aventage 3050, ATI AT252NC, martin logan efx 7.1
gaming: Ps4-pro, Psvr, Ps3
other: Synology d216play, Panamax m-5300pm & m-5400pm, a billion smarthome things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-09-2019, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 691
I have the ATV4K and haven't ever had a Shield.

But, ... the fact I don't want a shield should tell you how happy I am with the ATV4K.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-09-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningbull View Post
I ended up with both. For streamed content ATV is great, Dolby vision, and audio equal to the streamed quality.

For local content, and anything where you want unmolested, lossless audio, shield.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk
+1. I have both. They're both good boxes. They each have their own (minor) Pros and Cons relative to the other. Preference will probably depend on several factors, including but not limited to what your specific wants and use-cases are.

We (mostly) use the AppleTV for Netflix and Amazon Prime because of it's Dolby Vision support. We will probably use it for HBO and Showtime (when we re-subscribe) within the next couple of months because I think it's a little better, PQ-wise, with 1080p content (without manually going in and changing the Shield output to 1080p; it's easier to just flip the inputs to the ATV).

We use the Shield for our MKV Blu Ray rips for the lossless audio support (bitstreamed to AVR) (Plex client). We also use the Shield for Live TV and DVR via our HDHomeRun Prime's (x2) and my HDHomeRun DVR subscription. I also probably prefer it for Youtube, but it's not a big difference. I like the GUI on Shield better too, but that's no doubt a matter of personal preference. We also use them for gaming, too (Steam, Battle.net, Gamestream, NVidia Lightspeed Studios Android ports, etc). The "new" GeForce Now is free while in Beta, and NVidia's cloud computing works really well....

For 4K UHD rips I usually flip over to my OPPO UDP-203 because I want the Dolby Vision support (which appletv has) AND I want the lossless audio bitstreamed (which Shield will do)... so I forfeit the "nice" Plex front-end gui and get the content streaming with all the capability I want.

And I use my Chromecast Audio and my Oppo for music as Roon endpoints. The OPPO sounds a little better than the CCA, but the CCAs could be bought together in bulk ($35 a pop) and grouped together for an incredibly affordable whole-home-audio, so I like/use both differently...

Unfortunately, as you can see, in order to get all the capability I wanted to have, I ended up having to buy a bunch of different devices....

In My Opinion
If you bought a Dolby Vision capable TV (especially a lower-peak-brightness OLED), you probably want an Apple TV.
If you have a collection of SDR blu rays ripped bit-for-bit with the lossless audio in tact, and you like a "nice" front end GUI (Plex, Emby, Kodi, etc) then I think you probably want a Shield.
If you have/do both... unfortunately, you might end up wanting both like I did.

Last edited by psuKinger; 03-09-2019 at 06:55 AM.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-09-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I've had both, purchased 2 of the first gen Shields and had them for a few years. A little over a year ago I stopped using both after I got my ATV. The Apple TV just works, and works well for NAS content with Infuse. The streaming services for ATV all look nice and work without having to quit the app and try again on Android. And the ATV screensavers are just icing on the cake. The ATV remote is crap but the Shield remote is even worse. Plus the ATV plays Dolby Vision and Atmos content.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-10-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 267
I have both and have used both extensively. The only compelling reason to get an Nvidia Shield over an Apple TV 4K IMO is if you have ‘height’ speaker channels and need to bitstream TrueHD Atmos and DTS:X from rips. Obviously the Shield has more gaming capabilities as well. Otherwise the Apple TV 4K is superior in almost every way.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-10-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
I have both and have used both extensively. The only compelling reason to get an Nvidia Shield over an Apple TV 4K IMO is if you have ‘height’ speaker channels and need to bitstream TrueHD Atmos and DTS:X from rips. Obviously the Shield has more gaming capabilities as well. Otherwise the Apple TV 4K is superior in almost every way.
It can't bitstream 5.1 TrueHD or HD-MA either.
It can't be casted to from my phone or tablet (while iPhones and iPads can cast to a Shield).
And it's only suitable/proper ready-for-primetime application to access HDHomeRun TV tuners costs $25 and doesn't have any support (to my knowledge) on my Windows PCs, Shields, or Android mobile devices.

Lots of other devices (including AppleTVs) have some advantages over the Shield, but if you can only have one, Shield is a considerably more capable/compatible all-in-one swiss army knife.

Last edited by psuKinger; 03-10-2019 at 07:15 AM.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-10-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
It can't bitstream 5.1 TrueHD or HD-MA either.
It can't be casted to from my phone or tablet (while iPhones and iPads can cast to a Shield).
And it's only suitable/proper ready-for-primetime application to access HDHomeRun TV tuners costs $25 and doesn't have any support (to my knowledge) on my Windows PCs, Shields, or Android mobile devices.

Lots of other devices (including AppleTVs) have some advantages over the Shield, but if you can only have one, Shield is a considerably more capable/compatible all-in-one swiss army knife.
Yes but MrMC and Infuse will losslessly convert 7.1 TrueHD and DTS-MA to PCM.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-10-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Yes but MrMC and Infuse will losslessly convert 7.1 TrueHD and DTS-MA to PCM.
Yes, but I've heard other "lossless software conversions" from similar devices (Shield, back before DTS-HD-MA bitstreaming was supported via anything other than the internal player, and when Kodi implemented DTS-HD-MA internal conversion) handle that D-to-A conversion internally, done the A-B comparison for myself, and (occassionally) heard (small/minor) differences in sound quality.

So while I have no experience/input on how the AppleTV with Infuse or MrMC conversion compares to the Shield doing the same conversion within Kodi, I'd rather allow my AVR, which I spent many times the cost of an AppleTV on, and which specializes in audio conversion and amplification, handle that.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-13-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I went with the Shield mainly because I wanted to move my Plex Server off of my PC, with the secondary but notable benefit of it being able to transcode 4K content for 1080p Plex clients (I would have had to upgraded to a 7th-gen Core i PC for that functionality). In the early going it wasn't a smooth implimentation but it turns out at least some of that was likely faulty hardware specific to my unit... a warranty replacement and the upgrade to Oreo has made most everything notably smoother. Since then, I've been future-proof for other upgrades I've made as well (Atmos, mainly from Vudu and Plex) and haven't missed the lack of Dolby Vision because it's driving a 4K front-projector. I considered an ATV4K as a client in the living room, but stuck with a different Android TV box for continuity and cost... I haven't felt like I'm missing out on anything.

All that said, if the ATV4K has a specific feature you need (like DV/Atmos on Netflix) then it's definitely a capable box with its own set of specific limitations.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Ultimate & Hub | AT&T Fiber 300 | SmartThings | Google Home, Hub, Mini, etc
post #12 of 17 Old 03-13-2019, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I have been very happy with my Shield. I have a Plex Media Server and a 5.1.4 atmos setup, and about 90+ 4k movies on my local NAS drive, and the Shield just checked all the boxes for me, so it was an easy choice. The picture and sound quality are excellent and the box is extremely stable and reliable. Also, it was fairly affordable, so if you're on the fence, maybe start with the Shield and then purchase an ATV if you have media in the Apple ecosystem or need a specific feature/function that ATV provides, or just want to have some variety/flexibility.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-14-2019, 01:53 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 8773 Post(s)
Liked: 5548
They both have their Pros and Cons. I don't want to use just the Shield TV or just the ATV 4K. Heck I don't even want to just use both of them. I need to throw a Roku and FireTV into the mix as well. Since none of those four devices excel at everything. I need to use all of them, depending on the app and content, to get the best experience.

But if I were to be forced to vote for just one, which I guess I am, I would choose the Shield TV. Since I can get Atmos audio from my UHD BD rips. Which I cannot do with the ATV 4K.

For the last few months I would say my ATV 4Ks are the least used streamer out of those four devices.
Most of the apps and UHD or HD content I watch is a better experience from the other devices. Of course, any netflix content with Atmos audio is watched from my ATV 4Ks. Since the only other devices I have that give me access to Netflix Atmos audio are my Xboxes. And Xboxes are the absolute worst Netflix streamers since they force HDR on all the time.

And I like the Roku interface much better than Apples. So any Dolby Vision content, like from Vudu, I will watch from my Roku TCL TV. Since I will also get the Atmos audio as well as DV. Or Netflix DV content without Atmos, I will use my Philips UHD BD player with DV or my Roku TCL TV or a FireTV 4K stick. Since those give me a better experience than the ATV 4K.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-14-2019 at 02:08 PM.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-14-2019, 01:57 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 8773 Post(s)
Liked: 5548
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post
I've had both, purchased 2 of the first gen Shields and had them for a few years. A little over a year ago I stopped using both after I got my ATV. The Apple TV just works, and works well for NAS content with Infuse. The streaming services for ATV all look nice and work without having to quit the app and try again on Android. And the ATV screensavers are just icing on the cake. The ATV remote is crap but the Shield remote is even worse. Plus the ATV plays Dolby Vision and Atmos content.
And I thought just the opposite about the remotes. When I got my first Shield TV, I thought it was the worst remote I had ever used. That was until I got my first ATV 4K. Then that became the worst remote I had ever used. Fortunately I use Harmony remotes with my Shield TVs and ATV 4Ks. So the only time I touch those remotes is when I do a voice search.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #15 of 17 Old 03-14-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

Couldn’t agree more. I *WAS* an avid Shield user for years (I have two) until the ATV4K came out. Now one is used as a backup Plex Server and the other is gathering dust in a cabinet. As you said “it just works” and other than bit-streaming Atmos on local content it does most everything better than the competition. Shields, while great in their time, are older technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian Hampton likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #16 of 17 Old 03-15-2019, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I've never owned a ATV4K so can't comment but reading on the web, it looks like it's great for video.
So in short, I would say, for videophile -> ATV4K, for audiophile -> ShieldTV.
I own the Shield and I love it.
Why? 'cuz it does what I want and it does what ATV4K doesn't, that is streaming lossless audio tracks (TrueHD/DTS-HD MA) locally.
If the ATV4K does offer audio passthrough, I would go for it.
I guess it is just a personal choice.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-19-2019, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The choice depends on the location as well. I went with the ATV even though my preference was Shield solely because the rental services with 4k, HDR and Atmos in Canada is limited and the best option currently is iTunes.
Brian Hampton likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page