• 1 Post By m0j0
  • 1 Post By eherberg

post #1 of 25 Old 03-10-2019, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
streaming local channels

First, apologies if I'm in the wrong place and, before I start, I'm lingo challenged.

I want to receive local channels, but, ideally, without a service like Fire or Roku. Just stick up an OTA antenna and watch local channels. BUT, I want to record to DVR and have a channel guide. Does this system exist? As it turns out, all channels are NWN of my house and the furthest is 36 miles.

If not, guess I'll go with a streaming service. In either case, I have a half TB hard drive I'd like to use if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-10-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Yes, many systems that will provide DVR services to OTA, check out this forum https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/
post #3 of 25 Old 03-10-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Do you have a Plex Media Server running? If you pay for a one time fee for a Plex lifetime pass, and buy an HDHomeRun device, you can watch local channels with a guide and dvr the shows to a local NAS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 03-11-2019, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by required alias View Post
First, apologies if I'm in the wrong place and, before I start, I'm lingo challenged.

I want to receive local channels, but, ideally, without a service like Fire or Roku. Just stick up an OTA antenna and watch local channels. BUT, I want to record to DVR and have a channel guide. Does this system exist? As it turns out, all channels are NWN of my house and the furthest is 36 miles.

If not, guess I'll go with a streaming service. In either case, I have a half TB hard drive I'd like to use if possible.

Another option, if you are looking for a simple, one TV, solution, is the Channel Master Stream+. It's only a 2-tuner DVR, but you could use your TV tuner for live TV if you need to record two channels at the same time. Don't have one, but there is a thread here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...-s-thread.html
https://www.channelmaster.com/Stream..._p/cm-7600.htm
https://support.channelmaster.com/hc...tream-CM-7600-

Note that devices that rely on the over the air guide information only give you up to 2 days of information (i.e. HomeWorx, iView,) , with some channels displaying very little info. To get like a 2 week guide, you will need a device connected to the internet. Note that some require you pay for the guide info.

Edit: Corrected first link...

Last edited by csmith; 03-12-2019 at 10:17 AM.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-11-2019, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I receive 23 OTA (over the air) channels with a thin sheet of plastic with a coaxial connector...Mohu leaf is the brand antenna...
connect to a HD Homerun 'box' (Quattro) which is also connected to an AC outlet and my router
added the 'Homerun' app to two laptops, one Nvidia shield streamer, one Apple TV (via Insta TV app)

works great for LIVE TV!!
post #6 of 25 Old 03-12-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunt View Post
I receive 23 OTA (over the air) channels with a thin sheet of plastic with a coaxial connector...Mohu leaf is the brand antenna...
connect to a HD Homerun 'box' (Quattro) which is also connected to an AC outlet and my router
added the 'Homerun' app to two laptops, one Nvidia shield streamer, one Apple TV (via Insta TV app)

works great for LIVE TV!!
Sorry for the slow response. First, I know next to nothing about streaming. I had to get help to spell 'OTA.'

I've investigated Plex and Emby. I'm concerned about the alleged 'aggressive' data collection of Plex. I can't find which 'data' is collected.

In any case, I've investigated enough to confuse myself. Not to bore you, but to be clear on my goal . . .
I want only local channels.
I want to hook the device to my Samsung Smart TV.
I want to be able to record two shows while watching a third.
I want to be able to view program schedules a week or two in advance and tag/record from that schedule.
I want to record to DVR. FWIW, I have a half TB HD I can use. From what I've read, none of these devices allow a DVR to be directly attached to the device. Is that correct?
One review laimed I had o have a separate PC to use with Plex/Homerun. Is that correct?

Apologies for the questions, but I believe all are easy one.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-12-2019, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Do you have a Plex Media Server running? If you pay for a one time fee for a Plex lifetime pass, and buy an HDHomeRun device, you can watch local channels with a guide and dvr the shows to a local NAS.
Thanks. I have nothing except a wife who wants only local channels.
Look at my reply to beerhunt for some followup
post #8 of 25 Old 03-12-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I have nothing except a wife who wants only local channels.
Look at my reply to beerhunt for some followup
Ok, that helps. If you don’t want to pay monthly, you can do as suggested and buy an HDHomerun device, connect it to an antenna, setup a Plex Server and pay the one time fee for a Plex pass. If you want more tuners, you can add another HDHomerun. As far as watching live tv, my recommendation would be to buy an Nvidia Shield as it will connect in to the HDHomerun directly using dlna and give you the best experience. Or, you could go into Plex to see a detailed guide and set your recordings.
beerhunt likes this.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-12-2019, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the near instantaneous response. Sounds like that should work.
Sounds like I need to buy HDHomerun, Nvidia Shield, an antenna, and a lifetime subscription. The guide does appear on my TV screen, right?

I can connect to the net wirelessly?
Can I use any HD as a DVR?
post #10 of 25 Old 03-12-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the near instantaneous response. Sounds like that should work.
Sounds like I need to buy HDHomerun, Nvidia Shield, an antenna, and a lifetime subscription. The guide does appear on my TV screen, right?

I can connect to the net wirelessly?
Can I use any HD as a DVR?

Here's a setup guide. This should help give you more detail around what's needed/supported and how to get it up and running. Good luck.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-...view-5379.html

I would also recommend the HDHomeRun Extend due to it's superior hardware transcode capabilities and fanless design.

https://www.buydig.com/shop/product....AaAhgbEALw_wcB

Last edited by m0j0; 03-12-2019 at 12:41 PM.
post #11 of 25 Old 03-12-2019, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Cool

Also, HD Homerun has its own DVR program and the cost is VERY reasonable @ $35/year. https://www.silicondust.com/ Of course setup guides are included.
post #12 of 25 Old 03-12-2019, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 99
To the OP: May I ask why you're not considering a TiVo? Although I've left TiVo behind mostly for the HDHomerun/Plex/Emby world myself - given your more traditional list of requirements and stated knowledge level - it seems like TiVo is the kind of simple plug into the TV solution that would make you happiest.
beerhunt likes this.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-13-2019, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Had Tivo back in the 1800s. wasn't bad. And I did consider Tivo Bolt. The main downside, IIRC, was a $500-$600 lifetime fee compared to ~$100-150 for other services. I'll revisit that and check my memory. Meanwhile, any info/opinions you have on Tivo would be appreciated.
post #14 of 25 Old 03-13-2019, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

The $100 - $150 price point is, of course, only if you have some of the other items already in place and don't have to purchase them also. Note that the $500+ price point for TiVo applies to the current Bolt OTA model. Weaknees still has Roamio OTA models with lifetime for $350 (and TiVo still has refurb models for that price point also).

HDHomerun tuners would require you to have some kind of client connected to the TV. Fine if you already have -- otherwise add that to the purchase price. Plus - either the Shield or a computer to use for the recording engine (although the Shield could double as your connect-to-TV device). Using Plex or Emby requires their premium package (Plex Pass or Emby Premiere). Kodi can also do live TV - but I fear given your experience level that pointing you down the Kodi path would result in a frustrating experience for you. I'm using a pretty crappy old laptop for my current Plex/Emby solution (about 1800 on a passmark score) -- but since the clients I'm using of Fire TV supports direct-play of most of my content, it still works pretty well. In May, I am going to replace that laptop with a home-brew server I'll build. Looking at NAS (network attached storage) prices - I realized I could build a 6-bay server/NAS for probably 1/4 of the price of buying one. (Unrelated - I had a Shield but ended up returning it. For my use - it was just overkill. Plus - because it doesn't do any on-board audio decoding but instead passes it through - it wasn't a good fit for my system. I don't have fancy home theater setups with expensive audiophile receivers. My $30 Fire TV stick could decode Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital - but the Shield wouldn't.) Although I've been primarily using Plex - I have been experimenting with Emby more the past week and am considering a change due to the fact that my needs are starting to out-grow Plex. I've found, for example, that I want built-in nfo support (not applicable to you, I know) and ordering of special episodes within the season they air in. Both right-out-of-the-box with Emby but not with Plex.

There are other network tuners like Tablo ($140 - $200, depending on model for 2 tuners + $150 for lifetime guide).

Stream+ is another option. It was pretty rough-around-the-edges in the beginning, but has turned into something reasonably usable. It plugs directly into the TV for about $150 (plus cost of your own hard drive). It still has some quirks - like the inability to start watching something from the beginning while it's being recorded.

There's also Channel Masters previous (discontinued) model - the DVR+. That was a good alternative for somebody looking for a TiVo-like plug-into-the-TV solution. Looking at completed Ebay auctions, those seem to go for around $200 - $220. Again - you would need to add your own hard drive. Since it is discontinued - nobody can say for sure how long the guide data will continue to be available - but for the cost I wouldn't have a problem getting one for my Grandmother especially since it could always be used without guide data just off of PSIP. If that happens, it wouldn't satisfy your week+ listings requirement -- but currently in the here-and-now, it does.

Regarding your question about my TiVo opinion: I suspect that my opinion on the use of TiVo isn't going to be necessarily helpful. My use-case and requirements are very different from yours. I got my first TiVo a bit over 10 years ago when I decided to cord-cut (before it was cool -- and before all of these pay-TV alternatives came out and usurped the name 'cordcutting'). I liked it just fine -- and it helped win my wife over to the whole no-cable lifestyle back then. But - as the years went by my needs outgrew it. If you're interested - here is a post I made over at TCF back in 2017 for when I decided (and what I was thinking at the time). Some of it has since been addressed (there is an official wireless solution coming soon), but much of it is still valid. Streaming OnePass searches are still not what I would call ... timely ... in updates.

Regardless - I find the flexibility and capability of network-based recording as well as the interfaces of Plex/Emby to be a better fit (for me and family) than TiVo such that I couldn't consider going back unless their rumored Android clients become available. Plus - I was never a fan of the dated TE3 interface of TiVo and think the new interface didn't go far enough in embracing a graphical GUI world.

This is not to say I still don't appreciate the simple solutions. Although removing the TiVo's financed a lot of the equipment that came after, I still have (and use) a $30 Mediasonic box (actually a Mediasonic HW-150 that I flashed with iView firmware -- I call it the Franken-iView.). I found that during football season, syncing the live TV broadcast of Minnesota Vikings games to the radio broadcast was easier with the direct connection over a network-based one. Even outside of football season - the Franken-Iview's job is to record all of my wife's M-F daytime programs (Rachael Ray, Kelly Ripa, etc). On the weekends, she plows through a whole weeks worth of those programs by sitting on the fast-forward button until she sees a segment that interests her. This just works better playing the file directly than a network-based solution. Plus - it keeps all of her crap ... I mean shows ... in one place that I can easily edit for commercial removal and move (only as needed) to the Plex server.

All that being said -- those viewpoints are for somebody with my need and experience. If my Grandmother asked me for a DVR, I would go out and get her a TiVo without question. It still serves a vital role in the plug-and-play simple world of more traditional TV viewing.

Depending on what you already have for media streamers, hard drives, or computers -- other options certainly are cheaper. (And, in my opinion, more flexible and powerful if your needs change). However, if you don't have those items - the cost differences for an OTA solution pretty much disappear when comparing the two.

Last edited by eherberg; 03-13-2019 at 11:33 AM.
post #15 of 25 Old 03-13-2019, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I think I'm confused again. The Tivo Bolt 1TB runs about $250. The lifetime subscription $500-some. The antenna $0-100. So I'm looking at $850 not including a laptop. (Do I have to have a Tivo or streaming only (dedicated) laptop?

Plex/HomerunHD and accessories looks like $500 unless I'm missing something.

At the risk of insulting your intelligence, once more . . .
I want only local channels.
I want to hook the device to my Samsung Smart TV.
I want to be able to record two shows while watching a third.
I want to be able to view program schedules a week or two in advance and tag/record from that schedule and view that schedule on my TV.
I want to record to DVR.
So far, it will be on one TV with a small chance of a 2nd TV literally under the 1st TV (lower floor)

Tangentially, I presume Tivo has an iPhone app, but no android app. And, given Tivo is simpler, can you name a couple of features I'll miss by not going Plex et al? I'm willing to pay a little more if Tivo makes my wife's life easier and missing features aren't deal killers. I can't find a web site that compares them side by side
post #16 of 25 Old 03-13-2019, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry if I threw too much at you. I'm certainly not trying to talk you into a TiVo. It's certainly not the right product for me ... but it did seem to tick most of your boxes. Price-wise, I think you're looking at the TiVo Bolt VOX (and not the Bolt OTA) when you're looking at the TiVo site. It's true that the Bolt VOX w/lifetime is around $850 total. The Bolt OTA on the other hand is $500 w/lifetime. If you went with the previous model of the Roamio OTA, you're looking at $350 via weaknees site or TiVo's site for a refurb. (I wouldn't have any problem with it being a refurb.) That's what I was thinking of when thinking about the price differences -- that $350 price point.

For your use-case, there isn't going to be too much of a difference. Go the HDHomeRun/Plex option - you have a lot more flexibility in future tuner additions as well as clients that can be attached to your television. (As well as better PC or mobile viewing). This does come with the overhead of needing them connected via your network as well as a machine to run the recording engine on.

I was just suggesting that given your needs to simply have it hooked straight up to a television - have a guide - record 2 channels, etc - that for $350 you have a simple solution that meets those needs. If alternative client use isn't a priority - I'm not sure an HDHomeRun/Plex solution is the best fit. Note that TiVo has things like Skip Mode for most primetime programming for quick commercial avoidance. For me - I already have an auto commercial removal for things TiVo doesn't have SkipMode for so it isn't a feature that jazzes me like it does some others.

I should point out that although network based solutions like HDHomeRun aren't as simple as connect-to-the-TV solutions like TiVo ... it also ain't rocket-science. The guides @m0j0 posted above, for example, do a pretty good job of getting you up to speed (and there are others, as well). So if you're thinking of a more home-brew approach using network tuners, it won't be as simple (and it won't be connected directly to the TV as you mentioned above -- HDHomeRun connects to your network and antenna. A client of some kind would still need to be connected to the TV). But it's also not some daunting task that only tech-geeks can master either. :-)

In short: If you want the HDHomeRun/Plex solution, here's how it fits your requirements:

I want only local channels. -- Yes, you can use with an antenna to get your locals.

I want to hook the device to my Samsung Smart TV. -- Kind of. The device itself doesn't hook up to your TV. It hooks up to your network. It's only a tuner. You hook up a client to the TV. Note that if you go the Shield route, the Shield can act as the recording engine and client while hooked up to the TV. Otherwise, both the tuner and recording engine are on the network. Side note: tablo has a recording engine that can work with the Shield also.

I want to be able to record two shows while watching a third. -- Yes, can be done with either option.

I want to be able to view program schedules a week or two in advance and tag/record from that schedule and view that schedule on my TV. -- With guide data subscription, yes

I want to record to DVR. -- Yup. Either choice gets you that.

So far, it will be on one TV with a small chance of a 2nd TV literally under the 1st TV (lower floor) -- Pretty much a wash with only 1 TV (or even a possible 2nd TV). You could get a TiVo mini for the 2nd TV (or wait for the promised streaming box apps) with a TiVo recording solution. With a Plex/Emby solution (or Tablo), you could get an inexpensive streaming box/stick for the 2nd TV

So it looks like your main sticking point is how important is it to be a cablebox-like solution of having the box connected directly to the TV? If fairly important (and I understand the wife-acceptance-factor of that requirement) - then perhaps a network tuner isn't the right solution. If not that important (and the additional slight overhead involved comparing HDHomeRun/Plex or Emby against TiVo) - then the network tuner solutions compare pretty favorably with TiVo.

I should also point out that should you want to archive recordings, I think a network-based solution is easier. Although it is true that there are easy tools out there for removing programs off a TiVo - I still don't find them as flexible or easy when compared to just pulling titles off my external hard drive. :-)

Last edited by eherberg; 03-13-2019 at 12:57 PM.
post #17 of 25 Old 03-14-2019, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

I'm learning quite a bit, thanks. I'm going to focus on one paragraph.
"For your use-case, there isn't going to be too much of a difference. Go the HDHomeRun/Plex option - you have a lot more flexibility in future tuner additions as well as clients that can be attached to your television. (As well as better PC or mobile viewing). This does come with the overhead of needing them connected via your network as well as a machine to run the recording engine on."

I suspect "clients" means a 2nd TV, or a laptop, cell. Correct?
"machine to run the recording engine" I've read this on a few web sites. Does this mean I need a separate, dedicated machine (e.g., new laptop), or add an app to an existing machine?
I'm confused a little on the devices. If I go HDHomeRun (I'm leaning that way), how much of that actually needs to be on the TV stand? Since I can use a NAS HD, I'm guessing the HD can be anywhere on the network and the antenna will be in the attic.

And two bonus questions . . .
I read an article recently noting a 'lag' between selecting (clicking) a show and the time it starts. And a lag between clicking PAUSE and actual pausing. Is there an actual lag?

And LAST, it sounds like Tivo has builtin Skip Mode, but HDHomerun needs an additional app. Correct?

Again, I've learned quite a bit through this thread and the links csmith provided. Thanks to all
post #18 of 25 Old 03-14-2019, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I suspect "clients" means a 2nd TV, or a laptop, cell. Correct?
A client is what is actually attached to the TV. Remember -- the tuner and recording engine in this case isn't attached to the TV (unless it's the Shield). On your main TV, you will need a client with an app to access live TV and the recordings. This can be anything that has either an HDHomeRun app or Plex app or Emby app, etc.
Quote:
"machine to run the recording engine" I've read this on a few web sites. Does this mean I need a separate, dedicated machine (e.g., new laptop), or add an app to an existing machine?
You can use an existing machine. That's what I'm doing. I wouldn't do it on the same machine that you're editing spreadsheets on or using for daily stuff ... but you could, I suppose. In May, I'll have built my server/NAS and then it will be a dedicated machine -- but right now, I'm using a pretty crappy old laptop connected to the router.
Quote:
I'm confused a little on the devices. If I go HDHomeRun (I'm leaning that way), how much of that actually needs to be on the TV stand? Since I can use a NAS HD, I'm guessing the HD can be anywhere on the network and the antenna will be in the attic.
That is correct. The network tuner (whether it is HDHomeRun or Tablo) can be anywhere. All it needs is to be connected to your antenna and your network. Wired would be preferable. It is possible with wireless (for example, my wireless network is done very well and can sling mpeg2 video just fine). I use the wireless for sending to clients like my Fire TV and Roku - but the tuner itself is wired to the router. What is connected to your TV is the 'client' -- the Roku, Fire TV, Shield, whatever. Actually - the more I think about it, I don't believe Roku does well with mpeg2, whereas the Fire will handle mpeg2 natively.
Quote:
And two bonus questions . . .
I read an article recently noting a 'lag' between selecting (clicking) a show and the time it starts. And a lag between clicking PAUSE and actual pausing. Is there an actual lag?
Yes -- that is correct. That is why I still use a cheap $30 mstar-based box for the times when I need precision time-shifting (like the example I gave with football games syncing to the radio broadcast). It's an advantage a traditional set-connected box like TiVo has. Channel changing and command responsiveness is going to be a better experience with a traditional set-connected box vs a network solution. Channel changing delay doesn't bother me -- it may be something that bothers somebody not used to it. And the only time I really use time-shifting as I described is during football season - which is where the 'Franken-Iview' comes in.
Quote:
And LAST, it sounds like Tivo has builtin Skip Mode, but HDHomerun needs an additional app. Correct?
Yes -- TiVo has skip mode, but not for every program. Channels and times it is available for can be seen here. HDHomerun itself has no skip capabilities (and no plans to implement one). Software that can utilize the tuners can have commercial removal. Plex has commercial removal using comskip built-in as described here. Some people use their own solution using MCEBuddy for commercial removal. I don't use it - but others like it. For me - my wife's Mon-Fri shows I end up manually removing commercials from using AVIDemux as the local stations lack of consistent black-frames between show and commercial often confuses the auto commercial removal. I've gotten it down to such a science that I can cut commercials out precisely on I-Frames in under 5 minutes from start-to-finish. :-)
post #19 of 25 Old 03-14-2019, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.
I'm not sure I have the expertise/patience to remove commercials nor do I want to buy a laptop, sooooo, I guess I'm back to Tivo.
In case I change my mind again, give me an idea of lag time. Half a second? 5 seconds?
post #20 of 25 Old 03-14-2019, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Plex DVR would remove the commercials for you. My manual commercial removal is for a very specific use-case that doesn't affect 99% of other people.

Regarding lag -- we're only talking about a couple of seconds, perhaps. A lot of people may not even notice it. It doesn't bother me at all. But some people it just bugs the beegeezus out of.

It's just part of the path as described by Tom's Hardware about a year ago:

Quote:
If you want to watch broadcast television on your, well, television, it's a complicated daisy chain. The signal goes through your HD antenna, tuned by your HDHomeRun, broadcast by your router, picked up by your computer, then beamed to your TV.
That path is true whether you use Plex DVR or Emby DVR.

You can simplify this slightly with a network DVR like Tablo - which would combine the tuner and recording engine in a single device, with you just providing the storage.

But it comes back to your original requirements: When you described your initial requirements, it sounds like a more traditional set top box type is what you were looking at - which led me to think about items like TiVo. There's nothing wrong with that -- it's what I started with 10+ years ago. After a while - you may find (as I did) that your needs are moving beyond the traditional model and TiVo doesn't meet them for you. That's what moved me to start looking at network-based solutions.
post #21 of 25 Old 03-15-2019, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm still leaning towards Tivo. I don't see any significant feature loss my wife would notice and, if needed, a Tivo mini would let me connect a 2nd TV.
I've read more on the commercial skip. Unless I'm reading it wrong, most remotes (tivo, HDhomerun, et al) have a fast forward. Good enough. Ummm, FF works on replays as well as live, right?
Personally, I was hoping for a system that would allow me to use an existing spare HD and NOT need a dedicated laptop/PC. In the end, I think Tivo will meet the more basic needs.
post #22 of 25 Old 03-15-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tivo is not a bad way to go, by any means. I had 3 over the years, with the last one being a six tuner roamio with several minis connecting to it. However, I much prefer my more recent setup of a Plex Media Server with an HDHomeRun, to which I connect from either my Nvidia Shield in the HT area or from my Roku 4 Ultra from my office or living room (or from my iPad or from my mobile phone wherever I happen to be). Also, it allows me to leverage my 12TB NAS so no concerns about having enough storage available for recordings. Of course, I only have 2 tuners vs. 6, but I don't watch that much TV live anyway. Mostly just record and watch later. Also, Plex does have the ability to automatically remove commercials from your recordings, but it does take some processing power, so you usually will have to wait awhile after the recording before you can watch it, so that is the downside to doing that. As for time shifting, you would need to pause Live TV first and let the buffer build up a bit before you start trying to fast forward through commercials. It's the same on any platform.
post #23 of 25 Old 03-15-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Thanks. I'm still leaning towards Tivo. I don't see any significant feature loss my wife would notice and, if needed, a Tivo mini would let me connect a 2nd TV.
I've read more on the commercial skip. Unless I'm reading it wrong, most remotes (tivo, HDhomerun, et al) have a fast forward. Good enough. Ummm, FF works on replays as well as live, right?
Personally, I was hoping for a system that would allow me to use an existing spare HD and NOT need a dedicated laptop/PC. In the end, I think Tivo will meet the more basic needs.
In the near future, a Mini will not be needed -- the TiVo app is coming to Roku.

TiVo's commercial skip is generally available within 5-10 min after an episode has completed recording. It is a single button push on the remote to skip an entire commercial block during playback.

While you cannot attach a common external HDD to a TiVo, it is very easy to replace the stock drive with a larger HDD. I've dropped 3TB HDD's into both of my TiVo's. Because of the whole house networking ability that gives me an effective 6TB of storage and 8 tuners.

Programs recorded OTA have no DRM. If more program storage is needed, current software exists (kmttg) that can transfer recordings from TiVo to your PC. That same software can use the TiVo Skipmode data to remove the commercials from the file. For Plex users, it can name the files in Plex friendly format so that Plex server automatically gets the proper metadata.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #24 of 25 Old 03-22-2019, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Re: TiVo, they just launched a sale that should make the option a bit more attractive, especially the $250 1TB Roamio OTA VOX or $400 500GB BOLT VOX (both "refurbished" units with All-In/Lifetime service included).

See here: http://pages.email.tivo.com/march-mania-sale-2019

>See here< for a general feature comparison between the offered BOLT and Roamio OTA models.

p.s. When pondering, keep >TiVo's 30-day money-back guarantee< in mind.
post #25 of 25 Old 03-22-2019, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
In the near future, a Mini will not be needed -- the TiVo app is coming to Roku.
The TiVo app for streaming boxes will not be feature-equivalent with a Mini but it may be sufficient for many users, especially for less-used locations; however, the TiVo app for streaming boxes will come with requirements that may affect a TiVo DVR purchase decision. (see comparison link in prior post)

Quote:
While you cannot attach a common external HDD to a TiVo, it is very easy to replace the stock drive with a larger HDD. I've dropped 3TB HDD's into both of my TiVo's.
Note that it is cheaper and easier to install an upgraded drive into a Roamio than a BOLT, owing to the 3.5" vs 2.5" form factor difference.

(2.5" form factor simply costs more for an equivalent capacity, and the smaller form factor has a lower capacity max for available retail products; that said, some creative DIYers have modded their BOLTs to use 3.5" drives using an external enclosure.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page