4k movie collection by the numbers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By m0j0

post #1 of 8 Old 03-12-2019, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 914
4k movie collection by the numbers

Hi,

For those that collect UHD movies, I'm curious about the relative numbers of discs and streaming licenses.

For example, My collection breaks down as

iTunes 249
Vudu - 9 (Marvel/Disney movies that I have to use Vudu for to get UHD)

UHD Disc - 8 (All available in either my iTunes or Vudu) - I never watched the discs but if I happened to "host" one of those movies for a group it would be a good idea for the reliability.

I'm sure some people have only or mostly discs but I just wanted to compare with other users.

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-12-2019, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 541
I have about 90 4k discs and another 90 4k MKV files on my NAS that I watch via Plex. The sound and video is pretty comparable, but I slightly prefer the disc in terms of both sound and picture quality, especially since I have a great 4k Blu Ray player that helps me get the very best picture with my 4k projector.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-12-2019, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 914
Thanks.

So do you back up the discs? ...

I have about 1000 MKVs of backed up blu rays. Whenever I see one of those go to UHD I delete the 1080p version. I'm sure many of them will never make it to UHD tho so I don't think I'll be retiring the NAS units ever. .....

I don't have any of my UHD discs backed up and I don't have any other UHD MKV.

But,... Backed up status is another thing to consider. Thanks for bringing that up.

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-12-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 4594
I'm probably around 60+ UHD movies. I've redeemed the digital codes where applicable. Mostly Vudu & Movies Anywhere. I have not watched any digital version yet.

Spoiler!
post #5 of 8 Old 03-12-2019, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Just starting to build a UHD collection. Only have 10 so far, but slowly increasing that. As most will say, I'm hooked on the audio. I'm exploring options to back these up, but not sure I'm ready to invest in the storage (hard drive) requirements.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-12-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
I have 941 1080p movies and 89 4k UHD movies as of toady. I think I have around 30 more blu rays waiting to be ripped sitting on my desk for when I have time to rip them.

I've added 50 UHD's in the past 4 months, partly because I finally got some settings on my projector that look really good on most 4k UHD titles, and partly because I am waiting on my JVC RS2000 with tone mapping to get even more titles looking better than their SDR counterpart.

No streaming licenses, I don't bother as I can stream from my Plex server from anywhere and the quality is better. I keep all the 1080p versions as I both use my Plex on all TV's in the house (most use a FireTV and have to transcode UHD content over 25mbps, and a couple TV's aren't HDR) and I share my Plex with friends and transcoding UHD down to a 1080p stream gives worse results and uses more CPU than transcoding the 1080p version.

I only keep the best version (in terms of compression) and don't make any pre-transcoded versions.

I have 64 tb on my Plex server (32tb for movies with another 32tb for backing it all up) and am currently sitting around 24tb used.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-14-2019, 02:12 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9295 Post(s)
Liked: 5980
I have around 230 UHD BD titles.

And I have over 200 UHD streaming titles between Movies Anywhere, UltraViolet, Vudu, and Apple.

Although I have no idea what the exact number is for any of those.

So far I've only ripped around half of my UHD BD titles to my Plex server for streaming to devices in home and out of home. But I really need to start deleting some of the BD ISOs I've ripped over the last ten years. No point in keeping them if I have the UHD BD or UHD streaming version. Since I would never watch the 2K SDR version again. I have many hundreds of 2k BDs in storage, that I will probably never touch again. Just like I still have around 350 HD DVD titles that I haven't touched in many, many years.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-14-2019 at 02:16 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-28-2019, 02:17 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9295 Post(s)
Liked: 5980
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcheel View Post
How do you guys streaming 4k movies? Devices to run 4k movies are quite expensive.
Not necessarily. It depends on what you want.

I use a couple of Nvidia Shields. Which will playback the UHD/HDR10 video and also bitstream the lossless audio. It will look and sound just like I played the movie from the UHD BD.

If I'm not concerned about the lossless audio, but still want the UHD/HDR10, a $40 Roku Streaming Stick works great. It will direct stream the UHD/HDR10 video. And transcode the audio to DD+.
As will the $80 Roku Ultra.

And an ATV 4K will direct Stream the video, and decode the lossless audio for output in multi-channel PCM. But you can't get the lossless Atmos or DTS:X. Since it can't biotstream the audio. While the shield can get the lossless Atmos and DTS:X since it can bitstream the audio.

Bottom line a $40 Roku will allow me to stream UHD/HDR10 content from the Plex app with no issues.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 06-28-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page