• 1 Post By Brian Hampton
  • 1 Post By aaronwt

post #1 of 9 Old 03-13-2019, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Plex pass

I’m not sure where the best spot to put this so we’ll try here. I got the email with the Plex pass discount and I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth it or not. Looks like it records live TV but it’s not clear on what else it does. Can anyone clue me in? Those that have it, is it worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-13-2019, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
post #3 of 9 Old 03-13-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 691
I always want to buy the pass when it's offered at half price.

It doesn't really add any value for me but I use Plex everyday and will likely use it for the rest of my days so I feel like supporting them.

Unfortunately ... none of the Plex pass extra features apply to the way I use it and so even at half price I have a hard time going through with it.

The plex pass features are summarized here...

https://www.plex.tv/plex-pass/

The live TV thing does sound great... wouldn't help me at all though because I can't get reception of anything (except poor reception of one PBS station) where I live. My house (when I bought it) had a large roof mounted motorized antenna ... couldn't get anything. Antenae web also show my location gets nothing... (They do mention the PBS channel that I almost get)
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 03-13-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-13-2019, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercracing View Post
I’m not sure where the best spot to put this so we’ll try here. I got the email with the Plex pass discount and I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth it or not. Looks like it records live TV but it’s not clear on what else it does. Can anyone clue me in? Those that have it, is it worth it?

You get updates / new features first, you can do hardware transcoding and mobile sync, in addition to DVR capabilities (being able to record Live TV) for starters. You'd also be supporting a great app!
post #5 of 9 Old 03-13-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Plex pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercracing View Post

I am a Plex Pass Lifetime owner and it’s definitely worth it to me even though I don’t use the DVR feature or the ability to get the betas. I use the enhanced metadata and Plex Extras all the time.

If you can use a couple of the features and plan to stick with Plex for a while the discount is awesome and only sporadically offered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #6 of 9 Old 03-14-2019, 02:20 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 8773 Post(s)
Liked: 5548
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
You get updates / new features first, you can do hardware transcoding and mobile sync, in addition to DVR capabilities (being able to record Live TV) for starters. You'd also be supporting a great app!
With my 8th gen Core i5 Plex machine I use for UHD content, hardware transcoding is much slower than software transcoding. When I had a discounted Plex pass for a couple of months I tried out the hardware transcoding. Only to realize that I had no need for it since it was slower. And that was the only feature I thought I might use from Plex Pass.

Now with my 4th gen core i3 Plex machine I use for HD content, the hardware transcoding was faster. But most of my plex watching is from my UHD Plex machine.

Although if Plex ever offers me a great deal on lifetime Plex Pass, I will probably purchase it. But so far that has not happened.
damon likes this.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7 of 9 Old 03-15-2019, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked: 579
The #1 reason for me was/is offline sync. I don't travel A LOT for work, but when I do, it sure is nice. I used to make my own made-for-portable (tablet or phone) versions of my media using other software (like AVS4You Video Converter), and then manually come back home and update my watched states within Plex. A Plex Pass makes that way easier/more convenient. Plex knows your client devices and can create "optimized versions" to store locally on your devices, and then when you get back on WiFi will sync/update your watched states accordingly. Unnecessary? Sure. But it sure is a nice little convenience/luxury...

Same thing with music, conveniently downloading entire albums directly to my phone in 16/44.1 FLAC for local playback without eating data...

I don't use them for Live TV or DVR much (use a separate solution for that), and the version of PMS I'm still on still supports some of the Live TV applications that pre-date LiveTV being supported natively within Plex (HD Grand Slam, etc), so I didn't need it for that... and the metadata/scraping of my music collection never worked very well for me within Plex (Roon has worked much better). But the local syncing of content for travel/on-the-go is a great little perk that I don't use often but I sure do take advantage of when I do.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-18-2019, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Installing Plex Pass Correct Way?

I have been using the free plex server for a little while. It runs just fine on a seperate win 10 desktop. My libraries are just fine and all my settings. My machine turns on and off auto.
I can't find the answer to how to upgrade from free server to the pass server correctly.
1. If i purchase (upgrade) from my plex web browser does it let me enter a discount code?
2. Does the purchase just automatically upgrade (like a license key would)?
3. If i have to download another version (paid), does it install on top of my free version?
4. Or Do I have to uninstall old and then install new? Then redo my settings and libraries?

I just want to keep things simple.
Thanks for any helpful responses.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-18-2019, 05:38 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 8773 Post(s)
Liked: 5548
When signed up to plead pass for a couple of months, it updated automatically. And then I had access to the paid features. Like quicker software upgrades, the hardware encoding, movie trailers etc. And then when I downgraded, those options automatically went away.

Sent from my FireHD 10 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page