AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   Best Streamer for Local Files w/No Internet (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/3056824-best-streamer-local-files-w-no-internet.html)

CDLehner 03-16-2019 11:15 AM

Best Streamer for Local Files w/No Internet

Guys...my GF, doesn't have Internet (I know, I know :rolleyes:). So I took my FireTV and a flash-drive over there; but we had real problems.

My guess is...FireTV, wants to be able to connect to Amazon 'Home'; even if, you just want to play a local file from a drive.

Then...I took an old WDTV Live, I had laying around; thinking no such requirement, could possibly be needed. Problem there is; file-size, is limited to < 2G...which eliminates BD rips, unless I take the trouble of like really Handbraking mine down.

Anything out there...I could get her; so that...without internet...she can play BD MKVs, w/o issue?

Thanks

whiteboy714 03-16-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDLehner (Post 57755850)
Guys...my GF, doesn't have Internet (I know, I know :rolleyes:). So I took my FireTV and a flash-drive over there; but we had real problems.

My guess is...FireTV, wants to be able to connect to Amazon 'Home'; even if, you just want to play a local file from a drive.

Then...I took an old WDTV Live, I had laying around; thinking no such requirement, could possibly be needed. Problem there is; file-size, is limited to < 2G...which eliminates BD rips, unless I take the trouble of like really Handbraking mine down.

Anything out there...I could get her; so that...without internet...she can play BD MKVs, w/o issue?

Thanks

I had the first WDTV before the live and I do not remember it having any such limitation. I had larger files than that with it day 1. Are you sure it wasn't something to do with the drive you were using?

CDLehner 03-16-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteboy714 (Post 57756028)
I had the first WDTV before the live and I do not remember it having any such limitation. I had larger files than that with it day 1. Are you sure it wasn't something to do with the drive you were using?

IIRC...and it's been a while; before I took it over, I tested.

It would not see a usb, that wasn't FAT; and FAT doesn't support, files over 2G. :confused:

whiteboy714 03-16-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDLehner (Post 57756142)
IIRC...and it's been a while; before I took it over, I tested.

It would not see a usb, that wasn't FAT; and FAT doesn't support, files over 2G. :confused:

According to WD you should be fine.

Quote:

The WD TV Live Hub Media Center, WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, WD TV Live HD Media Player, WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player, and the WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 2) supports NTFS, FAT32, HFS and HFS+ file systems for media playback.
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebas...lang=en&p=1002

fmedrano1977 03-16-2019 01:40 PM

Or a laptop hard drive in an enclosure would work just fine. It's what I do for the in-laws, load up some movies on a 1 tb drive I put in an enclosure and works great with a WDTV Live.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Brian Hampton 03-16-2019 03:41 PM

If I were in your place I think I would get a laptop hosting Plex to manage the movies and then an inexpensive Roku to play them back using the proper plex client.

but ... wait ... the problem isn't no internet it's no home network ? ... That is a bit of trouble.

psuKinger 03-17-2019 05:56 AM

WDTV Live SMP was my first Blu Ray MKV streamer. Full 1:1 files (22.5 - 35 gigs). I used to attach them to it via USB from an external hard drive.

I'm pretty sure you can do it now with an Nvidia Shield. There's probably other solutions as well.

CDLehner 03-17-2019 08:53 AM

[solved]

Brian Hampton 03-17-2019 11:37 AM

Just a last word... if I may,... I had big trouble with the WDLive and flash drive option.

I think a proper external HD would have worked.

I used to think WDLive and flash drive was viable but I hosted a movie night for church and it locked up several times. I didn't really trouble shoot it preferring to give it away instead.

whiteboy714 03-19-2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDLehner (Post 57759578)
[solved]

Care to share for people that may stumble upon this?

Brian Hampton 03-19-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteboy714 (Post 57770404)

No need I'm going to buy his girlfriend a router before I visit her again.

whiteboy714 03-19-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Hampton (Post 57770438)

Wow :confused:

Brian Hampton 03-19-2019 09:21 AM

I was just kidding. Sorry if it was offensive. I'm in a weird mood. Again sorry.

But ... A router would help and they are cheap depending on what you get. You don't need internet access to have a home network.

I don't know how he solved it but how I would solve it is get a router that supports external USB hard drive and put the files on that and view them with the Firestick or other streamer.

Easy.

If the OP wants to share how he solved it that's great.

CDLehner 03-20-2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteboy714 (Post 57770404)

Yeah; nothing much to share. I originally tried a thumb-drive...and WDTV Live wouldn't see it, until I formatted in FAT32. Not sure why. Instead, I put an external-powered WD My Book on there; and it recognized NTFS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Hampton (Post 57770438)

Ha :D