• 1 Post By whiteboy714

post #1 of 11 Old 03-17-2019, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Identifying Bonus features?

Not sure what forum is best for this question. But I saw a BD ripping thread here.

I just ripped Bourne Identity and want to have all the bonus features show up in Emby, but I now have like 30 mkv's. Does anyone know a site that has the info for this sort of stuff, maybe one that shows the time lenghts of the files to compare these to?

How do you guys deal with ripped bonus features?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-17-2019, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm not familiar with Emby myself, but I have the same problem ripping featurettes and extras for use with Plex. I have actually just given up on it, since Plexpass includes access to their streaming extras whenever they are available. They have a good number of titles covered; most newer titles, anyway.

However, when I was cataloging them, I can attest to Blu-ray.com as a resource for disc info and featurette titles, I would use their reviews as a reference. They do a great job of listing and summarizing extras, including the key element here, the video duration. If you can get the duration of each of your files, you should be able to 80/20 map each of them to a title based on the Bluray.com review list of extras. Its not perfect, but if you really want them, I think this is your best shot outside of watching each one and hoping you get to a title card early on.

This is mentioned in a reddit r/plex post that I cannot link here since I am such a newb!

Someone there mentions dvdcompare.net, but I cannot attest to its worth here, as I have never used it.

GL and happy ripping! What software do you use to rip?
post #3 of 11 Old 03-18-2019, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
People who want to keep extras tend to use folder structure or ISO as the container to keep the menus that'll provide proper access to the features. (Instead of creating individual MKVs.)
Brian Hampton likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-18-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1204 Post(s)
Liked: 690
I backup only the main feature.

I still have a disc player in my system for anything that requires a disc. I can't remember when I last used it though because it's not often.

Maybe watch the special features once and realize they aren't all that special or if there is a particular interesting one give it a name and make it a feature of its own.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-18-2019, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevnhowe View Post
I'm not familiar with Emby myself, but I have the same problem ripping featurettes and extras for use with Plex. I have actually just given up on it, since Plexpass includes access to their streaming extras whenever they are available. They have a good number of titles covered; most newer titles, anyway.

However, when I was cataloging them, I can attest to Blu-ray.com as a resource for disc info and featurette titles, I would use their reviews as a reference. They do a great job of listing and summarizing extras, including the key element here, the video duration. If you can get the duration of each of your files, you should be able to 80/20 map each of them to a title based on the Bluray.com review list of extras. Its not perfect, but if you really want them, I think this is your best shot outside of watching each one and hoping you get to a title card early on.

This is mentioned in a reddit r/plex post that I cannot link here since I am such a newb!

Someone there mentions dvdcompare.net, but I cannot attest to its worth here, as I have never used it.

GL and happy ripping! What software do you use to rip?
Ok thanks I had looked there but didn't dug into the reviews. I'll have to look around better. I am using makemkv to rip. Does just what I need I've used it for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_carton View Post
People who want to keep extras tend to use folder structure or ISO as the container to keep the menus that'll provide proper access to the features. (Instead of creating individual MKVs.)
But very few players on the market have the ability to play menus right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I backup only the main feature.

I still have a disc player in my system for anything that requires a disc. I can't remember when I last used it though because it's not often.

Maybe watch the special features once and realize they aren't all that special or if there is a particular interesting one give it a name and make it a feature of its own.
Yeah this would only be for some of my favorite films. But your right they probably wouldn't ever get watched more than once.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-18-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1204 Post(s)
Liked: 690
One thing to look out for if you still back up movies (I have moved on to just buying the streaming versions instead) is some movies have hundreds of playlists as a way to confuse pirates. If you just try to make all the MKVs you will wind up with hundreds of MKVs.... Just a heads up.

-Brian
post #7 of 11 Old 03-18-2019, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
One thing to look out for if you still back up movies (I have moved on to just buying the streaming versions instead) is some movies have hundreds of playlists as a way to confuse pirates. If you just try to make all the MKVs you will wind up with hundreds of MKVs.... Just a heads up.

-Brian
No for sure I understand. I also see that a bunch of the MKV's are just the menu backgrounds, I think I have concluded that its not worth the time. I'll just pop in the disc if I want to mess around.
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-18-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 263
There's no automated way to do this if that's what you're asking. At the end of the day it's not worth the time IMO unless it's a movie your really think you'll actually watch the extras for. For instance, I pulled the short films off the Blade Runner 2049 blu-ray because they are actually worth watching and named them manually. Emby and Plex both have conventions for adding 'extras' to your library. Like others have said, if you routinely watch extra features then you might want to rip them to folder/iso and watch them on a player with full menu support. The only thing I routinely pull from blu-rays if available is the original theatrical trailer. That's actually pretty useful, and it's extremely difficult to find theatrical trailers in decent quality for older films.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-19-2019, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
There's no automated way to do this if that's what you're asking. At the end of the day it's not worth the time IMO unless it's a movie your really think you'll actually watch the extras for. For instance, I pulled the short films off the Blade Runner 2049 blu-ray because they are actually worth watching and named them manually. Emby and Plex both have conventions for adding 'extras' to your library. Like others have said, if you routinely watch extra features then you might want to rip them to folder/iso and watch them on a player with full menu support. The only thing I routinely pull from blu-rays if available is the original theatrical trailer. That's actually pretty useful, and it's extremely difficult to find theatrical trailers in decent quality for older films.
I wasn't looking for an automated method, just a reliable source to discern whats what without watching them all first. But yeah I have decided its not really worth it.

Are you aware of any players that are able to maintain menus? I know they are few and far between, I think requiring java?
post #10 of 11 Old 03-19-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I wasn't looking for an automated method, just a reliable source to discern whats what without watching them all first. But yeah I have decided its not really worth it.

Are you aware of any players that are able to maintain menus? I know they are few and far between, I think requiring java?
Right, yeah I don't think there's any good source of that information on the internet. Some of the Dune players support blu-ray menus. Maybe the Zappiti devices but I'm not sure.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-19-2019, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Right, yeah I don't think there's any good source of that information on the internet. Some of the Dune players support blu-ray menus. Maybe the Zappiti devices but I'm not sure.
Yeah 99.9% of the time I am more of a push play and watch the movie kind of guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page