Best solution to "stream" a Windows 10 desktop to a smart TV in a different room? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Brian Hampton

post #1 of 6 Old 03-18-2019, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Best solution to "stream" a Windows 10 desktop to a smart TV in a different room?

I have a Windows 10 machine which is in my home office and it is basically where I do everything from email/social media browsing to watching movies/playing music to occasionally playing games.

I would like to be able to access and intuitively navigate everything on my big screen in the living room that I can on my PC in my home office. Through DLNA, I am already able to go into my office and stream a song or movie to my living room... but I'd like to be able to just use my remote control in my living room to be able to play/pause, etc... and right now I don't think that's possible. Plus, I use J River Media Center software and I really, really like their theater view and would like to browse my media collection that way.

Additionally, I also like to watch a bunch of sporting events at once on my PC through espn.com. Sometimes I'll have 4 or 6 games up at once and would like to be able to watch all those at once on the big screen. Given all these "needs" it seems that anything short of a full windows mirror cast will come up short. I have been unable to successfully cast Windows 10 to my TV out of the box as is.

I don't mind adding a piece of hardware (nvidia shield?), or a dongle or two (Fire stick, Chrome cast???) to my setup to accomplish what I need to do, but I would prefer not having to build a separate HTPC to connect to my living room setup via HDMI (as that still doesn't solve the issue if I want to play my media in the basement, or in a bedroom, and I'd like to be able to do that as well).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-18-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Easiest suggestion I have is to just use your phone. Cast what is on the phone to a FireTV device. Not sure that is what you want but that combined with a BT Rx on the system you want, BT from the phone for music, usic the phone to play/pause etc...

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #3 of 6 Old 03-18-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked: 696
I think the best solution is

Plex on PC
Infuse on ATV4K.

Now there's plenty of also rans so if you are the type that thinks android phones are as good (or better) than iPhones you may look into Nvidia Shield instead of ATV4K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-18-2019, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do these solutions actually cast the whole screen (and audio) or do they just capable media players? I want the option to be able to game, see my full desktop, browse multiple tabs, etc.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-18-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked: 696
In that case you should plug your PC into your TV.

Or build a gaming PC for the TV.

Any casting or whatever is going to be limited and introduce performance problems for gaming.

They also have gaming consoles... Those are quite cheaper and build specifically for gaming pretty much.
Squirrel! and kevnhowe like this.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-18-2019, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Looks like ATV and PS4 both have ESPN multicast. Cannot find any other media player espn app that supports it. You will want to use a media player app to watch this. Streaming from your PC will get frustrating, plus the video and audio will suck. You will also be able to use either box to stream your music and use a remote to control playback. Like Brian, I'd think ATV is best for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page