Comcast Launches Xfinity Flex Streaming Platform - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By giomania
  • 2 Post By ss9001
  • 1 Post By whiteboy714
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By ss9001
  • 1 Post By torii
  • 1 Post By Robertczek
  • 1 Post By TuteTibiImperes

post #1 of 19 Old 03-21-2019, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8586 Post(s)
Liked: 15049
Comcast Launches Xfinity Flex Streaming Platform

Today Comcast announced the forthcoming launch of Flex, a streaming platform that it hopes will keep cord cutters under its entertainment umbrella. The service itself will cost $5/month and bring home a variety of services in 4K HDR, and it includes a voice remote. However, streaming will count against your broadband data, and you still have to pay for separate subscriptions to the individual services such as Netflix and HBO etc.

Click here to read more: https://www.avsforum.com/comcast-lau...ming-platform/

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-22-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-21-2019, 06:08 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Hmmm...4K HDR on a 1 TB data cap? I doubt they will relax that restriction for this service, but maybe I am too cynical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
meles likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-21-2019, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Hmmm...4K HDR on a 1 TB data cap? I doubt they will relax that restriction for this service, but maybe I am too cynical.

The cynic would say that Comcast would exploit that data cap to make people opt for its own service.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Being a Comcast user for years, I wouldn't trust them to be altruistic! And I wouldn't plan on paying $5/mo for the long-term either

Like all their services, the 5 will soon become 8 then 10, then 12, then 15. They want to hook you then gradually raise the rates; don't be surprised to see rate increases every 6-12 months.

No way I would buy into this. When you buy a Roku or AppleTV it's yours with no use fees, just pay for the streaming services which will be true with Comcast. So why rent the box which you will never own?

For a tad over 1 yr's rental and you'll have paid for a Roku Ultra ($86) which is 4K and will stream Atmos.

Forget the Evil Empire from Philly Just another rip-off from one of the lowest customer-rated companies in the US.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 03-22-2019 at 06:06 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Wait there's no channels with it? You just renting a box that does what they TV and streaming stick already does? Wow that is just terrible.
ss9001 likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Wait there's no channels with it? You just renting a box that does what they TV and streaming stick already does? Wow that is just terrible.
What it's looking like is a Trojan horse cable box. People get it, they plow through their broadband data, learn they can't get any sports, and then succumb to pressing that button and becoming a virtual cable subscriber to Xfinity X1.

Or maybe you wind up paying rental fees to Comcast for content that you could also get from iTunes or Vudu or Amazon and upgrading your Internet connection.

I suppose it's going to come down to how they bundle this thing with other services but right now it would be awfully tough to justify, versus going out and picking up the Chromecast Ultra or some kind of Roku 4K device or Apple TV 4K.
ss9001 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #7 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

It was really nice to see that they have Amazon and Netflix, and this will be an easy way to reduce costs if you are already an xfinity customer. I applaud the inclusion of Amazon and netflix, as opposed to the all us only us approach of CBS and DC Nation with their streaming services.

Sorry OP Mark, I read the first paragraph and immediately went into cynical/snarkastic mode.

Today Comcast announced the forthcoming launch of Flex, a streaming platform that it hopes will trick cord cutters into thinking they have 'cut the cord' and gained independence, when in reality they are still tethered to the services under our umbrella and still pay us money to provide them entertainment. The service itself will cost $5/month and bring home a variety of services in 4K HDR, and it includes a voice remote.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

I think this is the case. Not 100% certain but I can't see Comcast giving you Netflix or Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc all for $60/yr when each service is ~$10-50/mo on their own.

For the record, we get offers from them all the time to bundle their home alarm service since their Xfinity boxes support additional services. They want to marry you to their platform. Every offer goes right to the trash, especially since I know the offer is a teaser rate good for the 1st 12 months. And is about same as what we pay now with a standalone alarm co. Zero advantage to switch! But that's how Comcast operates. All the mega-cable companies do the same thing.

Steve
post #9 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknite9099 View Post
It was really nice to see that they have Amazon and Netflix, and this will be an easy way to reduce costs if you are already an xfinity customer. I applaud the inclusion of Amazon and netflix, as opposed to the all us only us approach of CBS and DC Nation with their streaming services.

Sorry OP Mark, I read the first paragraph and immediately went into cynical/snarkastic mode.

Today Comcast announced the forthcoming launch of Flex, a streaming platform that it hopes will trick cord cutters into thinking they have 'cut the cord' and gained independence, when in reality they are still tethered to the services under our umbrella and still pay us money to provide them entertainment. The service itself will cost $5/month and bring home a variety of services in 4K HDR, and it includes a voice remote.
I don't see how you can reduce subscription costs but maybe I'm missing something...unless NF, AZ, etc have given Comcast nice discounts which Comcast will pass onto Flex users. Do you see them offering this as part of the $5? I didn't read it that way. And you are still tethered

I'll stay with my Roku Ult & AppleTV4K.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 03-22-2019 at 07:33 AM.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknite9099 View Post

You were justified in doing so. I have updated the teaser in this thread to clearly indicate that this new service will eat up your broadband data and also that you will have to pay for the separate individual services like Netflix and HBO. It really, truly is just a five dollar month box rental with backdoor X1 lurking as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
I think this is the case. Not 100% certain but I can't see Comcast giving you Netflix or Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc all for $60/yr when each service is ~$10-50/mo on their own.

For the record, we get offers from them all the time to bundle their home alarm service since their Xfinity boxes support additional services. They want to marry you to their platform. Every offer goes right to the trash, especially since I know the offer is a teaser rate good for the 1st 12 months. And is about same as what we pay now with a standalone alarm co. Zero advantage to switch! But that's how Comcast operates. All the mega-cable companies do the same thing.
It absolutely says in the fine print that you have to pay extra for services like Netflix, HBO, etc. and that furthermore it will count against your data.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #11 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
You were justified in doing so. I have updated the teaser in this thread to clearly indicate that this new service will eat up your broadband data and also that you will have to pay for the separate individual services like Netflix and HBO. It really, truly is just a five dollar month box rental with backdoor X1 lurking as an option...It absolutely says in the fine print that you have to pay extra for services like Netflix, HBO, etc. and that furthermore it will count against your data.

Then it's just another cash-grab to try to offset losses from all the streaming boxes one can buy for a lot less long-term. Counting against your data just adds insult to the screwing. What a company!
kateyes likes this.

Steve
post #12 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3041 Post(s)
Liked: 1691
you mean people out there dont have $250 plus comcast bills? thats what I pay, but I do have every channel they offer along with unlimited 1gb internet and home security with 24/7 video on 2 cams. I hate renting the boxes tho...thats $40 alone.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #13 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
you mean people out there dont have $250 plus comcast bills? thats what I pay, but I do have every channel they offer along with unlimited 1gb internet and home security with 24/7 video on 2 cams. I hate renting the boxes tho...thats $40 alone.
It's annoying. $225 or so a month for cable and net (and a land line-don't even own a land line phone anymore) The triple play was less than the double play thus why I got the landline.

but really, no 4K yet on their stinking cable box or anything to broadcast in 4K for $225 a month total?

When will Comcast get on the 4K wagon? I have heard for two years with beta users...
post #14 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
It's annoying. $225 or so a month for cable and net (and a land line-don't even own a land line phone anymore) The triple play was less than the double play thus why I got the landline.

but really, no 4K yet on their stinking cable box or anything to broadcast in 4K for $225 a month total?

When will Comcast get on the 4K wagon? I have heard for two years with beta users...
This is the 4K box, is my understanding. If you "Upgrade" it to X1 through this box, you are in business. That's my understanding anyhow.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #15 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3041 Post(s)
Liked: 1691
in my city they offer 4k boxes and 1gb internet but since I dont own a 4k tv....I have triple play also, no real complaints about xfinity in my area...yet. I still happy not being on verizon or time warner. hated them.
ahblaza likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #16 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
This is the 4K box, is my understanding. If you "Upgrade" it to X1 through this box, you are in business. That's my understanding anyhow.

This appears to be the X1 box just without cable thus making it seamless to get cable if desired. I’m interested of what they offer 4k on demand currently is I search for 4k just Netflix and Prime and occasionally sports. IMO the X1 interface is nice if you search “Tom Hanks” everything on all the services come up and it’s up to to choose. Btw the 1TB cap for me hasn’t been a roadblock I only came close once when my ATV4k was just purchased and I was watching everything available otherwise I barely use half.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #17 of 19 Old 03-22-2019, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
in my city they offer 4k boxes and 1gb internet but since I dont own a 4k tv....I have triple play also, no real complaints about xfinity in my area...yet. I still happy not being on verizon or time warner. hated them.
The 4k boxes they offer support 4k apps suck as Netflix and prime... Not over the air 4k like directv does... It's very misleading how they word it...
torii likes this.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-24-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
Quote:
I had a $110 Comcast internet bill and a $220ish Dish TV bill. Cut the cord on Dish this past January or February and I haven't missed it, even watching the suberbowl was easy with the CBS Sports app on the FireTV 4K stick.

I need to go visit the Xfinity store though because I have a cable box I don't use they keep charging me a rental fee for. I've sent it back twice and they just send it back to me, and they've crept my Internet bill up to $120ish. I think they're charging me for a TV package I'm not using.
TomcatTLC likes this.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #19 of 19 Old 03-26-2019, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's simple, they created a 4K cable box, but none of the programming available through any of the networks offer 4K through the terrestrial means, so they added apps as part of their offering. Not a whole lot of apps, the main ones being Netflix and Prime, not HBO at the moment. Through these apps you can get 4k HDR programming from the streaming sites, but you have to have the subscription to them like you would on a Roku or ATV. Big difference is, you do not need WiFi or Ethernet, it uses the cable coax. The 4K picture is decent and the sound is good, better than the 1080P version but not nearly as good as the 4KATV. There is a whole other conversation about the ability by cable companies to be able to offer 4K programming through traditional means, it seems that there isn't enough bandwidth to be able to achieve this.

I thought the worst of Comcast at first, I have this box in the DVR version of it because I really do not think one can truly cut the cable and get everything they want and still pay less, through legal means, than what it costs to have cable. What is nice about this, as someone mentioned earlier, is that the interface works very well with voice commands and searches. And you do not have to change the input on your TV or HT receiver, think of that complication for the wife who may want to switch from cable to Netflix, it can be made somewhat seamless with a remote like the Harmony, but when something is out of synch, the troubleshooting part is difficult for people not well versed in HT setups.

In the end, $60 a year is not that bad for this. You may have access to PPV movies and events as well. I still have a 4KATV though, cause when GoT comes out, the only way to watch it in 4K is through the HBO streaming app. I don't have to pay extra for it since I already pay it through Comca$t!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Comcast , flex , xfinity

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page