Can I stream PC videos in my smart TV? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By whiteboy714
  • 1 Post By tinhvo
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can I stream PC videos in my smart TV?

I want to connect my win 10 desktop to my Sony smart TV so I can watch movies and play other media that is not supported by the TV. What are my options? Share via blue tooth, network LAN? Or use third party app?


I have mkv media files that are not supported by the TV or blu ray. How do I watch them without using a laptop connected to my TV?
nitynity is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,799
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
I want to connect my win 10 desktop to my Sony smart TV so I can watch movies and play other media that is not supported by the TV. What are my options? Share via blue tooth, network LAN? Or use third party app?


I have mkv media files that are not supported by the TV or blu ray. How do I watch them without using a laptop connected to my TV?
You have a desktop connected to a local network but not close enough to your TV to plug in via HDMI?

If so hook your tv to the network, wired preferred or very good wifi. And install something on your PC like emby server or plex server. You then point the server to your media collection and leave the PC on.
Then on the Sony TV download the emby or plex app and watch whatever is on your PC.

https://emby.media/windows-server.html
https://www.plex.tv/
nitynity likes this.
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #3 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 187
It depends on what age of your Sony TV, only a few that able to handle the heavy work.
I believe it is better to invest a good front-end device such Shield or ATV4K or the alike.
Not sure how much you care about the audio portion of the movies. If you do, get a decent AVR too.
Even a soundbar will sound much better than TV speakers.

Back to your local mkv on your PC.
With the Shield, you can use Kodi or VLC or Plex, etc. to play them if you get your PC on the same network.
Yeap, your mkvs are still sitting on your PC.
nitynity likes this.
tinhvo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
You have a desktop connected to a local network but not close enough to your TV to plug in via HDMI?

If so hook your tv to the network, wired preferred or very good wifi. And install something on your PC like emby server or plex server. You then point the server to your media collection and leave the PC on.
Then on the Sony TV download the emby or plex app and watch whatever is on your PC.

https://emby.media/windows-server.html
https://www.plex.tv/

Not sure if I can call it a LAN, I have the desktop connected to a router(wired) which is connected to a switch that is connected to the TV using Ethernet(for internet). I have strong internet connection for my TV (70mbps). So will the emby/plex app installed on both machines work for my situation?
nitynity is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,799
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Not sure if I can call it a LAN, I have the desktop connected to a router(wired) which is connected to a switch that is connected to the TV using Ethernet(for internet). I have strong internet connection for my TV (70mbps). So will the emby/plex app installed on both machines work for my situation?
Yeah thats a LAN. Which is good, internet speed here won't make any difference, we are worried about the speed of files streaming from your PC to your TV. So yes you are good to go.
Try one or the other and see what you think. What are the specs of the PC? If the files need to be transcoded (because your TV doesn't support them) then that requires a decent CPU/GPU.
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #6 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
It depends on what age of your Sony TV, only a few that able to handle the heavy work.
I believe it is better to invest a good front-end device such Shield or ATV4K or the alike.
Not sure how much you care about the audio portion of the movies. If you do, get a decent AVR too.
Even a soundbar will sound much better than TV speakers.

Back to your local mkv on your PC.
With the Shield, you can use Kodi or VLC or Plex, etc. to play them if you get your PC on the same network.
Yeap, your mkvs are still sitting on your PC.

My TV is brand new, 2018 Sony Bravia XBR75X900F 4k. I have a Yamaha receiver, and Roku Ultra both supporting 4k.
Yes, sound is extremely important, that's the whole point of this set up as my blu ray doesn't play mkv.

Few movies I have is encoded in DTS which is in mkv format. Normally I play movies using usb drive through my bluray, but mkv files are large and it lags while playing through Sony usb port.
nitynity is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Yeah thats a LAN. Which is good, internet speed here won't make any difference, we are worried about the speed of files streaming from your PC to your TV. So yes you are good to go.
Try one or the other and see what you think. What are the specs of the PC? If the files need to be transcoded (because your TV doesn't support them) then that requires a decent CPU/GPU.

It's windows 10, 16GB RAM, 1 TB HDD. I have vlc player in my PC. I can play mkv directly through TV(usb port) but its very slow due to high data transfer through usb port.
nitynity is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,799
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
My TV is brand new, 2018 Sony Bravia XBR75X900F 4k. I have a Yamaha receiver, and Roku Ultra both supporting 4k.
Yes, sound is extremely important, that's the whole point of this set up as my blu ray doesn't play mkv.

Few movies I have is encoded in DTS which is in mkv format. Normally I play movies using usb drive through my bluray, but mkv files are large and it lags while playing through Sony usb port.
Ok if you have a receiver your going to want to hook the roku to the wired network and install emby or plex on the Roku. It should handle the audio, I think it does most (probably not atmos).

Your TV should play most files, probably just a crappy flash drive you have, but if you want good audio then you want to use the roku for playback.
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #9 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Ok if you have a receiver your going to want to hook the roku to the wired network and install emby or plex on the Roku. It should handle the audio, I think it does most (probably not atmos).

Your TV should play most files, probably just a crappy flash drive you have, but if you want good audio then you want to use the roku for playback.

Yes, I just googled and found out emby supports Roku which is great.

My flash drive works fine when hooked up through my blu ray. Not sure why it lags in my TV. Again, it happens only for the mkv files, other formats work OK. Yes, Roku definitely has better audio than playing it through the TV.
I will test it tonight and will update. Thanks bro.
nitynity is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,799
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Yes, I just googled and found out emby supports Roku which is great.

My flash drive works fine when hooked up through my blu ray. Not sure why it lags in my TV. Again, it happens only for the mkv files, other formats work OK. Yes, Roku definitely has better audio than playing it through the TV.
I will test it tonight and will update. Thanks bro.
No problem!
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #11 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 187
When you said "play directly to TV" it makes me think you are storing your mkv on the usb drive and plug it directly to the TV usb port.
Whatever it is, don't do it.
You have everything you need to play around, plus you are running on the LAN Ethernet network.
Anyway,
Note: please get your Roku 4K and your PC on the same network (I assume you already have). You don't ahve to worry about the TV now.
For backend
a. setup Plex or Emby media server on your PC. I think the app is free. OR
b. share your mkv folder(s) so your front-end device can see it. This is the fastest and easiest BUT a lot of people are running into some shared folders issue with Win10 so be prepared.

For front-end.
Use your Roku 4K.
Download either Plex Media Player or Kodi.
Set it up and mount the shared folder(s).
As soon as it can see the shared folders, you are ready to watch your mkv (we call "streaming locally)

Note 1: connect your Roku 4K to your AVR, not your TV
Note 2: your Roku 4K is NOT able to bitstream lossless audio track, just so you to know.
tinhvo is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
When you said "play directly to TV" it makes me think you are storing your mkv on the usb drive and plug it directly to the TV usb port.
Whatever it is, don't do it.
You have everything you need to play around, plus you are running on the LAN Ethernet network.
Anyway,
Note: please get your Roku 4K and your PC on the same network (I assume you already have). You don't ahve to worry about the TV now.
For backend
a. setup Plex or Emby media server on your PC. I think the app is free. OR
b. share your mkv folder(s) so your front-end device can see it. This is the fastest and easiest BUT a lot of people are running into some shared folders issue with Win10 so be prepared.

For front-end.
Use your Roku 4K.
Download either Plex Media Player or Kodi.
Set it up and mount the shared folder(s).
As soon as it can see the shared folders, you are ready to watch your mkv (we call "streaming locally)

Note 1: connect your Roku 4K to your AVR, not your TV
Note 2: your Roku 4K is NOT able to bitstream lossless audio track, just so you to know.

Yes I tried playing mkv files using TV usb port as a last resort. Roku is connected to AVR and the LAN. So it's good.
That's a good point about lossless tracks.

My receiver supports DTS-HD Master Audio, I guess which is lossless.

Last edited by nitynity; 03-22-2019 at 01:13 PM.
nitynity is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,437
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
I bought this so I could cast my work computer to my TV, but my work computer is Windows 7, not 10 so I can't get it to work. It works with my Samsung Note 9 phone through my 11 year old Sony TV, but can't get it to work with Integra Preamp. Since your computer is windows 10 it should work.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is online now  
post #14 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,799
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Yes I tried playing mkv files using TV usb port as a last resort. Roku is connected to AVR and the LAN. So it's good.
That's a good point about lossless tracks.

My receiver supports DTS-HD Master Audio, I guess which is lossless.
Yeah if it doesn't support lossless than DTS-HD and Dolby TRUE HD will be a no go. So if you get blu ray remuxes the audio will not be full quality.
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #15 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Yeah if it doesn't support lossless than DTS-HD and Dolby TRUE HD will be a no go. So if you get blu ray remuxes the audio will not be full quality.

I set it up and all good to go. Now I can watch mkv files through Roku. Never heard about emby until you brought it up. Many thanks bro.


My only issues lately are,

1. I have couple foreign movies with English Subtitles. It shows the subtitiles in VLC played in my desktop but not through Emby. How can I fix that?


2. I have some TV shows in my hdd which I named random names like 1.mp4, 2.mp4 and so on for each episodes. I guess emby is trying to resolve the metadata which doesnt exist and randomly download some movie images and create thumbnails out of it. Do I need to disable the metadata feature so it just shows the real name of the file?


3. How do I sync my media folder to emby server everytime I add new files? I guess its under Libraries > Scan all libraries?
nitynity is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,799
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
I set it up and all good to go. Now I can watch mkv files through Roku. Never heard about emby until you brought it up. Many thanks bro.


My only issues lately are,

1. I have couple foreign movies with English Subtitles. It shows the subtitiles in VLC played in my desktop but not through Emby. How can I fix that?


2. I have some TV shows in my hdd which I named random names like 1.mp4, 2.mp4 and so on for each episodes. I guess emby is trying to resolve the metadata which doesnt exist and randomly download some movie images and create thumbnails out of it. Do I need to disable the metadata feature so it just shows the real name of the file?


3. How do I sync my media folder to emby server everytime I add new files? I guess its under Libraries > Scan all libraries?
1. There should be an option while its playing in the on screen menu to turn on the subs. Refer to the Emby Wiki for naming them properly.
2. Yeah if your stuff isn't named correctly turn off metadata fetching.
3. I have it setup for real time monitoring so it will trigger a scan when I add media to my watched folders.
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #17 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
1. There should be an option while its playing in the on screen menu to turn on the subs. Refer to the Emby Wiki for naming them properly.
2. Yeah if your stuff isn't named correctly turn off metadata fetching.
3. I have it setup for real time monitoring so it will trigger a scan when I add media to my watched folders.

It doesnt show subtitle option for that particular movie while playing but others do show the option to turn on/off.
nitynity is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,799
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
It doesnt show subtitle option for that particular movie while playing but others do show the option to turn on/off.
If the sub is external, as in an extra file not in the mkv, look in the Emby Wiki on how to properly name them. I think it has to have the exact same name as the video file.

You can also set emby to auto download subs. Or get them manually from somewhere like subscene.
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #19 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
If the sub is external, as in an extra file not in the mkv, look in the Emby Wiki on how to properly name them. I think it has to have the exact same name as the video file.

You can also set emby to auto download subs. Or get them manually from somewhere like subscene.

Exactly. That fixed the problem. The subtitle name was different and I modified it based on wiki.
nitynity is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
eherberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Regarding your metadata problems - it sounds like you set up your home movies files as a 'Movie' library. Try setting it up as the 'Home Movies' library instead.
eherberg is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
lan , mkv playback , sony x900f , windows 10

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off