Disney+ Investor Day news - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 316Likes

post #601 of 629 Old 11-23-2019, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Resume/restart is now avail on the LG app, but still no 5.1 via optical out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 629 Old 11-24-2019, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 21
First of all, hope I am in the right forum.

Been waiting on the Disney+ subscription, Just purchased a new Panasonic 65GZ1000, and of course Panasonic is not tied to Disney+ yet, or if at all in the future. (not on there smart functions) they do have Netflix / Amazon Prime / and Youtube built in. What is my best option of streaming Disney+ and getting the full affect of Dolby Atmos and HDR/Dolby Vision? Other sources tied into my Pioneer Elite SC-95 Receiver is as follows, HTPC (Windows 10 based) / Oppo-203 HDR disk player (doesn't have Disney+ app either) and a PS4 (but heard that playing from a PS4 will not give me Dolby Atmos sound?

What is the best option for me to go purchase? and I assume just plug into my HDMI port on my Pioneer Elite SC-95.

-Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K?
-Amazon Fire TV Cube?

-Ruku 4K Stick?
-Apple TV?
-Google Chromecast?

I am in Canada, if that matters for either of the streaming devices listed above. Figuring it could be an issue on some.

Any info greatly appreciated, would love to setup Disney+ and start watching the Star Wars Series - The Mandalorian

Thanks

Media Room: 65" Panasonic GZ1000 OLED, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DMP-UB400, HTPC, PS4, AppleTV4K, Pioneer Andrew Jones Series Speakers plus Subs (Atmos Ready 5.2.4)
Living Room: 50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma PDP-5020FD, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, Panasonic BDT-360, PS3, Bose Acoustimass 6 Series(5.1)

Last edited by wozman; 11-25-2019 at 06:59 AM.
post #603 of 629 Old 11-24-2019, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman View Post
First of all, hope I am in the right forum.

Been waiting on the Disney+ subscription, Just purchased a new Panasonic 65GZ1000, and of course Panasonic is not tied to Disney+ yet, or if at all in the future. (not on there smart functions) they do have Netflix / Amazon Prime / and Youtube built in. What is my best option of streaming Disney+ and getting the full affect of Dolby Atmos and HDR/Dolby Vision? Other sources tied into my Pioneer Elite SC-95 Receiver is as follows, HTPC (Windows 10 based) / Oppo-203 HDR disk player (doesn't have Disney+ app either) and a PS4 (but heard that playing from a PS4 will not give me Dolby Atmos sound?

What is the best option for me to go purchase? and I assume just plug into my HDMI port on my Pioneer Elite SC-95.

-Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K?
-Ruku 4K Stick?
-Apple TV?
-Google Chromecast?

I am in Canada, if that matters for either of the streaming devices listed above. Figuring it could be an issue on some.

Any info greatly appreciated, would love to setup Disney+ and start watching the Star Wars Series - The Mandalorian

Thanks
I prefer Apple ATV4K over Roku Ultra.
tenthplanet and wozman like this.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 629 Old 11-25-2019, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm interested in reading about the sound quality of Disney+ from other members. I posted this in another thread on AVS:

I'm rather conflicted about Disney+. The dvd versions of Star Wars Ep3 and Ep2 sounded better than their streaming counterparts. I tried all versions on an SVS PB12 NSD set at 2pm gain with the receiver at -15db. The streaming versions lacked the "pop" sound at the beginning of Ep3 and the room shaking effect of the ships entering the planet on Ep2's first scene. With the same configuration, I can hear the noise outside the house with all windows and doors closed while playing the final battle on the dvd version of Ep2, but the streaming version is quite muted.

I'll try to dig my OT dvds and compare them to their Disney+ equivalent.

In any case the newer movies look great on Dolby Vision format.
post #605 of 629 Old 11-25-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
I prefer Apple ATV4K over Roku Ultra.
Thanks, I was leaning towards the Apple TV4K, does it support Dolby Vision? seeing conflicting reports.

Was doing more research after my post, what about the Amazon Fire TV Cube? I already have 3 Amazon Echo's throughout my house.

Media Room: 65" Panasonic GZ1000 OLED, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DMP-UB400, HTPC, PS4, AppleTV4K, Pioneer Andrew Jones Series Speakers plus Subs (Atmos Ready 5.2.4)
Living Room: 50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma PDP-5020FD, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, Panasonic BDT-360, PS3, Bose Acoustimass 6 Series(5.1)
post #606 of 629 Old 11-25-2019, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Thanks, I was leaning towards the Apple TV4K, does it support Dolby Vision? seeing conflicting reports.

Was doing more research after my post, what about the Amazon Fire TV Cube? I already have 3 Amazon Echo's throughout my house.
Apple TV 4K definitely supports Dolby Vision. (Including on Disney Plus.)
Bytehoven and wozman like this.
post #607 of 629 Old 11-25-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Apple TV 4K definitely supports Dolby Vision. (Including on Disney Plus.)

Bottom Line is, even if my Panasonic GZ1000 gets a Disney App on there interface (who knows when) I won't be able to get Dolby Atmos as I would have to send the audio back to my receiver some way or another, My Pioneer Elite SC-95 doesn't have Dolby Vision pass thru, so what is the best setup to go with, the streaming device (Apple TV4K or Amazon Fire TV Cube) plugged into one of my HDMI ports on the back of my receiver, this will give me the Dolby Atmos sound, but then I am stuck with no Dolby Vision even tho my display supports it correct? OR should I be sending the steaming device directly into my Displays HDMI? I was able to work around this issue with my 4KUHD player (Oppo-203) when using physical media as it has (2) HDMI out-puts.

Just trying to see what is my best setup, going forward when I make up my mind and purchase either the Apple TV 4K or the Amazon Fire TV Cube.

Thanks again.

post #608 of 629 Old 11-25-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:

Yes to Dolby Vision (DV)... in fact, the ATV4K support Player LED Dolby Vision, where some of us have been testing how to enhanced playback using DV on displays and projectors capable of HDR10 but not DV.

Follow the link in my sig to read the thread of what has been happening.

In any case, the DV experiment aside, the ATV4K is fantastic all around. Although the SIRI controller takes some getting used to.
wozman likes this.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
post #609 of 629 Old 11-25-2019, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Bottom Line is, even if my Panasonic GZ1000 gets a Disney App on there interface (who knows when) I won't be able to get Dolby Atmos as I would have to send the audio back to my receiver some way or another, My Pioneer Elite SC-95 doesn't have Dolby Vision pass thru, so what is the best setup to go with, the streaming device (Apple TV4K or Amazon Fire TV Cube) plugged into one of my HDMI ports on the back of my receiver, this will give me the Dolby Atmos sound, but then I am stuck with no Dolby Vision even tho my display supports it correct? OR should I be sending the steaming device directly into my Displays HDMI? I was able to work around this issue with my 4KUHD player (Oppo-203) when using physical media as it has (2) HDMI out-puts.

Just trying to see what is my best setup, going forward when I make up my mind and purchase either the Apple TV 4K or the Amazon Fire TV Cube.

Thanks again.
Your Panasonic GZ1000 has some form of Audio Return Channel (arc). If your AVR supports arc, connect the AVR output to tv the arc input, I believe for you it is input 2, then you should be able to get Atmos with the streamer plugged directly to the TV, any HDMI not input 2

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
wozman and beerhunt like this.

Last edited by Mike__P; 11-25-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #610 of 629 Old 11-28-2019, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Has anyone watched HDTV Test on YouTube video of what is going on with Mandalorian and HDR? Is Disney aware of all this and working to fix this or do HDR right? I only watched the first episode so I don't know if the others are better or right.
post #611 of 629 Old 11-28-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Has anyone watched HDTV Test on YouTube video of what is going on with Mandalorian and HDR? Is Disney aware of all this and working to fix this or do HDR right? I only watched the first episode so I don't know if the others are better or right.

I have not seen HDTVTest’s video but basically understand the key points that are being relayed by various tech sites. Disney responded to Engadget stating Mando is “True HDR.”

https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/26/...n-hdr-quality/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #612 of 629 Old 11-28-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyP View Post
I have not seen HDTVTest’s video but basically understand the key points that are being relayed by various tech sites. Disney responded to Engadget stating Mando is “True HDR.”

https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/26/...n-hdr-quality/

Ok, if that's true HDR I'm not encouraged. Love the service but HDR needs to be stepped up in quality. Just my opinion.
post #613 of 629 Old 11-28-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Ok, if that's true HDR I'm not encouraged. Love the service but HDR needs to be stepped up in quality. Just my opinion.

Personal preference, but I’ve compared Mando SDR and Dolby Vision versions and I prefer the DV version. The scenes are dark, especially in chapter 3, but I think it works for Mando. There isn’t much color in Mando’s Star Wars universe to begin with, so 8-bit vs 10-bit vs 12-bit color may not be a big deal. Because the scenes are dark, do HDR highlights need to be all that bright? I’m not so sure it’s necessary. Haven’t tested it in HDR10, so I can’t speak to that. For reference, my TV set is a FALD with 1000 nits peak brightness.

post #614 of 629 Old 11-28-2019, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6626 Post(s)
Liked: 6442
Quote:

Mandalorian is not meant to be an HDR showcase. The muted look is most likely how it is intended to look. If you want more of an HDR showcase check out TFA/RO. I’m not sure they (Disney) need to do anything but follow directors intent (IMO). We’ll get a mix of showcase and muted looks as we should
aaronwt and tenthplanet like this.
post #615 of 629 Old 11-28-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Mandalorian is not meant to be an HDR showcase. The muted look is most likely how it is intended to look. If you want more of an HDR showcase check out TFA/RO. I’m not sure they (Disney) need to do anything but follow directors intent (IMO). We’ll get a mix of showcase and muted looks as we should
Well that is true because the few movies I watched looked really good. National Treasure 2 looked excellent, HDR and all. Can't wait to the original is available in April I think.
At the same time if you watch the video I referenced the nits count is 200 which is below what is recommended for HDR. The video is pretty interesting.
aaronwt and Ph8te like this.
post #616 of 629 Old 11-28-2019, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6626 Post(s)
Liked: 6442
Quote:
Well that is true because the few movies I watched looked really good. National Treasure 2 looked excellent, HDR and all. Can't wait to the original is available in April I think.
At the same time if you watch the video I referenced the nits count is 200 which is below what is recommended for HDR. The video is pretty interesting.

I know the video, it’s been shared numerous times. There are too many variables to call it definitive (IMO). All of this talk reminds me of the “real vs fake” 4K which made a definitive statement of a nuanced subject. I’m not sure if the following link will be deleted, but calling it “not true HDR” just leads to clickbate articles.

As we can see in the following link there IS a difference between the SDR and HDR assets.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=882

I get that people want high nit value movies/shows, but we are always going to see variance depending on what the creator wants to do.
aaronwt and CrzyP like this.
post #617 of 629 Old 11-28-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I know the video, it’s been shared numerous times. There are too many variables to call it definitive (IMO). All of this talk reminds me of the “real vs fake” 4K which made a definitive statement of a nuanced subject. I’m not sure if the following link will be deleted, but calling it “not true HDR” just leads to clickbate articles.

As we can see in the following link there IS a difference between the SDR and HDR assets.

I get that people want high nit value movies/shows, but we are always going to see variance depending on what the creator wants to do.

Totally agree and thanks for sharing that link.

post #618 of 629 Old 11-28-2019, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I disagree with some of this but that's what makes the world go around.
post #619 of 629 Old 12-01-2019, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
It seems that it is the devices roku that offers the most with disney +

Disney+ has a Dolby Atmos problem. Here’s what you need to know

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...tmos-problems/

Sony 77A9G, Pioneer Elite SC-LX704, Focal Dome 5.1.2, Apple TV 4K

Last edited by olivierqc; 12-01-2019 at 03:56 AM.
post #620 of 629 Old 12-02-2019, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5131 Post(s)
Liked: 4580
Disney+ subscriptions are $10 off for Cyber Monday — today only

Today, Disney+ is offering up a deal on its brand new streaming service...the platform is giving would-be customers $10 off their first year of Disney+, making it just $59.99 for the first 12 months (and a $69.99 yearly subscription thereafter)...of course, this deal comes with a little fine print...the limited offer does not include a free trial and is only available in the United States and Puerto Rico
aaronwt and Garrett Adams like this.
post #621 of 629 Old 12-02-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
That extra $10.00 savings did the trick. A full year of Disney+ for $4.99 a month (for 12 months). Just couldn't resist.
aaronwt, Keenan, Ph8te and 1 others like this.
post #622 of 629 Old 12-02-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Liked: 3530
Quote:
Exactly if you want an example of a muted, darker, reduced color level presentation have a look at Prodigal Son running on Fox. The cinematography has a look that even seems muted when outdoors during the day. And of course we all know by now that cinematography in Solo was on the darker side on purpose. My hope is more directors will play around with giving their films some more visual oomph. This reduced color palette, muted presentation has become overused and is getting in the way of story telling. That's not to say it doesn't have it's place when used properly.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #623 of 629 Old 12-05-2019, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Disney+ Investor Day news

Last edited by pie944; 12-05-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Duplicate
post #624 of 629 Old 12-05-2019, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Any luck with the Android TV App/audio and utilizing more than stereo ? Sony TV still doing just stereo

post #625 of 629 Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM

A lot of problems with disney + app on my tv sony, i reinstalled my atv 4k with disney + app and everything works fine and i have Dolby vision and atmos now.

See you

post #626 of 629 Old Today, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Last couple of days when trying to play Ep 4 ANH on my ATV 4 K I’m only seeing a 5.1 version when I used to get it in Atmos. The other Star Wars movies all show they are in Atmos. I have not changed settings in the ATV. Anyone else having this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #627 of 629 Old Today, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4070 Post(s)
Liked: 3793
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflauder View Post
Last couple of days when trying to play Ep 4 ANH on my ATV 4 K I’m only seeing a 5.1 version when I used to get it in Atmos. The other Star Wars movies all show they are in Atmos. I have not changed settings in the ATV. Anyone else having this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just checked it and it has Atmos audio for me on my ATV4K.
post #628 of 629 Old Today, 03:59 PM

I do not have Dolby atmos option with Ep 4 ANH

But with the other SW movies, i have the Dolby atmos.

post #629 of 629 Old Today, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4070 Post(s)
Liked: 3793
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivierqc View Post
I do not have Dolby atmos option with Ep 4 ANH

But with the other SW movies, i have the Dolby atmos.
Still showing and playing with Atmos here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Star Wars A New Hope a.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	2651326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Star Wars A New Hope b.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	2651328  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement