Looking for help selecting a media sever to connect to oppo 205..... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking for help selecting a media sever to connect to oppo 205.....

I just connected an oppo 205 to Yamaha A5100 preamp and Sony 4K TV and want to connect the oppo to a device that will have a hi resolution music library, pictures and videos that I can play thru the oppo. I also have a Mac that I believe will be connected. This is new territory for me hence the need to reach out to this community for help/advice. A Crutchfield tech suggested I connect with a Synology DS 218+. I just want to make sure I don’t outgrow whatever I buy anytime soon. All recommendations welcome and certainly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3731 Post(s)
Liked: 2904
The DS218+ is what I'm using here, works fine. It might be slight over-kill if all you want to do is share files, but its a pretty good all-around NAS. Really all you need is file sharing on your home network, and there are many possible ways to achieve that. The Oppo can access SMB and NFS shares. Highly recommended to have all this hard wired to a Gigabit network.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for that input. Yes I would hard wire it. Is there anything else I need to connect to it or control it? Any apps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo2 View Post
I just connected an oppo 205 to Yamaha A5100 preamp and Sony 4K TV and want to connect the oppo to a device that will have a hi resolution music library, pictures and videos that I can play thru the oppo. I also have a Mac that I believe will be connected. This is new territory for me hence the need to reach out to this community for help/advice. A Crutchfield tech suggested I connect with a Synology DS 218+. I just want to make sure I don’t outgrow whatever I buy anytime soon. All recommendations welcome and certainly appreciated.
I think a 2 drive NAS is not a good investment if you are concerned about the future. Setting it up with any useful RAID configuration means that you are limited to the capacity of a single HD. Today, that means, probably, 10Tb and, if you include Hires audio and video is not much. I collect only audio and I am up to almost 30Tb for that alone. (I am not claiming to be typical.) Get a 4-8 drive box even if you start with only 2 in the box. Adding more is easy.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for that input. Yes I would hard wire it. Is there anything else I need to connect to it or control it? Any apps?
I think so. Your Oppo will do it but, frankly, Oppo's UI is crude and the bigger your collection, the more painful it will become. You should consider using your Mac for a good server program. I like JRiver but there are many others. Any will be friendlier and easier to enjoy than Oppo's UI.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #6 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

30 TB music collection is unbelievable! Great input too. I like the idea of getting more than I need now, so It can grow with my needs. Unfortunately the Mac is on another floor so I can’t use that. So please do me a favor and spec Out what you think is best for what I want to do. That would be building a decent hi res music collection, story a pretty big picture collection as well as video files for playing back thru oppo to TV. Please include all hardware, software, apps etc that you would recommend. Thank you very much in advance. I certainly value all inputs I’m getting. Having a forum like this to tap into so much expertise is fantastic.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
30 TB music collection is unbelievable! Great input too. I like the idea of getting more than I need now, so It can grow with my needs. Unfortunately the Mac is on another floor so I can’t use that. So please do me a favor and spec Out what you think is best for what I want to do. That would be building a decent hi res music collection, story a pretty big picture collection as well as video files for playing back thru oppo to TV. Please include all hardware, software, apps etc that you would recommend. Thank you very much in advance. I certainly value all inputs I’m getting. Having a forum like this to tap into so much expertise is fantastic.
You sound like the guy in this television commercial:
I will only say:
1. Get a larger NAS that will let you add drives as needed.
2. Get a laptop/PC/Mac and run a real music video server program like JRiver, Plex, etc.
3. Ask questions.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #8 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Good advice, thanks again
Sponsored Links