Anyone Use LG Magic Remote with Roku Ultra? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-16-2019, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone Use LG Magic Remote with Roku Ultra?

Hi everyone, I've been lurking and searching this forum and the internet at large all day for an answer to this and come up empty.

Yesterday I got and set up an LG B8 series 65" OLED. Coming from a 1080p LED it's been amazing and I love the TV so far. The Magic Remote also paired with our Yamaha passive receiver, which cut the number of remotes needed down to 2.

So, the question:

I'd love to throw it all the way back to ~1997 and get it down to one single remote (also known as nirvana) and pair the Magic Remote to our Roku Ultra as well. Based on a handful of references I've seen here and elsewhere this seems to be possible, but I can't figure out how to get them to talk to each other using the LG remote setup menu.

So, can anyone who has done this share their secret? Obviously I can live with 2 remotes but it'd be nice to get a super slick setup with only one.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-16-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 134
It should be doable

There is an app you can download to android phones. That tells me there is a code.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #3 of 6 Old 04-16-2019, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbe911 View Post
Hi everyone, I've been lurking and searching this forum and the internet at large all day for an answer to this and come up empty.

Yesterday I got and set up an LG B8 series 65" OLED. Coming from a 1080p LED it's been amazing and I love the TV so far. The Magic Remote also paired with our Yamaha passive receiver, which cut the number of remotes needed down to 2.

So, the question:

I'd love to throw it all the way back to ~1997 and get it down to one single remote (also known as nirvana) and pair the Magic Remote to our Roku Ultra as well. Based on a handful of references I've seen here and elsewhere this seems to be possible, but I can't figure out how to get them to talk to each other using the LG remote setup menu.

So, can anyone who has done this share their secret? Obviously I can live with 2 remotes but it'd be nice to get a super slick setup with only one.

Thanks!

DON'T TRY AND USE THE LG MAGIC REMOTE.

Like you, I only want a single remote. And that's what I have. "Logitech Harmony". There's different models. You program it with your PC and it controls everything. For basic operation, get the harmony 650 or 665. Basically, the only difference is the 650 can control up to 8 devices, the 665 can do 10 devices and MORE activities. The 650 is about $35 at walmart and the 665 is around $50.

I have it running my oled65B7P LG, as well as my Philips 4k/UHD bluray player, my apple tv, my roku ultra, my teac AVR,. It's great.

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-17-2019, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
DON'T TRY AND USE THE LG MAGIC REMOTE.

Like you, I only want a single remote. And that's what I have. "Logitech Harmony". There's different models. You program it with your PC and it controls everything. For basic operation, get the harmony 650 or 665. Basically, the only difference is the 650 can control up to 8 devices, the 665 can do 10 devices and MORE activities. The 650 is about $35 at walmart and the 665 is around $50.

I have it running my oled65B7P LG, as well as my Philips 4k/UHD bluray player, my apple tv, my roku ultra, my teac AVR,. It's great.

Any reason that the "don't" statement was in caps? Makes it sound like I could hurt something doing that. Lol.

I'm not inherently averse to getting a different remote, although the pointer feature of the Magic one is entertaining at least while it's new. My friendly neighborhood Best Buy seems to have the 665 in stock right now.

Functionality question about the Logitech:

As it stands now we only need the Roku for PS Vue and HBO NOW; neither of those have native apps on the LG. The Roku is in the home bar (or whatever it's called) on the TV as a named HDMI input. When you switch to that input, are there any added steps to switch what device the remote is talking to? Or is it smart enough to just recognize what's up and work seamlessly?

Neither is necessarily a dealbreaker I just didn't see any obvious buttons to easily jump devices, but that's the only jump I'll really have to make so if it's a PITA it's better to know earlier.

post #5 of 6 Old 04-17-2019, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbe911 View Post
Any reason that the "don't" statement was in caps? Makes it sound like I could hurt something doing that. Lol.

I'm not inherently averse to getting a different remote, although the pointer feature of the Magic one is entertaining at least while it's new. My friendly neighborhood Best Buy seems to have the 665 in stock right now.

Functionality question about the Logitech:

As it stands now we only need the Roku for PS Vue and HBO NOW; neither of those have native apps on the LG. The Roku is in the home bar (or whatever it's called) on the TV as a named HDMI input. When you switch to that input, are there any added steps to switch what device the remote is talking to? Or is it smart enough to just recognize what's up and work seamlessly?

Neither is necessarily a dealbreaker I just didn't see any obvious buttons to easily jump devices, but that's the only jump I'll really have to make so if it's a PITA it's better to know earlier.

Just about everything and everyone is really great at something. Others TRY to do it, and they may be satisfactory, but they'll never be the best. And sometimes the company or person who is great at one thing, tries to venture out to other areas, but they aren't that good there.

LG is definitely the master of OLED tv's. At least for now. Even some of the other OLED companies use OLED panels made by LG. And their Magic Remote was made for their tv's. But remotes are NOT their expertise. Logitech on the other hand, IS the master of remote controls in the tv world. Their remotes can learn anything. Even if you can't program it directly with a pc, you can manually teach it with the device's original remote.

The reason I capitalized my statement wasn't because it would cause a problem. I did it because life is TOO SHORT and I don't believe in wasting my time. It's a waste of time to try and make an LG magic remote work on devices it wasn't meant to do. It's original intent was to control basic input and basic on-off functions. Especially among LG devices.

Same with streaming live tv and such. Roku is the master of it. Apple tv is definitely next. I know amazon has their Fire and google has their chromecast. Amazon needs to stick with Online retail and google needs to stick with search engines and the internet apps. If you want to stream online to your tv, you get a Roku or Apple tv. You DON'T use an app built into your tv or dvd player. You DON'T use a "Roku TV" that's built in. You buy a Roku. Or, if you're big into apple, itunes, etc. then you get the apple tv 4k.

The first thing I do when I buy ANY audio or video device; e.g. dvd player, tv, apple tv, roku, satellite tv, cable tv, stereo/avr, etc. is PUT THE REMOTE IN THE DRAWER. Don't waste your time. Get a Harmony remote. Do a little research to figure out which one is best for you. There's nothing wrong with the lower priced 650 or 665, but don't buy it because the price is the cheapest. Buy it because it will do what you want. Logitech/harmony makes remotes from $50 to $350. This is what they do. They do also make computer accessories like keyboards and mice, but if you think about it, those devices ARE basically remotes; just for a pc. Logitech makes remotes; that's what they do best; look there for a good universal.

FWIW: Even though I use my harmony remote for everything, every once in a while I'll use the magic remote on my LG OLED tv. WHY? Because just about everything I watch and program has 2 of everything. WITH and WITHOUT Surround Sound ATMOS audio. e.g. Watch Apple tv; Watch Apple tv ATMOS; Watch 4k/bluray; Watch 4k/Bluray ATMOS; etc. So, for simplicity with my wife, if she wants to watch over the air tv with an antenna, she might use JUST the magic remote. Or, if I want to check for firmware updates or make adjustments to my video settings in the tv, I'll use the original remote (magic remote). But for day to day tv/video watching, switching inputs, controlling all my devices, etc. It's the logitech harmony.

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

post #6 of 6 Old 04-17-2019, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Just about everything and everyone is really great at something. Others TRY to do it, and they may be satisfactory, but they'll never be the best. And sometimes the company or person who is great at one thing, tries to venture out to other areas, but they aren't that good there.

LG is definitely the master of OLED tv's. At least for now. Even some of the other OLED companies use OLED panels made by LG. And their Magic Remote was made for their tv's. But remotes are NOT their expertise. Logitech on the other hand, IS the master of remote controls in the tv world. Their remotes can learn anything. Even if you can't program it directly with a pc, you can manually teach it with the device's original remote.

The reason I capitalized my statement wasn't because it would cause a problem. I did it because life is TOO SHORT and I don't believe in wasting my time. It's a waste of time to try and make an LG magic remote work on devices it wasn't meant to do. It's original intent was to control basic input and basic on-off functions. Especially among LG devices.

Same with streaming live tv and such. Roku is the master of it. Apple tv is definitely next. I know amazon has their Fire and google has their chromecast. Amazon needs to stick with Online retail and google needs to stick with search engines and the internet apps. If you want to stream online to your tv, you get a Roku or Apple tv. You DON'T use an app built into your tv or dvd player. You DON'T use a "Roku TV" that's built in. You buy a Roku. Or, if you're big into apple, itunes, etc. then you get the apple tv 4k.

The first thing I do when I buy ANY audio or video device; e.g. dvd player, tv, apple tv, roku, satellite tv, cable tv, stereo/avr, etc. is PUT THE REMOTE IN THE DRAWER. Don't waste your time. Get a Harmony remote. Do a little research to figure out which one is best for you. There's nothing wrong with the lower priced 650 or 665, but don't buy it because the price is the cheapest. Buy it because it will do what you want. Logitech/harmony makes remotes from $50 to $350. This is what they do. They do also make computer accessories like keyboards and mice, but if you think about it, those devices ARE basically remotes; just for a pc. Logitech makes remotes; that's what they do best; look there for a good universal.

FWIW: Even though I use my harmony remote for everything, every once in a while I'll use the magic remote on my LG OLED tv. WHY? Because just about everything I watch and program has 2 of everything. WITH and WITHOUT Surround Sound ATMOS audio. e.g. Watch Apple tv; Watch Apple tv ATMOS; Watch 4k/bluray; Watch 4k/Bluray ATMOS; etc. So, for simplicity with my wife, if she wants to watch over the air tv with an antenna, she might use JUST the magic remote. Or, if I want to check for firmware updates or make adjustments to my video settings in the tv, I'll use the original remote (magic remote). But for day to day tv/video watching, switching inputs, controlling all my devices, etc. It's the logitech harmony.

Fair enough and a good explanation of the reasoning. I'm working from home tomorrow so it sounds like programming that may occupy a chunk of my day.

One other oddball downside about the Magic Remote is that it doesn't have fast forward or rewind buttons... I have literally no clue who would think that's a good idea. So a Logitech would solve that also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page