Streaming War may be painful for users... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 2 Post By Jon S
  • 1 Post By Westly-C
  • 3 Post By Kelson
  • 2 Post By Stephen Hopkins

post #1 of 24 Old 04-20-2019, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Exclamation Streaming War may be painful for users...

Netflix is the juggernaut in the streaming business... iTunes on the Apple TV, VUDU and others are not close to the size of Netflix. The problem with streaming is that any title you may own (such as on VUDU) or that Netflix offers is subject to the license from the film owner. Rarely but occasionally, some titles disappear from the streaming service because the film is pulled by the owner.

Now that Disney is jumping into its own streaming service at the end of the year to capitalize on streaming income booming revenue, they have decided to pull all their titles from the other services (Netflix and iTunes, maybe VUDU) and offer them only on their own service. In the future, I do not expect Disney to offer their movies on VUDU when you get a digital copy when buying a title.

So what's going to happen to all my Disney titles (including Pixar, Marvel Universe, Fox movies which are all owned by Disney) in my VUDU library? Since VUDU only has licenses to stream the movies, Disney could decide to end the license which means all those titles would disappear and force you to buy a Disney Plus subscription at $7/month.

Disney is not the only one, Sony/Columbia is expected to offer their own streaming service as well down the road. In the end, we may all end up subscribing to a multitude of streaming services just to watch movies.

In a way, this may be a boon for physical media. At least I know I own a copy of the movie and the studios cannot take the disc from me. Of course, there may come a time when physical media may no longer be offered, then we're really screwed.
anwsmh and Edllguy like this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-20-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Would not make sense for Disney to remove titles from iTunes and Vudu. They make money from them separately from their channel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 24 Old 04-20-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Disney is ending the so called "Pay 1" window with Netflix and will not license to other MONTHLY subscription Pay tv services/channels like HBO, Starz, etc. It means that no other monthly subscription outlet will be sold their new theatrical films after the blu ray/dvd disc sales period ends (6 months in theaters, then 4-6 months home video/pay per view). The pay tv window for recent theatrical films typically lasts for 2 years, then those movies leave pay tv for a year or 2 to go on basic cable. Then back to a pay tv outlet. After 5 years, they are then usually sold to another pay tv channels (that won't happen here with Disney's content), rotating back and forth between it and multiple basic cable channels at different times...

There are dozens of older Disney owned titles on Starz, those will most likely not be renewed at the end of their current contract. HBO has held pay tv exclusive rights to recent 20th Century Fox titles since the 80s. That contract is good for another couple of years, with no talk of Disney renewing or not. Tons of older, or 'library' Fox titles are under license to various pay tv and basic networks...the media's concentration has been entirely centered on "killing Netflix", so there's been no discussion on whether Disney will forgo those monies to boost up Hulu by making them exclusive there.

Your purchased titles at digital sales sites are not going to be taken away, nor will Disney or other studios forfeit the money they earn from them or from selling/renting future releases...
mike_carton likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 04-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I read these posts all the time and agree with some of the comments above. Just because a studio is going to offer their own streaming service, it doesn't mean they will make their titles exclusive. Maybe at first to gain as many subs as they can. But it would be a huge mistake to not license them to other streaming services soon afterward. All IMHO of course.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-20-2019, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Everybody wants to try for a piece of the pie. Problem is they all are over-estimating their self-worth -- how big their silice should be. Reality is, the pie is not big enough to accomopdate the sizes of all their slices. We will see excessive fragmentation at first as every media group tests the waters to see if their particular catalog has the chops to cut it in the stand-alone streaming market. Then comes consolidation as 90% of them learn they can't make as much money selling their catalogs solo, as they could when they were selling to Netflix, et. al.

People will buy a given service for a month to binge on everything they want to see, then dump it for a year or longer until enough new stuff accumulates to make it worth buying another month. If that gap is large, they will see their steady-state revenue stream dramatically dwindle after the initial rush. That's when reality sets in and consolidation follows.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 24 Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 2837
The game changes but the players don't, large companies already control most of what you watch. The big will get bigger. Yearly contracts will offer discounts, month to month will get more expensive. In otherwords when you drill down nothing really changes.. First world problem, basically a time sink.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #7 of 24 Old 04-21-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 761
I read that Disney will remove from Netflix but I haven't heard they will remove from iTunes and or Vudu.

I would be surprised esp about Vudu because I've never seen anything dis-appear there.

I think I will DL my Disney from iTunes. I have had a few Disney titles disappear and later re appear from my iTunes ... it's rather annoying.

I know iTunes has a ready to go response to titles you have purchased that disappear and when it happens they offer you a rental credit as a courtesy...

I recently lost very old redemptions of 2 movies that Disney now owns and the response from Apple contained the following...

Please be advised that iTunes Store is only a store front. Distributors add their content to our store and it is their choice to remove or modify them as they are the producers, distributors, and content owners of the items we have in the store. I regret to inform you that, although iTunes have the power to approve contents to be offered for sale in the store, the developers, content providers and distributors are the one responsible for managing or updating their contents. They can modify or remove items if they wish to, and iTunes doesn't have the ability to control their decisions. I hope you understand.

In short ... you buy it but they own it. It is a bit confusing. I'd like to remain in denial and think that the things I buy in iTunes won't be taken from me often.
post #8 of 24 Old 04-21-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
In short ... you buy it but they own it. It is a bit confusing. I'd like to remain in denial and think that the things I buy in iTunes won't be taken from me often.
When you RENT a digital movie online, you have purchased a license to view the title -- no more. That license is ganted for a very short time and that time period is explicitly spelled out for you.

When you BUY a digital movie online, you have purchased a license to view the title -- no more. That license is granted for a longer time, but the time period is generally indeterminate. The license can end at any time and it will not last "forever".

When you buy physical media, it is yours to play for as long as you choose to own it or until it rots, breaks or is otherwise damaged to the point of being unplayable.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9 of 24 Old 04-21-2019, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post
Would not make sense for Disney to remove titles from iTunes and Vudu. They make money from them separately from their channel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It probably didn't make any sense for Disney to buy the company they bought to offer their streaming service for the price they paid (about 1000 times its true value or thereabouts).

We're in an ongoing weird process of selling distribution technology for gobs of money because the content owners don't understand it and think they can get the same pointless double-sell that Netflix has been scamming the world with for years now. When Netflix moved into original content production as the basis for their subscription streaming "service", Bob Iger (and everybody else in Hollywood) crapped their pants and did the first and most stupid thing all business "leaders" do: try to copy some other fool's business plan.

I do believe "streaming" will sort itself out economically in about 10 years and it will be fantastic for consumers (but will destroy Netflix, et. al.), but in the meantime, it's a big feces sandwich and we're all gonna have to take bite...

--
max
post #10 of 24 Old 04-21-2019, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I’ve found the term “The cloud” very appropriate in a “truth in advertising” kind of way. Also find it surprising it doesn’t discourage people from using it.

Digital copies of media are alright if the buyer has a copy without DRM on the buyer’s physical media and if the media is in an open codec and container (doesn’t require a specialized player, especially one provided by the seller.)
post #11 of 24 Old 04-24-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_carton View Post
I’ve found the term “The cloud” very appropriate in a “truth in advertising” kind of way. Also find it surprising it doesn’t discourage people from using it.

Digital copies of media are alright if the buyer has a copy without DRM on the buyer’s physical media and if the media is in an open codec and container (doesn’t require a specialized player, especially one provided by the seller.)
Exactly -- want to hand me a non-DRM-controlled digital copy that I can play on any player, I'll buy it. But, with movies, that doesn't happen. I don't think it ever will. So, best you can do is make your own from a physical disc while the opportunity lasts and pretend there's no grey area there.
post #12 of 24 Old 04-24-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
People are talking at odds with each other in some ways here.

Many services, such as Amazon Prime, offers 'free' content and 'pay-per-view' (or digital rights to buy) content. Netflix does NOT offer any paid content. You buy into Netflix and 100% of what you view is free.

Disney, and others, when they license their titles to Netflix get a payment, but don't get individual purchases or any real control of how many people view a title.

When they go to Prime, maybe that movie is free, maybe it has a download cost. If it has a download cost for a single title, then the studio gets their cut. If that movie is on 1,000 different platforms, the studio gets their cut for each and every download.

But, not with Netflix.

With Netflix, you can watch any title a thousand times, while it is there, and you don't pay a penny more, and the studio, if they get more, it isn't much.

On the other hand, if the studio already has been streaming content to Netflix, or Prime, or Hulu (etc.) then they can pull all that streaming content back under one roof and setup a service (Disney!) and then charge a monthly fee.

This is the beginning of the end.

There is no reason for every single studio not to setup their own streaming service and offer paid content. You can't get it on Netflix? So what? Why should Disney care? They don't get MORE for you watching it on Netflix. They may get more if you buy it/rent it through iTunes, so sure, it'll be available there, but maybe you just want access to the entire Marvel collection, or all the Disney classics. Whelp, you are now a part of the monthly Disney plan.

Want sports?
ESPN plan.

Other networks can similarly charge to stream their content to you as they like. It carries a cost for the setup and maintenance of everything, but once people start buying into 'studios' and 'channels' on an individual basis, then it can truly setup a scenario for cable companies to die out. You buy a Roku or AppleTV and start buying the channels you want and you get them just like you do normally on TV right now, except no cable subscription, just Internet. Want HBO? Sure! Want Showtime? Sure! But, why? When you can have the exact movie you want at anytime you want from Disney? Or from some other studio?

I see this becoming the norm and Netflix taking a huge hit... If we are lucky, this will all blow up in the face of companies like Disney and they find that it just doesn't work. That is just ends up pissing more people off than it does in encouraging them to buy it. But, Disney is large enough to deliver. But, once Disney decides to leave the competition without a free streaming Disney service, then others will likely follow suit. A WB channel, a 20th Century Fox channel, etc. Hopefully we will see these studios fail in terms of going it on their own, but at the end of the day, after things are setup and running, it's not a ton of expense to keep them going, and it may take very little to make them show a profit that is stronger than Netflix licensing fees.

Leaving us all out in the cold.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #13 of 24 Old 04-24-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Maybe I'm the kind of blind slave-to-convenience that these services rely on to survive, but the convenience, instant gratification, and ubiquitous access to streaming content (subscription, rented, or "owned") is too much to ignore or exclude myself from.

If I deeply care about something (mostly Star Wars and some Marvel, probably less than 5 discs a year), I'll wait until the physical release window and buy it on UHD, probably watch the disc once, and default to the digital copy on Vudu for future viewings out of sheer convenience (along with only having a physical player hooked up in my Theater)... maybe I'll get around to ripping it to my Plex server, maybe not. If I really want to see a particular film during the Digital-only release window, I'll buy it from whatever Movies Anywhere connected service has the best price and watch it on Vudu. If I haven't got around to watching it by the time it hits the Rental window and don't think I'll watch it again, I'll rent from Vudu (or Prime if I have credits from no-rush Prime shipping). If I just want something to watch, I'll poke around Netflix or Prime for 5 minutes and pick something or head to YouTube TV or PlutoTV.

Further complicating (or, honestly, simplifying) things is the fact that I'm a parent. Kids like a lot of random crap content that I would never consider actually purchasing. They also find the self-discovery of that content as much or more enjoyable than actually viewing it. A wide catalog of discoverable content with no per-use cost is, in most cases, VASTLY more important to them than ownership and repeat viewing of some beloved film. If something goes away, so what, there's a hundred other things available. There are definitely exceptions to this rule, especially for my boys with ASD who crave structure/repetition (I have 3 physical copies and a rip of Mickey's House of Villains for if/when it can't be streamed), but for my girls it's the complete opposite and they derive more joy from discovering content on their own through Netflix or other streaming apps and can usually wait for the rental or subscription window of theatrical releases to roll around. I'm sure this will change over time, but it's the reality of how they consume content at their current age (7 and 10). For this reason alone I'll gladly pay for Netflix (and Disney+ when it launches) even if I never view a single piece of content from either service.

I'm a pragmatist and convenience matters. The fact that a 4K stream with DD+ (and Atmos when available) is past the point of diminishing returns for me personally makes the calculus easier. I've not yet lost access to a film I "own" digitally and Movies Anywhere has made shopping around while maintaining a consolidated/aggregated collection mostly seamless. I've never lost access to a piece of digitally "owned" content or, if I have, I honestly haven't noticed. If I do... it's just a movie.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify

Last edited by Stephen Hopkins; 04-24-2019 at 02:24 PM.
post #14 of 24 Old 04-26-2019, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
If I do... it's just a movie.
and if Vudu shuts down, and you lose all your content, then you lost 100s of movies then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
People are talking at odds with each other in some ways here.

Many services, such as Amazon Prime, offers 'free' content and 'pay-per-view' (or digital rights to buy) content. Netflix does NOT offer any paid content. You buy into Netflix and 100% of what you view is free.

Disney, and others, when they license their titles to Netflix get a payment, but don't get individual purchases or any real control of how many people view a title.

When they go to Prime, maybe that movie is free, maybe it has a download cost. If it has a download cost for a single title, then the studio gets their cut. If that movie is on 1,000 different platforms, the studio gets their cut for each and every download.

But, not with Netflix.

With Netflix, you can watch any title a thousand times, while it is there, and you don't pay a penny more, and the studio, if they get more, it isn't much.

On the other hand, if the studio already has been streaming content to Netflix, or Prime, or Hulu (etc.) then they can pull all that streaming content back under one roof and setup a service (Disney!) and then charge a monthly fee.

This is the beginning of the end.

There is no reason for every single studio not to setup their own streaming service and offer paid content. You can't get it on Netflix? So what? Why should Disney care? They don't get MORE for you watching it on Netflix. They may get more if you buy it/rent it through iTunes, so sure, it'll be available there, but maybe you just want access to the entire Marvel collection, or all the Disney classics. Whelp, you are now a part of the monthly Disney plan.

Want sports?
ESPN plan.

Other networks can similarly charge to stream their content to you as they like. It carries a cost for the setup and maintenance of everything, but once people start buying into 'studios' and 'channels' on an individual basis, then it can truly setup a scenario for cable companies to die out. You buy a Roku or AppleTV and start buying the channels you want and you get them just like you do normally on TV right now, except no cable subscription, just Internet. Want HBO? Sure! Want Showtime? Sure! But, why? When you can have the exact movie you want at anytime you want from Disney? Or from some other studio?

I see this becoming the norm and Netflix taking a huge hit... If we are lucky, this will all blow up in the face of companies like Disney and they find that it just doesn't work. That is just ends up pissing more people off than it does in encouraging them to buy it. But, Disney is large enough to deliver. But, once Disney decides to leave the competition without a free streaming Disney service, then others will likely follow suit. A WB channel, a 20th Century Fox channel, etc. Hopefully we will see these studios fail in terms of going it on their own, but at the end of the day, after things are setup and running, it's not a ton of expense to keep them going, and it may take very little to make them show a profit that is stronger than Netflix licensing fees.

Leaving us all out in the cold.

Me and the wife were just talking about this. Like you said, all it does is aggravate us.

My daughter wants the Disney, had to say no. Tired of it, already have Netflix who keeps raising their price, Hulu, Prime, Stars, HBO, its getting out of control. That is 5 different bills to 5 different companies. It use to be easier and cheaper to stream, and now its getting to the point where I am ready to just get the cable back. Once you figure in the way more expensive non capped internet, and all the streaming services, we are already paying double what Cable costed us.

They are not going to Kill Cable with this, They are going to kill streaming with their greed and stupidity.

Last edited by cyberlocc; 04-26-2019 at 02:24 PM.
post #15 of 24 Old 04-26-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlocc View Post
It use to be easier and cheaper to stream, and now its getting to the point where I am ready to just get the cable back. Once you figure in the way more expensive non capped internet, and all the streaming services, we are already paying double what Cable costed us.
It amazes me that people couldn't see this coming from the start -- or maybe just didn't want to. The advent of cord-cutting/streaming was heralded as a way to stick it to the cable companies and get your video entertainment at a fraction of the cost -- as if it was going to be the new normal and only get cheaper with the mythical "competition". Well Duh. The market adjusted as the players discovered they could get even more money out of you just to get what you had before.

- kelson h

post #16 of 24 Old 04-26-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
and if Vudu shuts down, and you lose all your content, then you lost 100s of movies then what?

Me and the wife were just talking about this. Like you said, all it does is aggravate us.

My daughter wants the Disney, had to say no. Tired of it, already have Netflix who keeps raising their price, Hulu, Prime, Stars, HBO, its getting out of control. That is 5 different bills to 5 different companies. It use to be easier and cheaper to stream, and now its getting to the point where I am ready to just get the cable back. Once you figure in the way more expensive non capped internet, and all the streaming services, we are already paying double what Cable costed us.

They are not going to Kill Cable with this, They are going to kill streaming with their greed and stupidity.
Man so true, things are getting worse not better.
post #17 of 24 Old 04-26-2019, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
It amazes me that people couldn't see this coming from the start -- or maybe just didn't want to. The advent of cord-cutting/streaming was heralded as a way to stick it to the cable companies and get your video entertainment at a fraction of the cost -- as if it was going to be the new normal and only get cheaper with the mythical "competition". Well Duh. The market adjusted as the players discovered they could get even more money out of you just to get what you had before.
If I could use a satellite dish where I am I wouldn't be messing with any of this at all. For most things that don't involve gaming or intensive streaming modest internet is all you need. There are other ways to save money in ones life if need be.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #18 of 24 Old 04-27-2019, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If Vudu shut down with absolutely no port-out option for "owned" content then, yes, it absolutely would sting... I'd grumble and probably post about it a few times here but, honestly, I'd move on with my life. As with many other things, we gamble on the viability of the services we buy into. To date, the biggest complaint with "owned" content has been losing access to a few films due to changes in the licensing landscape, not the wholesale loss of content due to a major service shutting down. With Vudu, it's the only streaming play owned/operated by the largest B&M retailer in the country (WalMart) connected to an aggregation service owned/operated by the largest movie studio (Disney) that's also tied into the streaming play of the largest search company (Google), largest software company (Microsoft), largest internet retailer (Amazon), largest movie ticket reseller (Fandango), and most of the other movie studios... so I feel fairly safe in that bet. I've made other far less safe bets (like buying a year's worth of Sinemia at the beginning of April... doh) that I felt far less safe about, got bit by, but would probably do again given the value I was able to extract (broke even on movie tickets in 26 days even with nearly 2 weeks of the service being down).

As to signing up for multiple streaming services, it definitely can snowball out of hand pretty quickly. After cutting the cable, I had Netflix, Hulu+Spotify, YouTubeTV, CBS AA, and Prime. I've since dropped Hulu and CBS AA, share a Spotify family account, dropped Netflix to 2-Screen 1080p, share the YTTV through Family Sharing and, honestly, consider Prime a freebie since I'd pay for that service even if there were no associated streaming service. I've ditched Comcast Cable for AT&T Fiber as well. I was also paying for most of the streaming services alongside Comcast Cable (excluding YTTV) in addition to TiVo service. I've gone from paying around $170 for Cable+TiVo+Streaming to around $70 (which will jump to $77 when Disney+ comes online). If I had to, I could drop YTTV and get by with Pluto+Newsy+Tubi+OTA but since it's shared through Family Share, it's not really as much of a cost driver. If I needed to give up something to cover the cost of Disney, it would probably either be Netflix and just re-activate it a month at a time when I really wanted to binge something worthwhile (a new season Stranger Things, Russian Doll, or the likes).

The key is to prioritize and realize there's so much content available that, even if you miss out on a few exclusive TV series, there's not enough time in the day to watch even all of the excellent content, much less all the crap. I can't let myself spend $200/month for content due to FOMO when I can't watch even all of the top-notch content I have available for less than 1/3 of that price. At least, for the moment, I can pick to spend my money on the content I want most and/or where I see the best value.

Will the fragmentation of so many subscription services kill streaming? Probably not. Will the landscape look the same 5 years from now? Probably not. Did the fragmentation of long-distance carries after deregulation kill the telephone? No. Is making a phone call the same as it was 20 years ago? No. The same goes for the airline industry (probably the best analog given the proliferation of LCCs after deregulation and then recent consolidation). I can vote with my wallet to a certain degree but, to a much greater degree, I'm at the whim of the direction the market goes and have to make the best value assessments based on what's available at any given moment.

I won't exclude myself from the market just because it might change.
Zookster and Slingshot like this.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify

Last edited by Stephen Hopkins; 04-27-2019 at 12:11 AM.
post #19 of 24 Old 04-27-2019, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
If Vudu shut down with absolutely no port-out option for "owned" content then, yes, it absolutely would sting... I'd grumble and probably post about it a few times here but, honestly, I'd move on with my life. As with many other things, we gamble on the viability of the services we buy into. To date, the biggest complaint with "owned" content has been losing access to a few films due to changes in the licensing landscape, not the wholesale loss of content due to a major service shutting down. With Vudu, it's the only streaming play owned/operated by the largest B&M retailer in the country (WalMart) connected to an aggregation service owned/operated by the largest movie studio (Disney) that's also tied into the streaming play of the largest search company (Google), largest software company (Microsoft), largest internet retailer (Amazon), largest movie ticket reseller (Fandango), and most of the other movie studios... so I feel fairly safe in that bet. I've made other far less safe bets (like buying a year's worth of Sinemia at the beginning of April... doh) that I felt far less safe about, got bit by, but would probably do again given the value I was able to extract (broke even on movie tickets in 26 days even with nearly 2 weeks of the service being down).

As to signing up for multiple streaming services, it definitely can snowball out of hand pretty quickly. After cutting the cable, I had Netflix, Hulu+Spotify, YouTubeTV, CBS AA, and Prime. I've since dropped Hulu and CBS AA, share a Spotify family account, dropped Netflix to 2-Screen 1080p, share the YTTV through Family Sharing and, honestly, consider Prime a freebie since I'd pay for that service even if there were no associated streaming service. I've ditched Comcast Cable for AT&T Fiber as well. I was also paying for most of the streaming services alongside Comcast Cable (excluding YTTV) in addition to TiVo service. I've gone from paying around $170 for Cable+TiVo+Streaming to around $70 (which will jump to $77 when Disney+ comes online). If I had to, I could drop YTTV and get by with Pluto+Newsy+Tubi+OTA but since it's shared through Family Share, it's not really as much of a cost driver. If I needed to give up something to cover the cost of Disney, it would probably either be Netflix and just re-activate it a month at a time when I really wanted to binge something worthwhile (a new season Stranger Things, Russian Doll, or the likes).

The key is to prioritize and realize there's so much content available that, even if you miss out on a few exclusive TV series, there's not enough time in the day to watch even all of the excellent content, much less all the crap. I can't let myself spend $200/month for content due to FOMO when I can't watch even all of the top-notch content I have available for less than 1/3 of that price. At least, for the moment, I can pick to spend my money on the content I want most and/or where I see the best value.

Will the fragmentation of so many subscription services kill streaming? Probably not. Will the landscape look the same 5 years from now? Probably not. Did the fragmentation of long-distance carries after deregulation kill the telephone? No. Is making a phone call the same as it was 20 years ago? No. The same goes for the airline industry (probably the best analog given the proliferation of LCCs after deregulation and then recent consolidation). I can vote with my wallet to a certain degree but, to a much greater degree, I'm at the whim of the direction the market goes and have to make the best value assessments based on what's available at any given moment.

In my case, its not so much the money as it is having all these different bills to different people, on top of all my other bills its a pain.

I liked the way HBO was paid on Amazon, I guess thats changing now. If they all would come under a roof, or 2, like channels instead of their own services, I would be happier with that.

Thats good you go out cheaper than cable. We were not so lucky. We have Cable One, and their plan has a 1tb Cap, my family uses 2-3tbs per month with Streaming and Gaming, which meant we had to get Business Internet, so our Internet went from 70 (Discounted with cable) to 275 per month, + the cost of the streaming services. our cable was 100+70 for Net, now 275 + 16 Netflix + 15 prime + 10 HBO + 10 Stars +15 hulu, thats 340 dollars now for us to stream instead of cable.

We are not that much of a Minority most my friends in other states, have similar insanely stupid internet pricing. If you are lucky enough to live in a big city with Google or the likes, then its easier. If you live in a small town, your likely going to get screwed with net pricing. Like I do.
post #20 of 24 Old 04-27-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 75
What can I say, you can just say R.I.P. to the titles your purchased.

What meaning the RIP acronym means to you is purely personal...

Robert
post #21 of 24 Old 04-27-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In my case, its not so much the money as it is having all these different bills to different people, on top of all my other bills its a pain.

I liked the way HBO was paid on Amazon, I guess thats changing now. If they all would come under a roof, or 2, like channels instead of their own services, I would be happier with that.

Thats good you go out cheaper than cable. We were not so lucky. We have Cable One, and their plan has a 1tb Cap, my family uses 2-3tbs per month with Streaming and Gaming, which meant we had to get Business Internet, so our Internet went from 70 (Discounted with cable) to 275 per month, + the cost of the streaming services. our cable was 100+70 for Net, now 275 + 16 Netflix + 15 prime + 10 HBO + 10 Stars +15 hulu, thats 340 dollars now for us to stream instead of cable.

We are not that much of a Minority most my friends in other states, have similar insanely stupid internet pricing. If you are lucky enough to live in a big city with Google or the likes, then its easier. If you live in a small town, your likely going to get screwed with net pricing. Like I do.
That's a painful internet bill for sure and would honestly be enough for me to retreat to cable in that specific circumstance (if it would get you back under your 1TB cap)... and I'm sure my kids could find plenty to watch through cable on-demand and Prime (since I'd be paying for it regardless). In that specific scenario, I think I'd probably land on Cable + Prime + Disney+ if I had to guess.

post #22 of 24 Old 04-29-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Reading threads like these, it makes me glad I don't stream films and have never redeemed any of those vouchers that come with the UHD/BD disks that I buy.

However, don't the streaming entries come with a "use by" date on them as well?

Seggers

Sony XBR-85X900F, Oppo 203 UHD, Denon X6300H, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, Def Tech A60 Atmos tops, the internet and a Nvidia Shield. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #23 of 24 Old 04-29-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:

Great post! Nothing is forcing anyone to buy into every streaming service. Before streaming, in the mid-to-late 90s there were a half-dozen premium cable channels, so you just got the ones you watched the most, or waited for a free-preview weekend to catch up. Heck, you even had to pay extra for just the Disney Channel back then (at least my cable service charged extra for a time). It's coming full circle: pay $50/mo for <100 live cable channels + $7/mo for Disney+, if you so choose. Except now, you get instant on demand access to everything on the service, not just whatever's live (or you record) from a single linear channel. Same goes for HBO, Showtime, Epix, Cinemax, Netflix, Hulu, etc.

The biggest change for me this year is with Netflix's recent price increase, as I can no longer justify paying during a month I have one of the other services. For example, I just signed up to HBO Now for GoT. So instead of keeping Netflix around for the one or two times I might watch it between now and June, I'll cancel for the month of May, as I catch up on 9 month's worth of HBO content (since I last had it).
post #24 of 24 Old 04-29-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just checked and, apparently, I hadn't actually dropped my Netflix account to 2-screen 1080p yet... now I'm thinking I might wait until after Stranger Things Season 3 drops just to get 4K/HRD/Atmos for that... it's always easy enough to jump back up to 4-screen 4K/HDR/Atmos later if just 2-screens becomes an issue, but I doubt it will.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page