Htpc ui? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-20-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Htpc ui?

Hello guys, I hope this is the right place to ask this.

So after Looking through all the available Media Streamers, it looks like my only option is an HTPC.

Now my question is, what options is there for a UI that makes the HTPC controller friendly. I tried this before, and didn't have much luck. My biggest thing is, I need Amazon Prime, and I need the Netflix App.

Dolby Atmos support for Netflix and Prime and Vudu are musts for me, and AFAIK, you cannot run Netflix app through Kodi. Has this changed? Any good alternatives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-20-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 296
There is a dedicated HTPC forum: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...ter-computers/. However, if what you want is Netflix and Amazon playback, you should NOT be using an HTPC. I'm telling you as someone who has used HTPCs for over a decade. Why do you think you need an HTPC?
post #3 of 8 Old 04-22-2019, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello,
I recently looked into this. I wanted Atmos in my Netflix app, but I ended up not needing it.

Netflix offers Atmos on Windows 10 PCs. It will require a quick add-in. When you right-click on your speaker icon at the bottom right corner of your screen, you'll see Dolby Atmos. If you click on it, it will install some software.

The same is true if you want 4K video. There is another add-in. It also requires an Intel 7th CPU, or a discrete NVIDIA GPU.

I'm not sure about Prime or Vudu.

Check out these links for more info:
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066
This help file contains this under Windows 10:
To set up Dolby Atmos on a Windows 10 computer or tablet, download the Dolby Access app from the Windows store. After launching the app, you will be guided through the setup process. If you need help with the setup steps, contact Microsoft Customer Support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-23-2019, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
There is a dedicated HTPC forum: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...ter-computers/. However, if what you want is Netflix and Amazon playback, you should NOT be using an HTPC. I'm telling you as someone who has used HTPCs for over a decade. Why do you think you need an HTPC?
Sorry just seen this, notifications are pretty bad on this forum lol.

I didn't know that, I will check it out .

Why is because I have been using my PC for my playback needs, and there is no set top box for my content requirements. I hate having to use my PC, its a hassle when I am gaming, or using my PC, and wife wants to watch a movie (a local movie) which she either has to stream from my PC or run direct over hdmi.

So as I mentioned, the reason why is I need Atmos playback, I have 7.2.4 system and I want to use it lol. I also have a 4k TV, and a 1080 PJ, I use, for which I want the best audio/video I can muster from. I dont like the hassle of Physical, my wife does though, so we buy them and rip them to my PC, and she has a stand in the bedroom to store them. So I need Local playback, again UHD, and Atmos. Also not just Atmos, I want the full True HD.

Now the issue, nothing does that. Shield has bad scaling so wont work with my PJ + No Netflix Atmos & ATV wont play the rips with Atmos, on top of that I have tons of PC parts around. I can build a HTPC cheaper than buying both boxes, and do not want to have to deal with 2 boxes.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-23-2019, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlocc View Post
I can build a HTPC cheaper than buying both boxes, and do not want to have to deal with 2 boxes.
Having used HTPC with Plex, Kodi (and before that, XBMC), Media Center and others for nearly a decade, I'll gladly take two boxes over an HTPC any day of the week. I'm at the point where I'm watching enough 4K content, and what 1080p content I'm still watching isn't what I would consider critical (TV, older movies), that the Shield's purported scaling inadequacies just aren't that big of a deal (and I never really noticed them before reading about them anyway).

I have an XBox One hooked up as well for Netflix Atmos content but I've not watched a single piece of Netflix Atmos content where the Atmos effects ever made me feel like it was worth the effort of switching inputs, much less keeping another box hooked up... if it weren't for the kids playing Disney Infinity and me occasionally playing Battlefront II, I'd probably sell the thing.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify

Last edited by Stephen Hopkins; 04-23-2019 at 11:38 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-24-2019, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlocc View Post
Sorry just seen this, notifications are pretty bad on this forum lol.

I didn't know that, I will check it out .

Why is because I have been using my PC for my playback needs, and there is no set top box for my content requirements. I hate having to use my PC, its a hassle when I am gaming, or using my PC, and wife wants to watch a movie (a local movie) which she either has to stream from my PC or run direct over hdmi.

So as I mentioned, the reason why is I need Atmos playback, I have 7.2.4 system and I want to use it lol. I also have a 4k TV, and a 1080 PJ, I use, for which I want the best audio/video I can muster from. I dont like the hassle of Physical, my wife does though, so we buy them and rip them to my PC, and she has a stand in the bedroom to store them. So I need Local playback, again UHD, and Atmos. Also not just Atmos, I want the full True HD.

Now the issue, nothing does that. Shield has bad scaling so wont work with my PJ + No Netflix Atmos & ATV wont play the rips with Atmos, on top of that I have tons of PC parts around. I can build a HTPC cheaper than buying both boxes, and do not want to have to deal with 2 boxes.
FYI, if you use MrMC/Kodi on the Shield, it can switch between 1080p and 4k resolution, so you can let your TV upscale from 1080p to 4K. You are right that the Shield doesn't support Atmos in Netflix though, which is a shame.

Just keep in mind that basically none of the streaming apps on PCs are designed with HTPC users in mind. This usually means that remote control support is absent, doesn't work well, or requires hacks. HTPCs end up being more complicated, finicky, and require more upkeep. Certainly give it a shot, but I think you will be in for some headaches. The only reasons IMO to use an HTPC anymore are MadVR and perhaps PC gaming.

Also, does Prime on the PC even support Atmos or HDR? I'm pretty sure it doesn't.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-24-2019, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
FYI, if you use MrMC/Kodi on the Shield, it can switch between 1080p and 4k resolution, so you can let your TV upscale from 1080p to 4K. You are right that the Shield doesn't support Atmos in Netflix though, which is a shame.

Just keep in mind that basically none of the streaming apps on PCs are designed with HTPC users in mind. This usually means that remote control support is absent, doesn't work well, or requires hacks. HTPCs end up being more complicated, finicky, and require more upkeep. Certainly give it a shot, but I think you will be in for some headaches. The only reasons IMO to use an HTPC anymore are MadVR and perhaps PC gaming.

Also, does Prime on the PC even support Atmos or HDR? I'm pretty sure it doesn't.
I do not know about Prime and PC, as there isnt any shows with Atmos that I care about lol. I guess that will change however.

I had also considered a Xone, but the issues with the HDR on Netflix and the no True Hd on MKVs is worse than the shields no Netflix .
post #8 of 8 Old 04-24-2019, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I don't think it does... I don't think there is an app either, just browser based.

I rather like my HTPC. With a good front end, it works perfectly.

I fully acknowledge the shortcomings of streaming though. Netflix seems OK, but it doesn't seem to work that well with remotes.

Where I use my HTPC, I have a Sony BDP for streaming. The HTPC is used for all local rips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page