Samsung Launches AirPlay 2 and Apple TV App Support - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave-T
  • 1 Post By Ramzal
  • 1 Post By bhambrad
  • 2 Post By dmspen

post #1 of 25 Old 05-13-2019, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked: 15472
Samsung Launches AirPlay 2 and Apple TV App Support

Samsung has announced the immediate rollout of a firmware update that brings the new Apple TV app to all 2019 Samsung Smart TVs, as well as select 2018 models in over 100 countries. Furthermore, airplay to support his rolling out in the same update, and that's going to 176 countries. As a result, Samsung TV owners will be able to watch Apple TV "channels" and tap into the iTunes movie library without the need for an external device.

“For the last decade, Samsung has been at the forefront of offering the broadest selection of content available to consumers on our Smart TV platform,” said Won-Jin Lee, Executive Vice President, Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “As the first TV manufacturer to integrate the Apple TV app on a Smart TV platform, Samsung continues to offer our customers incredible value and access to the Apple TV app experience on the largest screens available today.

The Apple TV app is fully integrated into the Samsung Smart TV platform. It shows up as an icon, and provides access to 100,000 movies and TV shows that are available for rent or for sale. Furthermore, the app is able to stream 4K HDR content.

it is possible to subscribe to Apple TV channels within the, choosing the services that you want and then watching on demand. This includes the new Apple TV+ subscription service when it launches later this year.

AirPlay 2 capability means it is easy to play videos and music from a iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Furthermore, the Apple TV app is integrated with Samsung Smart TV features such as Bixby virtual assistant and Universal Guide, which promises to provide a seamless user experience.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-14-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 2056
In an odd move, Samsung provides an immediate roll out for their TVs, meanwhile their phones....

All kidding aside, this is really great of them and is a selling point for the average Joe.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 3770
This pretty much means there won't be any new version of the Apple TV box as more and more tv manufacturers jump on board. Just like when Apple abandoned the Airport Extreme base stations.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
This pretty much means there won't be any new version of the Apple TV box as more and more tv manufacturers jump on board. Just like when Apple abandoned the Airport Extreme base stations.
I am a conspery theorist by any means but I am not a fan of using tv apps, at least on my LG E6 because in order to use them LG makes it so you have to enable cookies and and they do send your info to other companies for adverting purposes. It if dive down deep into all of the clauses it clearly states it. My wife loves to read ll of those contract sand agreements, I guess it is the attorney in her.
sigpig likes this.
post #5 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Except for the fact that the AppleTV is a lucrative gaming and app platform for Apple, but sure.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #6 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Except for the fact that the AppleTV is a lucrative gaming and app platform for Apple, but sure.
The Apple gaming platform will eventually be available on those tv's too. No reason to continue to make new boxes in the future. Why provide the hardware when the tv manufacturers will do all the work for them, and all Apple has to do is provide the platform. Much more lucrative doing that.

post #7 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Apple gaming platform will eventually be available on those tv's too. No reason to continue to make new boxes in the future. Why provide the hardware when the tv manufacturers will do all the work for them, and all Apple has to do is provide the platform. Much more lucrative doing that.
Which is exactly why Sony is discontinuing the Playstation hardware, and Microsoft is discontinuing the Xbox hardware, because TVs are every bit as powerful these days.

Oh, wait...

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

post #8 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Which is exactly why Sony is discontinuing the Playstation hardware, and Microsoft is discontinuing the Xbox hardware, because TVs are every bit as powerful these days.

Oh, wait...
I wouldn't put Apple in the same sentence with Sony or Microsoft when it comes to gaming. Because when it comes to gaming, everyone who is serious about it wants an ATV box. Apple is not even in their league.

post #9 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wouldn't put Apple in the same sentence with Sony or Microsoft when it comes to gaming. Because when it comes to gaming, everyone who is serious about it wants an ATV box. Apple is not even in their league.
I didn't say they were, but you seem to be implying that a Samsung television is in the same league, or will soon be in the same league, as an AppleTV, and that's laughable.

post #10 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
I am a conspery theorist by any means but I am not a fan of using tv apps, at least on my LG E6 because in order to use them LG makes it so you have to enable cookies and and they do send your info to other companies for adverting purposes. It if dive down deep into all of the clauses it clearly states it. My wife loves to read ll of those contract sand agreements, I guess it is the attorney in her.
I prefer the Netflix app on my E6 over the ATV4K. At least DV isn't messed up with elevated blacks like it is on the ATV.

post #11 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I didn't say they were, but you seem to be implying that a Samsung television is in the same league, or will soon be in the same league, as an AppleTV, and that's laughable.
You were also implying that gaming on the ATV is big revenue. It's not. Streaming is the big revenue on ATV boxes. It always has been. My 3 year old LG E6 streams just as well, if not better than my ATV4K box when it comes to Netflix, Amazon, etc. Most people who buy the ATV, don't buy it for gaming or apps. They buy it for streaming. Most new tv's can stream just as well as the ATV, and have most of the same apps available.

post #12 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You were also implying that gaming on the ATV is big revenue. It's not. Streaming is the big revenue on ATV boxes. It always has been. My 3 year old LG E6 streams just as well, if not better than my ATV4K box when it comes to Netflix, Amazon, etc. Most people who buy the ATV, don't buy it for gaming or apps. They buy it for streaming. Most new tv's can stream just as well as the ATV, and have most of the same apps available.
If you think Apple is going to give up on gaming on the AppleTV, well, you're special.

https://www.apple.com/apple-arcade/

Game developers will convince them to offer a better controller. They love developing for the ATV, because it's easy, and it's powerful. The processor, which is already designed and built by Apple, falls somewhere between a Switch and a PS4/Xbox. Games are easily ported from iOS, and from Xbox. The App Store makes games easy to find, and it's cross platform, so when someone buys it on their iPhone or iPad, it's already on their AppleTV.

And you're also conveniently ignoring all the other apps that run directly on the AppleTV, subscription apps that Apple receives a cut of revenue, etc.

I'm happy that you like your TV. The AppleTV is not going anywhere.

Last edited by thrillcat; 05-14-2019 at 11:10 AM.
post #13 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Unfortunately, the PQ is awful compared to using an ATV4K. It looks like 1080p/SDR
post #14 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzal View Post
Unfortunately, the PQ is awful compared to using an ATV4K. It looks like 1080p/SDR
True.Its a good first step. I don't think they will exit hardware AppleTVs. I wish theyd make a stick.
post #15 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhambrad View Post
True.Its a good first step. I don't think they will exit hardware AppleTVs. I wish theyd make a stick.
I was really hoping PQ would be identical. I don't understand why it isn't. I was hoping to remove the ATV4K altogether and free up the HDMI, as I really only use it for digital movie purchases.
post #16 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was really hoping PQ would be identical. I don't understand why it isn't. I was hoping to remove the ATV4K altogether and free up the HDMI, as I really only use it for digital movie purchases.
It's simple. They have limited hardware on Smart TVs. Your best best is wait for the port to FireTV 4K stick and use the AppleTV app there. It will look great.
post #17 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
It's simple. They have limited hardware on Smart TVs. Your best best is wait for the port to FireTV 4K stick and use the AppleTV app there. It will look great.
What's interesting to me about this is my ATV Library loads MUCH faster on my TV than it does on the ATV4K.
post #18 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What's interesting to me about this is my ATV Library loads MUCH faster on my TV than it does on the ATV4K.
I think they made images smaller. UI looks great.
post #19 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I think they made images smaller. UI looks great.
Ah that makes sense then! Even still, at the quality level the app provides, it's near useless to me
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #20 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I don’t think the internal app can play Dolby Atmos or Vision.
post #21 of 25 Old 05-14-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingshot View Post
Samsung doesn't support either.
cobr likes this.
post #22 of 25 Old 05-15-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Can you stream 4K videos shot on an iPhone to the TV using this new feature?
post #23 of 25 Old 05-16-2019, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I wish these writers of articles would proof read their stories. I'm sure the articles are 'voice written', but some of them are awful, like this one. Missing words, non-sensical sentences. <sigh>
thrillcat and tonyjspr9 like this.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Thos that understand binary and those that don't.
post #24 of 25 Old 05-29-2019, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingshot View Post
I don't think the internal app supports 4K or HDR !

Total fail... Hopefully an update would be provided.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 05-29-2019 at 06:53 AM.
post #25 of 25 Old 06-11-2019, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Just fired up my new RU 7100, and it was brisk, with the ATV app loaded. Responsive and within an option to use your phone to key in login and password, I was up and running within minutes.
A nice way to have another spot to view my library without another ATV box.

I'm satisfied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page