post #61 of 122 Old 09-15-2019, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
I suppose I've never really spent the time to explorer the media centre functionality.
You should its a real boon. Certainly the best media center I've used.

I've got 20+ shares so Explorer does not work for me and having all material in one wall is efficient. Not to mention the various other benefits.

7.1 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Dune HD Solo 4K, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome, LG OLED E7V
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Firestick 4K, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 122 Old 09-17-2019, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Full menu support

I have just ordered this player and ask the same question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrvChild View Post
Can anyone comment on whether or not their BD / DVD / UHD Menu feature is working? Their website (https://zappiti.com/zappiti-pro-4k-hdr.html about 1/3 of the way down) says that the entire "4K HDR" line has full menu support. Wonder if it is working and how well it works?

Thanks.

JVC DLA-X5900 - Martin Logan Montis - Aesthetix Atlas - Aesthetix Calypso - Anthem D2V - 2x REL Strata 5 - Lumin D2 - Zappiti Pro 4K HDR - Qnap NAS - Roon
post #63 of 122 Old 09-17-2019, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzsolt View Post
I have just ordered this player and ask the same question:

I'll run through a few ISO's tonight and confirm that for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 122 Old 09-18-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I'll run through a few ISO's tonight and confirm that for you.

Thanks that would be great.
I actually don't have any ISO's at the moment, I backed up all my disks in BDMV folders. My Oppo 203 can play those with full menu support, I hope this playr can do that too...

JVC DLA-X5900 - Martin Logan Montis - Aesthetix Atlas - Aesthetix Calypso - Anthem D2V - 2x REL Strata 5 - Lumin D2 - Zappiti Pro 4K HDR - Qnap NAS - Roon
post #65 of 122 Old 09-18-2019, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for very nice feedback, Pasadena.

Seagte irnowold 12 tb was too noisy for me and it was overheated very quickly. it was under 14 days return so send it back. Overall it was working fine with my new Pro. Now i am thinking of going like your solution My book duo. Is 20TB My book duo red drives are working fine for you ? did you format them or use them in default. by default they are on RAID 0 config. is overheating making them laggy in your new Pro? your more feedback on using 20TB WD My Book Duo for Pro will be appreciated.

Quote:
I picked up my Zappiti Pro and a 20TB WD My Book Duo last week and thought I'd add some photos of the box and its contents for folks to see. Packaging seems very much like an oppo, which is good to see that Zappiti is taking great care in having it at well packed. As you can see it comes with a myriad of cables, remote and a recovery dongle. For the purpose of this quick review, I also own a Zappiti Mini 4K HDR and One SE 4K HDR.

The first thing you will notice is the change in remotes and a move away from the more clunky style remotes offered on previous models. Coming from a Syabas Popcorn Hour A400 and VTEN, I always preferred their remote, even to the clunky style due to the better styling and responsiveness of the remote. I even still prefer the ease and quickness of screen navigation on my Popcorn Hour VTEN. I like the new Zappiti Pro remote. It looks sleek and sexy and button styling is definitely better than Zappiti's current remote used on all other models. I would still like to see the Pro wheel slightly raised (slanted up towards the outer side of the wheel) to give it that separation from the surrounding buttons. A welcome feature you will notice on the remote are the 4 extra buttons that will allow to skip either 10 or 60 seconds in forward or reverse as opposed to pressing left or right to skip in one min increments. My only real main gripe is that the page up and down buttons , still, do not work. Zappiti, when are you going to get these buttons working?

As I only use explorer or Music and navigation around screens is definitely much quicker and more responsive. Movies certainly load up quicker. Searching for network shares and devices, I'd say, is marginally quicker but I'd imagine this is dependent on the speed of your network and idle network devices responding to requests and thus waking from sleep and drive spin up. Video does look sharper with better colour rendering but I need to do some more testing on the audio side of things as I've come across an issue, which I need to test on my other Zappiti models before making any further assertions.

As you can see I also purchased the 20TB My book duo, which allows you to easily remove the drives from their cradles. In this case, I remove both 10TB WD Red NAS and inserted them into the dual drive bays and detected both drives without any issues. I can say that after leaving the 10TB drives inserted into the drive bays that they do get hot sitting within the Pro. Don't know whether or not this is a good thing but I'd imagine a silent fan mod to the case in future would be a consideration. I would have a number of holes drilled on either side of the case and have a fan at the rear drawing in cooler air from sides and hot air dispelled to the rear to avoid any overheating of the internal drives. I will be inserting a number of other HDD's I have to check compatibility. I don't believe there are any issues in using most drives available on the market today unless there's clearly a size/dimensional issue or the drives will run too hot.

I understand that Zappiti will be making the new Pro remote available as an optional purchase for 40 Euro for use on all their other models. I think Zappiti would be much better off just dispensing with the old remote on all other models and just implementing the new remote to all their models from now on. Seriously, the difference between the cost of making both remotes wouldn't be great and I'd he happy to pay a few extra bob to have the newer remote. Offer the newer remote as an optional upgrade at time of purchase, for maybe an extra 10 euro than to shell out 40 Euro's for another remote. It's all about keeping your customers happy

The one thing I do miss is DSD support, which I loved about the Popcorn Hour. I still have my Popcorn Hour A400 connected just for this purpose. Are there any plans for future firmware updates to support DSD on the pro?

I'll will be on the lookout for Dune's flagship HD Ultra 4K, which has DSD support and are arguably with better chipsets but I would like to see a direct comparison of the new Dune when it's released and the Pro considering these are aimed at the higher end of hi-fi/media player market. I would hope when Zappiti release their next updated models of the Pro that they will seriously consider what chipsets they will be using, considering the amount of money these cost. People are not stupid and a lot of people are going to balk paying these sort of prices.
post #66 of 122 Old 09-18-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks that would be great.
I actually don't have any ISO's at the moment, I backed up all my disks in BDMV folders. My Oppo 203 can play those with full menu support, I hope this playr can do that too...

Ok. I tested a blu-Ray ISO, DVD ISO and a BDMV folder of an UHD Demo. I tested these on both the Mini 4K HDR and the Pro, both running v3.13 and have posted pics of the results.

As you can see, Full Menu's are working perfectly for me. When I run each type I'm always greeted with the following screen "Menu Available - Would you like to launch the Menu". You will also notice on the right hand side of the screen it states that you can press "Ok" to play the media or select the right arrow to view the folders. In all 3 cases I selected "Ok". With the blu-ray you can peruse through all the menu tree and the same goes with the DVD. If you want to go back to the movie Menu, you select the Menu key on the remote and a menu screen pops up to select whether or not you want to go Top of menu and so forth. Last was the UHD BDMV folder with results being the same as the others. To end, press the return key and another screen pops up to confirm exit from playback.

Happy Menuing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full-Menu-1 (2) (Phone).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	2617142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full-Menu-2 (2) (Phone).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	2617144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full-Menu-3 (2) (Phone).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	2617146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full-Menu-4 (2) (Phone).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	2617148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full-Menu-5 (Phone).jpg
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	2617150  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Full-Menu-6 (Phone).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	2617152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full-Menu-7 (Phone).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	2617154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full-Menu-8 (2) (Phone).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	2617156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full-Menu-9 (Phone).jpg
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	2617158  
Anaya Khan likes this.
post #67 of 122 Old 09-18-2019, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
cool. I know if its happen with you or not. but for me some 4k bluray menus looks wash out, some works perfectly. Only menu didn't work for me out of 35 4k blurays IOS tested so far is Atmos demo bluray 2016. Otherwise every menu works perfectly on my pro too. I am interested to know that hows your two WD red drives are doing. I also think to going for 20TB WD My Book Duo for Pro too.

Quote:
Ok. I tested a blu-Ray ISO, DVD ISO and a BDMV folder of an UHD Demo. I tested these on both the Mini 4K HDR and the Pro, both running v3.13 and have posted pics of the results.

As you can see, Full Menu's are working perfectly for me. When I run each type I'm always greeted with the following screen "Menu Available - Would you like to launch the Menu". You will also notice on the right hand side of the screen it states that you can press "Ok" to play the media or select the right arrow to view the folders. In all 3 cases I selected "Ok". With the blu-ray you can peruse through all the menu tree and the same goes with the DVD. If you want to go back to the movie Menu, you select the Menu key on the remote and a menu screen pops up to select whether or not you want to go Top of menu and so forth. Last was the UHD BDMV folder with results being the same as the others. To end, press the return key and another screen pops up to confirm exit from playback.

Happy Menuing.
post #68 of 122 Old 09-18-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaya Khan View Post
Thanks for very nice feedback, Pasadena.

Seagate ironwolf 12 tb was too noisy for me and it was overheated very quickly. it was under 14 days return so send it back. Overall it was working fine with my new Pro. Now i am thinking of going like your solution My book duo. Is 20TB My book duo red drives are working fine for you ? did you format them or use them in default. by default they are on RAID 0 config. is overheating making them laggy in your new Pro? your more feedback on using 20TB WD My Book Duo for Pro will be appreciated.
In my opinion , the 20TB Mybook Duo is a great product and excellent for storing vasts amount of storage, which you can locally connect to the Pro or any other media player with a USB port. The 20TB Mybook Duo comes standard as RAID 0, which offers striping of data across 2 disks, logically one disk, but offers no redundancy but utilizes maximum capacity at 20TB. RAID 1 is mirroring so data mirrored to the second disk and capacity is halved at 10TB. RAID 1 offers redundancy so you lose a disk but not your data. If you get a disk failure then the bad disk is swapped out. I did try JBOD, meaning each drive is available independent to the other, you can even name them separately. You have options to choose from that suits you mode of storage. Most importantly, the drives are relative easy to remove from the enclosure. The mybook Duo has a fan inside to dissipate the heat but my 2 x Red NAS drives are currently installed in my computer, not my Pro. I'll give them a test run within the pro on the weekend again and see how they go.

If you remove the drives from the enclosure, they are not readable either by a Zappiti or Windows. You need to connect them to your computer and initialize (GPT) them through disk management and then format them to NTFS, which I did in my case. I was then able to put data on them and into my Pro. I didn't find the WD Red NAS drives noisy in the Pro but I mean, when you're watching a movie or listening to music you're not going to hear them anyway. I did say previously that they do run hot inside the Pro. I wouldn't be so concerned if it had a quiet fan system to draw out the heat.

Last edited by pasadena; 09-18-2019 at 09:58 AM.
post #69 of 122 Old 09-18-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Ok. I tested a blu-Ray ISO, DVD ISO and a BDMV folder of an UHD Demo. I tested these on both the Mini 4K HDR and the Pro, both running v3.13 and have posted pics of the results

Sounds good, thanks very much!

post #70 of 122 Old 09-18-2019, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Audio output

For me the player is superb. The movie poster wall is surely the envy of other manufacturers!

I prefer to use the separate HDMI audio output, with HDMI video connected direct to TV. But I have a problem. When I resume after pausing a movie, for a couple of seconds, there is no sound. This does not happen if I use either the optical or coax digital. I don't think that the AVR is at fault, because my Panasonic 4k player (connected via separate HDMI to TV and AVR) does not give this problem. Has anyone experienced this?
post #71 of 122 Old 09-18-2019, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

As to bluray menus the transitions can be a little stuttery at the beginning of a backup. The seemless branching is not yet perfect. Once into the movie everything is usually fine bar the fact that subtitles are auto on for full rips which is a pain to switch off each time. Doesn't happen with MKV.

7.1 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Dune HD Solo 4K, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
post #72 of 122 Old 09-19-2019, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys,

Does the new pro work the remote like Logitech Harmony Elite?
post #73 of 122 Old 09-19-2019, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus.S View Post
Hi guys,

Does the new pro work the remote like Logitech Harmony Elite?
Yes
Klaus.S likes this.

post #74 of 122 Old 09-20-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schafheide View Post
For me the player is superb. The movie poster wall is surely the envy of other manufacturers!

I prefer to use the separate HDMI audio output, with HDMI video connected direct to TV. But I have a problem. When I resume after pausing a movie, for a couple of seconds, there is no sound. This does not happen if I use either the optical or coax digital. I don't think that the AVR is at fault, because my Panasonic 4k player (connected via separate HDMI to TV and AVR) does not give this problem. Has anyone experienced this?

Answer from Support -
Hello sir, When you connect both HDMI output , we have the same effect in our showroom,
I asked my engineer about it and they tell me it's due to HDCP and the time to synchronize. I'm sorry for that but it's not a problem with your device , as long as you use the 2 outputs you will have a slight delay.
Thank you,
RT
post #75 of 122 Old 09-20-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
that was a fast response..

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #76 of 122 Old 09-28-2019, 09:19 AM

HDMI audio issue

I have got the Pro 4K a couple of days ago and have been comparing it with my Oppo 203. So far I am satisfied with the sound and picture quality, it is at least as good as the Oppo.

But I have a question about the HDMI audio setting. The player is connected with different HDMI cables to the projector and to the Anthem D2V processor separately.

I use the Oppo in Bitstream mode so my processor does the decoding which I prefer. With the Zappiti if I set the HDMI audio out format to LPCM it works in multi channel mode with the high resolution tracks, like DTS-HD MA.

However in Auto or Raw mode I don't get sound.

I think the Raw mode is the Bitstream but that does not work for me with high res tracks, only with standard DTS or LPCM tracks.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue, or does the HDMI Raw work for others?

post #77 of 122 Old 09-28-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I have got the Pro 4K a couple of days ago and have been comparing it with my Oppo 203. So far I am satisfied with the sound and picture quality, it is at least as good as the Oppo.

But I have a question about the HDMI audio setting. The player is connected with different HDMI cables to the projector and to the Anthem D2V processor separately.

I use the Oppo in Bitstream mode so my processor does the decoding which I prefer. With the Zappiti if I set the HDMI audio out format to LPCM it works in multi channel mode with the high resolution tracks, like DTS-HD MA.

However in Auto or Raw mode I don't get sound.

I think the Raw mode is the Bitstream but that does not work for me with high res tracks, only with standard DTS or LPCM tracks.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue, or does the HDMI Raw work for others?
kzsolt

HDMI Auto works fine for me, although as noted in my earlier post, there is a slight delay when resuming after a pause.
post #78 of 122 Old 09-28-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
kzsolt

HDMI Auto works fine for me, although as noted in my earlier post, there is a slight delay when resuming after a pause.

Thanks for the answer...so in Auto mode do you get proper bitstream audio if your AVR can decode that particular format, like DTS-HD MA? And do you get the same if you change it to Raw?

post #79 of 122 Old 09-29-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the answer...so in Auto mode do you get proper bitstream audio if your AVR can decode that particular format, like DTS-HD MA? And do you get the same if you change it to Raw?
I only use Auto.
If you use Optical or Digital Coax you have to use RAW.
Either way I get the correct format showing on my AVR.
post #80 of 122 Old 09-29-2019, 02:20 PM

New player

I wonder how many of these they will sell?

http://store.zappiti.com/en/lecteurs...a-edition.html
post #81 of 122 Old 09-29-2019, 11:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1217

Reminds me of those "upgraded" Oppo's, the problem is Zappiti is doing this on their own...not by some "modder" .

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #82 of 122 Old 09-30-2019, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
I wonder how many of these they will sell?

http://store.zappiti.com/en/lecteurs...a-edition.html
Makes me think the Pro is a steal...
post #83 of 122 Old 09-30-2019, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Reminds me of those "upgraded" Oppo's, the problem is Zappiti is doing this on their own...not by some "modder" .
As far as I can tell Audiocom does the modding, not Zappiti themselves. The company did some modding on Oppo as well.
post #84 of 122 Old 10-01-2019, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is there a firmware higher then 3.13 yet?
post #85 of 122 Old 10-04-2019, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamelover5122 View Post
is there a firmware higher then 3.13 yet?
Sadly, none. Hopefully we get the latest version before christmas.
post #86 of 122 Old 10-12-2019, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi, I have a couple of questions if you have a minute or two.

i am currently using an oppo 203 for my media player, however recently I am finding it is producing audio cut outs on MKV files, so I am thinking of adding the Zappiti to my system.

Does it support HDR10+ mkv files?

Secondly how does it compared picture and sound wise to my oppo, I have tried a nvidia shield but found it clearly lacking when comparing to the oppo.
post #87 of 122 Old 10-12-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 433
I have an Oppo 203 as well that I had special firmware on to play network ISO. I'm getting back into converting content to MKV though, which has me seriously considering a Zappiti. I welcome more feedback on folks that owned both the Oppo and Zappiti and your comparisons in terms of picture quality.

The Oppo has a longstanding issue with Dolby codecs in an MKV stuttering via network play. This is most commonly just Disney discs with Atmos.

Now that my JVC has DTM I'm really considering a Zappiti instead of the Oppo. The UI is certainly nicer for navigating and selecting content. I would not want a Shield. My other option is to just stick to my Apple TV and Infuse (but I lose bitstream Atmos/DTS:X in doing that).

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
post #88 of 122 Old 10-12-2019, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

I had an Oppo 203 but now Cambridge Audio CXUHD. I’ve got a couple of Zappiti players and PQ is roughly the same. Nothing stands out as obviously better or worse amongst those in real world viewing.

Zappiti has the media centre but the Blu-ray players have HDR10+ and DV. If menus are important Zappiti is not great in that respect.

post #89 of 122 Old 10-12-2019, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 8
What platform/OS for these boxes use? Is it android? Do you have access to other apps?
post #90 of 122 Old 10-12-2019, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Zappiti is Android. There are other apps but I’ve never bothered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page