DUNE HD ULTRA 4K or Zidoo X20 Pro? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lasalle

post #1 of 9 Old 06-15-2019, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DUNE HD ULTRA 4K or Zidoo X20 Pro?

Hi there. My needs are primarly 1080P Bluray full quality thats about 35-50Gigs per movie. I have a LOT of movies in 1080P HD and some in SD Dvd format. And im getting 4K Ultra HD soon. I REALLY need full Blu-Ray movie Menu, and as good a 4K full Blu ray playback as possible. I have a Dune HD D1 right now it plays my blu-ray with menu really good, but its aged and is old now. So now I need something like a newer Dune box or something similar. So i research here and find that either Zidoo X20 pro or Dune HD Ultra 4K is top of the pop of the stream-boxes right now.
I stream from my Nas 100 megabit stream link and have 200 mbit Internet both cabled and wifi, so i have good speeds.

Just want to ask, which is the better box overall the Zidoo X20 Pro or Dune HD Ultra 4K? Price isnt a problem. I get it they are very similar with Android apps, and movie database software, 4K playback, Blu Ray rips with full menu, output all HD surroundsound formats and so on. Then there is support and so on. Which one suits me better right now of the 2 boxes? I tried to compare them but its not very easy to do a 1:1 comparison. Different hardware but they promise both to do EVERYTHING one needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-15-2019, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

post #3 of 9 Old 06-15-2019, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I wouldn’t bother with either and have had players from both brands in the last two years. Look to Zappiti, it has the best media centre of the three and playback is reliable. Menus are a bit of a hit and miss affair on the Zap but that’s true of the Zidoo as well.

7.2 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Intel NUC6CAYH, Sony X700, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome, LG OLED (E6V)
In both Setups "Virgin Tivo V6, Zappiti 4K HDR, FireTV Stick 4K, Harmony Elite"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-15-2019, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post
I wouldn’t bother with either and have had players from both brands in the last two years. Look to Zappiti, it has the best media centre of the three and playback is reliable. Menus are a bit of a hit and miss affair on the Zap but that’s true of the Zidoo as well.
Ok. Thats an answer I didnt expect. I have heard and read about the Zappiti 4K but thought its just a rebranded Dune HD(whatever model) and with Zappitis own software layer and apps on it.
Have you compared all 3 models together? Picture quality is almost the same? No streambox is perfect I know that, but you really prefer the Zappiti over the 2 others? Unfortunately I cant try all 3 or else I would def do that and compare it on my audio and video system I have. Just a LG Oled 55" B8 and a Pioneer 7.1 Surround (No 4K maybe Ill upgrade it too), and a Nas that has my media files.

But I have to buy it on the net from amazon(and whoever has Zappiti), and its from abroad so its not going to be easy to return it. Rather just be sure and stick with one model, rather than test all 3 and return them.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-15-2019, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Essentially they are all based on the same chipset from Realtek, 1295/1296. Picture quality, and weaknesses such as no support for forced subs in MKV, is similar.

I had the Dune when it first came out and got rid of it in a week. Judging from forums it has moved on somewhat but still numerous issues. From Zidoo I’ve had the Z10 and Z9S which are essentially the same innards as what you are considering. Again multiple issues.

The Zappiti is in fact manufactured by Zidoo, who is the OEM. But the added software is superior. Media centre wise Zappiti has it by a mile from Dune and is ahead of Zidoo. I’m not sure who clips together Dune but it could well be Zidoo as well. Zappiti initially did the software for Dune but branched out into their own company years ago.

As it stands for me the Zappiti is least bad overall with a genuinely impressive media centre solution. MyCollection from Dune is highly limited and the HomeTheater app from Zidoo mighty frustrating, requiring much initial remedial work if you’ve got a big collection.

7.2 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Intel NUC6CAYH, Sony X700, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
post #6 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanx sutton8. I will def look more into the Zappiti now, but its pretty new and not much review and such with the new Zappiti 4K Pro model.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbypiratesx1 View Post
Thanx sutton8. I will def look more into the Zappiti now, but its pretty new and not much review and such with the new Zappiti 4K Pro model.
The latest model seems a bit overpriced for what it is unless you buy into the improved power supply. The One SE and Duo would seem to offer better value, dependent upon your needs for storage or second HDMI out.

post #8 of 9 Old 06-17-2019, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 51
For 1080p playback (no 4K at all) i would still prefer the previous gen Dune Solo 4K unit.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-17-2019, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbypiratesx1 View Post
Hi there. My needs are primarly 1080P Bluray full quality thats about 35-50Gigs per movie. I have a LOT of movies in 1080P HD and some in SD Dvd format. And im getting 4K Ultra HD soon. I REALLY need full Blu-Ray movie Menu, and as good a 4K full Blu ray playback as possible. I have a Dune HD D1 right now it plays my blu-ray with menu really good, but its aged and is old now. So now I need something like a newer Dune box or something similar. So i research here and find that either Zidoo X20 pro or Dune HD Ultra 4K is top of the pop of the stream-boxes right now.
I stream from my Nas 100 megabit stream link and have 200 mbit Internet both cabled and wifi, so i have good speeds.

Just want to ask, which is the better box overall the Zidoo X20 Pro or Dune HD Ultra 4K? Price isnt a problem. I get it they are very similar with Android apps, and movie database software, 4K playback, Blu Ray rips with full menu, output all HD surroundsound formats and so on. Then there is support and so on. Which one suits me better right now of the 2 boxes? I tried to compare them but its not very easy to do a 1:1 comparison. Different hardware but they promise both to do EVERYTHING one needs.
I have a Dune Duo 4K and a Zidoo X20 Pro, I've also used the Zappiti 4K in my system. My priorities are PQ and AQ playing Blu-ray, 3D, and UHD mostly BDMV and ISO rips. My collection is over 3000 movies (some are duplicates between formats). None of these players are bullet proof , but I like the Zidoo X20 Pro the best. It gives a very clean video signal to my Lumagen and a very good separate audio signal to my Trinnov. I never get dropped frames or banding, I'll get an occasional couple second freeze on a seemless branch but usually if I turn the unit on and off between uses that does not occur.
HT 2.0 is harder to set up than Dune's my collection, but once you get the hang of rematching and are careful on your naming conventions, its not too bad.
Zidoo seems to be very good at releasing software updates, that's a very import aspect for these players. It was a primary factor for not staying with Dune
on their UHD products.
mikela and vadergr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page