Streaming 5.1 sound, problem and recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet
  • 1 Post By JChin

post #1 of 5 Old 06-15-2019, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Streaming 5.1 sound, problem and recommendations

I have had several Roku’s and have had no complaints, until now. I recently bought my first real hometheater set up and now I’m not getting 5.1 sound.

I supposedly get it in Netflix and Amazon Prime. I have the correct things selected (from what I can tell) on the Roku and in Netflix and Prime. Yet, just stereo sound.

Details. I’m new to all this, so maybe I’m doing something dumb. I do know the 5.1 works, because my UHD player produces it.

If it matters to the answer, I have airmotiv T1s and C2 in front and Ascend 170s in the rear. That probably doesn’t matter.

What probably does matter: I have an Onkyo 686 and I have the Roku hooked up to it’s “Steaming Box” port. It plays good video and sound this way, but just stereo sound.

My Roku is a Roku 4. It supposedly can produce 5.1 sound. Doing some research, I see that Netflix and Prime only produce a certain type of 5.1 sound. I’ve selected the settings in Roku that were recommended, with no luck.

So, any clue what I’m doing wrong?

Also, if I’m out of luck with my current Roku, I’ll scrap it if I have to. What is the best streaming device I can get? I have 4K subscriptions, so I want that and the best sound I can get.

Thanks all for the advice. This forum has been great.

Last edited by wnydel2; 06-15-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-15-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 2818
The receiver needs to see a Dolby Digital Plus signal coming over the HDMI. Roku needs to pass that thru it doesn't decode it. Check the audio settings on the Roku look for HDMI and scroll down to Dolby Digital Plus. See if that works.
wnydel2 likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #3 of 5 Old 06-15-2019, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

I tried the above and that didn’t work. I tried every Roku sound option too, including auto detect.

Another thing I might try. If i connect the Roku directly to an HDMI port on the TV, will that pass the sound from the TV, through the receiver to the speakers, or doesn’t it work that way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-16-2019, 01:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnydel2 View Post
I have an Onkyo 686 and I have the Roku hooked up to it’s “Steaming Box” port. It plays good video and sound this way, but just stereo sound.

My Roku is a Roku 4. It supposedly can produce 5.1 sound. Doing some research, I see that Netflix and Prime only produce a certain type of 5.1 sound. I’ve selected the settings in Roku that were recommended, with no luck.

So, any clue what I’m doing wrong?
Hi wnydel2, if Roku Volume Mode settings is enabled, this may be what's causing the issue. During Netflix or Prime playback, press the Option or * key on the remote. Left side of screen will display a sidebar panel...scroll down to Volume Mode and make sure this is set to "Off". Then check Audio Mode is set to Auto (Dolby D+, DTS) by going to Settings > Audio > Audio mode before playing content again.
If still getting stereo sound after these settings, then reboot the Roku (Settings > System > System Restart).
wnydel2 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-16-2019, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

I tried all the above. No luck. I think I’m at a point where I’m either buying the newest Roku, or looking at other options.

From what I gather Apple TV is highly regarded, best option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page