Better Sounding Alternative to Sonos Connect - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-19-2019, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Better Sounding Alternative to Sonos Connect

Hey - I am just starting to get back into audio, and have not paid much attention to the products that are out there now.

I currently have my CD library ripped in Flac to a networked hard drive. I have been using a Sonos Connect to stream my music, but have been reading several reviews that the Connect does not offer that great of sound quality.

What I am looking for is a higher-end alternative to the Connect..... but what I am finding is largely pre-amps with streaming built in. Does anyone make a device that offers similar features to the Connect, but with a focus on better sound?

Right now I am running my system through a Marantz 7011 AV receiver, but will sometime in the near future be upgrading to a separate Pre-pro.

Thanks,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-19-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtremble View Post
Hey - I am just starting to get back into audio, and have not paid much attention to the products that are out there now.

I currently have my CD library ripped in Flac to a networked hard drive. I have been using a Sonos Connect to stream my music, but have been reading several reviews that the Connect does not offer that great of sound quality.

What I am looking for is a higher-end alternative to the Connect..... but what I am finding is largely pre-amps with streaming built in. Does anyone make a device that offers similar features to the Connect, but with a focus on better sound?

Right now I am running my system through a Marantz 7011 AV receiver, but will sometime in the near future be upgrading to a separate Pre-pro.

Thanks,
Jason
I don't have any hands on experience with Sonos. From an outsiders, perspective, pretty much everyone that has/owns Sonos loves Sonos, and the only downside(s) that I typically hear about Sonos are 1) Price and 2) I think they maybe didn't or still don't support "HiRez" audio (24-bit depth). If your library is 16-bit 44.1 khz CDs ripped losslessly to FLAC, and you aren't looking to experiment with any 24-bit HiRez or MQA, either through purchases (from places like HDTracks, 7digital, etc) or streaming (Qobuz for 24-bit HiRez, Tidal for MQA), and you aren't trying to add new/additional locations and are balking at the price for new/additional Sonos endpoints, I'm not sure I know any reason why you'd want to upgrade...

That said: For software, I run a Roon server. It works with a lot of different/varied gear, including Sonos, but it'll also work with other end points. Bluesound gets a lot of rave reviews around here.... I have a Roon Ready OPPO UDP-203, and I take advantage of Roon's ability to go WASAPI out of my laptop and into my Schiit headphone rig... and I have a large quantity of Chromecast Audio's and Google Home's throughout the house that I use for whole-home. Roon works well with all of it... and supports 24-bit HiRez and integrates my personal FLAC library with my Qobuz streaming subscription into one interface. I like it a lot. TIFWIW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page