Dish Joey connecting to Hopper on different Lan - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-20-2019, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Dish Joey connecting to Hopper on different Lan

I am hoping someone can help me connecting my wired joey to my hopper

In the House: Router 1 connected to Switch 1 (Ip 192.168.1.xxx
Hopper Connected to Switch 1 in the house (Ip 192.168.1.xxx)

In the Motorcoach: Router 2 connected to Switch 1 (using DMZ to share the internet connection on Router 1) Ip 192.168.2.xxx
Motorcoach: Router 2 connected to switch 2
Joey connected to Switch 2 in the motor coach (Ip 192.168.2.xxx)

Clients connected to the Home router 1 (192.168.1.xxx) can ping other clients on the Coach router2 (192.168.2.xxx)
Joey gets an ip address (192.168.2.xxx) but is not linking to the Hopper on 192.168.1.xxx

Anyone know why teh Joey is not linking up with the hopper?

JOE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-20-2019, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Likely they are trying to discover each other using a protocol that cannot be routed. There are many discovery protocols and they generally cannot cross LANs.

Is there a reason you don't want to bridge the wireless in the RV and your home network?
post #3 of 4 Old 06-21-2019, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Likely they are trying to discover each other using a protocol that cannot be routed. There are many discovery protocols and they generally cannot cross LANs.

Is there a reason you don't want to bridge the wireless in the RV and your home network?
Thanks for the reply
Yes , there is a separate control4 network in the rv that must be on a separate lan. Additionally , when the rv leaves the driveway it will be connected to the internet via its cell modem and I don’t want to reconfigure the network every time it leaves the driveway. The rv also has dish with a Wally receiver , however the rv sat dish is blocked by trees.

JOE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-24-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 176
How about a secondary bridge/extender just for the Joey? Should be a minimal $20-$30 investment and allow you to keep the Joey on the house LAN and the Control4 on its own existing LAN. The Joey just won't connect once you've left the driveway (or general range of the extender).

Alternatively, you could re-purpose "Router 2" as a bridge and add another "Router 3" for the Control4 setup in the RV, ... the Control 4 setup would access the internet from "Router 2" but maintain its own LAN. The Control4 setup would be Double-NAT, but it sounds like it already is in the current configuration (at least when connected to the home internet) so it probably wouldn't be an issue.

There are a few combinations of the above that would work too (extender with 2 ethernet ports, one directly to the Joey, one to "Router 2") but I'm not sure they gain anything over the two base configurations I mentioned above.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify

Last edited by Stephen Hopkins; 06-24-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page