Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-11-2019, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Recommend me a device!

Ok, AVS is so big it can be hard to search and clear a way for information.

I have a Denon X4400h and will soon be putting ceiling speakers in for a 7.2.4 setup. I have an Epson 5040UB projector that is HDR compatible but only at 24/30Hz, it cannot do 60Hz. I have an AppleTV, and PS4.

I also have an HTPC that I use for games, that has an i5-9600k, 2080ti, DDR4-3200 Ram and SSDs.

I am content with using the AppleTV 4K to handle Netflix, Hulu, and all internet streaming stuff. I also have Infuse that I've used for my 4k library (via Plex).

Going down the Atmos path, like many, I want to passthrough audio to my receiver rather than the locked down AppleTV decoding it mysteriously and sending as LPCM. You just don't know what and if it's doing the job correctly.

Leveraging my HTPC I played around with Kodi last night and have gotten the bitstream working beautifully but it cannot tonemap the HDR to SDR. I'd much rather just stick SDR for the time being than being stuck at 24hz for all menu navigation and such.

Is there a player on the market that will simply:

-Play uhd content ripped to .mvk container and with all of the usual codecs whether it be hvec, h.265, h.264, ect.
-Bitstream the audio rather than decode and LPCM multi-channel
-Handle forced sub-titles
-Handle the tone-mapping for HDR content on an SDR display
-Have some sort of movie data scraper that functions like Plex, Kodi, Infuse, ect. Not too picky but bonus points for having trailer support.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL/Steam : ScubaSteve2365 - PC = i7-8700k, RTX 2080Ti, DDR4-3200 Ram
My VR Podcast on Youtube - VR Roundtable - Pimax, Playstation VR, Rift-S, and Quest
Theater = Epson 5040UB, Denon x4400, Klipsh RF 7.2, 4-FiCar 18" IB, HTMarket Pembrokes, Aura BassShaker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The nVidia Shield TV and install Kodi will get you covered for most (maybe all) of your top requests.

The one missing component will be the HDR to SDR on the fly... but I believe Plex will do that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 07-11-2019, 10:57 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
Ok, AVS is so big it can be hard to search and clear a way for information.

I have a Denon X4400h and will soon be putting ceiling speakers in for a 7.2.4 setup. I have an Epson 5040UB projector that is HDR compatible but only at 24/30Hz, it cannot do 60Hz. I have an AppleTV, and PS4.

I also have an HTPC that I use for games, that has an i5-9600k, 2080ti, DDR4-3200 Ram and SSDs.

I am content with using the AppleTV 4K to handle Netflix, Hulu, and all internet streaming stuff. I also have Infuse that I've used for my 4k library (via Plex).

Going down the Atmos path, like many, I want to passthrough audio to my receiver rather than the locked down AppleTV decoding it mysteriously and sending as LPCM. You just don't know what and if it's doing the job correctly.

Leveraging my HTPC I played around with Kodi last night and have gotten the bitstream working beautifully but it cannot tonemap the HDR to SDR. I'd much rather just stick SDR for the time being than being stuck at 24hz for all menu navigation and such.

Is there a player on the market that will simply:

-Play uhd content ripped to .mvk container and with all of the usual codecs whether it be hvec, h.265, h.264, ect.

-Bitstream the audio rather than decode and LPCM multi-channel

-Handle forced sub-titles

-Handle the tone-mapping for HDR content on an SDR display

-Have some sort of movie data scraper that functions like Plex, Kodi, Infuse, ect. Not too picky but bonus points for having trailer support.

4K Media Player Thread Link

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...yer-list.html#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-11-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny14o View Post
The nVidia Shield TV and install Kodi will get you covered for most (maybe all) of your top requests.

The one missing component will be the HDR to SDR on the fly... but I believe Plex will do that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'll echo this. I think running Plex Media Server on your PC and then the Plex on your Shield will do a lot of what you're looking for here... bitstream lossless audio for MKVs, etc.

And potential Bonus Points for Shield because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

... you can game on them, either using NVidia's Cloud computers or over your intranet accessing your i5-9600k locally.

There's a Steam portal, for example, that will either "take control" over your desktop remotely OR let you sign in to your steam account using NVidia's computers and "continue where you left off" with saves and progress....

And if you have an NVidia GPU in that PC you can do what they call "Gamestream" directly from the PC to the Shield without going through a storefront like Steam...

TIFWIW
post #5 of 7 Old 07-13-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Shield TV was my thought as well even before considering the gaming aspect.

The Shield TV can also act as a Plex Server, eliminating any network concerns for local playback and decreasing power consumption (PC won't need to be always-on). From there you can choose your front-end of choice... Plex Client, Kodi + Plex, MrMC, etc.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #6 of 7 Old 07-14-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I think HDR to SDR tonemapping could be tricky. I'm not sure if Kodi on the Shield can do this. You might want to look at the Vero 4K+. It should satisfy all of your requirements for streaming local content. Then you could keep the Apple TV 4K for streaming services.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 250
For tone mapping your choices are severely limited:

All sources - Lumagen Radiance Pro
Disc based sources - Panasonic UB820
Local files (ripped movies etc) - HTPC running MadVR

A new device made by the developer of MadVR called the Envy is currently being developed but not released yet. Your best bet is to check in the thread for your projector for how others are handling HDR. I paid to have my JVC calibrated and while it isn’t perfect it is significantly cheaper than a Lumagen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page