Signal Issues - HTPC to 4k BenQ Projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-18-2019, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Signal Issues - HTPC to 4k BenQ Projector

I recently purchased a refurbished Tk800 BenQ projector that showed 4 lamp hours on the bulb.

The first test I did was with an older laptop (i5-4200m) connected via HDMI and playing a 4k h.265 video file with MPC. It seemed to do ok except audio would cut out every few seconds. I tried using Plex to play the file but transcoding choked and it would take 10 seconds to play 2 seconds of video.

I have a NUC-like fanless HTPC with a i5-5350 CPU and for my 2nd test, used an "active 4k" mini DP to HDMI converter. The projector eventually finds the signal, connects at (I believe) 3840 x 2160 30FPS, and then loses signal about every 3 seconds (screen goes blank), and takes another 5 or so seconds of searching for the signal to pick up again. This is just trying to display the Win10 desktop. I tried various HDMI cables including 6 foot ones. I also tried another mini DP to HDMI adaptor, but it doesn't say 4K or active on it. Wouldn't work at all.

For my 3rd test, I connected the HTPC to HDMI2 input on the projector. It connects at 1080p resolution and has no issues whatsoever. I believe that input doesn't support 4k resolution though, because I can't change Windows to a resolution higher than 1080. 4k videos won't transcode in Plex.

My best theory right now is that the CPU is that the 5th generation Core processor doesn't support 4k, or something along those lines. What do you think?

I ordered a laptop for my sister which should arrive at the end of the month. It has a i5-8265U CPU, so the 8th gen should fully support whatever protocols the projector is expecting. It also has a discrete GeForce MX250. I'll be able to do a 4th test then, but if there's something else I'm overlooking that can get it to work with my older gear, let me know.

Finally, I want to rule out a defective projector as I only have so long to return it under warranty.

Projector: Benq TK800 - AVR: Yamaha RX-A2080 - Front Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 70 - Center: Polk Audio CS2: Surround: Polk Audio Monitor 30 - Atmos: 4x JBL SP8CII (not yet installed) - Sub: JBL SUB 550P - Nvidia Shield TV Pro

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-26-2019, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Update- My sister's laptop arrived yesterday and I got a chance to test out Netflix 4k streaming on it. No issues at all. On the BenQ menu, I went to info and it said the current resolution was 3840 x 2160 30 hz, so I think that means all is well as far as the projector functioning properly. My problems then appear to have been due to older generation Intel CPU/video...

I've been rethinking using the HTPC as the primary display device though. Instead, I might keep the HTPC only for transcoding as needed for remote Plex users, and using something else like a Firestick 4k or Shield TV as my primary output device. I'd connect it to a yet to be purchased AVR, then send the output from the AVR to my projector. Good idea?

Projector: Benq TK800 - AVR: Yamaha RX-A2080 - Front Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 70 - Center: Polk Audio CS2: Surround: Polk Audio Monitor 30 - Atmos: 4x JBL SP8CII (not yet installed) - Sub: JBL SUB 550P - Nvidia Shield TV Pro

post #3 of 5 Old 07-26-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 5711 Post(s)
Liked: 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Update- My sister's laptop arrived yesterday and I got a chance to test out Netflix 4k streaming on it. No issues at all. On the BenQ menu, I went to info and it said the current resolution was 3840 x 2160 30 hz, so I think that means all is well as far as the projector functioning properly. My problems then appear to have been due to older generation Intel CPU/video...

I've been rethinking using the HTPC as the primary display device though. Instead, I might keep the HTPC only for transcoding as needed for remote Plex users, and using something else like a Firestick 4k or Shield TV as my primary output device. I'd connect it to a yet to be purchased AVR, then send the output from the AVR to my projector. Good idea?
If you're going to be playing back 4K content on a large projector screen or even 1080p content from plex on a 4K projector, you're going to want to build a PC capable of handling upscaling and running madVR. MadVR is game changing when it comes to upscaling 1080p content to look 4k-ish and also has the best HDR dynamic tone mapping in existence right now. That's going to be any desktop that has a GTX 1660 or better.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-26-2019, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
If you're going to be playing back 4K content on a large projector screen or even 1080p content from plex on a 4K projector, you're going to want to build a PC capable of handling upscaling and running madVR. MadVR is game changing when it comes to upscaling 1080p content to look 4k-ish and also has the best HDR dynamic tone mapping in existence right now. That's going to be any desktop that has a GTX 1660 or better.
Integrated graphics are out of the question then? My current plan was to wait for the Intel Ice Lake CPU to drop this fall. It has new microarchitecture and specifically improves upon HVEC. Was hoping to avoid discrete graphics, but I don't really have a good reason for that preference. Back in the day discrete graphics wouldn't turn off, and would drain laptop batteries faster.

I'll have to look into madVR requirements for video processing.

EDIT: Just looked at MadVR requirements, and the only requirement is "GPU with full D3D9". So any GPU that supports Dx? Integrated Intel graphics counts as a "GPU", right?

Last edited by redpoint5; 07-26-2019 at 12:34 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-13-2020, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

To update this thread, I ended up buying a Shield TV Pro and use it as a Plex server. It has no problem transcoding h.265 even though the first 3 rules of h265 is to not transcode it. Plex seems to not be as reliable on the Shield as it was on my HTPC, but I've got the Shield connected to a smart outlet so I can reboot it as needed. No issues at all passing through 4k from the Shield, through my new Yamaha 9.1 AVR, to the projector. Both my HTPC and old receiver were the culprits for not handling 4k content.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page