Amazon streaming device with no ads - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-18-2019, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Amazon streaming device with no ads

Was using a 2nd gen Fire TV when ads started to appear a couple of years ago. I was able to skip through them or FF. Now I can't do that anymore. But I noticed that when using the Amazon app on my Roku 2 XS, no ads were ever shown. So now, I use the old Roku exclusively when watching Amazon streaming even though the interface is kind of clunky. But it's well worth it not having to sit through annoying ads.

Are there any other devices that don't show ads? I would like to retire the Roku with something a little newer but only if it doesn't shows ads on Amazon. Do the newer Roku's also skip ads?

Thanks.

-Shimon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-19-2019, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I've never seen any "ads" in prime video.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 07-19-2019, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
I've never seen any "ads" in prime video.
I'm talking about Amazon's ads for their own shows. They are shown before you watch any videos. At least for me on my Fire TV or Fire Stick. Not necessarily ads for products or services...but they are still ads that can't be skipped.

-Shimon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-19-2019, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimonmor View Post
I'm talking about Amazon's ads for their own shows. They are shown before you watch any videos. At least for me on my Fire TV or Fire Stick. Not necessarily ads for products or services...but they are still ads that can't be skipped.
Those are forced previews and you can't skip them. They didn't start appearing on my devices until maybe a year ago? Might be less.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-19-2019, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 455
One fast forward button push still working for me. Are you a Prime member?
post #6 of 8 Old 07-20-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm guessing the extent of that annoyance depends on the the device and its age. My Roku Ultimate, which replaced the app on my Sony TV since it was always crashing, always does it, and the pre-roll ads for Amazon content cannot be fast-forwarded through. I'm a Prime member, and have been for a very long time.

I really dislike it.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-20-2019, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalJake View Post
I'm guessing the extent of that annoyance depends on the the device and its age. My Roku Ultimate, which replaced the app on my Sony TV since it was always crashing, always does it, and the pre-roll ads for Amazon content cannot be fast-forwarded through. I'm a Prime member, and have been for a very long time.

I really dislike it.
Understand about it being an annoyance. Maybe it has to do with who made the device? I use a 4K Firestick and Inteset 422 universal remote. FF button push stops it immediately and goes to your selected video.

Or maybe it's my thank you for spending tons of money on crap I don't really need.

Last edited by MRAYB; 07-20-2019 at 11:05 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-21-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I'd be interested in a compiled list of devices and how their transport controls handle the adds (no ads, skip, no skip). I'd also think using an older device (like your Roku 2 XS), and ESPECIALLY buying an older device just for that functionality, would be a roll of the dice since they could completely stop supporting playback at any time with no recourse.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page