Streaming Device That Doesn't Upscale? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-21-2019, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Streaming Device That Doesn't Upscale?

Everything I have read about the Apple TV, Roku, and Amazon devices indicates that there is no way to definitively disable upscaling on these devices and force content to pass through in native resolution. The Amazon FireStick 4K also has no way to disable HDR and the combination of forced upscaling and HDR makes old TV Shows that were ripped from DVD look horrendous.

The Plex Android TV app is complete garbage and 100% unreliable. So, I'm looking for a streaming device that will allow me to pass the content through in its native form since the upscaling engine on my Sony TV's is far better than what those devices can do for upscaling. Is there ANYTHING out there that gives me this flexibility?

And, before anyone suggests it, manually changing the output to match the content each time I watch something isn't a viable option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-21-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Do you mean for streaming services or local content? For streaming services there's hardly anything except maybe some blu-ray players. For local content a number of devices support resolution switching like the Nvidia Shield (in certain apps like Kodi/MrMC but not the official Plex app) and the Vero 4k+.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-21-2019, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Hmm.. to me, streaming is streaming... I guess I really don’t differentiate it like that... what I need is a device that doesn’t force upscaling and will pass the content through in native format. Using apps on the TV affords me the opportunity to only upscale in the TV itself and that’s how I want it. When I had DirecTV, that box was set for native resolution output as is the UHD BD player and the TV handled all of the upscaling.

Streaming devices all seem to shove upscaling down my throat and they all suck at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page