Playing back 4k UHDs ripped to 1:1 ISO - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sledgehamma

post #1 of 11 Old 08-14-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Playing back 4k UHDs ripped to 1:1 ISO

Hey all,

So, now that DVDFab has an UHD backup option that supports preserving HDR10 and Dolby Vision in a 1:1 ISO, I was thinking of finally backing up my UHD Blurays to play off of a hard drive (like how my Bluray's are setup).

My understanding is that ripping to an ISO, as DVDFab says, will preserve perfect 1:1 audio and video (including HDR10/DV and Atmos/DTS X). However, since my computer is not hooked up to my theater setup in anyway (besides WiFi), is there a standalone player capable of playing back UHD ISO's with HDR10/DV and Atmos/DTS X support?

A couple of months ago I was recommended to look into an Android based S905x. Is this still the best route or is something like a Dune or Shield a better fit?

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-14-2019, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 360
copying UHD BDs has been available for a long time now.

If you want to playback DV UHD BDs there is very limited choice. Either buy an Oppo 203/5 (preferably with a CFW) or buy a clone of this device (M9702).
No mediaplayer will do DV dual layer (this is what is used on UHD BDs) at this point as Dolby will not license it.

Note:
There is some method to do dual layer DV to single layer DV. But this only works within mp4 container which poses signifiant disadvantages. And even then you have a limited choice, which ranges from Apple TV 4K (MrMC and Infuse support it) to builtin Mediaplayer apps from TVs.
lockdown571 likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-14-2019, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Hey all,

So, now that DVDFab has an UHD backup option that supports preserving HDR10 and Dolby Vision in a 1:1 ISO, I was thinking of finally backing up my UHD Blurays to play off of a hard drive (like how my Bluray's are setup).

My understanding is that ripping to an ISO, as DVDFab says, will preserve perfect 1:1 audio and video (including HDR10/DV and Atmos/DTS X). However, since my computer is not hooked up to my theater setup in anyway (besides WiFi), is there a standalone player capable of playing back UHD ISO's with HDR10/DV and Atmos/DTS X support?

A couple of months ago I was recommended to look into an Android based S905x. Is this still the best route or is something like a Dune or Shield a better fit?

Thanks all!
Check out the GIEC BDP-G5300.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-14-2019, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
copying UHD BDs has been available for a long time now.

If you want to playback DV UHD BDs there is very limited choice. Either buy an Oppo 203/5 (preferably with a CFW) or buy a clone of this device (M9702).
No mediaplayer will do DV dual layer (this is what is used on UHD BDs) at this point as Dolby will not license it.

Note:
There is some method to do dual layer DV to single layer DV. But this only works within mp4 container which poses signifiant disadvantages. And even then you have a limited choice, which ranges from Apple TV 4K (MrMC and Infuse support it) to builtin Mediaplayer apps from TVs.

What about media players that will playback ISO's as is (not burnt to disc, stored to a hard drive)?
post #5 of 11 Old 08-14-2019, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
What about media players that will playback ISO's as is (not burnt to disc, stored to a hard drive)?
You will definitely have more options if you don't care about DV. If you want DV though, you will need an Oppo (with custom firmware for ISO support) or a device with modified Oppo firmware. AVSForum doesn't typically allow talk about these players with modified firmware though, so you probably want to direct the question elsewhere.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-15-2019, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
You will definitely have more options if you don't care about DV. If you want DV though, you will need an Oppo (with custom firmware for ISO support) or a device with modified Oppo firmware. AVSForum doesn't typically allow talk about these players with modified firmware though, so you probably want to direct the question elsewhere.

So if I want to keep DV, I would need an Oppo (with ISO support) and then I would just hookup my HDD with the ISOs to the Oppo and get perfect playback of both audio and video?

However, if I decided to only backup my HDR10 titles at the moment (and wait for hopefully a more mainstream DV solution in the future), what are the best options for playback in that case (that will still do Atmos/DTS X as well)?

Thanks!
post #7 of 11 Old 08-15-2019, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So if I want to keep DV, I would need an Oppo (with ISO support) and then I would just hookup my HDD with the ISOs to the Oppo and get perfect playback of both audio and video?

However, if I decided to only backup my HDR10 titles at the moment (and wait for hopefully a more mainstream DV solution in the future), what are the best options for playback in that case (that will still do Atmos/DTS X as well)?

Thanks!
Yes, essentially. You can always just rip to ISO and wait until a more accessible device becomes available that can play DV. Do you need blu-ray menus? That's your next question. I personally prefer ripping everything to MKV. I then keep ISOs of my blu-rays with Dolby Vision in case a solution is released that allows DV playback (that doesn't require an Oppo player).
post #8 of 11 Old 08-15-2019, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, essentially. You can always just rip to ISO and wait until a more accessible device becomes available that can play DV. Do you need blu-ray menus? That's your next question. I personally prefer ripping everything to MKV. I then keep ISOs of my blu-rays with Dolby Vision in case a solution is released that allows DV playback (that doesn't require an Oppo player).

I don't mind MKV (no menus) at all. That's how all my Bluray backups are. Just didn't know how big of a hassle it is to make sure I get forced subs for UHD's (for Blurays I use ClownBD to demux and then see what subtitle track I need for forced, as sometimes they aren't flagged as forced, then remux with MKV GUI). How do you handle this?

So if I go the MKV route for my HDR10 titles, I'll have perfect video playback (10 bit, all that) along with Atmos/DTS X? What player/playback solution would work best in this case?
post #9 of 11 Old 08-15-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't mind MKV (no menus) at all. That's how all my Bluray backups are. Just didn't know how big of a hassle it is to make sure I get forced subs for UHD's (for Blurays I use ClownBD to demux and then see what subtitle track I need for forced, as sometimes they aren't flagged as forced, then remux with MKV GUI). How do you handle this?

So if I go the MKV route for my HDR10 titles, I'll have perfect video playback (10 bit, all that) along with Atmos/DTS X? What player/playback solution would work best in this case?
Flagging forced subs appropriately is definitely the most irritating part about ripping to MKV. This spreadsheet is helpful: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...TdThTkXEk/edit. I basically reference that and use MKVtoolnix GUI to flag the subs appropriately. A handful of discs have individually flag subs though (Avatar comes to mind), which is a bigger headache. You have to use something like txmuxer and BDsup2sub to extract the forced subs.

BUT, if you're willing to put in the effort to make MKVs, your playback experience will be smoother and you'll have more devices to choose from. If you actually have overhead speakers, then the Nvidia Shield is probably the best option (using the Plex, Emby, Kodi, or MrMC apps). The Vero 4K+ is probably another good option (haven't used it myself). I personally think the Apple TV 4K + Infuse is the best player on the market, BUT it will not bitstream Atmos (the TrueHD variety) or DTS:X. It will play in 7.1 PCM though.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-15-2019, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Flagging forced subs appropriately is definitely the most irritating part about ripping to MKV. This spreadsheet is helpful: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...TdThTkXEk/edit. I basically reference that and use MKVtoolnix GUI to flag the subs appropriately. A handful of discs have individually flag subs though (Avatar comes to mind), which is a bigger headache. You have to use something like txmuxer and BDsup2sub to extract the forced subs.

BUT, if you're willing to put in the effort to make MKVs, your playback experience will be smoother and you'll have more devices to choose from. If you actually have overhead speakers, then the Nvidia Shield is probably the best option (using the Plex, Emby, Kodi, or MrMC apps). The Vero 4K+ is probably another good option (haven't used it myself). I personally think the Apple TV 4K + Infuse is the best player on the market, BUT it will not bitstream Atmos (the TrueHD variety) or DTS:X. It will play in 7.1 PCM though.

Awesome, thanks! I do have an Atmos setup so definitely want to be able to bitstream Atmos/DTS X. I'll look into this some more, see when I want to go for it. Might wait til my shelving unit is full of UHDs (can fit about 35 more). Maybe more options will be out by then.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-15-2019, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

The Shield with Kodi can't be beat. Thread here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page