AVS Forum banner

Help with choosing NAS

697 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mirekti 
#1 ·
I would like to build a NAS that is capable of 4k streaming with Dolby Atmos to Apple TV 4k.
The idea is to use Infuse app on Apple TV, and set the audio in pass through mode. That way Dolby Atmos would be decoded by the receiver and Apple TV would be decoding the video.
What I noticed was that all $500 range NAS servers come with hardware transcoding. Do I need that at all if I want to push atmos to my receiver?
It could be easy to say that I'm a bit lost with what to buy.

Could someone help, please?

#2 · (Edited)
Infuse on the AppleTV 4K does not currently pass-thru Dolby Atmos. It decodes lossless 7.1 and can output that thru HDMI, but the Atmos metadata is lost.

It’s on their roadmap, but not delivered in the long time since Apple and Netflix added Atmos to the AppleTV 4K.

Infuse can play 4K HDR blu-ray MKV backups as-is on the AppleTV 4K without the need to transcode.

I have a synology that does hardware transcoding and it does not convert 4K UDH backups from HDR wide-colour (if playing to a pc for example) so it looks dim and colours are washed out.

Regards, Rob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.