Best 4K streaming provide+device for big screen/ HT - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Spinningbull
  • 1 Post By PlanetAVS
  • 1 Post By Osamah Khan
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-31-2019, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Best 4K streaming provide+device for big screen/ HT

I can’t rent 4K discs in my area and I have a big 10’ wide screen so want the best PQ and AQ possible through streaming. I have a 4K projector.

Which provider has the best PQ
Q/ least compression/highest nitrate between AMZ, Apple, VUDU?

What device should I get? I have a Dolby Digital 9.1 system. Would all speakers play using Dolby Atmos (since that’s what streams seem to have)?
TeslaMS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 08-31-2019, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaMS View Post
I can’t rent 4K discs in my area and I have a big 10’ wide screen so want the best PQ and AQ possible through streaming. I have a 4K projector.



Which provider has the best PQ

Q/ least compression/highest nitrate between AMZ, Apple, VUDU?



What device should I get? I have a Dolby Digital 9.1 system. Would all speakers play using Dolby Atmos (since that’s what streams seem to have)?
Right now, I'd say the appletv is the best you can get for streaming. Of course nothing is perfect, but you'll get dovi and atmos and support for a majority of the apps. I prefer vudu for renting movies, but you need another device (phone, pc) to transact.

For renting discs, check out 3d-blurayrental.com. they have 4k uhd discs in a Netflix of old style mail service.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk
Brian Hampton likes this.

video: Lg 65e6, Oppo uhd-203, Roku ultra, nVidia Shield Pro
audio: Yamaha aventage 3050, ATI AT252NC, martin logan efx 7.1
gaming: Ps4-pro, Psvr, Ps3
other: Synology d216play, Panamax m-5300pm & m-5400pm, a billion smarthome things
Spinningbull is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 08-31-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,281
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaMS View Post
I can’t rent 4K discs in my area and I have a big 10’ wide screen so want the best PQ and AQ possible through streaming. I have a 4K projector.

Which provider has the best PQ
Q/ least compression/highest nitrate between AMZ, Apple, VUDU?

What device should I get? I have a Dolby Digital 9.1 system. Would all speakers play using Dolby Atmos (since that’s what streams seem to have)?
Apple TV (formerly Itunes) and VUDU both have Dolby Vision and ATMOS support and are your best bet for streaming. You can rent or buy movie codes online from them or on the secondary market. Amazon also supports both but their app is poorly designed, and they have a lot less HDR and ATMOS content.

You need an Apple TV 4K in order to get Apple TV as your projector won't have Airplay 2. Vudu is widely available on most devices.
Brian Hampton likes this.
PlanetAVS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 09-01-2019, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks

I was also considering the 4k firestick and Roku ultra because of the ability to add Kodi.

Apple makes it very difficult.

Do you think the video or audio quality of Apple 4k is better than the rest?
TeslaMS is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 09-01-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lockdown571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,340
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaMS View Post
Thanks

I was also considering the 4k firestick and Roku ultra because of the ability to add Kodi.

Apple makes it very difficult.

Do you think the video or audio quality of Apple 4k is better than the rest?
You can use MrMC on the Apple TV 4K which is basically Kodi without add-on support. Or better yet, you can use Infuse which is the best playback software on the market IMO. The only major downside of the ATV 4K is you can’t bitstream TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X.
lockdown571 is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old 09-01-2019, 11:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Jbhur212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Akron
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaMS View Post
Thanks

I was also considering the 4k firestick and Roku ultra because of the ability to add Kodi.

Apple makes it very difficult.

Do you think the video or audio quality of Apple 4k is better than the rest?
I've been using a Roku Ultra in my 77C8 in my home theater since last May and everything that I have streamed (either Amazon or Netflix) has always looked just great with no problems. Been very happy with it but I am eagerly awaiting the appearance of the next Apple 4K unit (Macrumors has a "Don't Buy" tag on the current unit indicating a new generation may be coming) and also interested in the lower-cost Apple TV dongle similar to the Amazon Fire Stick or Google Chromecast that has also been rumored.

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
Jbhur212 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 09-01-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,281
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaMS View Post
Thanks

I was also considering the 4k firestick and Roku ultra because of the ability to add Kodi.

Apple makes it very difficult.

Do you think the video or audio quality of Apple 4k is better than the rest?
Generally speaking yes, although it varies depending on the app being used. IMO, the only significant limitation of ATV4K is it doesn't support Youtube HDR. As someone else mentioned it doesn't stream lossless audio but neither do any other devices (except Nvidia Shield for local network file streaming). Also there are no video streaming services sending lossless audio currently anyway. If Kodi is that important, I'd buy a separate cheaper device (like Firestick) for Kodi. But if you want to limit it to one device, go with Firestick or Nvidia Shield.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 09-02-2019, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Kodi sux on firetv stick.

Appletv 4K has mrmc which is working on adding atoms support as well. It’s basically Kodi without addons.

Appletv 4K would be my recommendation. It has the best picture quality. If you are an audiophile, go with nvidia shield.
TitusTroy likes this.
Osamah Khan is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 09-02-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 10,292
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4991 Post(s)
Liked: 4467
if Roku ever adds support for Dolby Vision I would give them the nod over the Apple TV 4K...but as it is now, the ATV wins by default
TitusTroy is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 09-02-2019, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,730
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2173 Post(s)
Liked: 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaMS View Post
Which provider has the best PQ
Q/ least compression/highest nitrate between AMZ, Apple, VUDU?

What device should I get? I have a Dolby Digital 9.1 system. Would all speakers play using Dolby Atmos (since that’s what streams seem to have)?
Bit rate order (on the ATV but Amazon is the same on a 4K Firestick):
iTunes/Movies Anywhere
Vudu
Netflix
almost everything else.
Amazon.

Even on a Fire device Amazon is the worst using Jack Ryan (UHD/DoVi) as a benchmark.

However there is no best device. They're all inexpensive (even the ATV4K/Shield are inexpensive components in a real home threater i.e. no HT in a box) so buy an ATV4K and a Fire device -- possibly a Shield. I really don't like the Roku interface and business model but try one of those as well. Keep what works.

Assuming you mean a 7.1.2 Atmos system when you say 9.1 -- you should note that Apple uses Atmos over PCM (Dolby MAT) and some older audio devices don't support that -- just like they don't support DoVi. It's also based on E-AC-3 audio not TrueHD.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
bodosom is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 09-03-2019, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 10,292
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4991 Post(s)
Liked: 4467
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
Bit rate order (on the ATV but Amazon is the same on a 4K Firestick):
iTunes/Movies Anywhere
Vudu
Netflix
almost everything else.
Amazon
what about the bit-rate with Amazon on anything besides an Apple TV 4K?...Amazon has always looked really good through my LG OLED built-in app
TitusTroy is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 09-03-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,730
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2173 Post(s)
Liked: 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
what about the bit-rate with Amazon on anything besides an Apple TV 4K?...Amazon has always looked really good through my LG OLED built-in app
You get the same results using an ATV4K and the Firestick 4K. I don't imagine Amazon has special streams for smart TVs but maybe. Since this thread is about HDMI attached devices that's what I focused on. I think I've checked bandwidth on my display but I'm not sure.

By the way I'm not suggesting that just because Amazon spends the least on bandwidth that the image will be perceptually worse assuming you consistently get the full rate. That depends on a number of factors which, because of human nature, are difficult to tease out. I don't detest Prime Video because of the quality, particularly since they've mostly sorted out the multi-channel audio, I detest it because it presents a terrible user experience (so-called UX) and I only watch it because it's "free".

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
bodosom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off