What devices will stream Amazon Music HD Lossless - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 154Likes

post #271 of 274 Old 05-19-2020, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
What bit rate/sampling rate can be achieved via Google Cast?

Regarding the app, I was referring more to lack of continuous play, artist or song based radio, ability to shuffle without having to create a queue first.

In theory and on the spec sheet, anything up to and including 24/96 is supposed to be supported.

In practice, I've had trouble (in terms of reliability and stability) with anything above 24/48, at least wirelessly to chromecast audios. And it's (mostly) not my local network, because 24/192 generally works-without-error wirelessly to a raspberry pi via Roon Advanced Audio Transport.

That's actually the main reason why I finally broke down and paid the $$$ for Roon. When I'm using Google Cast (which is my whole-home-audio solution, as I only have RAAT working on 2 zones and a headphone rig), Roon downsamples all 24/88.2 and 24/176.4 to 24/44.1 and all 24/96 and 24/192 to 24/48... and thus plays back without glitch or stutter to all of my CCA's.

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h w/ Marantz MM7055; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Polk Monitor 35B Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 & LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Kplisch RP-600m L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA, Pi running Ropieee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 274 Old 05-19-2020, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2443 Post(s)
Liked: 3152
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
In theory and on the spec sheet, anything up to and including 24/96 is supposed to be supported.

In practice, I've had trouble (in terms of reliability and stability) with anything above 24/48, at least wirelessly to chromecast audios. And it's (mostly) not my local network, because 24/192 generally works-without-error wirelessly to a raspberry pi via Roon Advanced Audio Transport.

That's actually the main reason why I finally broke down and paid the $$$ for Roon. When I'm using Google Cast (which is my whole-home-audio solution, as I only have RAAT working on 2 zones and a headphone rig), Roon downsamples all 24/88.2 and 24/176.4 to 24/44.1 and all 24/96 and 24/192 to 24/48... and thus plays back without glitch or stutter to all of my CCA's.
I hear great things about Roon but can't wrap my head around spending that kind of money for what it delivers.
post #273 of 274 Old 05-19-2020, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
I hear great things about Roon but can't wrap my head around spending that kind of money for what it delivers.
Yes it is pricey, but for me, the selling point was its ease of installation and a rather small learning curve. I had the trial version up and running within 15 minutes.

Then the "rabbit hole" affect takes over. What I mean by that is the "liner notes" for each album. It's gets really bad when you have Tidal or Qobuz involved.

You find out that a particular artist played on a song you're playing, then you click on said artist, and find out he or she contributed to this album or that song, it gets maddening, but in a good way.
SJHT and psuKinger like this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500

Last edited by groove93; 05-20-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 274 Old 05-19-2020, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:

I think a lot of it comes down to how complicated your intranet/internet music listening is (how many seperate listening rooms/rigs/"zones" you have, and how varied/diverse they are), how much of a *power user* you are (if you value things like parametric EQ curves rather than hard discrete steps applied blunt force to a numeric range; how much you value transparency of your entire signal chain and to see what's being delivered along the way, etc), and just how much you like to geek out over meta-data and fun bells-and-whistles.

If you got a large list of "zones" you use for whole-home-audio playback, Roon really does that *right* in a way nothing else I personally tried did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Yes it is pricey, but for me, the selling point was its ease of installation and a rather small learning curve. I had the trial version up and running within 15 minutes.

Then the "rabbit" hole affect takes over. What I mean by that is the "liner notes" for each album. It's gets really bad when you have Tidal or Qobuz involved.

You find out that a particular artist played on a song you're playing, then you click on said artist, and find out he or she contributed to this album or that song, it gets maddening, but in a good way.

+1 to this. The linkable clickable metadata let's you sort on CRAZY stuff. You start to find out things about yourself and your listening habits like how might have a favorite MASTERING engineer (for example: I like what Ted Jensen does. When he's involved, records sound better, to me at least, than when he's not. I generally prefer the albums he did for Disturbed and Norah Jones alike, more than the albums he didn't... fascinating, IMO).
groove93 likes this.

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h w/ Marantz MM7055; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Polk Monitor 35B Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 & LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Kplisch RP-600m L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA, Pi running Ropieee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page