What devices will stream Amazon Music HD Lossless - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 143Likes

post #211 of 234 Old 10-28-2019, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Anyway Amazon MUSIC HD has just completely failed after October 14th iOS update. After about a minute the quality drops from ‘24bit/96KHz’ to ‘Standard’ [can see this on yellow label and hear it].

This ‘Standard’ quality is much worse than even Spotify or Apple Music. It sounds compressed.

So if they don’t fix this, there is no HD, ULTRA HD, HIGH RES - it’s all mush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 234 Old 10-28-2019, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

If you have an iOS device - iPhone/iPad.
Play the track ‘Meet the Family’ from Disney Dumbo Album.
Let it play and after 1minute 32seconds click on ULTRA HD yellow label - it will have changed to STANDARD quality.
post #213 of 234 Old 11-01-2019, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I updated my Yamaha 3080 today and Musiccast now does the Amazon service with my playlists included. Sadly only CD quality I’m told, not UHD.
Soundizer17 likes this.

7.1 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Dune HD Solo 4K, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome, LG OLED E7V
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Firestick 4K, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 234 Old 11-01-2019, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Great news!

Amazon Ultra HD now plays nice with Play-Fi. Listening on Anthem AVM 60 and info shows higher resolutions.
post #215 of 234 Old 11-08-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Qobuz lowering pricing for their service to the next 100k subscribers who sign up by Jan. 31, 2020. I’m sure Amazon entering Hi-Res streaming is having some influence.
https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/music/streaming/offers
mlknez, PlanetAVS and Soundizer17 like this.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #216 of 234 Old 11-10-2019, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by davoe View Post
Great news!

Amazon Ultra HD now plays nice with Play-Fi. Listening on Anthem AVM 60 and info shows higher resolutions.
Hmmm...now I might have to try the 90 day free trial to Prime members; my MRX 720 plays nice with Play-Fi......

Anthem MRX-720,Outlaw 7500 5ch amp, B&K ST 202 amp
Oppo BDP-103, Sony XBR-65X930D, Rotel RP-855, Phillips BDP-7501
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
post #217 of 234 Old 11-16-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Has anyone figured out how to show the HD music quality while using Amazon Music channel on a ATV 4K? I could have sworn that it initially showed it (like Amazon Music on a Fire TV Cube does) but, it seems to have vanished.

It would look something like this:

HD Audio
Track Quality: 16 bit / 44.1 kHz
Device Capability: 24 bit / 44.1 kHz
Currently playing at: 16 bit / 44.1 kHz
post #218 of 234 Old 11-17-2019, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Because of the limited device compatibility with Amazon Music HD, I've also been trailing the Qobuz Studio Premier service for 16/44.1 and Hi-Res FLAC.

The native app works well with Chromecast Audio for 16/44.1 and Hi-Res FLAC up to 24/96.

It also works with the BubbleUPnP app and rendering devices. I've tested with a Sony BDP as the renderer and will also test with Heos, which I expect to work.

Liking Qobuz so far...much better than Amazon Music HD from a device compatibility standpoint.
psuKinger likes this.

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Marantz AV7704/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Audiosource Amp Three x 2/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Outlaw M2200 x 2/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
post #219 of 234 Old 11-18-2019, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Qobuz and the BubbleUPnP app also works with Heos as the renderer.

However, after pausing a track for maybe 30 minutes, I was not able to resume the stream and the connection to Heos was dropped. Not sure if this is normal and is a server time-out thing.

The good thing is that Qobuz with the BubbleUPnP app with Heos play and display the proper FLAC bit depth and sampling rate of the native Qobuz track. Your personal Qobuz library is also available within the BubbleUPnP app.

Very smart of Qobuz to allow UPnP rendering to work with their service, as it opens up almost limitless playback device options.
psuKinger likes this.

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Marantz AV7704/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Audiosource Amp Three x 2/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Outlaw M2200 x 2/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
post #220 of 234 Old 11-21-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Unhealthy obsession

This obsession with getting past CD red book for audio is bonkers.
Most recordings are CD or lower quality from all the streaming services.
The remaining Ultra HD (as Amazon calls it) recordings are limited.
CD sounds great and for me, I am happy with it.
If you can hear past CD quality you are either a bat or a super human.
I think all this obsession about getting past CD is bad for everyone and reminds me of the insanity of looking for more megapixels in photography. The resolution of an image or recording is not everything and may be the least important thing you may want in stereo gear. A really great DAC used for 320 Ogg Vorbis (Spotify) or 256 AAC (Apple, others) will sound pretty good. The engineering of the recording is also very important. Junk in is junk out even when it is a high-res file. Last but not least is performance and the care and expertise of the musicians. Let's move on from the singular obsession of High-Res/Ultra HD as “The” obsessive measure and focus on viability and vitality of recordings and the streaming services ability to not mess it up too much in the process.
psuKinger and natchie like this.
post #221 of 234 Old 11-21-2019, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointthinker View Post
I think all this obsession about getting past CD is bad for everyone and reminds me of the insanity of looking for more megapixels in photography. The resolution of an image or recording is not everything and may be the least important thing you may want in stereo gear. A really great DAC used for 320 Ogg Vorbis (Spotify) or 256 AAC (Apple, others) will sound pretty good. The engineering of the recording is also very important. Junk in is junk out even when it is a high-res file. Last but not least is performance and the care and expertise of the musicians. Let's move on from the singular obsession of High-Res/Ultra HD as “The” obsessive measure and focus on viability and vitality of recordings and the streaming services ability to not mess it up too much in the process.

I totally agree. Except most streaming services don't even give 'red book' (.wav) audio quality. That's all I want - to listen to streamed music at the same quality as CD's that play using a laser disk player.
dwaleke and pointthinker like this.
post #222 of 234 Old 11-21-2019, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
This obsession with getting past CD red book for audio is bonkers

I appreciate that you have different priorities and yes new lossy compression algorithms can sound fine on a good DAC. However...

This is the AV(Science) Forum. I'm not interested in maintaining the status quo or things that are good enough. Digital bandwidth is increasing rapidly and there is no reason not to use it to stream studio master quality audio.

It is unfortunate that Amazon is in such a mess with their devices. If they could stream lossless 24-96 to Chromecast Audio I would have signed up already, or alternatively they should have a <$100 device with digital output that is compatible with their own streaming service.
post #223 of 234 Old 11-21-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Not only do I want beyond CD quality, I want multi-channel!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #224 of 234 Old 11-21-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1382
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post
Not only do I want beyond CD quality, I want multi-channel!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Minimally 24/48 with support for quad, 5.1, and Dolby Atmos for Amazon Music HD with a FTV Stick 4K.
davcole and MegaFlop like this.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #225 of 234 Old 11-21-2019, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Onkyo Music Control App

Quote:
Originally Posted by davoe View Post
Great news!

Has anyone with the HD service tried playing Amazon Music via the Onkyo Music Control App with one of their compatible receivers? I understand it uses Play-Fi.
If so did you get UHD audio?
Onkyo is listed as one of their "Preferred Brands" and it implies they do UHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post
I may have to bite the bullet and get one. I'm actually very reluctant to have anything Alexa (or Siri or OK Google or Cortana) related in my home. I hate the idea of the microphone always being on. If they had a FireTV 4K stick that didn't have Alexa, I'd pick it up immediately.
For you Luddites out there:
As @kokishin mentioned the Fire sticks (not cubes) are not always listening devices, they have a button which enables Alexa while the button is being pushed.
If you're pretty sure it's still listening and you don't like that you can always pop open the remote and cut the wire to the mic.
post #226 of 234 Old 11-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I listen to Movie Soundtracks. They sound ALLOT better on both TIDAL HIFI and Amazon Music HD compared to my AIFF LOSSLESS RIPPED CDS.
post #227 of 234 Old 11-23-2019, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Yamaha 779 & Amazon with Music Cast?

For those with Yamaha, I need help...I have RX V779. I already connected FireStick to my HDMI input and added FireCube to prevent misplaced remotes. Anyway, I downloaded Music Cast to my Samsung phone S8. Finally connected to my WiFi but am unable to "cast" my Amazon songs to my AVR...I can cast different files of songs downloaded on the phone, but not the Amazon My Music...
TIA if you can offer suggestion.
post #228 of 234 Old 11-25-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natchie View Post
For those with Yamaha, I need help...I have RX V779. I already connected FireStick to my HDMI input and added FireCube to prevent misplaced remotes. Anyway, I downloaded Music Cast to my Samsung phone S8. Finally connected to my WiFi but am unable to "cast" my Amazon songs to my AVR...I can cast different files of songs downloaded on the phone, but not the Amazon My Music...
TIA if you can offer suggestion.
I'm trying to unpack this, I need more information.

You have both a Fire Stick and Fire Cube connected to the same system? You know the cube is effectively a 4K stick and a Echo combined together?

I'm assuming you want to play music through your AVR?

Why did you get the MusicCast app? Why not use the Amazon Music app? The Amazon Music app can cast to any Amazon device and Chromecast devices, no third party app needed.
You can also use the Amazon Music app on the Fire TV devices themselves.
[EDIT] Also the Fire TV device/devices is/are linked to your Amazon account?
natchie likes this.

Last edited by NTTD; 11-25-2019 at 04:00 PM.
post #229 of 234 Old 11-26-2019, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTTD View Post
I'm trying to unpack this, I need more information.

You have both a Fire Stick and Fire Cube connected to the same system? You know the cube is effectively a 4K stick and a Echo combined together?

I'm assuming you want to play music through your AVR?

Why did you get the MusicCast app? Why not use the Amazon Music app? The Amazon Music app can cast to any Amazon device and Chromecast devices, no third party app needed.
You can also use the Amazon Music app on the Fire TV devices themselves.
[EDIT] Also the Fire TV device/devices is/are linked to your Amazon account?
Hi NTTD, thanks for trying to help. I removed all the firesticks and stayed with FireCube connected to my Yamaha RX V779. Overall I am pleased. I guess I was trying to determine if I can get a higher quality music by using the MusicCast app, but if it's not worth it, I can just stay with the Amazon Music for now. I am more interested in learning how to improve the device output. If not possible, that's fine.
post #230 of 234 Old 11-26-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natchie View Post
Hi NTTD, thanks for trying to help. I removed all the firesticks and stayed with FireCube connected to my Yamaha RX V779. Overall I am pleased. I guess I was trying to determine if I can get a higher quality music by using the MusicCast app, but if it's not worth it, I can just stay with the Amazon Music for now. I am more interested in learning how to improve the device output. If not possible, that's fine.
No worries, from your description I just didn't understand you exact setup nor what exactly you wanted to do.

I can't help you too much with the Yamaha thing but I was trying to give you assistance with the Fire devices.

If the MusicCast app is anything like the Onkyo app my tuner uses, it can stream music (including from Amazon) directly to the tuner via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

However what I'm pretty sure it won't do is "cast" to the Fire devices
post #231 of 234 Old 11-30-2019, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 57
This all seems clear as mud

I have a Yamaha RV-A3070 which does not seem to support Play-Fi.

The app on the Shield does not appear to do Ultra HD. The PS4 app also does not do Ultra HD.

So what Fire TV product do I need to get lossless audio? I have a Marantz in our bedroom and I really want it to work like it does via HEOS but that isn't going to happen from what I see.

I've reserved myself to just getting a FireTV device in the short term but I see some support it, some don't. Amazon themselves is even very clear.
post #232 of 234 Old 12-01-2019, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Unless I’m missing something, still the only way to listen to their Atmos or 3D songs so far is if you have Amazon’s single speaker that they are marketing as an Atmos speaker. Which is disappointing since if it’s as good as it could be on a true Atmos system like a lot of us here have we would likely extend our free trials and maybe dump our current streaming option. But if their only using it to sell their speaker then no thanks. Too bad as it could be something but unfortunately I just can’t seem to tell. So far not impressed - I’ll keep Tidal based on how Amazon is handling this.

LG OLED65E6P | Oppo UDP-203 | Denon X4300H 7.2.4 | Emotiva XPA-3 | Apple TV 4K | DirecTV Now
Front L&R Paradigm Monitor 9 | Center Paradigm CC 290 | Side Surrounds, Rear Surrounds, 4 Dolby Atmos Heights - all Definitive ProMonitor 800's
Subwoofers SVS PB-2000 X2
post #233 of 234 Old 12-02-2019, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 21
this is so much like trying to watch HDR movies with Amazon.

Almost EVERY other streaming service lets you simply pick a movie, then offers you the video/audio quality choices. Amazon offers a listing for standard resolution and UHD. The UHD is very hard to find and it NEVER states if it is in HDR or not. Plus, the UHD listings are few and far between. Totally worthless.

Judging by the comments, the UHD music choices are very limited and you cannot even appreciate them with the preferred devices (echo speakers). ZERO compatibility with Android kills over half the market, but the poor dopes won't even know it and will be loving the placebo effect and praise the marketing hype....

It is enough to make me want to move to Mars and start over with a new civilization.
psuKinger and pappaduke like this.

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
TI 85 Calculator with Snake
post #234 of 234 Old 12-02-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Infancy to toddler

The streaming world has moved from infancy to toddler. Yeah it’s up on it’s feet, but still stumbling around and falling from time to time. That goes for both music and video. Just my opinion.
psuKinger likes this.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page