What devices will stream Amazon Music HD Lossless - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 151Likes

post #241 of 256 Old 12-10-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryewhiskey View Post
No, you're right. I signed up for the free trial and that's what I'm getting via my iPhone. Given my devices, the only option I'm aware of is streaming to my AVR via AirPlay.

I downloaded the MusicCast app but I'm not sure how to use it with a receiver. It seems to be more for connecting to wireless speakers. I searched the Yamaha website again and it looks like the TSR-7790/RX-V779 is not among the receivers with planned support for Amazon Music, HD or otherwise. It's crazy that a sophisticated four-year old receiver is now discontinued and inching toward obsolescence.
Yeah AVR's don't have longevity. If you are really interested in streaming, look into Bluesound or something similar.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 256 Old 12-10-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
Quote:
No, you're right. I signed up for the free trial and that's what I'm getting via my iPhone. Given my devices, the only option I'm aware of is streaming to my AVR via AirPlay.

I downloaded the MusicCast app but I'm not sure how to use it with a receiver. It seems to be more for connecting to wireless speakers. I searched the Yamaha website again and it looks like the TSR-7790/RX-V779 is not among the receivers with planned support for Amazon Music, HD or otherwise. It's crazy that a sophisticated four-year old receiver is now discontinued and inching toward obsolescence.
You'll need to put some effort into learning how Music Cast works.
post #243 of 256 Old 12-10-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 305
According to the Amazon FAQ linked to on the first page of this thread, no Fire device will get better than HD (CD quality).

And my experimentation with my year-old 4K Fire TV shows that to get CD quality, you have to go into the Fire's basic setup and turn off surround decoding by setting it to Stereo, which will get you PCM. Otherwise, it outputs what they call "SD" - lossy compression, probably by using some flavor of Dolby Digital.

What I'm going to do is set up a PC in my theater, set it to output its sound over HDMI to my AVR, and run the Music Unlimited HD desktop app. At least on my laptop, after setting the laptop's soundcard to output 24/192, the app says that setup gets 24/192.

The only question is what will happen using the HDMI link to my AVR. It can easily handle that level of quality but who knows if it reports that back to the PC?

Phil
True 4K/HDR10/3D JVC DLA-RS1000 (NX5) projector, 7.2.4 Paradigm/Boston Acoustics/Onkyo speakers, fed by Yamaha RX-A3070 w/ Denon 2307CI to power 4 overheads. Sources: Oppo UDP-203, 4K Roku Ultra, Dell Win 10 PC via HDMI for Amazon Music HD and sampled grand piano.
My water-themed landscape photography website - only 24 pix up so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 256 Old 12-10-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
According to the Amazon FAQ...

What I'm going to do is set up a PC in my if it reports that back to the PC?
The PC client outputs only via the standard windows audio stack. This will decimate and resample your audio. It will no longer be bitperfect. Until they offer option of choosing a different driver, the windows client is useless as a quality device.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #245 of 256 Old 12-11-2019, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
You'll need to put some effort into learning how Music Cast works.
I'm on the latest Yamaha 3080 which received the update to get Amazon. But its only HD quality, there is no UHD support through Music Cast which is a shame since HEOS can do UHD, albeit in a limited way.

7.1 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome, XBONE, Arcam UDP411, LG OLED E7V
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Firestick 4K, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite
post #246 of 256 Old 12-12-2019, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post
I'm on the latest Yamaha 3080 which received the update to get Amazon. But its only HD quality, there is no UHD support through Music Cast which is a shame since HEOS can do UHD, albeit in a limited way.

Based on everything I've read, I think streaming Amazon Music HD via AirPlay at 16/44 is the best I can hope for. Are there any other streaming services that offer CD quality as inexpensively as Amazon?
post #247 of 256 Old 12-13-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Based on everything I've read, I think streaming Amazon Music HD via AirPlay at 16/44 is the best I can hope for. Are there any other streaming services that offer CD quality as inexpensively as Amazon?
I received this list from a clinic on streaming at WWStereo back in August. It does not include Amazon HD or the recently discounted pricing for Qobuz. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1576291484

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #248 of 256 Old 12-15-2019, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool Got Ultra HD by using a PC instead of a Fire TV

I set up my Windows 10 theater PC today. All I needed to plug in to it were a keyboard, a trackball (I don't like mice), and power, ethernet, and HDMI cables.

With the HDMI cable plugged into my Yamaha AVR, it displayed nicely through my projector.

Selected my Yamaha RX-A3070 AVR as the sound device so the sound came out of the speakers connected to it (with this input set, in the AVR's settings, to "9 Channel Stereo" - kind of like a giant car stereo, with no processing other than tying all the channels on each side of the room together, since I don't like the effect of surround processing on stereo music). Right-clicked on the AVR as the audio device in Windows, went into its Properties, and set its output format to "24/192."

Then I downloaded and installed Amazon Music's Windows desktop app.

Started it up and logged in with my Amazon password. Exited and went back in and it showed "Amazon Music Unlimited HD" on the start-up screen now that it knew I was a subscriber at that level. Selected and played an Ultra HD album, and clicked on the "Ultra HD" badge next to the title of the song at the bottom of the screen.

The popup said the track was 24/96, my equipment could handle 24/192, and so it was playing the track at its full 24/96 quality. It sounded very nice.

Since it's a Windows PC, I was even able to have it simultaneously display a slideshow at my landscape photography website (Photos.PhilOlenick.com) while playing music. Try that with a FireTV or even a Denon HEOS AVR!

Of course, for critical listening I'll turn off the projector and listen in the dark. That's how I listen to 24/96 5.1 surround music played by my Oppo.

Phil
True 4K/HDR10/3D JVC DLA-RS1000 (NX5) projector, 7.2.4 Paradigm/Boston Acoustics/Onkyo speakers, fed by Yamaha RX-A3070 w/ Denon 2307CI to power 4 overheads. Sources: Oppo UDP-203, 4K Roku Ultra, Dell Win 10 PC via HDMI for Amazon Music HD and sampled grand piano.

Last edited by Philnick; 12-18-2019 at 07:15 AM.
post #249 of 256 Old 12-18-2019, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I hate to be Debbie Downer but your music is being decimated to 44.1khz then being upsampled to whatever you set the sample rate to in the control panel. It is no longer bit perfect. Until Amazon allows the client software to choose a Wasapi or ASIO driver to bypass the windows directsound drivers, that's the way it will operate.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
thehun and psuKinger like this.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #250 of 256 Old 12-18-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, Debbie, as long as it's true 44/16 I don't really care.

At nearly 70 years old, I probably can't hear much above 22Khz anyway - and the first tests done by Dr. Aix (Mark Waldrep), a longtime champion of genuine 96/24 releases from digital 96/24 recordings, who put up stereo 96/24 and down sampled 44.1/16 versions of his own live studio masters from his AIX Records catalog for folks to download and do blind A/B tests with a year or so ago, showed that no one could hear the difference. He didn't flinch from publishing that result, by the way.

He's doing another public test right now, and the comments he's getting are that it may be well nigh impossible to play anything at better than 44/16 as even high end DACs may downsample to that internally!

However, an indisputable benefit of his disks and downloads is that they're recorded and released in 5.1 surround (with stereo mixes as well), mixed from close-miked stereo pairs on each instrument, placing the musicians all around you, with no dynamic range compression or other modification. Glorious sounding, even if our playback equipment is rendering them at 44//16.
PlanetAVS likes this.

Phil

Last edited by Philnick; 12-18-2019 at 08:41 AM.
post #251 of 256 Old 12-18-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Well, Debbie, as long as it's true 44/16 I don't really care.

At nearly 70 years old, I probably can't hear much above 22Khz anyway - and the first tests done by Dr. Aix (Mark Waldrep), who put up original stereo and downsampled 44.1/16 versions of his own 96/24 live studio masters from his AIX Records catalog for folks to download and do blind A/B tests with, showed that no one could hear the difference. He's doing another run right now, and the comments he's getting are that it may be well nigh impossible to play anything at better than 44/16 as even high end DACs may downsample to that!

However, the indisputable benefit of his disks and downloads is that they're recorded and released in 5.1 surround (as well as stereo), mixed from close-miked stereo pairs on each instrument, placing the musicians all around you, with no dynamic range compression or other modification. Glorious sounding, even if our playback equipment is rendering them at 44//16.
100% agree. Lossless is the real benefit. High Res (even if it is fake Hi Res) is just icing on the cake.
dwaleke likes this.
post #252 of 256 Old 01-16-2020, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post

Heos:
Will play HD and Ultra HD tracks natively at full resolution within Heos app, but My Music is still not available. This can be confirmed by hitting Status button on your D-M AVR/AVP.

-

So I've briefed through most of this thread and also performed the above action as well. One item I am curious about is this: Playing through the Amazon Music app you can physically see Track Quality, Device Capability, and Currently Playing At. This gives you the best breakdown to exactly what you are hearing.

Moving your listening to the HEOS app, which seems to be the best way to listen to Amazon Music HD on my Marantz via streaming, your only option to see information on the quality is by hitting the status button on the AVR. But my question is this, has anyone confirmed that this is actually the quality that is being streamed (Currently Playing At) or is this just the information on the physical track quality (Track Quality). It would be great if you were able to see the same breakdown through the Amazon Music app.

Hopefully I'm making this clear enough. Side note, after listening to 6 different songs that offer different styles, genres, vocals and instruments, it's certainly tough to decipher playing the tracks through Spotify and playing the tracks through Amazon Music HD. I'm aware that some people may be able to make this determination, but to me it practically sounds the same. Based on the functionality and overall preference I have with Spotify, it would be tough for me to make the change over to Amazon Music HD. When it's that difficult for my ear to tell or where I have to be specifically listening for certain aspects of the song to maybe tell a difference (when that difference may be minute), I don't see the value. Just my 2 cents.

5.1 Setup || Marantz SR-7012 & MM-7025 | Paradigm Prestige Series - 95Fs, 55C, 15Bs | Dynamo 700W | Sony XBR-65A9G | Panasonic UB-9000
Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV | Furman Elite 15-PFi | Logitech Harmony Elite | Samsung Smart Things Hub | Amazon Alexa Integration
post #253 of 256 Old 01-16-2020, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNTee View Post
So I've briefed through most of this thread and also performed the above action as well. One item I am curious about is this: Playing through the Amazon Music app you can physically see Track Quality, Device Capability, and Currently Playing At. This gives you the best breakdown to exactly what you are hearing.

Moving your listening to the HEOS app, which seems to be the best way to listen to Amazon Music HD on my Marantz via streaming, your only option to see information on the quality is by hitting the status button on the AVR. But my question is this, has anyone confirmed that this is actually the quality that is being streamed (Currently Playing At) or is this just the information on the physical track quality (Track Quality). It would be great if you were able to see the same breakdown through the Amazon Music app.
I have no reason to believe that the status button and on-screen display (Marantz AV7704) do not display the true file format, bitrate, and sampling frequency. If I'm playing a 16/44.1 FLAC from my personal library, or a 24/96 or 16/44.1 FLAC from Qobuz (using Bubble UpNP), the Marantz Heos on-screen display matches the file format, bitrate, and sampling frequency of the stream being played.

BTW, I cancelled Amazon Music HD after the 3 month free trial because the integration with hardware was never improved during the trial period. Unless there is new info that I'm not aware of, Amazon Music HD has been an epic fail so far, in terms of integration with streaming hardware platforms.

I've been playing with Qobuz. It's a bit more geeky and requires a separate UPnP app (I use Bubble UPnP) to stream to Heos and other renderers like Blu-ray players. Its library is also lacking compared to Amazon Music HD and Spotify. I will probably drop Qobuz too. Seems like Spotify has no plans to offer a lossless tier (I would be fine with 16/44.1 FLAC and don't really care about higher bitrate and sampling frequency).

Net, for me personally, I think buying CDs that I "care" about and ripping them to FLAC, and supplementing with Spotify Premium is how I will continue to roll.

-

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Marantz AV7704/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Audiosource Amp Three x 2/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Outlaw M2200 x 2/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
post #254 of 256 Old 01-18-2020, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm happy with lossless CD quality, which is what Amazon Music HD offers through the Fire TV or Stick when they are set to Stereo, and through my phone plugged into my car stereo. For my hi-fi, their PC app, connected by HDMI, claims to be higher resolution - but even if it is also just lossless CD quality I'm happy, given the size of the library and the relatively low price.

I also buy CDs and rip them to FLAC, and buy FLACs recorded (not just released) in close-miked 5.1 96/24 by AIX Records (from their iTrax site), and I use BubbleUPnP and Twonky to play them all locally and over the net. (Locally I can play them in 5.1 through my Oppo, fed via HDMI to my AVR.)

But Amazon HD's huge library is a nice supplement even if only in CD quality.

Phil

Last edited by Philnick; 01-20-2020 at 06:52 PM.
post #255 of 256 Old 01-23-2020, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post
I may have to bite the bullet and get one. I'm actually very reluctant to have anything Alexa (or Siri or OK Google or Cortana) related in my home. I hate the idea of the microphone always being on. If they had a FireTV 4K stick that didn't have Alexa, I'd pick it up immediately.

My apologies if I'm re-hashing previously posted info since I haven't gone back to read all the previous ones.

I have the same feeling regarding financing and maintaining all the spy devices for the major corps and 'others'. LOL

I know the Bluesound Node 2i will get the job done but $500+ just to get an unmodified high res stream from Amazon HD is a bit pricey for me although I may succumb one day.

I have an old Roku streamer I attached directly to the TV and I'm using the optical TV output to feed my Benchmark DAC. I wanted to give that a try to see what happened. I still get all the songs I played re-sampled to 24/48. Right now I don't know if the TV is re-sampling or if the the ROKU is re-sampling. At least I have a stream to an external DAC if I want it to play with that.

I would like to play with an audio extractor to see what I get but I'm not quite ready to throw money at that just to see what happens.
post #256 of 256 Old 02-12-2020, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was able to dl amazon music app on my MacBook air 2011 that sits in the corner unused. I then plugged it into HDMI input of my Yamaha RX-V679 and used VNC remote app to control MacBook via iPhone displayed on LG 86" TV.

I get up to 24/192 per amazon app and Yamaha input info. I don't know if its being downsampled and upsampled in between. The receiver will not do any further sound processing on 24/192, so I'm limited to 2ch stereo.

If I set input to 24/96 I can still do 7ch stereo (again this may be corrupting the format somewhere in the loop. It seems to me that the 24 bit makes a bigger difference spatially than the sampling rate above 48. Id be happy with 24bit/48 (or even 44.1)

then again it could all be in my head

Streaming one track via airplay amazon music reports device capability of /currently playing at 24/44.1 -- yamaha reports 24/48.
streaming another via airplay, amazon says 24/192, device capability 24/44.1 - playing at 16/44.1

Its all over the place.

Last edited by jedblanks; 02-12-2020 at 06:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page