New Nvidia Shield TV Pro announced! Faster SOC, Dolby Vision, new remote! - Page 126 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2323Likes

post #3751 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 01:22 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 227
AI while using Plex is very inconsistent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I’ve been back and forth on using the experimental player and it will work temporarily and then stop. Is this a known issue? I’ve searched the thread several times with no luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
AI while using Plex is very inconsistent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I’ve been back and forth on using the experimental player and it will work temporarily and then stop. Is this a known issue? I’ve searched the thread several times with no luck.

For me the AI works consistently depending on any specific video and as Nvidia's own description of the AI processing indicates, it works best with specific videos (e.g. brighter lighting). Older grainy streams/poor transfers not so much. It has never stopped working mid video playback. I've always used the medium setting and never alter or even experiment as that seems just right to get the boost for my 4K UHD65 projector (110" screen).
post #3753 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DSammy View Post
For me the AI works consistently depending on any specific video and as Nvidia's own description of the AI processing indicates, it works best with specific videos (e.g. brighter lighting). Older grainy streams/poor transfers not so much. It has never stopped working mid video playback. I've always used the medium setting and never alter or even experiment as that seems just right to get the boost for my 4K UHD65 projector (110" screen).

I don’t think I described my issue properly. It doesn’t stop mid-movie. What happens is I will turn on a 1080p movie and it will not allow me to toggle between basic and AI, with a message at the bottom of the screen saying the content is incompatible, like its playing a 4K video. I’ve tried it on both the regular player and the experimental player. Going back-and-forth between player seems to make it work temporarily and then it will stop again. It works fine in Netflix and Amazon prime. Maybe I don’t understand exactly how AI works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3754 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
I don’t think I described my issue properly. It doesn’t stop mid-movie. What happens is I will turn on a 1080p movie and it will not allow me to toggle between basic and AI, with a message at the bottom of the screen saying the content is incompatible, like its playing a 4K video. I’ve tried it on both the regular player and the experimental player. Going back-and-forth between player seems to make it work temporarily and then it will stop again. It works fine in Netflix and Amazon prime. Maybe I don’t understand exactly how AI works.
Do you have “Resolution Switching” turned on in Plex (Settings>Advanced>Resolution Switching>On/Off)...? If it’s “On”, then AI will not work. AI only works when scaling lower resolution source material to 4K. Make sure Resolution Switching is turned off in the Plex app settings.
galonzo likes this.
post #3755 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

Plex through PlexkodiConnect in Kodi 18.6 is what I use , Never fails to play any file . Plex native app fails with some files .

TV-Sony Bravia KD-65"A1, Pioneer SC-LX901 7.2.4 ATMOS/DTS-X, Polk DSW 660*2, Polk RTi A7*2, Pol Csi A6, Polk RtiA5*2, Polk Tsi300*2, Polk TSX 220B *2, Polk OWM 3*2, ZidooZ9s, Nvidia Shield Pro-19, Zappiti-4kHDROne, Oppo UDP-203, XboxOneX, PS4, Oppo BDP-83, Darbee DVP-5000s, ZidooX10, Sony Bravia HX925 55"
post #3756 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC1963 View Post
Do you have “Resolution Switching” turned on in Plex (Settings>Advanced>Resolution Switching>On/Off)...? If it’s “On”, then AI will not work. AI only works when scaling lower resolution source material to 4K. Make sure Resolution Switching is turned off in the Plex app settings.

OK now I’m really confused. I thought that setting was to make sure a film came out at its native resolution. In other words a 1080p would be output at 1080p??

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasphoenix View Post
Plex through PlexkodiConnect in Kodi 18.6 is what I use , Never fails to play any file . Plex native app fails with some files .

I’ve tried Kodi a dozen times and I can never get it to play correctly. I’ve been through the settings hundreds of times trying to figure it out and never can get consistent playback. Maybe I need to try that again too.

I appreciate the replies!!
post #3757 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I only capitalized some words below so that my explanation is understood. No shouting was intended, sorry.

I was originally messed up with how AI worked for a while. The SOURCE video frame rate determines if AI upscaling will work automatically when it's turned on. Any video frame rate INPUT greater than 30Hz will not work. Netflix and Prime are natively less than 30Hz. I do use Hz and fps loosely.
When I started using AI I thought that I needed to turn the OUTPUT frame rate to 30Hz or less but was eventually straightened out by some kind sole in this form. Now I don't even both with frame rate switching and all it's hassles on this device. I suspect that this is why you see inconsistencies. A source device has changed the videos frame rate to say 60Hz so "naturally" the Shield AI doesn't work.
NotShorty likes this.
post #3758 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
OK now I’m really confused. I thought that setting was to make sure a film came out at its native resolution. In other words a 1080p would be output at 1080p??
It does... it forces the Shield to switch output resolution to match the source. But in doing so, it would disable the AI Upscaling feature since you’re telling it “not” to upscale the source to 4K (which is what AI Upscaling does).

Hope that makes more sense...
galonzo likes this.
post #3759 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
With all the frame rate matching options .. my projector blanks out when switching alot. It's kinda annoying. I've set my shield to auto which means it's running most of the time at 4k 60hz .. and turned off any frame rate switching in apps .. now any app that plays 1080 gets the ai upscaling and the only time my video signal cuts out is when switching between HDR and non HDR. I haven't seen any issues running 24fps content at 60hz. Any reason to try and do any resolution switching?
post #3760 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DSammy View Post
I only capitalized some words below so that my explanation is understood. No shouting was intended, sorry.

I was originally messed up with how AI worked for a while. The SOURCE video frame rate determines if AI upscaling will work automatically when it's turned on. Any video frame rate INPUT greater than 30Hz will not work. Netflix and Prime are natively less than 30Hz. I do use Hz and fps loosely.
When I started using AI I thought that I needed to turn the OUTPUT frame rate to 30Hz or less but was eventually straightened out by some kind sole in this form. Now I don't even both with frame rate switching and all it's hassles on this device. I suspect that this is why you see inconsistencies. A source device has changed the videos frame rate to say 60Hz so "naturally" the Shield AI doesn't work.
Aaaaah, I totally forgot reading about that limitation. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC1963 View Post
It does... it forces the Shield to switch output resolution to match the source. But in doing so, it would disable the AI Upscaling feature since you’re telling it “not” to upscale the source to 4K (which is what AI Upscaling does).

Hope that makes more sense...
Yes, it does.

Thanks again everyone for the very helpful replies. I was looking at this completely backwards and you guys made it very clear.
DOC1963 and 3DSammy like this.
post #3761 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fant View Post
With all the frame rate matching options .. my projector blanks out when switching alot. It's kinda annoying. I've set my shield to auto which means it's running most of the time at 4k 60hz .. and turned off any frame rate switching in apps .. now any app that plays 1080 gets the ai upscaling and the only time my video signal cuts out is when switching between HDR and non HDR. I haven't seen any issues running 24fps content at 60hz. Any reason to try and do any resolution switching?
IMHO, no... you’d lose the benefit of AI Upscaling and your annoying screen blanking would continue while the resolution resets. Other than having Plex set to match frame rate for my local content, I’m happy leaving everything else set to the display default and simply letting it do its thing...
galonzo likes this.
post #3762 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 06:37 AM

But why even let Plex change frame rate? Do you notice a difference between playing native from Plex to your display or playing 60hz to the display and letting it do the 3:2 pulldown?
post #3763 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
But why even let Plex change frame rate? Do you notice a difference between playing native from Plex to your display or playing 60hz to the display and letting it do the 3:2 pulldown?
Plex switches the frame rate as it loads the content, so it’s pretty transparent to the user. I’ve never done a critical comparison between the two, but if the option is there, I prefer to use it. If your display handles native 24f motion well (mine does), I don’t suspect there would be much of a difference. But if your display doesn’t handle 24f motion well, then you’d be better off disabling frame rate matching and letting the display perform the pulldown.

It’s a personal preference and only you can decide which works best in your particular setup...
galonzo likes this.
post #3764 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 09:18 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 9978 Post(s)
Liked: 6643
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
What is the name of the tech that lights up the buttons on the remote when you move it? Is it available for my iPhone? I have found that the phone app for the Harmony Hub works pretty nicely for device control but leaves the phone lit when you lay it down on the armrest. If I suspend the lighting I have to “Slide to unlock” in order to use it again.
Change your display setting on the phone. So the display turns off after a shorter amount of time.

Sent from my Tab A 8.0
galonzo likes this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #3765 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 09:21 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 9978 Post(s)
Liked: 6643
Quote:
The Shield AI upscaling only works with 30P and lower content.

Sent from my Tab A 8.0

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #3766 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The Shield AI upscaling only works with 30P and lower content.

Sent from my Tab A 8.0
To be more specific, the content has to be 30fps or below, and 480p or above
post #3767 of 4513 Old 05-25-2020, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 269
just ordered the 2019 Shield TV (tube). Should be checking it out soon. My first Shield, to use in my upcoming theater, since it passes through HD audio.

Shadow Theater Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3141596-shadow-theater-build.html
post #3768 of 4513 Old 05-26-2020, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
just ordered the 2019 Shield TV (tube). Should be checking it out soon. My first Shield, to use in my upcoming theater, since it passes through HD audio.
Many people highly recommend the pro instead if the tube as the tube seems to be limited in capabilities and I think some people had some reliability issues with the tube but maybe that's all been resolved now.
post #3769 of 4513 Old 05-26-2020, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1685 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Many people highly recommend the pro instead if the tube as the tube seems to be limited in capabilities and I think some people had some reliability issues with the tube but maybe that's all been resolved now.
I have no issues with the Tube. I'm using it simply for it's streaming, not gaming. I have no issues with my UHD rips in Kodi, Prime Video, YouTube, Disney+ or CBS All Access (my most used apps). I see no limitations for that sort of use. Gaming, I would likely agree, as the 64 bit support and additional RAM could be useful there.

I will acknowledge that the Tube version is lacking a USB port, so if you need to attach external storage for media playback or running Plex Server, you can't do that with the Tube. But that's the only real limitation in its abilities if gaming isn't important.
3DSammy likes this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield (2017 & 2019), a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.

Last edited by atc98092; 05-26-2020 at 06:51 AM.
post #3770 of 4513 Old 05-26-2020, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Just posted this elsewhere. Seems relevant.

The biggest reason I got the Pro is that it can also run Plex Media Server and has two USB ports. So all of my 4K content is run from an external HDD plugged directly into the Pro, and my main HTPC turned server has mostly 1080p content, which I have much more of. Since I only have that external HDD plugged in when I'm watching 4K content (or adding more content to it) that HDD should theoretically last longer since it only runs occasionally for a few hours at a time rather than 24/7 on my server. I only have one 4K tv in the house, so it's sorta pointless to host that media on my main server since it lacks the specs to transcode for all my other devices. Plus if I want to take my 4K media to a friend's house the Pro plus HDD is basically the most powerful portable media box I'm aware of and could function fully offline.

That's why the extra $50 was worth it for me. May not be relevant at all for others.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
galonzo and beerhunt like this.
post #3771 of 4513 Old 05-26-2020, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hi. Is it possible to link 2x nvidia remote controls to an nvidia shield/pro?

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
post #3772 of 4513 Old 05-26-2020, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
I don't need gaming, so the extra 1GB of RAM isn't needed. I don't need more internal storage (use a NAS, that runs Plex). Plus you can add micro SD cards if needed. Don't need USB's since I won't be running Plex server on it, already have a NAS.

So it's $50 cheaper for me for the same capabilities that I need.
post #3773 of 4513 Old 05-26-2020, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 630
There is really no need for Pro if you don't need those extras. Heck, you don't even need any Shield. An Android TV box costs half of Shield TV Tube will do most of the same thing (with exception for AI upscaling)

I have zero stability issues with my Shield TV Tube ever since I bought it about two months back (other than the Prime Video issue which affects all Shields).

Both Pro and Tube run the same exact SoC.
post #3774 of 4513 Old 05-26-2020, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked: 1561
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
I don't need gaming, so the extra 1GB of RAM isn't needed. I don't need more internal storage (use a NAS, that runs Plex). Plus you can add micro SD cards if needed. Don't need USB's since I won't be running Plex server on it, already have a NAS.

So it's $50 cheaper for me for the same capabilities that I need.

I think you made the right choice for your situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
aaronwt, NotShorty and b_scott like this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #3775 of 4513 Old 05-26-2020, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
There is really no need for Pro if you don't need those extras. Heck, you don't even need any Shield. An Android TV box costs half of Shield TV Tube will do most of the same thing (with exception for AI upscaling)

Have to disagree on that last part, pretty much every other Android box has some sort of limitation compared to the shield. Without even considering AI upscaling.
Cipher and Salty01 like this.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X3500h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Ascend HTM 200 SE -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #3776 of 4513 Old 05-26-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Have to disagree on that last part, pretty much every other Android box has some sort of limitation compared to the shield. Without even considering AI upscaling.
As to what specifically aside from DV support? Shield itself is limited as in it is the only Android TV box today that lacks HLG support.
post #3777 of 4513 Old 05-26-2020, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 802
As a 1st Gen Shield owner since 2015, I also think Brand Loyalty and performance play a big roll in this as well. I see some former 2015/17 owners are now in the 2019 forum now.

Some of us who own some TVs (specifically 2017 and lower) that run Android TV will tell you that the Shield, no matter the generation, will blow away the TV's OS when it comes to Speed and performance. I have a 2017 Sony 4k Display which runs Android TV, and although the built-in Youtube and Google Play movies allow for HDR10 to stream, I refuse to use the TV's OS when I have a much snappier and smoother experience with a 5 year old device.

The extended support of the 2015/17 Shield is another aspect to this, as many of us expect to have the same type of support with the latest generation.
aaronwt and ynnek63 like this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #3778 of 4513 Old 05-26-2020, 08:45 AM

I'm well aware that early Android TV built into the TVs are horribly slow (because TV makers are too cheap to put in a speedy processor). When I mention Android TV, I was reference to standalone Android TV boxes that's just like Shield: Nexus Players, MiBox 3, MiBox S, Jet Stream, Verizon Stream TV, TiVo Stream etc. And the upcoming Google Chromecast Ultra 2.

Last edited by Foxbat121; 05-26-2020 at 08:49 AM.
post #3779 of 4513 Old 05-26-2020, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
As to what specifically aside from DV support? Shield itself is limited as in it is the only Android TV box today that lacks HLG support.
The licensing is the main difference, 4K, HDR and Atmos from the streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime.
aaronwt and galonzo like this.

Sony KD-65X8505C • Onkyo TX-RZ840 • Q Acoustics F:2050i C:2000Ci R:2020i S:2070Si A:QI65C
Vero 4K (OSMC) • Nvidia Shield (2017) • Sony UBP-X800 • Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
post #3780 of 4513 Old 05-26-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theetjuh View Post
The licensing is the main difference, 4K, HDR and Atmos from the streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime.
Works in other Android TV boxes as well. On top that VP9 Profile 2 (required for YouTube HDR) is supported by other boxes but not Shield. In early days of AndroidTV, these smaller players are slow to license these technology and contents. But now, all the new ones are on par with Shield. Not an issue anymore. As someone posted earlier, it is probably brand royalty drives most Shield sales.

Last edited by Foxbat121; 05-26-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page