New Nvidia Shield TV Pro announced! Faster SOC, Dolby Vision, new remote! - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2337Likes

post #1801 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
The FLIRC is a receiver device that plugs into the Shield USB port and converts IR to BT.
BT is just a wireless protocol. Do not have FLIRC but have read how it works. It is pre-programed for several devices, select the device you intend to use it with then use what ever remote you like to teach the FLIRC that remote. For example, you could use a old VCR remote to teach the FLIRC to send 0x8073 0x11 (hex for Play) when the Play button is pressed on the VCR remote.

I have a Inteset IReTV USB IR Receiver ordered that I intend to use with my Shield. Already have the URC MX-980 programed as well.

Last edited by Wendell R. Breland; 12-22-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 1573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
BT is just a wireless protocol. Do not have

FLIRC but have read how it works. It is pre-programed for several devices, select the device you intend to use it with then use what ever remote you like to teach the FLIRC that remote. For example, you could use a old VCR remote to teach the FLIRC to send 0x8073 0x11 (hex for Play) when the Play button is pressed on the VCR remote.

I have a Inteset IReTV USB IR Receiver ordered that I intend to use with my Shield. Already have the URC MX-980 programed as well.

I think this must be intended for someone else. Obviously I know what a FLIRC is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #1803 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
I'm not sure what your question or complaint is then.
No question nor complaint, just a observation and comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1804 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think this must be intended for someone else. Obviously I know what a FLIRC is.
Sorry, I thought you used BT for BlueTooth. So what did you mean by BT?
post #1805 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
I thought the guy in the FLIRC board knows how to reverse engineer those codes, no?

FLIRC + Harmony works fine, but it just maps everything to the keyboard equivalent, AFAICT. The Kodi mapping works just as well as the NVidia specific one. What I'd really like is the ability to map specific Shield functions to specific keyboard keys. IE: Auto-sync, AI, etc. Anyone know how to do that?

mp
post #1806 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, I thought you used BT for BlueTooth. So what did you mean by BT?

Yes, sorry if I wasn’t clear. The 2019 Shield uses Bluetooth (BT) and the FLIRC can convert IR to BT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #1807 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatnode View Post
FLIRC + Harmony works fine, but it just maps everything to the keyboard equivalent, AFAICT. The Kodi mapping works just as well as the NVidia specific one. What I'd really like is the ability to map specific Shield functions to specific keyboard keys. IE: Auto-sync, AI, etc. Anyone know how to do that?

Right now you can only pick one of those and assign it to the Menu key.

Mike
post #1808 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
Question about Shield TV Pro:

I intend to get the new Shield Pro after the holidays -- let the credit card clear. I use a Harmony IR based remote so I'll be adding a UBS IR receiver to the Shield. So my concern is the following: the USB ports are on the back of the Shield Pro along with the rest of the ports. I intend to position the unit flat so the ports will be facing the back. If I add a Flirc, will I have to also use an extender cable to bring the Flirc out to the front of the unit, or will it be able to pick up the bounced IR signal.

If I need a cable, is there another IR receiver unit that is already on a cable extender?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1809 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, sorry if I wasn’t clear. The 2019 Shield uses Bluetooth (BT) and the FLIRC can convert IR to BT.
As stated before, Bluetooth is just a wireless (RF) protocol, here. The Shield remote is a wireless device and uses Bluetooth protocol, they could have used other protocols. The FLIRC is not converting anything to RF (Bluetooth), it is simply placing specific data on the USB data bus, the same as a mouse, keyboard, IR receiver, etc.
JFR0317 and atc98092 like this.
post #1810 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
If I need a cable, is there another IR receiver unit that is already on a cable extender?
You could use the USB IR receiver I mentioned a few post back (here). See the insets for different remotes and commands.
post #1811 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As stated before, Bluetooth is just a wireless (RF) protocol, here. The Shield remote is a wireless device and uses Bluetooth protocol, they could have used other protocols. The FLIRC is not converting anything to RF (Bluetooth), it is simply placing specific data on the USB data bus, the same as a mouse, keyboard, IR receiver, etc.

Incorrect. Both protocols are sending wireless signals and RF is not “(Bluetooth)”.

Mike
post #1812 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I intend to get the new Shield Pro after the holidays -- let the credit card clear. I use a Harmony IR based remote so I'll be adding a UBS IR receiver to the Shield. So my concern is the following: the USB ports are on the back of the Shield Pro along with the rest of the ports. I intend to position the unit flat so the ports will be facing the back. If I add a Flirc, will I have to also use an extender cable to bring the Flirc out to the front of the unit, or will it be able to pick up the bounced IR signal.

I don’t think so. Mine just picks it up even though it faces to the back. If you do run into a reception problem you can just use a short cheap USB extension cable.

Mike
post #1813 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Incorrect. Both protocols are sending wireless signals and RF is not “(Bluetooth)”.
The FLIRC is not converting IR to Bluetooth. PERIOD. There is no mention of Bluetooth on the FLIRC site that I can find. The picture shows a processor, IR receiver (incorrectly labeled IR Transmitter) and USB connection. There is no BT radio mentioned.

From BT site:

Quote:
Operating in the 2.4GHz unlicensed industrial, scientific, and medical (ISM) frequency band, Bluetooth technology supports multiple radio options that enable developers to build products meeting the unique connectivity requirements of their market.

Whether a product streams high-quality audio between a smartphone and speaker, transfers data between a tablet and medical device, or sends messages between thousands of nodes in a building automation solution, the Bluetooth Low Energy (LE) and Basic Rate/Enhanced Data Rate (BR/EDR) radios are designed to meet the unique needs of developers worldwide.
post #1814 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1685 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:

RF is an acronym for Radio Frequency, and refers to anything that is broadcast via radio waves. WiFi is RF, as is Bluetooth. They are just both protocols transmitted via RF. Technically even IR is RF, as light waves are simply an RF frequency, which happens to be visible.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield (2017 & 2019), a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #1815 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

RF in this context is Radio Frequency. It is a generalized term that includes a huge swath of the electromagnetic radiation spectrum. Bluetooth uses the 2.4 gigahertz band which IS a Radio Frequency.
RF includes all things radio. WiFi, Cellular, AM, FM (broadcast bands), TV, Radar, GPS, garage door openers, police radar, etc, etc.

A definition
" Radio frequency (RF) is a measurement representing the oscillation rate of electromagnetic radiation spectrum, or electromagnetic radio waves, from frequencies ranging from 300 GHz to as low as 9 kHz."
So, RF is not (only) Bluetooth, but Bluetooth IS a protocol that totally depends on RF.

Just curious, if you believe that Bluetooth does not use RF and cannot be labeled as using RF, what is your definition of RF?
How do you think Bluetooth transmits and receives data?

The reason I commented at all is that I was helping a friend configure a new printer. The manual actually had instructions for Bluetooth and RF setup. The poor guy was real confused until I explained that RF meant WiFi in this stupidly written chinglish manual. No need to confuse others when we can avoid it.

I am following this thread as I am close to buying a new Shield. I probably will once they iron out some of the bugs being discussed here.
post #1816 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
RF in this context is Radio Frequency. It is a generalized term that includes a huge swath of the electromagnetic radiation spectrum. Bluetooth uses the 2.4 gigahertz band which IS a Radio Frequency.
RF includes all things radio. WiFi, Cellular, AM, FM (broadcast bands), TV, Radar, GPS, garage door openers, police radar, etc, etc.

A definition
" Radio frequency (RF) is a measurement representing the oscillation rate of electromagnetic radiation spectrum, or electromagnetic radio waves, from frequencies ranging from 300 GHz to as low as 9 kHz."
So, RF is not (only) Bluetooth, but Bluetooth IS a protocol that totally depends on RF.

Just curious, if you believe that Bluetooth does not use RF and cannot be labeled as using RF, what is your definition of RF?
How do you think Bluetooth transmits and receives data?

The reason I commented at all is that I was helping a friend configure a new printer. The manual actually had instructions for Bluetooth and RF setup. The poor guy was real confused until I explained that RF meant WiFi in this stupidly written chinglish manual. No need to confuse others when we can avoid it.

I am following this thread as I am close to buying a new Shield. I probably will once they iron out some of the bugs being discussed here.
Yes it is but a FLIRC is programmed by the user to receive IR commands and convert them to a format that the Shield and other like devices can understand to execute Tod command. So just because commands (IR, IP, BT) are within the same broad wireless spectrum does not mean they are the same. They are unique.

Regarding the Shield bugs most, except the manual process for frame rate switching, have been ironed out in non public hotfixes.

Mike
post #1817 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is hoping Nvidia will add additional discrete commands (hex codes) to their database for the Shield. Below is a graphic of my first screen for a Sony UHD BD player and the Shield.

post #1818 of 4538 Old 12-22-2019, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Yes it is but a FLIRC is programmed by the user to receive IR commands and convert them to a format that the Shield and other like devices can understand to execute Tod command. So just because commands (IR, IP, BT) are within the same broad wireless spectrum does not mean they are the same. They are unique.

Regarding the Shield bugs most, except the manual process for frame rate switching, have been ironed out in non public hotfixes.
FLIRC was the topic of discussion and someone mentioned it was or did Bluetooth. It seems that it does not. It is an IR receiver. It translates IR digital to something the USB bus / OS understands.
Different protocols use different frequencies for communication with devices. With the exception of IR (in the band defined as below the visible band, below red in frequency, and not considered RF,) at this point in time, they all are RF. So though RF is not Bluetooth, as it includes so much more, Bluetooth is a protocol which depends on RF to work . It is all semantics.

In any case your comment about the BUGS mostly being ironed out, other than framerate (and I guess colorspace in many cases) motivated me to place an order for the 2019 PRO.

Thanks!
(maybe)

I have to think it will be a good replacement for the POS Stream+ in that system...
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by ppasteur; 12-22-2019 at 05:50 PM.
post #1819 of 4538 Old 12-23-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I noticed drop frames every 5-10min or so when watching Netflix it was dolby vision content (the witcher) and have not tried or yet on standard hdr.

The shield is set to 59.?? Hz and 4k dolby vision setting.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am on the standard firmware on the shield.

Have rebooted the shield but still the same.

Thanks

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo 203 (Coris) / Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
post #1820 of 4538 Old 12-23-2019, 06:09 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 9985 Post(s)
Liked: 6655
I haven't watched the Witcher but I watched 6 Underground from my SHield Pro. But I had the Shield outputting at 24hz using the auto refresh rate app. I didn't notice any issues with that Netflix Movie.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1821 of 4538 Old 12-23-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
I noticed drop frames every 5-10min or so when watching Netflix it was dolby vision content (the witcher) and have not tried or yet on standard hdr.

The shield is set to 59.?? Hz and 4k dolby vision setting.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am on the standard firmware on the shield.

Have rebooted the shield but still the same.

Thanks

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk
I've noticed this before.

You have to manually change the shield to 24hz before starting Netflix DV shows because frame rate switching doesn't always work with Dolby Vision.

Once you do this the playback will be smooth.
galonzo and a5ian300zx like this.
post #1822 of 4538 Old 12-23-2019, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

FWIW I tried both the intelsat and flirc receivers. I found that because the flirc was programmable, there were more commands available using the flirc. I used a short USB extender (Male-female) I had on hand to better position the flirc.
post #1823 of 4538 Old 12-23-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekester View Post
I found that because the flirc was programmable, there were more commands available using the flirc.
Such as?
post #1824 of 4538 Old 12-23-2019, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Such as?
Wendell, Flirc has a full keyboard set of programmable keys, various Kodi media keys, in addition to the small set of shield keys. My personal favorites are chapter forward, chapter back, and the stop key -none of which were possible on the supplied shield remote.
post #1825 of 4538 Old 12-23-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post

You have to manually change the shield to 24hz before starting Netflix DV shows because frame rate switching doesn't always work with Dolby Vision.

Should this be done while the program preview is playing in the background?
post #1826 of 4538 Old 12-23-2019, 06:52 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post

I haven't run into any issues with Netflix like this. But I did with Amazon. And ended up not using the refresh rate with the Amazon app because of it.

post #1827 of 4538 Old 12-23-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Obviously, LOL
post #1828 of 4538 Old 12-24-2019, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Anyone aware of any updates when Atmos support is going to be available for the Shield's Disney+ app?
post #1829 of 4538 Old 12-24-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Curious if the Prime app, have Dolby Vision, for their limited titles?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #1830 of 4538 Old 12-24-2019, 06:53 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post
Curious if the Prime app, have Dolby Vision, for their limited titles?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
I know Jack Ryan has Dolby Vision on the Shield.
Season 1.
stikle likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page