• 1 Post By akadennis

post #1 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Infuse Or Oppo203

hello AVS community. I'm hoping someone can help me on here. I have been using infuse for a few years now to play back my converted blu rays (.iso files) on my apple tv 4k. I am now starting to convert some of my UHD 4k Blu Rays to .iso files but infuse only plays them back as HDR10 and not Dolby Vision. I read somewhere that infuse only supports single layer dolby vision files and the UHD Blu Ray contains double layer. I also read that I should be able to play them back on my oppo but I have not been able to figure this out. I have all my .iso files on an external drive connected to an imac. I turn on file sharing and media sharing. I can see my imac on the oppo players network but for some reason it's not accepting my user name and password. I then tried to do this through my bootcamp windows partition and this time I was able to navigate to the folder where I had all my .iso files, but the folder was empty on the oppo. I went to another folder that had other formats such as .mp4 and these I was able to play back. does the oppo 203 not support .iso files? I would prefer to be able to stream through my imac and not through my bootcamp windows partition. anyway I hope this doesn't sound crazy and thank you to anyone who chimes in.

LG OLED65C9P / LG OLED65C7P / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F+SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1733 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
hello AVS community. I'm hoping someone can help me on here. I have been using infuse for a few years now to play back my converted blu rays (.iso files) on my apple tv 4k. I am now starting to convert some of my UHD 4k Blu Rays to .iso files but infuse only plays them back as HDR10 and not Dolby Vision. I read somewhere that infuse only supports single layer dolby vision files and the UHD Blu Ray contains double layer. I also read that I should be able to play them back on my oppo but I have not been able to figure this out. I have all my .iso files on an external drive connected to an imac. I turn on file sharing and media sharing. I can see my imac on the oppo players network but for some reason it's not accepting my user name and password. I then tried to do this through my bootcamp windows partition and this time I was able to navigate to the folder where I had all my .iso files, but the folder was empty on the oppo. I went to another folder that had other formats such as .mp4 and these I was able to play back. does the oppo 203 not support .iso files? I would prefer to be able to stream through my imac and not through my bootcamp windows partition. anyway I hope this doesn't sound crazy and thank you to anyone who chimes in.

I believe the Oppo can do it but only using the original files. I’ll tag @mutelight who knows how this is done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #3 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Infuse Or Oppo203

They need to be in a AVCHD folder, the full disc rip. Not an iso.
I haven’t gotten the oppo to play them over the network so I connect a hard drive to it. Works fine.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I haven’t gotten the oppo to play them over the network so I connect a hard drive to it. Works fine.
thank you. i remember doing this with blu rays. i used something called AVCHD manager and set a movie as default and it would play fine. do i need to do that in this case? or do I just create an AVCHD folder and put my full rip in the folder? and can i have more than one rip in the AVCHD folder? thanks again.

LG OLED65C9P / LG OLED65C7P / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F+SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605
post #5 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Infuse Or Oppo203

Quote:
thank you. i remember doing this with blu rays. i used something called AVCHD manager and set a movie as default and it would play fine. do i need to do that in this case? or do I just create an AVCHD folder and put my full rip in the folder? and can i have more than one rip in the AVCHD folder? thanks again.

Just make the folder and drop them in. One rip per avchd folder.
So I have a folder named for the movie and then inside of that I have the avchd folder with the movie.

No need for any additional programs or modifications.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung

Last edited by archer75; 10-19-2019 at 11:12 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
Quote:
BDMV folders for UHD titles must be inside an AVCHD folder for NAS playback on the Oppo. For attached storage you don't need to do anything, the BDMV folder will play directly.
Its similar for normal BD folder playback, for NAS playback you need the AVCHD folder. But for attached storage you can use the "BDMV Modifier" program to make them play directly.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just make the folder and drop them in. One rip per avchd folder.
So I have a folder named for the movie and then inside of that I have the avchd folder with the movie.

No need for any additional programs or modifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
BDMV folders for UHD titles must be inside an AVCHD folder for NAS playback on the Oppo. For attached storage you don't need to do anything, the BDMV folder will play directly.
Its similar for normal BD folder playback, for NAS playback you need the AVCHD folder. But for attached storage you can use the "BDMV Modifier" program to make them play directly.
thank you both, what software are you using to create your files. i'm using dvdfab but so far it's not that reliable, getting disc read errors ugh.

post #8 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Infuse Or Oppo203

Quote:
thank you both, what software are you using to create your files. i'm using dvdfab but so far it's not that reliable, getting disc read errors ugh.

Makemkv for ripping. Handbrake for encoding.

I only do full discs for movies that have Dolby vision and that I really like. I reencode everything else.

post #9 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Indeed, the Oppo would have to be jailbroken to play back ISOs.

I have all 180+ of my 4K Blu-rays on my NAS and I play them back on the Oppo connecting via a SMB share. Once I select the AVCHD folders in the share, it starts up like the disc is in the tray.
m_snow likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
I have a few Apple TVs and a couple Oppo 203s myself.

What I do is I backup all my regular and 4K Blu-ray discs as full backups with loose files via MakeMKV. I then put those folders into a folder named AVCHD (as others mentioned), then those go in folders with the movie title and they're shared via SMB.

Infuse is able to play the files back in that configuration and I get "disc in tray" behavior on the Oppos.

You are correct that you will not get Dolby Vision in Infuse, it will fall back to the HDR10 base layer and you will lose object based metadata formats as all the lossless audio is decoded by the Apple TV and passed via PCM.
m_snow likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
Quote:
Fab is actually the quickest to add support for new titles these days, and will create a BDMV folder in copy mode. Read errors are due to your drive itself, not software. PC drives are pretty bad at reading UHD discs, often you need to clean and polish the disc and try again.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Indeed, the Oppo would have to be jailbroken to play back ISOs.

I have all 180+ of my 4K Blu-rays on my NAS and I play them back on the Oppo connecting via a SMB share. Once I select the AVCHD folders in the share, it starts up like the disc is in the tray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I have a few Apple TVs and a couple Oppo 203s myself.

What I do is I backup all my regular and 4K Blu-ray discs as full backups with loose files via MakeMKV. I then put those folders into a folder named AVCHD (as others mentioned), then those go in folders with the movie title and they're shared via SMB.

Infuse is able to play the files back in that configuration and I get "disc in tray" behavior on the Oppos.

You are correct that you will not get Dolby Vision in Infuse, it will fall back to the HDR10 base layer and you will lose object based metadata formats as all the lossless audio is decoded by the Apple TV and passed via PCM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Fab is actually the quickest to add support for new titles these days, and will create a BDMV folder in copy mode. Read errors are due to your drive itself, not software. PC drives are pretty bad at reading UHD discs, often you need to clean and polish the disc and try again.
Thanks all. I was able to play my dolby vision full back up via external usb drive connected directly to player, i got full menu's and HD audio and most importantly it's playing back in Dolby Vision. i ended up using the AVCHD Manager executable to set default movie, like I did in the past with my blu rays. for some reason i can't connect to my imac from the oppo players network tab, user id and password not working for some reason. i'm entering the same info i use for infuse and that works fine. go figure, always something.
m_snow likes this.

post #13 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks all. I was able to play my dolby vision full back up via external usb drive connected directly to player, i got full menu's and HD audio and most importantly it's playing back in Dolby Vision. i ended up using the AVCHD Manager executable to set default movie, like I did in the past with my blu rays. for some reason i can't connect to my imac from the oppo players network tab, user id and password not working for some reason. i'm entering the same info i use for infuse and that works fine. go figure, always something.

You don’t need to use AVCHD manager. Works fine without.

And I can’t connect either. Not to a Mac, windows or Linux. But I can with infuse with the same credentials.

post #14 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You don’t need to use AVCHD manager. Works fine without.

And I can’t connect either. Not to a Mac, windows or Linux. But I can with infuse with the same credentials.
yup it sure does. turns out I don't need to put the movie in the AVCHD folder either. i put the movie in a movies folder and selected it and it also played fine :-) so i'm very happy about that cause now i can pick which movie I want to play. thanks to everyone who contributed to my thread, I really do appreciate all the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page