Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Generation - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 57 Old 11-13-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,507
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5540 Post(s)
Liked: 3941
On my 2016 E6 OLED, I only get 1080p60 with DV from Netflix and Disney. Match frame rate does not work with those apps if I set Resolution to Auto on the Cube. When I set Fire Cube to Auto resolution, it drops all resolution to 1080p on those apps, including 4K, 4K HDR10 and 4K DV HDR on my 4K tv. If I want 4K on those apps, I have to set resolution to 2160 on Fire Cube, but then I lose DV. What a pain. On Amazon Prime, There are no issues. Automatically switches to 4K24 for DV titles.
wxman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 57 Old 11-20-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 2,438
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I've been using Fire Stick 4K's for awhile and like them. They too can do Dolby Vision & Atmos. Their navigation is a little slower than the 2nd gen Cube but not bad at all.

After getting the 2nd gen Fire Cube, I ran into 2 issues:

1. YouTube 4K HDR not working - the videos play but HDR doesn't "kick in" so they appear faded/washed out. YouTube 4K HDR works fine on the Fire Stick 4K in the same setup: even after switching back and forth between it and the Cube.

2. Harmony Remote OK/Select Button not 100% working - primarily, but not limited to, Amazon apps. Easiest way to check it is to select the Amazon Photos app. Hitting OK/Select starts the app fine but when trying to select a picture, the OK/Select button on the Harmony does nothing. The stock Cube remote works fine. Other times/apps the on-screen keyboard will not appear when hitting the OK/Select button on a dialog box.

I continue to get updates for the Cube itself and also received an update for the stock remote. I've tried un-pairing and re-pairing the Harmony remote (connected via Bluetooth) without luck so far. Note: I also changed the device in the Harmony from Fire Stick to Fire Cube.

I haven't had issues with Dolby Vision, HDR10 at 4K or Atmos. With my internet connection, Amazon Prime videos go from HD to 1080p HD and then eventually to Ultra HD 4K. HDR seems to be there shortly after starting.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #33 of 57 Old 11-20-2019, 11:53 AM
Member
 
Hyp Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm wondering if the Fire Stick 4K may get an update to allow Atmos via Netflix? It seems like such a strange limitation to me, especially since it seems that this new Cube has the ability to do it. Anyone own both and can compare? Is there a noticeable speed difference as well?
Hyp Toad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 57 Old 11-21-2019, 08:18 AM
Member
 
allisonok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
I've been using Fire Stick 4K's for awhile and like them. They too can do Dolby Vision & Atmos. Their navigation is a little slower than the 2nd gen Cube but not bad at all.

After getting the 2nd gen Fire Cube, I ran into 2 issues:

1. YouTube 4K HDR not working - the videos play but HDR doesn't "kick in" so they appear faded/washed out. YouTube 4K HDR works fine on the Fire Stick 4K in the same setup: even after switching back and forth between it and the Cube.

2. Harmony Remote OK/Select Button not 100% working - primarily, but not limited to, Amazon apps. Easiest way to check it is to select the Amazon Photos app. Hitting OK/Select starts the app fine but when trying to select a picture, the OK/Select button on the Harmony does nothing. The stock Cube remote works fine. Other times/apps the on-screen keyboard will not appear when hitting the OK/Select button on a dialog box.

I continue to get updates for the Cube itself and also received an update for the stock remote. I've tried un-pairing and re-pairing the Harmony remote (connected via Bluetooth) without luck so far. Note: I also changed the device in the Harmony from Fire Stick to Fire Cube.

I haven't had issues with Dolby Vision, HDR10 at 4K or Atmos. With my internet connection, Amazon Prime videos go from HD to 1080p HD and then eventually to Ultra HD 4K. HDR seems to be there shortly after starting.
I'm also having the OK/Select problems with Harmony. I don't remember having this problem on the first gen Cube. Makes the Hulu app very difficult to use.

Denon AVR-X6300H, LG OLED55B7A, Sony UPB-X1100ES, Oppo BDP-103, Tivo Roamio OTA, Panasonic DMR-ES46V, Proscan PSLD-43, Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB
Klipsch R-820f fronts, C-2 center, R-620f surrounds, Quintet V for Atmos, Monoprice Monolith 10", Velodyne VRP-10
allisonok is offline  
post #35 of 57 Old 11-21-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,278
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
I also don't use Alexa at all (Mic always kept muted). But this thing is my go to recommendation for a 4k/HDR streamer at the moment. Fantastic UI, especially if you have Prime service. And it supports all of the major streaming services ar both Dolby Vision and Atmos (something the Apple TV had cornered basically until now). All for $120. It is rock solid.
I have the 4k fire stick which has no atmos on the Netflix and Disney plus app does the cube 2 nd gen have atmos on Netflix and Disney plus app? Thanks in advance

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer lx500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
william06 is online now  
post #36 of 57 Old 11-21-2019, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,262
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2246 Post(s)
Liked: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
I have the 4k fire stick which has no atmos on the Netflix and Disney plus app does the cube 2 nd gen have atmos on Netflix and Disney plus app? Thanks in advance

100% yes for Netflix. Unknown for Disney+. I did a Google search and as of a few days ago it looks like no Atmos for Disney+ support yet, but I guess from reading Atmos support among other streaming devices for Disney+ is hit and miss at the moment on whether it is supported or not.
william06 likes this.
BigCoolJesus is online now  
post #37 of 57 Old 11-21-2019, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,262
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2246 Post(s)
Liked: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonok View Post
I'm also having the OK/Select problems with Harmony. I don't remember having this problem on the first gen Cube. Makes the Hulu app very difficult to use.

I had this issue at first but after re-syncing MyHarmony changes to my remote for a different device setup, it has gone away
BigCoolJesus is online now  
post #38 of 57 Old 11-21-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,212
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
100% yes for Netflix. Unknown for Disney+. I did a Google search and as of a few days ago it looks like no Atmos for Disney+ support yet, but I guess from reading Atmos support among other streaming devices for Disney+ is hit and miss at the moment on whether it is supported or not.
I have the 2nd Gen Fire Cube and Disney plus and I don't believe I have seen Atmos on anything I watched. I haven't paid a ton of attention though either.
william06 likes this.
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #39 of 57 Old 11-21-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 2,438
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Didn't work for me. 😞

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonok View Post
I'm also having the OK/Select problems with Harmony. I don't remember having this problem on the first gen Cube. Makes the Hulu app very difficult to use.

I had this issue at first but after re-syncing MyHarmony changes to my remote for a different device setup, it has gone away

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #40 of 57 Old 11-21-2019, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 2,438
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I can confirm no Atmos with Disney+ at the moment on the 2nd gen Fire TV Cube. Apple TV 4K & Roku Ultra yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
I have the 4k fire stick which has no atmos on the Netflix and Disney plus app does the cube 2nd gen have atmos on Netflix and Disney plus app? Thanks in advance

100% yes for Netflix. Unknown for Disney+. I did a Google search and as of a few days ago it looks like no Atmos for Disney+ support yet, but I guess from reading Atmos support among other streaming devices for Disney+ is hit and miss at the moment on whether it is supported or not.
william06 likes this.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #41 of 57 Old 11-26-2019, 04:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
I've been using Fire Stick 4K's for awhile and like them. They too can do Dolby Vision & Atmos. Their navigation is a little slower than the 2nd gen Cube but not bad at all.

After getting the 2nd gen Fire Cube, I ran into 2 issues:

1. YouTube 4K HDR not working - the videos play but HDR doesn't "kick in" so they appear faded/washed out. YouTube 4K HDR works fine on the Fire Stick 4K in the same setup: even after switching back and forth between it and the Cube.

2. Harmony Remote OK/Select Button not 100% working - primarily, but not limited to, Amazon apps. Easiest way to check it is to select the Amazon Photos app. Hitting OK/Select starts the app fine but when trying to select a picture, the OK/Select button on the Harmony does nothing. The stock Cube remote works fine. Other times/apps the on-screen keyboard will not appear when hitting the OK/Select button on a dialog box.

I continue to get updates for the Cube itself and also received an update for the stock remote. I've tried un-pairing and re-pairing the Harmony remote (connected via Bluetooth) without luck so far. Note: I also changed the device in the Harmony from Fire Stick to Fire Cube.

I haven't had issues with Dolby Vision, HDR10 at 4K or Atmos. With my internet connection, Amazon Prime videos go from HD to 1080p HD and then eventually to Ultra HD 4K. HDR seems to be there shortly after starting.
i have been experiencing the same issue with the hdr. I thought I was going crazy. I switched ports and different cords to no avail. I know it's not the tv also because everything is fine on the same videos on my ps4 pro
saludgrind is online now  
post #42 of 57 Old 11-27-2019, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,507
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5540 Post(s)
Liked: 3941
Quote:
Originally Posted by saludgrind View Post
i have been experiencing the same issue with the hdr. I thought I was going crazy. I switched ports and different cords to no avail. I know it's not the tv also because everything is fine on the same videos on my ps4 pro
I have the same issues with HDR via youtube. From what I have read, it's not supported on the Cube, only on the Stick. Perhaps we will get a FW update for it.
meles likes this.
wxman is offline  
post #43 of 57 Old 11-28-2019, 12:35 AM
Senior Member
 
meles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I have the same issues with HDR via youtube. From what I have read, it's not supported on the Cube, only on the Stick. Perhaps we will get a FW update for it.
Well for something that is supposed to even support HLG HDR and costs triple the price of a stick one should hope so especially given all the HLG showing up on youtube.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)
meles is offline  
post #44 of 57 Old 11-28-2019, 01:18 AM
Senior Member
 
meles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 113
First day with the new Cube, well first day with an Amazon device.

Overall I like it, but lets start with the glaring deficiencies:
1. No Vudu - you can force add it, but the Android version won't play 4K. Every device under the sun plays Vudu
2. Apple TV app - well it stinks everywhere only offering HDR, but on my Cube only getting stereo sound which is an absolute joke (and who knows that may be the case elsewhere). ATV4K often is dd5.1 so hopefully this improves on all devices. ATV4K uses PCM Atmos, so DD+ Atmos would be a welcome change and regular DD+ a boost over dd5.1, but again very sadly stereo.
3. Movies Anywhere App - dolby vision, but Atmos not working so another fail
4. Won't talkie well with 4k Oppo players HDMI bypass feature for Dolby Vision. My ATV4K just wouldn't do it for a while either, but then started passing DV through the Oppo. No luck so far with Fire Cube ver. 2. If this were to work that would be eventual advantage over ATV4K as the PCM Atmos from it won't go through Xbox or Oppo hdmi inputs. Since my Samsung Soundbar (k950) won't pass dolby vision I'm forced to use the expensive HD Fury AVR key splitter for all dolby vision sources (won't accept Atmos from TV either). For Oppo owners the hdmi input bypass setting could save them some money and setup complications.

What I like:
1. Amazon Prime interface - its nicer and don't have to hunt as much for 4K versions of stuff
2. IMDB TV - new app for me with good sound.
3. Alexa - love talking to the box rather than a remote. Hoping to get Harmony Elite with Alexa and blaster for full voice control of my system (an unpractical effort, but a rewarding one as my hdmi cable count goes past 20). Hoping to use Alexa voice commands to launch logitech "Activities". This will include operating two seperate 5 port hdmi switches. Had a lengthy support call and exceptionally knowledgeable Amazonian told me about IFTTT for integrating voice commands from various devices including Siri and Roku. Plus one could command lights in home which is easy as something like greeni led lights or perhaps some dimmer upgrades for actual light switches. Would be bad to have all that integrated like a full blown Kodi home theater setup. Hoping to call Logitech to see if the above musing are indeed possible with an Elite and a Cube. This is the feature that seperates the cube from the stick
4. Smooth running and fast as noted better by others in this thread
5. Generally just wowed by HDR/DV video quality when its working. Haven't shot it out with Apple TV 4K which was the previous champ in my system. Just very good subtleties in the video.

I have a lot of devices so willing to put up the laundry list of shortcomings for what I like in this device. Seems like its doing pretty well having only been out six weeks. Really, really disgusted with the no Vudu stance of Amazon.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)
meles is offline  
post #45 of 57 Old 11-28-2019, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,212
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by meles View Post
First day with the new Cube, well first day with an Amazon device.



Overall I like it, but lets start with the glaring deficiencies:

1. No Vudu - you can force add it, but the Android version won't play 4K. Every device under the sun plays Vudu

2. Apple TV app - well it stinks everywhere only offering HDR, but on my Cube only getting stereo sound which is an absolute joke (and who knows that may be the case elsewhere). ATV4K often is dd5.1 so hopefully this improves on all devices. ATV4K uses PCM Atmos, so DD+ Atmos would be a welcome change and regular DD+ a boost over dd5.1, but again very sadly stereo.

3. Movies Anywhere App - dolby vision, but Atmos not working so another fail

4. Won't talkie well with 4k Oppo players HDMI bypass feature for Dolby Vision. My ATV4K just wouldn't do it for a while either, but then started passing DV through the Oppo. No luck so far with Fire Cube ver. 2. If this were to work that would be eventual advantage over ATV4K as the PCM Atmos from it won't go through Xbox or Oppo hdmi inputs. Since my Samsung Soundbar (k950) won't pass dolby vision I'm forced to use the expensive HD Fury AVR key splitter for all dolby vision sources (won't accept Atmos from TV either). For Oppo owners the hdmi input bypass setting could save them some money and setup complications.



What I like:

1. Amazon Prime interface - its nicer and don't have to hunt as much for 4K versions of stuff

2. IMDB TV - new app for me with good sound.

3. Alexa - love talking to the box rather than a remote. Hoping to get Harmony Elite with Alexa and blaster for full voice control of my system (an unpractical effort, but a rewarding one as my hdmi cable count goes past 20). Hoping to use Alexa voice commands to launch logitech "Activities". This will include operating two seperate 5 port hdmi switches. Had a lengthy support call and exceptionally knowledgeable Amazonian told me about IFTTT for integrating voice commands from various devices including Siri and Roku. Plus one could command lights in home which is easy as something like greeni led lights or perhaps some dimmer upgrades for actual light switches. Would be bad to have all that integrated like a full blown Kodi home theater setup. Hoping to call Logitech to see if the above musing are indeed possible with an Elite and a Cube. This is the feature that seperates the cube from the stick

4. Smooth running and fast as noted better by others in this thread

5. Generally just wowed by HDR/DV video quality when its working. Haven't shot it out with Apple TV 4K which was the previous champ in my system. Just very good subtleties in the video.



I have a lot of devices so willing to put up the laundry list of shortcomings for what I like in this device. Seems like its doing pretty well having only been out six weeks. Really, really disgusted with the no Vudu stance of Amazon.
Dude this thing with Vudu is infuriating. I don't understand. I hate having to switch to Roku just for Vudu.
meles likes this.
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #46 of 57 Old 11-28-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tngiloy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morrison, Colorado
Posts: 1,434
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Just got my Cube last night and set it up w/o much problem, but I have a question about mirroring/casting from an Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet to the cube.
How??

I googled it and it said to open settings in the tablet, go to 'display/sounds' and turn on 'display mirroring'. In my settings it only has 'display' and no 'display mirroring option', so I couldn't do it that way. At least I couldn't find 'screen mirroring' anywhere in the hd 10 tablet's settings.
Tried turning on blue tooth in the tablet and then went into Cubes setup and tried to discover BT devices, but the tablet didn't show up.

So bottom line is, can I mirror my HD 10 tablet to the cube?? If yes, How??

Thanks, Tom

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all!

"When all else fails, read the manual."
tngiloy is online now  
post #47 of 57 Old 11-28-2019, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Dargent0628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Just got my Cube last night and set it up w/o much problem, but I have a question about mirroring/casting from an Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet to the cube.
How??

I googled it and it said to open settings in the tablet, go to 'display/sounds' and turn on 'display mirroring'. In my settings it only has 'display' and no 'display mirroring option', so I couldn't do it that way. At least I couldn't find 'screen mirroring' anywhere in the hd 10 tablet's settings.
Tried turning on blue tooth in the tablet and then went into Cubes setup and tried to discover BT devices, but the tablet didn't show up.

So bottom line is, can I mirror my HD 10 tablet to the cube?? If yes, How??

Thanks, Tom

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Amazon Device Support › Fire TV Help › Troubleshoot Content Issues›
Unable to Screen Mirror on Fire TV Devices
You can mirror your compatible Android screen on some Fire TV devices.

iOS and MacOS devices aren't supported.
Android devices before OS 4.2 (Jelly Bean) aren't supported.
The devices aren't within 30 ft (10 m) of each other.
The devices aren't connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Amazon Fire TV (3rd Generation) isn't supported.
Fire TV Cube isn't supported.
Fire TV Edition televisions aren't supported.
tngiloy likes this.
Dargent0628 is offline  
post #48 of 57 Old 11-28-2019, 10:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saludgrind View Post
i have been experiencing the same issue with the hdr. I thought I was going crazy. I switched ports and different cords to no avail. I know it's not the tv also because everything is fine on the same videos on my ps4 pro
I have the same issues with HDR via youtube. From what I have read, it's not supported on the Cube, only on the Stick. Perhaps we will get a FW update for it.
I am sure we will. Pretty big deficiancy to not catch a app fix down the road. I am just happy that is the problem and not a hardware malfunction. YouTube has had official apps on the Amazon brands for only a few months. There is always bound to be hiccups
saludgrind is online now  
post #49 of 57 Old 11-28-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tngiloy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morrison, Colorado
Posts: 1,434
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
Amazon Device Support › Fire TV Help › Troubleshoot Content Issues›
Unable to Screen Mirror on Fire TV Devices
You can mirror your compatible Android screen on some Fire TV devices.

iOS and MacOS devices aren't supported.
Android devices before OS 4.2 (Jelly Bean) aren't supported.
The devices aren't within 30 ft (10 m) of each other.
The devices aren't connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Amazon Fire TV (3rd Generation) isn't supported.
Fire TV Cube isn't supported.
Fire TV Edition televisions aren't supported.
Guess that's why. I would think Amazon would make their products work together better.

So is there a way to mirror a windows10 screen to the Cube ?? They try to 'connect', but it always fails.
Is there some sort of work-around with an app loaded to the Cube ??
Any help would be appreciated.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
tngiloy is online now  
post #50 of 57 Old 11-28-2019, 12:20 PM
Member
 
wozman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London Ontario Canada
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Trying to decide which stream box or stick to add to my Home Theater or let alone throughout my house.

-Amazon Fire 4K Stick -- is really affordable this weekends black Friday sales, I already own (3) Amazon Echo and Dots (one for each main room).
-Amazon Fire Cube -- looks good on all the reviews, but is double the cost of the Fire Stick.
-Apple TV 4K -- looks like the "creme de la creme" when it comes to stream boxes etc. I do not own any Apple Computers (Macs) but do own a iPad and have several iTunes movies already in my library from purchasing physical media, and acquiring the downloads. Also am an iPhone user. for what its worth.

I want to be able to get Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos sound, with which ever I purchase. Does that narrow my field down. Do they all support it? I am sure Apple does, not sure on Amazon Fire products. One wrench into the equation is that my Receiver (only 3-4 years old) doesn't support Dolby Vision. HOWEVER my Oppo-203 does, and has HDMI-IN on it. maybe there is a work around by utilizing that. I just purchased a new 4K display Panasonic OLED 65GZ1000, hence why I want a 4K streaming solution.

Thanks for any feedback.

Media Room: 65" Panasonic GZ1000 OLED, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DMP-UB400, HTPC, PS4, AppleTV4K, Pioneer Andrew Jones Series Speakers plus Subs (Atmos Ready 5.2.4)
Living Room: 50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma PDP-5020FD, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, Panasonic BDT-360, PS3, Bose Acoustimass 6 Series(5.1)
wozman is online now  
post #51 of 57 Old 11-28-2019, 01:22 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi there. Has anyone gotten the Cube to detect HDMI inputs from their AVR? Here's my setup: I have one HDMI cable running from an ARC connection on my TV to a Marantz NR1609 and everything else connected to/controlled by the AVR: the Cube, PS4 and cable box connected to the Marantz. The Cube setup was straightforward, it recognizes the TV and the Marantz, no issues. However, whilst adding the other devices (PS4, cable box), although the Cube can detect them and control them during setup, it is unable to detect the HDMI ports they're connected to at the AVR, so at the final setup step, I can't select an input.

Any ideas? If I can't control my other connected devices, it kind of defeats its purpose.
dud3k is offline  
post #52 of 57 Old 11-28-2019, 01:43 PM
Senior Member
 
meles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Dude this thing with Vudu is infuriating. I don't understand. I hate having to switch to Roku just for Vudu.
There is no one perfect device. Outside of my TV I have all but chromecast (Xbox S & X, Sony X700(nice), Fire Cube 2, Roku Prem+, and of course Apple TV 4K (plus an Oppo). This fact of life is especially true with sound bars, so count yourself lucky if you can get by with two devices.

I really enjoyed my time with Fire tech support and here we have another version of the device just 18 months after the original. That to me shows a company on the move that is going to fix some of these holes in the next year. Frankly I don't like compromising on things like Dolby Vision and Atmos which are the dominant formats, so Fire Cube is a winner.

If on an extreme budget well get the Stick and give up Alexa. For me with TV and Soundbar that retail for $5500 originally, all these devices are a drop in the bucket save the Oppo. You just have to master them in your environment and the Fire Cube just may be the best for making these systems work together so you don't have to change channels for the rest of your household. For me the Apple TV 4K is the closest device to doing it all and is a must right now.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)
meles is offline  
post #53 of 57 Old 11-28-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
zaphod7501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Peoria Illinois
Posts: 2,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I'd like to comment on an unexpected feature; the ability to browse files on a networked PC directly without using a DLNA-like server. (using VLC in my case) I loved this feature on my WDTVLive but the Netflix app was left unsupported and Amazon Prime was impossible. My UHD BD player did great for streaming but couldn't do network shares without DLNA and would likely never do Disney+. The sale price was inviting so I picked one up. Several surprises ensued.

I was unfamiliar with Android systems and was surprised to find out that the Cube did virtually nothing on its own, not even manage its own internal storage, everything required an "app". VLC installed and the first surprise, my network shares showed up. This is a feature much desired by former WDTVLive users and believed to be a long lost ability with modern streamers.

Next, my Harmony hub will control the Cube. I had expected to have to use the OEM remote but the Harmony can communicate just fine. No issues so far.

Installing a file manager on the Cube and ftp client on my PC got internal storage sorted but it seems a convoluted way of handling internal files that I had expected to be an integral part of the OS.

I'm not a big fan of the User Interface but that's just a learning curve. VLC seems to be all or none on subtitles without the ability to turn them on or off on a file-by-file basis or select between them. Unless I'm missing a less obvious feature.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
zaphod7501 is online now  
post #54 of 57 Old 11-28-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,212
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
I just got a questionnaire about the Fire Cube. It was kinda long for a questionnaire. I stressed the need to bring Vudu to Fire TV.
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #55 of 57 Old 11-29-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 2,438
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 147
VUDU on Fire TV would be great. It may be more up to Wal-Mart to make that happen.

I switch between all the streaming boxes and usually end up mostly on the Apple TV. I go back to the Roku Ultra or Fire TV for YouTube 4K and 4K HDR. Hopefully Google and Apple will "work" together like Google and Amazon did to get YouTube & YouTube TV on Fire devices and Amazon Prime on more Android TV devices.

I still have no HDR with YouTube 4K HDR that I mentioned earlier on the 2nd gen Cube.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch

Last edited by Wesley Hester; 11-29-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #56 of 57 Old Today, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dazz87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Just picked up Cube 2nd gen and was wondering does it support dts-hd and true-hd inside of kodi? I just installed kodi and the best i could get is dts. Am i missing something?

Another issue im having is im getting audio drop on my denon receiver. Under setting for audio I have "best available" selected. The audio drop is coming from all apps. Any suggestions?

Last edited by dazz87; Today at 07:55 PM.
dazz87 is online now  
post #57 of 57 Old Today, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,212
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post
Just picked up Cube 2nd gen and was wondering does it support dts-hd and true-hd inside of kodi? I just installed kodi and the best i could get is dts. Am i missing something?
I don't think it does but maybe someone will have a definitive answer.
Hetfieldjames is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off