First day with the new Cube, well first day with an Amazon device.
Overall I like it, but lets start with the glaring deficiencies:
1. No Vudu - you can force add it, but the Android version won't play 4K. Every device under the sun plays Vudu
2. Apple TV app - well it stinks everywhere only offering HDR, but on my Cube only getting stereo sound which is an absolute joke (and who knows that may be the case elsewhere). ATV4K often is dd5.1 so hopefully this improves on all devices. ATV4K uses PCM Atmos, so DD+ Atmos would be a welcome change and regular DD+ a boost over dd5.1, but again very sadly stereo.
3. Movies Anywhere App - dolby vision, but Atmos not working so another fail
4. Won't talkie well with 4k Oppo players HDMI bypass feature for Dolby Vision. My ATV4K just wouldn't do it for a while either, but then started passing DV through the Oppo. No luck so far with Fire Cube ver. 2. If this were to work that would be eventual advantage over ATV4K as the PCM Atmos from it won't go through Xbox or Oppo hdmi inputs. Since my Samsung Soundbar (k950) won't pass dolby vision I'm forced to use the expensive HD Fury AVR key splitter for all dolby vision sources (won't accept Atmos from TV either). For Oppo owners the hdmi input bypass setting could save them some money and setup complications.
What I like:
1. Amazon Prime interface - its nicer and don't have to hunt as much for 4K versions of stuff
2. IMDB TV - new app for me with good sound.
3. Alexa - love talking to the box rather than a remote. Hoping to get Harmony Elite with Alexa and blaster for full voice control of my system (an unpractical effort, but a rewarding one as my hdmi cable count goes past 20
). Hoping to use Alexa voice commands to launch logitech "Activities". This will include operating two seperate 5 port hdmi switches. Had a lengthy support call and exceptionally knowledgeable Amazonian told me about IFTTT for integrating voice commands from various devices including Siri and Roku. Plus one could command lights in home which is easy as something like greeni led lights or perhaps some dimmer upgrades for actual light switches. Would be bad to have all that integrated like a full blown Kodi home theater setup. Hoping to call Logitech to see if the above musing are indeed possible with an Elite and a Cube. This is the feature that seperates the cube from the stick
4. Smooth running and fast as noted better by others in this thread
5. Generally just wowed by HDR/DV video quality when its working. Haven't shot it out with Apple TV 4K which was the previous champ in my system. Just very good subtleties in the video.
I have a lot of devices so willing to put up the laundry list of shortcomings for what I like in this device. Seems like its doing pretty well having only been out six weeks. Really, really disgusted with the no Vudu stance of Amazon.