Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Generation - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #61 of 102 Old 12-15-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
The HDMI interface should have enough bandwidth, so they could definitely be fixing things with firmware and app updates.
That's cool, either way it's good they did that. Why a brand new device would not play ultra HD music from Amazon music is kinda odd so it needed to be fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 102 Old 12-18-2019, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im confused and hope someone can help me, i just moved from a firestick 4k to the 2n gen cube, my setup is a tv connected by a single hdmi running into a closet 20+ feet away. My Receiver and all other equipment are in this closet. I had the firestick 4k plugged directly into the receiver and i could power on/off the TV and the receiver using the Firestick remote, the TV i assumed was using the IR from the firestick remote and the receiver in the closet i have a IR repeater over Cat6 that was powering on/off the receiver.

Now with the Cube i plugged the hdmi into the same port on on the receiver as the firestick was, i know this defeats the purpose of being able to talk to the cube because its in a closet 20' away, but i mostly wanted the faster processing for my main entertainment setup vs the firestick. Now the Cube controls my receiver on/off just fine, but now the new cube remote cannot power on/off my television. Are the firestick and Cube remotes different, am i not able to use IR at all with this remote? How is it the firestick could use IR but now the Cube remote does not.

What are my options, if i move the Cube in front of the TV (which im sure is what 99% of people do) vs in a closet, how do i cable this setup if the Cube plugs directly into my TV? I do have an optical cable running from the TV to the Closet as well, the TV is an OLED LG 9600.
post #63 of 102 Old 12-18-2019, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonaldb View Post
Im confused and hope someone can help me, i just moved from a firestick 4k to the 2n gen cube, my setup is a tv connected by a single hdmi running into a closet 20+ feet away. My Receiver and all other equipment are in this closet. I had the firestick 4k plugged directly into the receiver and i could power on/off the TV and the receiver using the Firestick remote, the TV i assumed was using the IR from the firestick remote and the receiver in the closet i have a IR repeater over Cat6 that was powering on/off the receiver.

Now with the Cube i plugged the hdmi into the same port on on the receiver as the firestick was, i know this defeats the purpose of being able to talk to the cube because its in a closet 20' away, but i mostly wanted the faster processing for my main entertainment setup vs the firestick. Now the Cube controls my receiver on/off just fine, but now the new cube remote cannot power on/off my television. Are the firestick and Cube remotes different, am i not able to use IR at all with this remote? How is it the firestick could use IR but now the Cube remote does not.

What are my options, if i move the Cube in front of the TV (which im sure is what 99% of people do) vs in a closet, how do i cable this setup if the Cube plugs directly into my TV? I do have an optical cable running from the TV to the Closet as well, the TV is an OLED LG 9600.
So i moved the Cube in front of my TV, i have Cube HDMI going into HDMI1 on the tv, HDMI2 is my homerun back to my Receiver in the closet, i then plugged the IR repeater cable (not the cube provided but my own that goes over CAT5) into the back of the Cube. I am now able to control both the TV and the Receiver with the Cube, still some quirks, like i can power things on and off with voice commands, however if i try to voice command something like "watch youtube TV", it will power on my TV but not my receiver. But if i just ask to "power on my receiver" it will do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 102 Old 12-18-2019, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Looks like the latest update restored Dolby Vision. Now the Disney + app kicked the cube into DV for the newest episode of the mandalorian
post #65 of 102 Old 12-19-2019, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Is HDR on YouTube still unavailable on the Cube, or has that been remedied?
post #66 of 102 Old 12-19-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
Is HDR on YouTube still unavailable on the Cube, or has that been remedied?
Hmm, haven't tried that yet since I got the Cube but will when I get home from work. I didn't even know it was an issue.
post #67 of 102 Old 12-19-2019, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Hmm, haven't tried that yet since I got the Cube but will when I get home from work. I didn't even know it was an issue.
Thanks for checking on that. My apologies if I'm confusing the issue with something else, but that’s what I remember reading.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #68 of 102 Old 12-19-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for checking on that. My apologies if I'm confusing the issue with something else, but that’s what I remember reading.
No problem.
post #69 of 102 Old 12-19-2019, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No problem.
Ah-ha ...here is where I read it. See posts #41-42 in this thread.
post #70 of 102 Old 12-19-2019, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah-ha ...here is where I read it. See posts #41-42 in this thread.
Yeah very strange, no HDR from YouTube on the Cube. I hadn't even tried it for some reason but did when I got home from today and no HDR. Kinda annoying to be honest. No idea why that would be but there is your answer. Sorry for the delay, slipped my mind to post something.
LDBetaGuy likes this.
post #71 of 102 Old 12-29-2019, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I got a fire tv cube in July 2019. might be 1st gen ?

But that's not the thing. I noticed this weird thing. \
Playing 4k content from youtube clearly is underpar with the Chromcast 4k. the colors are washed off, anyone seen anything like this ?

Search for Costa Rica video on you tube and let me know what you think!
post #72 of 102 Old 12-30-2019, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqmaster View Post

Playing 4k content from youtube clearly is underpar with the Chromcast 4k. the colors are washed off, anyone seen anything like this ?

See my previous post #32 :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
I've been using Fire Stick 4K's for awhile and like them. They too can do Dolby Vision & Atmos. Their navigation is a little slower than the 2nd gen Cube but not bad at all.

After getting the 2nd gen Fire Cube, I ran into 2 issues:

1. YouTube 4K HDR not working - the videos play but HDR doesn't "kick in" so they appear faded/washed out. YouTube 4K HDR works fine on the Fire Stick 4K in the same setup: even after switching back and forth between it and the Cube.

2. Harmony Remote OK/Select Button not 100% working - primarily, but not limited to, Amazon apps. Easiest way to check it is to select the Amazon Photos app. Hitting OK/Select starts the app fine but when trying to select a picture, the OK/Select button on the Harmony does nothing. The stock Cube remote works fine. Other times/apps the on-screen keyboard will not appear when hitting the OK/Select button on a dialog box.

I continue to get updates for the Cube itself and also received an update for the stock remote. I've tried un-pairing and re-pairing the Harmony remote (connected via Bluetooth) without luck so far. Note: I also changed the device in the Harmony from Fire Stick to Fire Cube.

I haven't had issues with Dolby Vision, HDR10 at 4K or Atmos. With my internet connection, Amazon Prime videos go from HD to 1080p HD and then eventually to Ultra HD 4K. HDR seems to be there shortly after starting.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
post #73 of 102 Old 12-30-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqmaster View Post

Definitely 1st gen. YouTube HDR not working yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #74 of 102 Old 12-30-2019, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Does the cube properly play 24.000 fps content on netflix such as the Witcher, El Camino, Birdbox, The Irishman in 24.000 hz? My apple tv 4k is playing that content back at 23.976 hz which is resulting in noticeable stutter.
post #75 of 102 Old 12-30-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygeezy View Post
Does the cube properly play 24.000 fps content on netflix such as the Witcher, El Camino, Birdbox, The Irishman in 24.000 hz? My apple tv 4k is playing that content back at 23.976 hz which is resulting in noticeable stutter.

Only Amazon Prime Video content!

post #76 of 102 Old 12-31-2019, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 23
A very weedy question for you Cube owners here,
Anybody know what codec the Cube uses for its bluetooth connection with wireless headphones?

Background: When I bought a 4K disc spinner with support for bluetooth headphones, I thought that feature would be a novelty. With the addition of low-latency headphones, it turned out to be a killer feature I enjoy far more than expected.

Now I'm fixin to add a streaming box - Apple or Amazon or Nvidia. And I'm having a hard time getting a read on any of them as far as AAC and aptX-LL and LDAC support.
post #77 of 102 Old 01-15-2020, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Anyone using with Kodi?

When playing movies with DTS-HD or True-HD, while I know it wont play the HD audio, but will it at least play the core 5.1?

Asking because while the Fire TV 4K (w/HDR/DV) stick plays the core, my 1st gen cube gives no audio if the HD track is selected.
post #78 of 102 Old 01-26-2020, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just upgraded my TV to 4K UHD with an existing Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen. Prime Video works great with 4K HDR, but when I play Netflix, the TV reports 1080p, despite the fact that I'm on the premium plan. Any idea how to fix this?
post #79 of 102 Old 01-26-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhasselbaum View Post
Just upgraded my TV to 4K UHD with an existing Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen. Prime Video works great with 4K HDR, but when I play Netflix, the TV reports 1080p, despite the fact that I'm on the premium plan. Any idea how to fix this?
are you playing the specific UHD content. Cause most of the stuff on Netflix that is not there original content is in 1080p
post #80 of 102 Old 01-26-2020, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4849 Post(s)
Liked: 2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhasselbaum View Post

You have to upgrade to Neflix's 4k streaming plan, which surprise, surprise, costs more. Amazon doesn't charge extra for 4k content. And yes, they're both limited in terms of shows and movies in 4k. Though, with the paltry bitrate, you can't really call the 4k stuff really good quality 4k. Amazon's premiere 4k movie, The Aeronauts, for example, has banding all over the place due to the low bitrate.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #81 of 102 Old 01-27-2020, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
You have to upgrade to Neflix's 4k streaming plan, which surprise, surprise, costs more. Amazon doesn't charge extra for 4k content. And yes, they're both limited in terms of shows and movies in 4k. Though, with the paltry bitrate, you can't really call the 4k stuff really good quality 4k. Amazon's premiere 4k movie, The Aeronauts, for example, has banding all over the place due to the low bitrate.

As I said, I already subscribe to the premium plan.

I figured out the problem, though. My Denon receiver was not passing through the full 4K metadata until I set "4K Signal Format: Enhanced" in the video settings. Presumably, the default setting ("Standard") causes problems if your TV doesn't support the additional metadata. Makes me miss the simpler days of HD.
post #82 of 102 Old 01-27-2020, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Amazon actually replaced my Cube 2. It was really failing at the end and I was getting very annoyed. They had me send it in and they had techs check it out and determined it was failing. Got a brand new one.
post #83 of 102 Old 01-27-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Amazon actually replaced my Cube 2. It was really failing at the end and I was getting very annoyed. They had me send it in and they had techs check it out and determined it was failing. Got a brand new one.
just outta curiosity, what constituted failing?
post #84 of 102 Old 01-27-2020, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Liked: 2287
I have a 4k firestick and the firetv cube 2...firetv is faster and stalls/stutter almost never.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #85 of 102 Old 01-28-2020, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saludgrind View Post
Wouldn't stay connected to the internet. It would just lock up and not do anything like it connected to my internet. I'd restart it and it would happen again after a few minutes. The last time I restarted it 5-6 times and it locked up again. When I checked in the settings it would say I was still on the network and signal was good but nothing would work. No apps would load.
post #86 of 102 Old 01-28-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saludgrind View Post
Wouldn't stay connected to the internet. It would just lock up and not do anything like it connected to my internet. I'd restart it and it would happen again after a few minutes. The last time I restarted it 5-6 times and it locked up again. When I checked in the settings it would say I was still on the network and signal was good but nothing would work. No apps would load.
yea that would be no bueno. But at least I know what to watch for
post #87 of 102 Old 01-29-2020, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Fire Cube 2 vs the Fire Stick 4K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
I also don't use Alexa at all (Mic always kept muted). But this thing is my go to recommendation for a 4k/HDR streamer at the moment. Fantastic UI, especially if you have Prime service. And it supports all of the major streaming services ar both Dolby Vision and Atmos (something the Apple TV had cornered basically until now). All for $120. It is rock solid.
On the UE just noticed when comparing with the 4K stick that the Cube has the start from beginning button, the stick does not. Edit: Stick now has watch from the beginning, not sure but new stick fired up a few yours ago and now its changed.

Haven't tried yet, but if the Cube does DV/Atmos on Netflix its worth noting that it outputs DD+ Atmos, while the Xbox One S/X and ATV4K output PCM Atmos. DD+ Atmos probably a little more compatible overall.

On the downside I have to say if you use the Cube for alarms and stuff its really good at going off in the middle of sporting event and pausing the video. No stopping this as it wants to activate the alarm on your home theater system. Very poorly thought out feature, but simple just not to use it.

Another huge positive feature I noticed were the search results on the device (have not checked stick), but on my nvidia shield pro when I search (Amazon Prime cutoff Battlestar Galactica) it came back with paying $3 per episode on Prime or buy it on Vudu. On the Cube it came back with a ton of free options with commercials. Guessing the search function on the cube is unique right now (I'll have to try the 4K stick).

I'm in the midst of comparing the video/audio fidelity (cork sniffing), so probably will post my thoughts on that before too long. Something is very, very right in that department is my initial impression. I've got ATV4K, Sony X700, Nvidia Shield Pro, Xbox One X & S, Roku Prem+ (older) also capabe of 4K prime. Anything that makes prime more user friendly and 4K searching friendly is very welcome.
beerhunt likes this.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)

Last edited by meles; 01-29-2020 at 07:54 PM.
post #88 of 102 Old 01-30-2020, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Did some quick comparsons and with the Fire TV 4K stick set to frame matching it mimics the video performance of the fire cube very closely. Basically identical and any difference surely placebo effect (I do still love the Cube.)

I'm about ready to check myself into a mental instituion from veryifying that Netflix on the cube will do Atmos and Dobly Vision in my system. In short it does trip vision and atmos flags on my TV when hooked directly to the TV. When I introduce an HD Fury AVR Key splitter that is where the mayhem begins. To be precise a five way hdmi switch before this splitter, plus on the audio out portion of the AVR Key I have another cheap hdmi signal splitter that sends the audio signal to an Oppo 203's input and the other to another five way hdmi switch before the input of my Samsung X950 sound bar. The switch on the front allows up to five DV devices to have audio split off to the soundbar and the hdmi swictch at the end allows for three options:
1. sound direct from the fire cube (or other devices)
2. sound through the Oppo hdmi input (in my system the Oppo's subwoofer analog out powers two SVS PB12-NSD subwoofers)
3. sound through an Xbox One's HDMI input which does Dolby Access App upmix to Atmos

The above is simplified but one of the main issues is Netflix on the Xbox's and the ATV4K uses PCM Atmos with Dolby Vision. The Oppo does not accept PCM Atmos on its input. In my system that means no subwoofers with Xbox and ATV4K Atmos. For "normal" Oppo users who want to use its hdmi input to split Dolby Vision from an audio signal it means they can't do it because Oppo won't handle PCM Atmos (hence why I have the $150 AVR Key splitter).

So back to why I'm ready for a rubber room:
1. Movies Anywhere and Netflix don't like to handshake in this system (all my other devices and the other fire cube apps don't have this malady). So often I'm left with Dolby Vision/Atmos flags on TV, but no Atmos on the soundbar (blue light on the Samsung X950). I've discovered that with this soundbar that if i toggle surround mode on and off it will figure out that the cube has Atmos and lock into it (blue light!). However it won't do this if the split audio signal is going through the Oppo and in fact it removes the badge on my LG TV for Atmos indicating some kind of handshake issue (good news for me is that the audio signal goes through another splitter before the Oppo and the above toggle works with flag on TV and the Oppo still sees DD+ input signal and outputs to my subwoofers; weird but very good for me). So with MA and Netflix on the cube definitely having weird handshake issues enough to drive one crazy (for the last month did not think Movies Anywhere had Atmos on Fire Cube).
2. NOW FOR THE ABSOLUTELY CRAZY, CRAZY PART. In this setup (and it may be all the time even with a simple setup), when I exit an atmos show on Netflix or Movies Anywhere the Cube still sends Atmos signal to the sound bar (the pesky blue light stays on and its never, ever done this before with any other device or app). The blue light will stay on until I play something that is 5.1 on Amazon Prime. That would be merely interesting blue light phenomena, but the crazy part is if you are on Movies Anywhere or Netflix and you select a non-Atmos track the blue light stays on and THE FIRE CUBE UPMIXES 5.1 TO ATMOS. I'm sitting here watching Alvin and the Chipmunks on Movies Anywhere and all sorts of high frequency content pouring out of my upward firing Atmos enabled drivers in my 5.1.4 Samsung sound bar.

The only thing not making me feel insane right now is the little blue light on the sound bar that means Atmos is locked in. This is very bizarre behavior to say the least, but it proves some things:
1. Fire Cube has some kind of handshake issue (and I hope they never fix it!)
2. The Fire Cube if the powers that be would agree to it can upmix to Atmos onboard. Just a huge thing for anyone with an Atmos soundbar as the native upmix modes generally are not very good (Surround on anemic on my Samsung sound bar).
3. The Fire Cube does DD+ Atmos which is a distinct advantage over PCM Atmos for device compatibility.

With Amazon doing UHD music and Atmos music now (not on fire cubes) it is clear that they could very easily not only add these new music features to the cube, but they could engage upmixing on the cube of multi-channel music (quad or above) to Atmos and add some very interesting modes for stereo music. Maddening potential here and the only thing keeping me sane through this bizarre hdmi experience is my little blue light on my soundbar telling me I'm not dreaming nor am I insane. (Alexa upmixed to Atmos )
Wesley Hester and beerhunt like this.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)

Last edited by meles; 01-30-2020 at 08:41 PM.
post #89 of 102 Old 02-04-2020, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked: 932
Just got this last night for Atmos on Netflix. Does anyone know for sure if HDR on YouTube will ever come? Love my FireStick 4K and the Cube is better but it bugs me that the Stick can do things that the Cube can’t. I also have an older version of Prime on my Cube and the newer version on my FireTV Stick. Thanks everyone!

post #90 of 102 Old 02-06-2020, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5475 Post(s)
Liked: 3748
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
Just got this last night for Atmos on Netflix. Does anyone know for sure if HDR on YouTube will ever come? Love my FireStick 4K and the Cube is better but it bugs me that the Stick can do things that the Cube can’t. I also have an older version of Prime on my Cube and the newer version on my FireTV Stick. Thanks everyone!

Do you have Vudu working on the cube? If so what version and is it playing back UHD/DV/HDR10 with Atmos?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page