Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Generation - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #91 of 102 Old 02-07-2020, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Do you have Vudu working on the cube? If so what version and is it playing back UHD/DV/HDR10 with Atmos?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Vudu is still a sideload on any Amazon device, and from my reading various Reddit discussions etc it has limited functionality. Bummer--it forces me to use my Vizio's internal Vudu app and that does provide me with DV and Atmos with movies I own, but rentals I only get HDR and Dolby + . I doubt Amazon and Walmart will ever settle this seeing as they are such fierce competitors...
shoman94 and Hetfieldjames like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 Old 02-07-2020, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
Vudu is still a sideload on any Amazon device, and from my reading various Reddit discussions etc it has limited functionality. Bummer--it forces me to use my Vizio's internal Vudu app and that does provide me with DV and Atmos with movies I own, but rentals I only get HDR and Dolby + . I doubt Amazon and Walmart will ever settle this seeing as they are such fierce competitors...
Couldn't agree more. I have to switch to the dumb Roku just for Vudu. Can't these dam companies just get along? I want Vudu on the Cube!
post #93 of 102 Old 02-11-2020, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Every morning, I have to unplug my cube. The yellow light on the bottom is flashing. I ask what are my notifications, and it says I don't have any. Any way to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 102 Old 02-11-2020, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhead2 View Post
Every morning, I have to unplug my cube. The yellow light on the bottom is flashing. I ask what are my notifications, and it says I don't have any. Any way to fix this?
Try going into the Alexa app and toggling notifications off and on. You might have to reset the cube... Painful but . .

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
post #95 of 102 Old 02-11-2020, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
I’ve got a 4K stick controlled hands free by an Echo Studio. Is there any compelling reason to upgrade to the Cube?

I’m thinking mainly in terms of speed, given the faster chip. Load times and navigation are not slow on the stick but just wondering if anyone saw a big enough difference to say it was worth changing.

7.1 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome, XBONE, Arcam UDP411, LG OLED E7V
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Firestick 4K, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite
post #96 of 102 Old 02-11-2020, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post
I’ve got a 4K stick controlled hands free by an Echo Studio. Is there any compelling reason to upgrade to the Cube?

I’m thinking mainly in terms of speed, given the faster chip. Load times and navigation are not slow on the stick but just wondering if anyone saw a big enough difference to say it was worth changing.

I have both, I don't really see a difference unless you want Atmos for Netflix. It is unknown what other apps will support Atmos compared to the Stick. If you don't have Atmos at all then I would definitely say the Stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sutton8 likes this.
post #97 of 102 Old 02-19-2020, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Considering purchasing

I just read through the entire thread which is actually quite short compared to others. I'm planning on buying a streamer just for Netflix DV/Atmos. I currently have an ATV 4K but have issues with Netflix Atmos randomly switching center channel sounds to the surrounds back and forth. Annoying to say the least. Not sure if it's an Apple problem or a Netflix problem. Anyway I have just a few questions.
1. How well does the Cube do Netflix with DV/Atmos?
2. Will it work with a Harmony One remote which is IR?
3. I see it comes with an Ethernet adaptor. How well does that work?
I was leaning towards a Nvidia shield, but it is way more than I need and at twice the price.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #98 of 102 Old 02-19-2020, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
I use a different universal remote (URC MX-900) that only sends an IR signal. The Amazon Cube does NOT have an IR receiver.
It can be used with an IR remote by using an adapter like the FLIRC or Inteset IReTV USB IR Receiver . They both connect to the USB input on the Cube, which means you can't use it for a network connection. If you have good wi-fi signal you shouldn't need a wired connection.
I use the FLIRC and it works fine for me, but there are some quirks. I was using HULU Live TV for my 'cable' channels, but the select/enter button did not work for that app, which was a big problem. I tried the Inteset and it also didn't work. I switched to Sling and it works fine. In the AmPrime app the 'go to next' popup at the end of an episode goes to X-ray if I hit enter, but I can choose the 'option' and then select 'next episode' and it works fine.
Bottom line is that you can use your IR remote, but you will need the adapters (and an OTG cable) to make it work and there are some quirks.

The ROKU 4K ultra does accept IR, but I don't know if it meets your other needs for Atmos, etc., but might be worth a look and is comparable in price to the Cube.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #99 of 102 Old 02-19-2020, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3999 Post(s)
Liked: 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
Harmony can only control FireTV with bluetooth, Ir does not work. However the FTV may respond well to CEC commands from your TV or AVR.
Quote:
Very well, better than WiFi for most people.
post #100 of 102 Old 02-19-2020, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
I use a different universal remote (URC MX-900) that only sends an IR signal. The Amazon Cube does NOT have an IR receiver.
It can be used with an IR remote by using an adapter like the FLIRC or Inteset IReTV USB IR Receiver . They both connect to the USB input on the Cube, which means you can't use it for a network connection. If you have good wi-fi signal you shouldn't need a wired connection.
I use the FLIRC and it works fine for me, but there are some quirks. I was using HULU Live TV for my 'cable' channels, but the select/enter button did not work for that app, which was a big problem. I tried the Inteset and it also didn't work. I switched to Sling and it works fine. In the AmPrime app the 'go to next' popup at the end of an episode goes to X-ray if I hit enter, but I can choose the 'option' and then select 'next episode' and it works fine.
Bottom line is that you can use your IR remote, but you will need the adapters (and an OTG cable) to make it work and there are some quirks.

The ROKU 4K ultra does accept IR, but I don't know if it meets your other needs for Atmos, etc., but might be worth a look and is comparable in price to the Cube.
Thanks for the reply. I can make this work as long as my WiFi holds up. If not, I'll just have to sacrifice and use the Cube remote. The Roku currently does not meet my Atmos needs. I'll also have to get the FLIRC which someone else suggested to me for the Shield which I decided was overkill for my streaming needs.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #101 of 102 Old 02-19-2020, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Harmony can only control FireTV with bluetooth, Ir does not work. However the FTV may respond well to CEC commands from your TV or AVR.

Very well, better than WiFi for most people.
I may try it with CEC, but I know that can lead to other problems at times. Guess I'll first try Wifi and if that works well I can always add an IR adaptor. If Wifi is too spotty, I'll just suffer and use two remotes and use the micro usb for an ethernet adaptor. I only need this for Netflix so it shouldn't be a huge inconvenience. Thanks

Last edited by pappaduke; 02-19-2020 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Add additional information
post #102 of 102 Old 02-23-2020, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank you

Just want to thank everyone that answered my questions about the Fire TV Cube. Received my Cube on Friday, my Flirc on Saturday and the micro usb adaptor cable today. My WiFi has had no hiccups, and my Harmony One is working as expected.
I simply love the fact that there are some many people on this forum that are willing to help and share knowledge.
I know personally I answer questions when ever I can. As they say, “Pay it forward”.
Again, thanks to all that responded.
Hetfieldjames likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page