Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Generation - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #121 of 145 Old 04-21-2020, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Weird Disney+ issue

I guess I will start here...

I just setup my 2nd gen cube as a replacement for an older fireTV. I got the new cube due to getting a new reciever and projector setup (BenQ 3550, Denon 3600). I am getting Atmos in Netflix (couldn't find something to test on prime yet, but Altered Carbon on Netflix sends a true Atmos signal). But on Disney+ if I try to watch anything uhd/atmos I get no video or sound. But I can control it (ff, rewind, etc, thumbnails show). If I go up to audio options and switch it to another language or descriptive everything works (including HDR as best as I can tell). Problem is it does this on ANY dolby format I set on the cube. I would prefer to leave it on best available, and no way am I just using stereo full time. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 145 Old 04-22-2020, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4982 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shufflefield View Post
I guess I will start here...

I just setup my 2nd gen cube as a replacement for an older fireTV. I got the new cube due to getting a new reciever and projector setup (BenQ 3550, Denon 3600). I am getting Atmos in Netflix (couldn't find something to test on prime yet, but Altered Carbon on Netflix sends a true Atmos signal). But on Disney+ if I try to watch anything uhd/atmos I get no video or sound. But I can control it (ff, rewind, etc, thumbnails show). If I go up to audio options and switch it to another language or descriptive everything works (including HDR as best as I can tell). Problem is it does this on ANY dolby format I set on the cube. I would prefer to leave it on best available, and no way am I just using stereo full time. Any ideas?
That's strange about the video. Could be a bandwidth issue with the HDMI cable to your projector and how the Cube is sending signaling on the Disney app. HDMI is finicky at long lengths. However, Disney+ seems to have dropped their Atmos feed saying it's COVID-19 related and that they are releaving internet strain.

Weird that other streaming platforms don't seem to have an issue delivering 4k and Atmos during a pandemic.

As for Prime... check out Carnival Row. Our very own FilmMixer worked on the Atmos track and it's really good... it even has unlocked 3D objects if you're a Trinnov Altitude owner or even someone with a 9.1.4 or greater Atmos processor from another brand.

The other test for HDMI cabling issues is something like Gemini Man on 4k Blu-ray since it's 60p and with HDR. That can be a strain on long HDMI cables.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 04-22-2020 at 05:46 AM.
post #123 of 145 Old 04-22-2020, 06:00 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
That's strange about the video. Could be a bandwidth issue with the HDMI cable to your projector and how the Cube is sending signaling on the Disney app. HDMI is finicky at long lengths. However, Disney+ seems to have dropped their Atmos feed saying it's COVID-19 related and that they are releaving internet strain.

Weird that other streaming platforms don't seem to have an issue delivering 4k and Atmos during a pandemic.

As for Prime... check out Carnival Row. Our very own FilmMixer worked on the Atmos track and it's really good... it even has unlocked 3D objects if you're a Trinnov Altitude owner or even someone with a 9.1.4 or greater Atmos processor from another brand.

The other test for HDMI cabling issues is something like Gemini Man on 4k Blu-ray since it's 60p and with HDR. That can be a strain on long HDMI cables.
Thank you sir, I was just coming back here to say - crisis averted. I just did a quick check and now everything suddenly works. So maybe Disney just sucks (shocker). It's showing Atmos now but I didn't have my phone handy to check the actual signal. The fact that it is usable is good enough for me at the mo.

I was worried about the cable when I was swapping in the new stuff, it would be a pain to rerun but thankfully I don't think that will be an issue. I apparently sprung out the big bucks when I had a local company run it during my remodel a few years ago. It's actually an HDMI with ethernet rated cable, and the total run is about 25ft.

I will check out Gemini Man because I am the kind of person that likes to look for problems with my setup then drive myself crazy trying to fix them. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 145 Old 05-05-2020, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Wake from Sleep - HDR/Color Saturation Issues

Hi all,

Just taken delivery of a new 2nd Gen Fire TV Cube. It's running:

Software Version: Fire OS 7.2.1.2 (PS7212/1296)
Fire TV Home Version: 6220057.1
Connected via a new Certified Premium HDMI cable to a Denon AVR-X1500H
Denon AVR-X1500H connected via Certified Premium HDMI cable to LG OLED65B7A
This 2nd Gen Cube has replaced a 4K Fire TV Stick

Display settings in the Fire TV Cube:

Resolution: Auto (up to 4K Ultra HD)
Match Original Frame Rate: On
Color Depth: Up to 12 bits
Color Format: Auto
Calibrate Display: 1% Scale
Dynamic Range Settings: Adaptive

These settings worked great with the 4K TV Stick, however, the 2nd Gen Cube seems to have issues. Specifically: Upon resuming from sleep, the color saturation settings seemed to be locked in some kind of HDR-like mode. I can replicate the issue by simply pulling the HDMI cable out, and plugging back in. It seems like some kind of HDMI handshake issue. Again, this did not occur with the 4K Fire TV Stick.

(Assuming this image uploads), as you can see from the photo (not amazing quality, but you get the idea), you can see the difference between the same snippet from when the Fire TV has been restarted (Left) and when it's resumed from sleep (right). Definitely a change.

The only way to resolve this, is by switching Dynamic Range Settings from "Adaptive" to "Always HDR" and then back again. Or, perform a restart of the device from settings.

I've replicated the issue with 3 HDMI cables and different HDMI ports on the Denon AVR-X1500H. I haven't tested the issue bypassing the Denon and going straight from Cube to LG, but I will later for completeness.

Is anyone else seeing this? Is it a known issue? Is there a fix?

What's the best way to get support? Amazon Forum, or contact support? I raised a post here: https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...uration-issues.

Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colors.png
Views:	358
Size:	559.5 KB
ID:	2721590  
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #125 of 145 Old 05-05-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcspirit View Post
Hi all,

Just taken delivery of a new 2nd Gen Fire TV Cube. It's running:

Software Version: Fire OS 7.2.1.2 (PS7212/1296)
Fire TV Home Version: 6220057.1
Connected via a new Certified Premium HDMI cable to a Denon AVR-X1500H
Denon AVR-X1500H connected via Certified Premium HDMI cable to LG OLED65B7A
This 2nd Gen Cube has replaced a 4K Fire TV Stick

Display settings in the Fire TV Cube:

Resolution: Auto (up to 4K Ultra HD)
Match Original Frame Rate: On
Color Depth: Up to 12 bits
Color Format: Auto
Calibrate Display: 1% Scale
Dynamic Range Settings: Adaptive

These settings worked great with the 4K TV Stick, however, the 2nd Gen Cube seems to have issues. Specifically: Upon resuming from sleep, the color saturation settings seemed to be locked in some kind of HDR-like mode. I can replicate the issue by simply pulling the HDMI cable out, and plugging back in. It seems like some kind of HDMI handshake issue. Again, this did not occur with the 4K Fire TV Stick.

(Assuming this image uploads), as you can see from the photo (not amazing quality, but you get the idea), you can see the difference between the same snippet from when the Fire TV has been restarted (Left) and when it's resumed from sleep (right). Definitely a change.

The only way to resolve this, is by switching Dynamic Range Settings from "Adaptive" to "Always HDR" and then back again. Or, perform a restart of the device from settings.

I've replicated the issue with 3 HDMI cables and different HDMI ports on the Denon AVR-X1500H. I haven't tested the issue bypassing the Denon and going straight from Cube to LG, but I will later for completeness.

Is anyone else seeing this? Is it a known issue? Is there a fix?

What's the best way to get support? Amazon Forum, or contact support? I raised a post here: https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...uration-issues.

Thanks...
To add further information, with the Fire TV Cube just sat at the Home screen, looking at the HDMI information on my Denon AVR-X1500H (Setup -> General -> Information -> Video -> HDMI Signal), after a restart (or after switching Dynamic Range Settings from "Adaptive" to "Always HDR" and then back again), the HDMI Signal information on the Denon shows:

Resolution: 4K:60Hz
HDR: ---
Color Space: YCbCr 4:4:4
Pixel Depth: 8bits

However, after resuming from sleep, (or to simulate, pulling out the HDMI cable and plugging back in), the HDMI signal information on the Denon shows:

BT. 2020

A restart, (or after switching Dynamic Range Settings from "Adaptive" to "Always HDR" and then back again) removes the BT. 2020 color space and everything looks normal again.

Amazon are sending me a replacement device, so it'll be interesting to see if this is device specific...

One other thing I've noticed is, no matter what i change the Fire TV settings to (color depth, color format), it doesn't seem to change the HDMI Signal Information on the Denon. It's the same for the Fire TV Stick 4K too, however on the 4K Stick, the Color Space is YCbCr 4:2:2 and the pixel depth is 12bits. Would have expected the Cube to support the same or better....
post #126 of 145 Old 05-09-2020, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Generation

Still no word on HDR working with its Yourube app? Do we know why this is the case, is it a codec issue, or some sort of dispute between Amazon & Google?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #127 of 145 Old 05-09-2020, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzerrelli View Post
Still no word on HDR working with its Yourube app? Do we know why this is the case, is it a codec issue, or some sort of dispute between Amazon & Google?

I just recently found out that even though the stick does work with HDR in YouTube, it sends it out wrong. The colors are all muted compared to other devices that properly output HDR with YouTube. So who knows.

post #128 of 145 Old 05-11-2020, 02:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
To add further information, with the Fire TV Cube just sat at the Home screen, looking at the HDMI information on my Denon AVR-X1500H (Setup -> General -> Information -> Video -> HDMI Signal), after a restart (or after switching Dynamic Range Settings from "Adaptive" to "Always HDR" and then back again), the HDMI Signal information on the Denon shows:

However, after resuming from sleep, (or to simulate, pulling out the HDMI cable and plugging back in), the HDMI signal information on the Denon shows:

BT. 2020

A restart, (or after switching Dynamic Range Settings from "Adaptive" to "Always HDR" and then back again) removes the BT. 2020 color space and everything looks normal again.

Amazon are sending me a replacement device, so it'll be interesting to see if this is device specific...

One other thing I've noticed is, no matter what i change the Fire TV settings to (color depth, color format), it doesn't seem to change the HDMI Signal Information on the Denon. It's the same for the Fire TV Stick 4K too, however on the 4K Stick, the Color Space is YCbCr 4:2:2 and the pixel depth is 12bits. Would have expected the Cube to support the same or better....
Hi Matt,

I have exactly the same issue you have. I have a Sony TV (2018) and a Denon Receiver (2017\2018).

I was wondering did you get a replacement yet and if so did it fix the issue?

Sincerely.

Mark
post #129 of 145 Old 05-11-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Mark View Post
Hi Matt,

I have exactly the same issue you have. I have a Sony TV (2018) and a Denon Receiver (2017\2018).

Sincerely.

Mark
Hi Mark,

It hasn't arrived yet, all Prime deliveries are taking longer at the moment - it's due on Thursday. I have zero expectations that this is a hardware fault, and will be very surprised if the same bug isn't present on the new unit. Still, I have my 4K Stick that I'm using as the backup for now, so I can wait until it's fixed in firmware.

I'll be sure to report back to the thread, and to Amazon support, as soon as I get the new unit.

Thanks!
post #130 of 145 Old 05-12-2020, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I’m having an issue with my fire cube losing signal with my LG CX Oled. I have to unplug the HDMI and reconnect to get the signal back. anyone else having handshake issues?

post #131 of 145 Old 05-15-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Hi Matt,

Sincerely.

Mark

Hey Mark - bad news I'm afraid, the new unit arrived today, and looks like it's suffering from the same issue. I'm doing some more tests, in particular going directly from Cube to LG TV, cutting out the Denon. All seems fine without the Denon in play, however I need to 100% confirm through a secret HDMI signal info page on the LG, just to 100% check that BT. 2020 isn't being sent after handshake.

I've gone direct to the LG with the same HDMI cable I previously used to go from Cube -> Denon and all was fine. I've also tested Cube -> TV with the same cable that was previously going Denon -> LG, just to check cabling wasn't an issue, and no matter what cable I use (all cables are Premium HDMI, Monoprice, short runs) if i go direct from Cube -> LG, all appears fine.

Something funky between Cube and Denon is happening that didn't happen with the 4K Stick...

More to follow...

Last edited by mattmcspirit; 05-15-2020 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Typo & wrong quote
post #132 of 145 Old 05-15-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Hey Mark - bad news I'm afraid, the new unit arrived today, and looks like it's suffering from the same issue. I'm doing some more tests, in particular going directly from Cube to LG TV, cutting out the Denon. All seems fine without the Denon in play, however I need to 100% confirm through a secret HDMI signal info page on the LG, just to 100% check that BT. 2020 isn't being sent after handshake.

I've gone direct to the LG with the same HDMI cable I previously used to go from Cube -> Denon and all was fine. I've also tested Cube -> TV with the same cable that was previously going Denon -> LG, just to check cabling wasn't an issue, and no matter what cable I use (all cables are Premium HDMI, Monoprice, short runs) if i go direct from Cube -> LG, all appears fine.

Something funky between Cube and Denon is happening that didn't happen with the 4K Stick...

More to follow...
Hi Matt,

Thank you! I'm also not surprised to hear that the new Cube would have the same issues. But as you have discovered it probably is an issue with how the Denon is handling the signal.

I also have an Apple TV 4K and it has no issues at all going through the Denon to the Sony TV.

I could leave the Cube in the Dolby Vision setting, but I find it too dim on older shows that I might watch (i.e. ST:TNG, etc.). I have gotten used to going to Settings -> Display & Sounds -> Display -> Dynamic Range Settings -> Always HDR -> Cancel. Lol, a lot of steps, but I found it to be faster than a restart.

I'm thinking of going back to the 4K Stick, as Amazon basically has nothing in Dolby Vision and I watch Netflix Dolby Vision with the Apple TV 4K.

Let me know what you decide.

Mark
post #133 of 145 Old 05-15-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Hi Matt,

Thank you! I'm also not surprised to hear that the new Cube would have the same issues. But as you have discovered it probably is an issue with how the Denon is handling the signal.

I also have an Apple TV 4K and it has no issues at all going through the Denon to the Sony TV.

I could leave the Cube in the Dolby Vision setting, but I find it too dim on older shows that I might watch (i.e. ST:TNG, etc.). I have gotten used to going to Settings -> Display & Sounds -> Display -> Dynamic Range Settings -> Always HDR -> Cancel. Lol, a lot of steps, but I found it to be faster than a restart.

I'm thinking of going back to the 4K Stick, as Amazon basically has nothing in Dolby Vision and I watch Netflix Dolby Vision with the Apple TV 4K.

Mark

Yeah, I thought about leaving it on ‘Always HDR’ but everything that’s not HDR/DV content looks so saturated, it would just drive me nuts and the settings change each time isn’t wife-friendly.

I only really got the Cube because I had an old Fire TV 4K (the thin square one) that I could trade in for 20% off a new Cube. I use a VPN app on the Fire TV and also we have the Fire TV Recast for OTA TV, which are some of the key reasons why I won’t go for Apple TV (don’t want to jailbreak) but if they sorted those, I’d go for the ATV. Once this issue is resolved, and the Vudu app eventually comes to Fire TV OS, the Cube will be great...

I’ll keep you posted when I tackle Amazon support on Monday - I’m hopeful the info and testing I give them will fix it for everyone with a Denon/Cube combo.

post #134 of 145 Old 05-17-2020, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Can anyone with a Harmony remote confirm if the Cube is back to normal with it? I know it had problems with Hulu and a couple of other apps. I returned it but I am thinking about getting it again. Thanks!

post #135 of 145 Old 05-17-2020, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good Evening. Been struggling with my new 4k Fire Cube all afternoon. Im hoping somebody could help.

Im trying to get an alexa fire TV cube to work with my receiver(denon s740h) - as it states it is alexa compatible. When I plug the fire cube into one of the HDMI ports, the cube device seemed to setup and work fine. As soon as I change the inputs through alexa/cube, I see the input change on the receiver -- However it never displays the output, and eventually switches to the 'TV' input(which has nothing on it). I tried several other inputs with no luck. Using the remote to change inputs wont help either. I eventually do get back to the fire device and it seems it did not sync properly, the picture is skewed. If I remove the firecube it works fine. Any idea why this is or what I can try?
post #136 of 145 Old 05-18-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Hi Matt,

Mark
Hey - chatted with Amazon support this morning, and they've acknowledged it as a known issue with 'the HDR feature' and that engineers were working on a fix. I'll just stay tuned with this for now and wait and see what happens. I did add a bit more info to my support post here: https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...uration-issues after testing with my other Denon receiver, a slightly older AVR-X6400H. Same issue.

Hopefully it'll be fixed soon!
post #137 of 145 Old 05-18-2020, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
Can anyone with a Harmony remote confirm if the Cube is back to normal with it? I know it had problems with Hulu and a couple of other apps. I returned it but I am thinking about getting it again. Thanks!

Cube works fine with my harmony remote now. All apps are working as expected.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" Screen, FireTV Cube (2nd Gen), Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, PSA and Def Tech Speakers
post #138 of 145 Old 05-18-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Cube works fine with my harmony remote now. All apps are working as expected.

Good to hear, thank you!

fredxr2d2 likes this.
post #139 of 145 Old 05-18-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Hey - chatted with Amazon support this morning, and they've acknowledged it as a known issue with 'the HDR feature' and that engineers were working on a fix. I'll just stay tuned with this for now and wait and see what happens. I did add a bit more info to my support post here: https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...uration-issues after testing with my other Denon receiver, a slightly older AVR-X6400H. Same issue.

Hi Matt,

That's fantastic! Maybe one day it will be fixed, lol. That's the same AVR I have.

Thank you for the follow-up.

Mark

Last edited by Sir_Mark; 05-18-2020 at 07:46 PM.
post #140 of 145 Old 05-19-2020, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hope this is the best place to ask this (fairly new to AVS)....

I bought a Fire TV Cube about 9 months ago. Worked great when it worked but it would occasionally drop the audio. I contacted them and finally got them to exchange it for another. Worked great for the last 5 months and now is dropping audio again. This can be resolved by power cycling the Cube but it's a pain. I do have the latest firmware. Anyone else find a fix for this or should I just contact them again?
post #141 of 145 Old 05-19-2020, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Oh, should have added... when the audio-dropping problem returned, it was about the same time as I started seeing duplicate icons in the Setup menu. I found posts that said factory reset would resolve the double icons and it did for awhile. They're back.
post #142 of 145 Old 05-19-2020, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
How does the latest firetv cube compare to appletv 4k for Netflix playback in particular and other apps in general? Can’t somebody comment?

Thanks
post #143 of 145 Old 05-23-2020, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2653 Post(s)
Liked: 2026
Quote:

I was actually just coming to post this same issue. I, however, do not have a Denon but instead am using an Arcam AVR390. Same thing happens. If I restart the Cube then color is normal (not BT.2020). But if the Cube goes to sleep or I play an HDR show that uses BT.2020, the Cube stays outputting BT.2020 no matter what content I watch until I restart it.

It's not a huge issue for me, but it does make skin tones a little neonish.
post #144 of 145 Old 05-23-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
I was actually just coming to post this same issue. I, however, do not have a Denon but instead am using an Arcam AVR390. Same thing happens. If I restart the Cube then color is normal (not BT.2020). But if the Cube goes to sleep or I play an HDR show that uses BT.2020, the Cube stays outputting BT.2020 no matter what content I watch until I restart it.

It's not a huge issue for me, but it does make skin tones a little neonish.

I’m kind of glad it’s not just a Denon thing, as perhaps they’ll address it a little more quickly if it’s more widespread. That said, the Cube took an update yesterday, but unfortunately the problem remains.

post #145 of 145 Old Today, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got one of these again. I’ve tried them all recently and I find the Cube to be the closest to having everything. I don’t do Plex though so I have no input there. It has Atmos and Dolby Vision on all apps that support it except the Apple TV app (but only the ATV supports Atmos with it). I just hope they fix the stock YouTube HDR. I believe Vudu will come sometime as WalMart doesn’t own it anymore but it could be a while.

Wesley Hester likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page