Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Generation - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 163 Old 06-16-2020, 03:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Any idea if they will be releasing a fire cube 3 anytime soon? Maybe they could resolve some of the issue in a new model 🤣. I have been considering getting a version 2 cube but after hearing about the issues ....thinking maybe not

Home Theater System Denon X8500H, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, Polk RTi A1 Rear Heights, Polk 70RT Middle In-Ceiling, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, JVC DLA-RS1000, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, Panasonic UB9000, Dish Hopper 3
Phillihp23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 163 Old 06-16-2020, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JJHXBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sandpoint, ID
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillihp23 View Post
Maybe they could resolve some of the issue in a new model 🤣. I have been considering getting a version 2 cube but after hearing about the issues ....thinking maybe not
You might be better off waiting. I have another 15 days or so to return my cube and maybe sending it back if I can't get a simple thing like a network app to sign in. Still can't believe both my Firesticks work but the cube doesn't.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K 4X M7 surround speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs
Processor - Marantz 8805 - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI - Oppo BDP-103+203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 64TB - QNAP TR-004 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8
JJHXBR is offline  
post #153 of 163 Old 06-17-2020, 02:14 AM
Member
 
killakobe81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post
I have a new Fire Cube which is working fine except I can't get the ABC or NBC app to sign in with my TV provider (Dish) no matter what I do. I have tried all the tips suggested by ABC and NBC and still nothing works. I have two other Firestcks on other TV's and I have no problem signing in or out with them. The problem seems to be with only the cube. The cube is setup on my main TV (LG 65" OLED C8) to replace one of the other Firesticks which has run out of storage space for apps.

Anybody else have any problems signing into apps on the Firecube?
I do not have that issue...but i cant get Disney plus to play on my Cube but it plays finecon my 4kfirestick and my xbox. I will day nflic and prime video look great bit weird that it wont play 4k star wars or Marvel.


Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
killakobe81 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #154 of 163 Old 06-17-2020, 02:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,495
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1986 Post(s)
Liked: 1276
I have not had any trouble playing any app. I did have my first Cube 2nd gen replaced because it actually did fail. The only app. That doesn't work right is Vudu but that is not supported and was side loaded. I really freaking wish Vudu and Amazon would get along here.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is offline  
post #155 of 163 Old 06-17-2020, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JJHXBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sandpoint, ID
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Well the cube is going back. Contacted Amazon Fire TV Support and did a total factory reset and still doesn't let me sign in on the ABC or NBC app. Will take my working 4K Fire Stick and put it back on my main TV. Really wished the cube had worked! Will now most likely go for the pricey Shield Pro or wait until the new models come out.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K 4X M7 surround speakers - Atmos speakers 4X M&K M5's - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs
Processor - Marantz 8805 - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Denon AVR 4810CI - Oppo BDP-103+203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 64TB - QNAP TR-004 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8
JJHXBR is offline  
post #156 of 163 Old 06-20-2020, 01:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Mine went back as well... as much as I wanted to keep it... its just so damn buggy and inconsistent. We have like 8 Firestick 4Ks in the house and they are all rock solid.

Was just looking at something with a little more horsepower for some larger UHD files streaming thru the Plex app via my Synology NAS. Seemed to work fine for that but there were all sorts of issues with individual apps AND we had to manually restart (unplug) the thing every other day as it would just lock up and become totally unresponsive.

Tried two separate units and experienced the same issues.

Very much first word problems but sure hope they can figure things out as it has so much potential.
Matt68061 is offline  
post #157 of 163 Old 06-29-2020, 04:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I got my Cube a couple of weeks ago to replace on older Fire TV 4k (the square one). With the Fire TV I got Atmos on Amazon Prime but nothing else. With the new Cube I get Atmos on Prime and Netflix but not on Disney+. My understanding is that Disney+ should be in Atmos on the Cube or is that incorrect?

Edit: It also looks like it won't play 4k anything. The Fire TV 4k plays Disney+ in 4k with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames likes this.

Last edited by ojonas; 06-29-2020 at 08:05 PM.
ojonas is offline  
post #158 of 163 Old 07-01-2020, 04:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojonas View Post
I got my Cube a couple of weeks ago to replace on older Fire TV 4k (the square one). With the Fire TV I got Atmos on Amazon Prime but nothing else. With the new Cube I get Atmos on Prime and Netflix but not on Disney+. My understanding is that Disney+ should be in Atmos on the Cube or is that incorrect?

Edit: It also looks like it won't play 4k anything. The Fire TV 4k plays Disney+ in 4k with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Update to this. Connected the cube to another tv and sure enough, it lists movies in 4k and Atmos on it. No matter how I connect the cube to the main tv it won't show 4k or Atmos. Tried both via the receiver and directly to the tv. Same setup works with 4k and Atmos for both Netflix and Prime. What's going on here?

Follow up question, does Disney only stream Atmos if also 4k. If you only get HD, no Atmos?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
ojonas is offline  
post #159 of 163 Old 07-02-2020, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
zrdb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 800
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Might I make a suggestion that I made quite awhile ago in the 2019 Shield thread? Consider getting an Odroid N2, be aware that it's an sbc-not an android box. It can run android, many different flavors of linux but the best thing is Coreelec which is basically a minimal linux with Kodi built in. I replaced my old 2015 Shield with an N2 last October and have never looked back, sold my old Shield to somebody for $100. I love my N2-best playback device I've ever had and believe me I've had quite a few over the years.
zrdb is offline  
post #160 of 163 Old 07-09-2020, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
blade005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Amazon Adds a New OTA Feature to Fire TV Cube
by Tmera Hepburn - Cord Cutters News - July 9, 2020

Amazon has added a new tuner integration feature to its Fire TV Cube that allows viewers to tune into OTA TV. Viewers in select countries, including the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Germany and France, can access over-the-air channels and even use Alexa as a voice remote.

Watch over the air content will require customers to attach a separate OTA tuner.

How to set up your Fire TV Cube OTA Tuner
  • Head to the Fire TV Settings menut under Equipment Control
  • Select “Manage Equipment”, followed by “Add Equipment,” then “Live TV
  • Follow the on screen instructions to complete the setup.

Once connected, users can turn to a channel by saying, “Alexa to tune into channel (number) on TV.” You can also say the name of your favorite channel instead of the number.

This is the latest in a series of recent Amazon updates. Earlier, Amazon announced that the YouTube Kids app is now available on Fire TV devices. The app was designed to be easy for kids to interact with, with simple menus, fun graphics, and larger buttons.

Additionally, on Wednesday Amazon announced that it is improving its live TV viewing experience for Fire TV by more deeply integrating Hulu with Live TV, YouTube TV, and Sling TV. With integration into Fire TV’s live experience, live content from each of the streaming services will be added to Fire TV’s live TV discovery features including the Live Tab, On Now Rows, and the multi-app Channel Guide.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/amaz...-fire-tv-cube/

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
blade005 is offline  
post #161 of 163 Old 07-10-2020, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,823
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
Amazon Adds a New OTA Feature to Fire TV Cube
by Tmera Hepburn - Cord Cutters News - July 9, 2020

Amazon has added a new tuner integration feature to its Fire TV Cube that allows viewers to tune into OTA TV. Viewers in select countries, including the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Germany and France, can access over-the-air channels and even use Alexa as a voice remote.

Watch over the air content will require customers to attach a separate OTA tuner.

How to set up your Fire TV Cube OTA Tuner
  • Head to the Fire TV Settings menut under Equipment Control
  • Select “Manage Equipment”, followed by “Add Equipment,” then “Live TV
  • Follow the on screen instructions to complete the setup.

Once connected, users can turn to a channel by saying, “Alexa to tune into channel (number) on TV.” You can also say the name of your favorite channel instead of the number.

This is the latest in a series of recent Amazon updates. Earlier, Amazon announced that the YouTube Kids app is now available on Fire TV devices. The app was designed to be easy for kids to interact with, with simple menus, fun graphics, and larger buttons.

Additionally, on Wednesday Amazon announced that it is improving its live TV viewing experience for Fire TV by more deeply integrating Hulu with Live TV, YouTube TV, and Sling TV. With integration into Fire TV’s live experience, live content from each of the streaming services will be added to Fire TV’s live TV discovery features including the Live Tab, On Now Rows, and the multi-app Channel Guide.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/amaz...-fire-tv-cube/
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the ota tuner is an amazon creation? Oh it’s through your tv.
keeper is offline  
post #162 of 163 Old 07-10-2020, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
blade005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the ota tuner is an amazon creation? Oh it’s through your tv.
I don't have a Fire Cube, only Fire TV 4K Stick devices. But, I am assuming they mean a network OTA tuner like the Silicon Dust HDHomeRun.
keeper likes this.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
blade005 is offline  
post #163 of 163 Old Today, 05:17 AM
Member
 
TomHoang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have had this Cube since January, and I just realized how terribly it upscales 1080p and lower content. I recently bought the Sony X900H TV and compared it's built in apps to those of the Fire TV Cube, and the videos from Cube's apps are noticeably more processed. It's most apparent when I watch the ESPN app and standard-def content from Disney+. I also notice the difference if I pixel peep in Youtube as well. Basically, the image looks like you are turning on noise reduction or edge enhancement all the way up. Before you ask, yes, my settings are consistent across all of my TV's inputs, and the Cube is set to Auto at 4K60Hz. I watched an episode of the 90s Spider-man cartoon on Disney+, and while on the Sony TV app it looked as it should with perfect clarity, the Fire TV Cube's version had a much more processed image with less detail, kinda like you smothered Vaseline over the entire screen.

I actually love everything about the Cube and would like to keep using it, but now that I've seen the difference in picture quality, I can't unsee it
TomHoang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off