Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Generation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #1 of 102 Old 10-20-2019, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked: 1886
Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Generation

Just picked one up yesterday to replace an Apple TV 4k due to inconsistent Amazon Prime Atmos/HDR support. Absolutely loving it so far. I get consistent and accurate HDR10/Dolby Vision/Atmos support on Amazon titles AND Netflix (including Atmos support on Netflix). It is super fast and responsive. Cost $50 less than the Apple TV 4k. The Refresh Rate Match setting is very nice (currently seems like only Amazon titles are supporting it).

I did a quick search and didn't find an owners thread. Is it just too new, do people mostly go for the Fire TV Stick, or am I missing something?
meles and Hetfieldjames like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 10-20-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Just picked one up yesterday to replace an Apple TV 4k due to inconsistent Amazon Prime Atmos/HDR support. Absolutely loving it so far. I get consistent and accurate HDR10/Dolby Vision/Atmos support on Amazon titles AND Netflix (including Atmos support on Netflix). It is super fast and responsive. Cost $50 less than the Apple TV 4k. The Refresh Rate Match setting is very nice (currently seems like only Amazon titles are supporting it).

I did a quick search and didn't find an owners thread. Is it just too new, do people mostly go for the Fire TV Stick, or am I missing something?
Oh man yeah I love this thing. It's so fast to do anything. AT&T TV Now looks absolutely incredible through it. Very glad I pre-ordered one. I'm glad there is an owners thread now too.
meles likes this.
post #3 of 102 Old 10-29-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
I tried the Fire TV Stick and then the 1st Gen Cube. The 2nd Gen Cube is much faster as far as menu navigation and the like. I was getting decent "live tv" image quality with ATT TV Now, but I dropped it for Youtube TV. Image seemed about the same until last night when for some reason it seemed like the resolution became clearly and convincingly better. Not sure what was going on.

The heavily frequented threads in this forum section are for Apple TV, Nvidia, Roku, and even Dune(?). I suppose users are interested in more than "cable replacement" streaming. I simply need to be able to watch "live tv", Prime, Netflix, ESPN+, and a few other apps. If there's a better alternative, then I didn't come across it.
meles likes this.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 102 Old 10-29-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
I tried the Fire TV Stick and then the 1st Gen Cube. The 2nd Gen Cube is much faster as far as menu navigation and the like. I was getting decent "live tv" image quality with ATT TV Now, but I dropped it for Youtube TV. Image seemed about the same until last night when for some reason it seemed like the resolution became clearly and convincingly better. Not sure what was going on.

The heavily frequented threads in this forum section are for Apple TV, Nvidia, Roku, and even Dune(?). I suppose users are interested in more than "cable replacement" streaming. I simply need to be able to watch "live tv", Prime, Netflix, ESPN+, and a few other apps. If there's a better alternative, then I didn't come across it.
I want to go YouTube TV from AT&T TV Now but they don't have 5.1 sound right? As soon as they go to 5.1 sound for Live TV I'm in.
dwaleke likes this.
post #5 of 102 Old 10-29-2019, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Same. I just wanted the best player that will handle HDR and Dolby Atmos for the main streaming channels (Netflix and Amazon) without issue or sacrifice. ATV almost had it but Amazon Prime HDR titles were hit and miss (for instance, Jack Ryan is Dolby Vision but Prime on ATV would only ever show it as HDR10). ATV had the leg-up as they were one of the few that supported Atmos on Netflix.

However, with the 2nd Gen Fire Cube now supporting Atmos on Netflix and having the right/native HDR support of their own prime titles....it's a no brainer for me!
meles likes this.
post #6 of 102 Old 10-29-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 344
I don't stream in my home theater, so I only need a proper disc spinner with dual-hdmi outputs.

As for my TV den, well, I still have my trusty Panny VT60. I'll become curious about UltraHD panel displays at some point.

I never gave that any thought to surround sound with respect to YouTube TV. I watch little "live television"- some cable news and sports.
Hetfieldjames likes this.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
post #7 of 102 Old 10-29-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't stream in my home theater, so I only need a proper disc spinner with dual-hdmi outputs.

As for my TV den, well, I still have my trusty Panny VT60. I'll become curious about UltraHD panel displays at some point.

I never gave that any thought to surround sound with respect to YouTube TV. I watch little "live television"- some cable news and sports.
Thanks, I may switch anyway. There are 2 channels I'd miss from ATT TV Now but 2 I'd gain going to YTTV that I really like.
post #8 of 102 Old 10-29-2019, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 43
is the AT&T TV Now a native app on this cube? I may be switching from ATT TV Now to Fubo TV which for me has a better channel lineup than YTTV, but that is irrelevant here.
post #9 of 102 Old 10-29-2019, 07:40 PM
R R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, I have a question about the 2nd Gen Fire TV Cube.

On my 1st Gen Fire TV Cube there was an odd issue where Amazon took all the audio (including PCM stereo) and put it into a 5.1 wrapper. This obviously didn't effect any of the Dolby Digital audio, but it prevented my A/V receiver from recognizing the PCM audio and thus did allow for Dolby Pro Logic II or any other post processing to kick in. So when I watched an episode of Cheers or Star Trek the audio only came from my 2 front speakers as opposed to the Pro Logic II 5.1.

Does anyone know if this issue has been rectified in the new Cube? It seems like a great device, but this is a deal breaker if it's still happening.
post #10 of 102 Old 10-30-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4849 Post(s)
Liked: 2873
Does the Netflix app on the 2nd Gen Cube output native 24 fps 4k HDR material or is that app still borked?

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #11 of 102 Old 10-30-2019, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Does this do Atmos on Netflix?
post #12 of 102 Old 10-31-2019, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamah Khan View Post
I believe so, yes.
post #13 of 102 Old 10-31-2019, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have had this for a couple weeks. Subscribed to Patriots Steamz TV to try, before cutting the cord. Have lip scync issues. Anyone know of a fix for this?
post #14 of 102 Old 10-31-2019, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamah Khan View Post
Yes it does
post #15 of 102 Old 11-01-2019, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2310 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
I'm looking for information about the playback capabilities of the Plex app on the new Fire Cube. I would be primarily interested in using the Cube with the Plex app to stream local media from my Plex server. My only requirement is that it will direct-play BD rips -- both video and audio -- without requiring the Plex server to transcode the source. I want the original, as-ripped quality. I don't care about anything 4K.

So:
1. Will the Plex app on the Cube direct-play 1080p source (i.e. BD rip) or will it force the Plex server to transcode.
2. Will the Plex app on the Cube bit-stream True-HD and DTS-HD to my AVR or will it force the Plex server to transcode.

The Plex app on the nVidia Shield will do both of these things, but for a number of reasons the fire Cube is more attractive to me. If it can direct-play BD rips through Plex, I will buy it.

thanks in advance
- K

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #16 of 102 Old 11-02-2019, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I was experiencing audio dropouts on my firetv 2 while watching prime. So I upgraded to the cube 2nd generation. No more audio dropouts. Very fast navigation. Don’t use Alexa. I’m happy with this upgrade.
LDBetaGuy likes this.
post #17 of 102 Old 11-02-2019, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I also don't use Alexa at all (Mic always kept muted). But this thing is my go to recommendation for a 4k/HDR streamer at the moment. Fantastic UI, especially if you have Prime service. And it supports all of the major streaming services ar both Dolby Vision and Atmos (something the Apple TV had cornered basically until now). All for $120. It is rock solid.
meles likes this.
post #18 of 102 Old 11-02-2019, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4849 Post(s)
Liked: 2873
Quote:
I also don't use Alexa at all (Mic always kept muted). But this thing is my go to recommendation for a 4k/HDR streamer at the moment. Fantastic UI, especially if you have Prime service. And it supports all of the major streaming services ar both Dolby Vision and Atmos (something the Apple TV had cornered basically until now). All for $120. It is rock solid.
But is the Netflix app included capable of native 24 fps output or is it one of those non updated apps that forces 60 fps conversion for everything?

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #19 of 102 Old 11-02-2019, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
But is the Netflix app included capable of native 24 fps output or is it one of those non updated apps that forces 60 fps conversion for everything?

At the moment I don't think so. From what I've read, support for Auto Framerate Matching hinges on Netflix updating support on their end for the Fire TV, so we'll see. But for some reason I have never been one to notice issues between 24fps vs. 60fps, at least not since having my Sony X940e TV.
post #20 of 102 Old 11-02-2019, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I'm looking for information about the playback capabilities of the Plex app on the new Fire Cube. I would be primarily interested in using the Cube with the Plex app to stream local media from my Plex server. My only requirement is that it will direct-play BD rips -- both video and audio -- without requiring the Plex server to transcode the source. I want the original, as-ripped quality. I don't care about anything 4K.

So:
1. Will the Plex app on the Cube direct-play 1080p source (i.e. BD rip) or will it force the Plex server to transcode.
2. Will the Plex app on the Cube bit-stream True-HD and DTS-HD to my AVR or will it force the Plex server to transcode.

The Plex app on the nVidia Shield will do both of these things, but for a number of reasons the fire Cube is more attractive to me. If it can direct-play BD rips through Plex, I will buy it.

thanks in advance
- K
According to the specs here, yes it will direct play 2k & 4k, No on direct play True-HD and DTS-MA HD:

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fi...e-tv-cube.html

Living Room: Marantz 6013, XPA-5, 7.1.4 Polk RTiA9, CSiA6, FXiA4, OWM3, RSL C34E, SVS PC12+, 4 Shakers, Epson 5050, VApex 92”, Sony 65X900F, Sony X800, Xbox360, FireStick 4K, Roku Ultra, Odroid-N2. Bedroom: Denon 3600, 5.1.4 Polk: LSiM 703, LSiM 704, RTiA1, OWM3, SVS SB12-NSD x 2, LG OLED65B8, Xbox 360, Roku Ultra, Shield, FireStick 4K. Home Office: Onkyo 707, Polk: RTiA3, CSiA4, Monitor 70's, Yamaha SW315 x 2, Turntable, Triple Monitors.
post #21 of 102 Old 11-02-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post
According to the specs here, yes it will direct play 2k & 4k, No on direct play True-HD and DTS-MA HD:

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fi...e-tv-cube.html
Thanks for the info and the link.

It doesn't list True-HD and DTS-HD in supporte audio codecs, but I'm wondering about it bit-streaming them.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 11-02-2019 at 09:19 PM.
post #22 of 102 Old 11-03-2019, 01:53 PM

I take it the remote is blutooth?
Can a Flirc be used for ir control?

- kelson h

post #23 of 102 Old 11-03-2019, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 8
You will need a micro usb to USB adapter but yes you should be able to use flirc
post #24 of 102 Old 11-06-2019, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I have two fire tv stick 4ks and while it can be speedy with other apps, it struggles to play 4k instantly in prime video. Is this also a problem on the 2nd gen cube or like all other third party devices with prime video, prime 4k content plays instantly in 2160P? Thinking about upgrading.
post #25 of 102 Old 11-06-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 54
No sideloading APK's on this version?

bob
post #26 of 102 Old 11-06-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What I find absolutely incredible is the new Cube does not support 24 bit 96 kHz music and Amazon HD ultra does. I actually had to talk to Amazon themselves which was a task in and if it's but they actually said no it doesn't. I find that insane.
How can I or what can use to listen Amazon music in ultra 24 bit 96 kHz?
post #27 of 102 Old 11-06-2019, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM87 View Post
I have two fire tv stick 4ks and while it can be speedy with other apps, it struggles to play 4k instantly in prime video. Is this also a problem on the 2nd gen cube or like all other third party devices with prime video, prime 4k content plays instantly in 2160P? Thinking about upgrading.

If I select a Prime UHD video title, it plays within 5 seconds of loading on average. Nothing out of the ordinary for me compared to selecting a 4k title on Netflix that I've noticed
post #28 of 102 Old 11-12-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
I take it the remote is blutooth?
Can a Flirc be used for ir control?
Just wondering, were you able to get the cube to work with a flirc and IR remote with a micro usb>usb adapter?

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #29 of 102 Old 11-12-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Just wondering, were you able to get the cube to work with a flirc and IR remote with a micro usb>usb adapter?
I have not purchased the Cube yet. I'm still trying to gather the information I want. At this point I'm leaning more towards the new 2019 Shield
tngiloy likes this.

- kelson h

post #30 of 102 Old 11-13-2019, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
I have not purchased the Cube yet. I'm still trying to gather the information I want. At this point I'm leaning more towards the new 2019 Shield
I'm on the fence between these two.
I like our Fire 4K stick and have been looking for a new device for our main TV.

Lot's of good for both devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page