Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 11-20-2019, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I wonder if @DrDon replaced any Cables yet? One could also use a Laptop as a temporary Media-server to see if there are any differences?
This can't be so hard to solve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 11-20-2019, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked: 4445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja-vue View Post
I wonder if @DrDon replaced any Cables yet? One could also use a Laptop as a temporary Media-server to see if there are any differences?
This can't be so hard to solve.
IKR? The new NIC lights up for GBE, so I'm assuming that clears the Cat 5e running to the router. It's also the only cable I can think of swapping out, though, given the walls I have it running through to GET to the router, swapping it - even temporarily - is going to be a bit of a task. Still might try as I have a thousand-foot box of Cat 5e and enough connectors to outfit a small office.

In the meantime, I'm starting to research replacing my HTPC. Want to stick with the case I have as nothing's wrong with it. Need a good ATX mobo with a LOT of SATA connectors (10 would be ideal) and probably a Core i5.

Meanwhile, I like the idea of trying a laptop in the HTPC's former location. Ordering an ethernet adapter for it, now.

Thanks and stay tuned.
Deja-vue likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #33 of 44 Old 11-22-2019, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Put my backup laptop in the HTPC's location. Wired to the router delivers 100MB/s file transfer speeds. WiFi delivers 30-50. Which then begs the question.. why does the other laptop only clock 5-10? It's nearly identical to the backup, using the exact same Qualcomm WiFi card with the exact same settings, same (current) driver, same firewall settings... the works.

It appears the issue wasn't where I thought it was. Sorry for the tail-chasing. Still gonna rebuild the HTPC, though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 11-30-2019, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Alright, no Idea why the wireless Speed isn't the same on "identical Laptops"...different protocol used? different firmware on the card?
This Server should be sharing on a wired network anyways, IMHO.
So...is this solved?
Then, more questions please.
post #35 of 44 Old 11-30-2019, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Alright, no Idea why the wireless Speed isn't the same on "identical Laptops"...different protocol used? different firmware on the card?
This Server should be sharing on a wired network anyways, IMHO.
So...is this solved?
Then, more questions please.
Only difference between the laptops is the faster one is an i5 with 8 MB RAM. The slower one is an i7 with 16. WiFi cards are identical as is every variable you can find. They were set up totally identical on purpose. the only thing I could figure was that one of the Qualcomms was defective.. a problem often reported by Lenovo users.

I swapped the Qualcomm card in the slower laptop for an Intel 8265. Upon disonnecting the black antenna lead, a piece of the coax connector on the Qualcomm broke off inside of the antenna connector. So, I'm down to one antenna on the slower computer. The card change resulted in a speed gain just short of 50% at point blank range to the router (just to rule out the lack of a second antenna). SO, instead of 8-10Mbps, it's doing 10-15. Other laptop still does double that.

And that's where we are.

Thanks for keeping in touch.

post #36 of 44 Old 12-01-2019, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 590
How identical are the laptops? You never mentioned models or years, which can make a huge difference because antenna placement, antenna hardware, case materials and design have a huge effect on the signal the card gets which has a huge effect on the speed you see. Even the length of the antenna cables can matter.
post #37 of 44 Old 12-01-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
How identical are the laptops? You never mentioned models or years, which can make a huge difference because antenna placement, antenna hardware, case materials and design have a huge effect on the signal the card gets which has a huge effect on the speed you see. Even the length of the antenna cables can matter.

This is spot on. Even a slight difference in manufacture of the wireless module can impact performance, as can differences in noise generated within the laptop.
post #38 of 44 Old 12-01-2019, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

We're dealing with a Lenovo Yoga 910 (main) and a 920 as a backup acquired a year apart. The 920 is essentially the 910 with the bugs worked out.. better keyboard, Thunderbolt USB-C, and little else, AIUI. WiFi module is the same, antennas are the same, case is the same. A number of other users have been able to rectify the problem with the switch to an Intel WiFi card on either model.

EDIT: Apparently, there is some difference SOMEwhere. After rolling back the driver on the new Intel WiFi card in the main (910), internet speeds have jumped to where they should be (using Speedtest). Before the swap: 10-25Mbps. After the swap, still with only one antenna: 65Mbps, same as the 920 with the Qualcomm card. Up was 6 before, 10 now. I pay for 10/100.

Oddly, file transfer speeds using the same test file on the same shared folder you had me set up has not changed. Still around 10Mbps. The 920'll do up to 54. At point-blank range, the 910 will START the file transfer at around 30, then quickly fall back to under 10. Gotta be a setting somewhere I'm not considering.

As a reference, I have a Yoga Book C930 using an Intel WiFi card that clocks 10/100 on Speedtest anywhere in the house and moves the test file at 50.

Last edited by DrDon; 12-02-2019 at 08:35 AM.
post #39 of 44 Old 12-02-2019, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
We're dealing with a Lenovo Yoga 910 (main) and a 920 as a backup acquired a year apart. The 920 is essentially the 910 with the bugs worked out.. better keyboard, Thunderbolt USB-C, and little else, AIUI. WiFi module is the same, antennas are the same, case is the same. A number of other users have been able to rectify the problem with the switch to an Intel WiFi card on either model.

EDIT: Apparently, there is some difference SOMEwhere. After rolling back the driver on the new Intel WiFi card in the main (910), internet speeds have jumped to where they should be (using Speedtest). Before the swap: 10-25Mbps. After the swap, still with only one antenna: 65Mbps, same as the 920 with the Qualcomm card. Up was 6 before, 10 now. I pay for 10/100.

Oddly, file transfer speeds using the same test file on the same shared folder you had me set up has not changed. Still around 10Mbps. The 920'll do up to 54. At point-blank range, the 910 will START the file transfer at around 30, then quickly fall back to under 10. Gotta be a setting somewhere I'm not considering.

As a reference, I have a Yoga Book C930 using an Intel WiFi card that clocks 10/100 on Speedtest anywhere in the house and moves the test file at 50.
I'm starting to pull my Hair out, lol.
At this point, I'd start looking elsewhere, for example, the Router.
The ASUS AC-3100 has known Issues, just google "ASUS AC-3100 Speed Issues".
Perhaps the Firmware on the Router could be updated. I'm not a big Fan of Asus, I admit.

I sold hundreds of TP-Link Routers and the are fast, reliable, almost bullet-proof. They don't cost an Arm and a Leg and you could always return the Router if you keep the Box.
What say you?
Worth a try?
post #40 of 44 Old 12-02-2019, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Perhaps the Firmware on the Router could be updated. I'm not a big Fan of Asus, I admit.

I sold hundreds of TP-Link Routers and the are fast, reliable, almost bullet-proof. They don't cost an Arm and a Leg and you could always return the Router if you keep the Box.
What say you?
Worth a try?
Btw,
My personal Favorite: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But doesn't have to be that costly, an Archer A7 does it as well for way less money.
post #41 of 44 Old 12-02-2019, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

What say you?
Worth a try?
Wish I still had hair to pull out. There's some, but I'd need forceps.

The Asus replaced a Nighthawk which did work rather well. The Asus was free, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I can always swap the Nighthawk back in and try that. I'm obsessive about keeping things up to date and probably check the firmware a couple times a month. (That was the mistake with the Intel WiFi card.. I let Intel install the latest driver, which wrecked everything. Rolling back a version fixed all but the file transfer across the network).

Not knowing routers as intimate as I do video equipment, I'd think on the surface a problem with the router would affect more than just one computer.

I DO like the Asus' ability to run a VPN. Though I currently have that disabled.

I like the Netgear's dual 5Ghz radios. Allowed me to split phones and computers between the two, with all the usual "smart" lights, thermostats and so forth living on the 2.4Ghz band as it is with the Asus.

I may try the TP-Link. Amusingly, I might still have a couple of those in a box, somewhere, though nothing current.

Doc
Deja-vue likes this.

post #42 of 44 Old 12-02-2019, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

@DrDon ,
You'd be amazed how many options you have on a simple TP-Link Router. Including VPN.
Give it a try, it won't hurt a bit.
post #43 of 44 Old 12-04-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by careyc1 View Post
Network engineer here. IF you have questions, post them. I will do my best to answer them. I've learned a lot from these forums and figure I should give back!

Very cool. I wish I'd seen this/taken you up on this offer *before* last weekend, but that's my own fault...

I bought a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 back in 2015, and it was *really* good to me for about 3.5 years worth of use. Fantastic speed and range. Super-reliable. I recommended it to anyone that asked me. I bought it for others in my family (father; sister-in-law; etc) as Christmas gifts when I heard people were having WiFi/networking problems or shortcomings.

But over the last 4ish months my network has become pretty unreliable. Over the last week the failures/dropouts/reboots are becoming more and more frequent. I'm not sure if it's just failing hardware (I would have expected to get more than 4 years worth of good use out of a pretty-well-reviewed mid-to-higher-end-ish offering from a "brand" like Netgear), or it's related to increasing-demand/usage related to my growing list of "attached devices" and "internet of things" (a couple dozen hue lights, a half dozen smart speakers, a half dozen "whole-home-audio-music streamers," a half dozen streaming media players, phones and laptops for me and the wife, tablets for the kids, etc etc etc)...

I took advantage of a Cyber Monday deal on a TP-Link AX6000 WIFI-6 router with MU-MIMO and OFDMA, in hopes that my problems are either related to:
- better management of my growing list of attached devices
- just general hardware failure (bad luck on my part; rolled snakeeyes)?

Problems/glitches first started rearing themselves the very first Saturday this fall of College Football, where I have a pretty elaborate basement setup that involves the ability to watch many (6+) college football games at the same time using a combination of the internet (Comcast's online streaming service) and my intranet (CableCard HDHomeRun DVR networked tuners)... for September and October glitches/reboots/unreliability was only experienced during those heavy-usage Fall Saturdays. But at this point I'm experiencing drop-outs during what I'd call "normal usage" (1-person Netflix streaming last night on our main living room TV; over-the-weekend two or three simultaneous FLAC music streams).

Any thoughts/opinions you have on best-practices or the liklihood that I've taken the proper steps by buying a new WiFi 6 router with MU-MIMO and OFDMA, or if there's something else I should be doing in parallel, would be greatly appreciated...

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Polk Monitor 70 Series II L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA.
post #44 of 44 Old 12-04-2019, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Very cool. I wish I'd seen this/taken you up on this offer *before* last weekend, but that's my own fault...

I bought a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 back in 2015, and it was *really* good to me for about 3.5 years worth of use. Fantastic speed and range. Super-reliable. I recommended it to anyone that asked me. I bought it for others in my family (father; sister-in-law; etc) as Christmas gifts when I heard people were having WiFi/networking problems or shortcomings.

But over the last 4ish months my network has become pretty unreliable. Over the last week the failures/dropouts/reboots are becoming more and more frequent. I'm not sure if it's just failing hardware (I would have expected to get more than 4 years worth of good use out of a pretty-well-reviewed mid-to-higher-end-ish offering from a "brand" like Netgear), or it's related to increasing-demand/usage related to my growing list of "attached devices" and "internet of things" (a couple dozen hue lights, a half dozen smart speakers, a half dozen "whole-home-audio-music streamers," a half dozen streaming media players, phones and laptops for me and the wife, tablets for the kids, etc etc etc)...

I took advantage of a Cyber Monday deal on a TP-Link AX6000 WIFI-6 router with MU-MIMO and OFDMA, in hopes that my problems are either related to:
- better management of my growing list of attached devices
- just general hardware failure (bad luck on my part; rolled snakeeyes)?

Problems/glitches first started rearing themselves the very first Saturday this fall of College Football, where I have a pretty elaborate basement setup that involves the ability to watch many (6+) college football games at the same time using a combination of the internet (Comcast's online streaming service) and my intranet (CableCard HDHomeRun DVR networked tuners)... for September and October glitches/reboots/unreliability was only experienced during those heavy-usage Fall Saturdays. But at this point I'm experiencing drop-outs during what I'd call "normal usage" (1-person Netflix streaming last night on our main living room TV; over-the-weekend two or three simultaneous FLAC music streams).

Any thoughts/opinions you have on best-practices or the liklihood that I've taken the proper steps by buying a new WiFi 6 router with MU-MIMO and OFDMA, or if there's something else I should be doing in parallel, would be greatly appreciated...
@psuKinger , I use TP-Link exclusively, since 2010.
Before, I did use Netgear, but reliability, warranty issues and non-existent Tech support drove me away.

I install TP-Link Routers in large Beauty Salons (~15-20.000 SqFt.) together with Ubiquity access points.
Some of these Salons are 100+ Miles away, and I cannot afford going back to these locations to re-set or replace Routers.
I have done about 30 Salons right now, up and down the West coast, from San Diego to Ventura county.

My point is: TP-Link is a very reliable product. Perhaps it was just bad luck on your end.
Another Fact is that I am using the lower End Routers from TP-Link, like the Archer 1740 or 1900.
Less Features, less problems.

I'd call TP-Link Tech support, yes there are real Folks to talk to, very helpful Techs, they might point you in the right Direction.
Cheers,
psuKinger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page