Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 10-23-2019, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Network questions?

Network engineer here. IF you have questions, post them. I will do my best to answer them. I've learned a lot from these forums and figure I should give back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 10-24-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by careyc1 View Post
Network engineer here. IF you have questions, post them. I will do my best to answer them. I've learned a lot from these forums and figure I should give back!
It's good to have you aboard.
Appreciate!

I'm sure some will need help.
post #3 of 44 Old 10-25-2019, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Where do I plug in the square thingy?

Lol, seriously, what is your advice on keeping a network “healthy”? I have a pretty robust system that I put together myself. Two routers (Netgear 8500’s with one as an AP), 24 port main switch, a 10 port POE switch for cams and two 8 port switches in both HTs. I’m completely self taught but, feel I’m missing something because every so often it slows to a crawl and I have to reboot everything. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 10-27-2019, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
Where do I plug in the square thingy?

Lol, seriously, what is your advice on keeping a network “healthy”? I have a pretty robust system that I put together myself. Two routers (Netgear 8500’s with one as an AP), 24 port main switch, a 10 port POE switch for cams and two 8 port switches in both HTs. I’m completely self taught but, feel I’m missing something because every so often it slows to a crawl and I have to reboot everything. Any suggestions?
Lol, Steve your Hardware looks pretty good indeed. The only thing I would change is to replace the Netgear 8500 with a TP-Link WiFi 6 AX6000 or the like.
Check your Network Speed between nodes every once in a while, several tools are available for that.

I'd run Angy Ip scanner to see all the available IP Addresses, put the Cams, Printers, NAS Devices on a higher static IP, so that you won't have any conflicts in the future.
Finally, make sure none of the Cables are tightly curved or run next to electrical Cables.
Last but not least, secure your Network, use complex passwords, have your computers updated at all times, turn off Upnp of course.
There are so many ways to lock down a Router.
My 2 cents, Network engineer here as well.
post #5 of 44 Old 11-02-2019, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 4452
Ok, I've got one for you. I could use a little help narrowing down where to look to fix an issue.

I have an ASUS AC-3100 router handling everything. Small townhome, so it covers all but a couple of nooks and crannies. All of the smart service devices (cameras, lights, etc) except Amazon's Alexa devices (3) are on 2.4Ghz. Computers, phones and media streaming devices are all on 5Ghz. One Smart TV is wired, the other one only does 2.4Ghz and is rarely used.

Until a lightning strike in September, I had an HTPC running Win7 x32 Cat5 wired into the router. Media stored on that HTPC played or copied smoothly to any other computer in the house, wired or WiFi. After the strike, the Win7 x64 machine in my office took over the HTPC's duties (recording television shows, hosting the media hard drives, etc)

Streaming media from the office computer has a lot of fits and starts. I can set the VLC buffers really high which mitigates a lot of that. But when copying, say, a television show from the office to computer to a laptop that's on WiFi, it takes a really long time... much longer than when the HTPC was working. The wired Smart TV also won't play content from the office computer smoothly. Runs about 10-20 seconds, then stops for five. Rinse, repeat. Again, this didn't happen with the HTPC.

An internet speed test on the office PC shows the same 15/100 results every other device in the house notches. One of those free file transfer speed tests run between the office PC and one of the laptops doesn't turn up anything. I would imagine there's a better test program to run, however.

Everything plays fine on the Office PC. Copying speeds between, say, a hard drive and a USB 3 flash drive on the office PC are exactly what you'd expect. Streaming stuff off the internet performs as expected.

All of our computers and devices streaming Netflix, YouTube or what have you perform perfectly well at all times.

So, where do I look for the bottleneck?

Thanks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #6 of 44 Old 11-02-2019, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

DrDon, that is a good one, lol. I'm afraid we'll need more technical Info on the Replacement computer. The only difference I see is that the old one was a 32Bit and the new one is a 64Bit. No mentioning about the Hardware.
So we can assume that a 3rd party firewall isn't running? Have you tried rolling back or updating the computers Network drivers?
What is all running in the Background? Open the Taskmanager and start shutting down services or apps that could conflict. Perhaps do a clean start with everything turned off first and see which one is the culprit.
Not being there and unable to see things makes it difficult to troubleshoot. Is the storage drive healthy?
Got another NIC you could use?
shooting in the dark here.
post #7 of 44 Old 11-02-2019, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja-vue View Post
DrDon, that is a good one, lol. I'm afraid we'll need more technical Info on the Replacement computer. The only difference I see is that the old one was a 32Bit and the new one is a 64Bit. No mentioning about the Hardware.
So we can assume that a 3rd party firewall isn't running? Have you tried rolling back or updating the computers Network drivers?
What is all running in the Background? Open the Taskmanager and start shutting down services or apps that could conflict. Perhaps do a clean start with everything turned off first and see which one is the culprit.
Not being there and unable to see things makes it difficult to troubleshoot. Is the storage drive healthy?
Got another NIC you could use?
shooting in the dark here.
Welcome to MY world.

Apologies for not giving you more info. Embarrassing as I'm usually the one chastising members in HDTV Technical for withholding information necessary to solve their issues.

The Office PC is about a 6-year-old Dell XPS 9100, i7 Win7 Home x64. I have 8GB Ram in it and the OS/programs live on a Samsung 500GB SSD.

All data storage and indexing is on SATA spinners which report healthy. The drive salvaged from the HTPC is currently in a USB-3 enclosure. The issue presents whether the media being accessed is on the Office PC's internal drive or external. Media plays normally on the Office PC. Attaching the salvaged drive to a different computer also results in normal playing and copying.

No 3rd-party firewall or AV. I have Malwarebytes available on-demand. Only suspicious thing in Task Manager is the number of chrome entries. Lan monitor shows nothing going in nor out. . The issue wouldn't surprise me if it occurred when the PC is recording, say, 3 television shows simultaneously. But in the morning, it isn't really doing anything except on Sundays when it's backing up.

I do kind of suspect the NIC. It's a Realtek PCIe GBE. Windows thinks the driver is the best available. Checking Realtek site. Could also be the cabling, but I think that'd be an issue with internet speeds were it the case.

I DO have a spare NIC, somewhere. The one from the HTPC might also still work. The lightning strike took out the power supply and the mobo. Probably the processor, too, but I have no easy way to check that. Everything else I've pulled off of it still functions, including two spinners and the SSD running the OS. Lucky me. I will rebuild the thing, this winter.

Last edited by DrDon; 11-02-2019 at 11:08 AM.
post #8 of 44 Old 11-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

DrDon, try to stay away from the Realtek NIC's, they hammer the CPU too much using up resources. I'd get a good Intel based NIC, don't be afraid to spend a little more money on it than usual. The NIC's are mostly overlooked when it comes to good Network performance.
So, if I understand correctly, you are sharing the Data on the external USB enclosure?
Try a Test Folder on the C: Drive, put some content in there and share it across the Network.
See if you still get slow performance.
post #9 of 44 Old 11-02-2019, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 43
hmmmmm....where is the OP (careyc1) when you need him/her?
post #10 of 44 Old 11-02-2019, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

@beerhunt , I got this.
beerhunt likes this.
post #11 of 44 Old 11-02-2019, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
So, if I understand correctly, you are sharing the Data on the external USB enclosure?
AND an internal spinner.

While Windows couldn't find a better driver, Realtek's own program could. Trying that.

Last edited by DrDon; 11-02-2019 at 12:31 PM.
post #12 of 44 Old 11-02-2019, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
AND an internal spinner.

While Windows couldn't find a better driver, Realtek's own program could. Trying that.
So there was a newer Driver? Good.
One more thing to try out is to disable IPv6.
We don't need it (yet) and it could cause Issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ip-6.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	2635768  
post #13 of 44 Old 11-02-2019, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Disabled that on everything looooong time ago.

Newer drivers didn't seem to make much difference. Going to try a folder on the SSD, next. Plan to order a new NIC, this week. If that fails, I'll make up a new cable and try that. Or just deal with it until I get a new HTPC built. This same configuration (with a Trendnet router) worked flawlessly when I had all of this in my Detroit house four years ago. Anything from any PC played flawlessly anywhere. No hardware changes (other than HDDs) since.

The help is appreciated.

post #14 of 44 Old 11-02-2019, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by careyc1 View Post
Hi all,

I'm at a loss for what is going on... I am hardwiring my basement for 9 ethernet drops and am having issues with 3 of the wires. I'm testing them with a Tempo Communications Coaxial and LAN Cable Tester (PA1594) and 2 of the 3 I'm using Legrand cat6 RJ45 WP3460WH Keystones at each end. I've wired them and tested and keep getting errors, but I know both ends are connected correctly as I've redone both sides several times very carefully, each time cutting more of the cat6 wire back.

Any ideas what could be causing this?? I'm going to use the female-to-female Legrand cat6 Keystones for the other problem wire which I plan on cutting off the plugs and re-wiring that one more time as well.

The other 6 that I have hooked up work just fine... They are a mix of female-to-female and the WP3460WH Keystones.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It is holding me up from getting drywall up.

Thanks in advance,
Gary
post #15 of 44 Old 11-02-2019, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

@funkyg , are you crimping them ok?

I use this pattern, have for years:

Also, I am using this Tester here:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazing tool indeed.

I think you did everything right, maybe a nail inside the Cables? Or close to a fluorescent light?
This can drive one insane, I have been there.
Maybe have a Cable Tech look at it or simply replace the Cable, before the Drywall goes up, lol.

I am sorry I couldn't help you any further with this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	colors.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	2635776  
post #16 of 44 Old 11-02-2019, 06:21 PM

Yeah, that's the pattern I'm using on the cables I'm terminating. I'm just following the directions on the package for the Legrand keystone terminations and it works on 5 of the pairs without issue.

I'm planning to just pull the wires out next week, measure them and purchase premade cables to run. I'm ready to be done with this so I can get to finishing the basement!

Thanks for the feedback!
post #17 of 44 Old 11-04-2019, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

I would like to know if @DrDon created a share on his SSD and sucessfully streamed the content.
?
post #18 of 44 Old 11-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I would like to know if @DrDon created a share on his SSD and sucessfully streamed the content.
?
I haven't, yet. Yesterday was football and Mondays and Tuesdays are generally the days I'm in the studio. I'm still moving content to thumb drives in the mean time.

Hit another snag with the PC. Two DVD burners (one DVD, one BD) can no longer be accessed by any program. Drivers (re)install properly, so Windows sees them. I even get the little disc icon with the mouse pointer when a disc is inserted. That's where it ends. File Explorer shows the drives and the drive letters, but thinks they're both CD ROMs. As I have a pressing project requiring them to work, chasing that has occupied my spare time.

EDIT: The share folder on the SSD worked well. That said, streaming the same title from the spinner also worked well. Trying to load either file into editing software or doing just a straight copy from the SSD to the laptop was painstakingly slow. Fool with it more after tomorrow's studio session. Assuming it's done by happy hour.

Last edited by DrDon; 11-04-2019 at 02:56 PM.
post #19 of 44 Old 11-04-2019, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Did you check the Registry for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters"?

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix...ng-windows-10/
post #20 of 44 Old 11-06-2019, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Did you check the Registry for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters"?

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix...ng-windows-10/
Thanks for that. Removed them to no avail. BIOS has the drives properly listed as does device manager, but no program is talking to them. Meh. Fix it later. Can move the disc-burning project to another machine. Lightning strike might have gotten to them, too.

File transfer speeds are in the 8-12 Mbps range, now. All I did was create the temp directory on the SSD. Testing the same file there and with 2 other spinners. Good news is that things are streaming smoothly between machines. Hope that lasts.

Thanks for all the help.

post #21 of 44 Old 11-07-2019, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Thanks for that. Removed them to no avail. BIOS has the drives properly listed as does device manager, but no program is talking to them. Meh. Fix it later. Can move the disc-burning project to another machine. Lightning strike might have gotten to them, too.

File transfer speeds are in the 8-12 Mbps range, now. All I did was create the temp directory on the SSD. Testing the same file there and with 2 other spinners. Good news is that things are streaming smoothly between machines. Hope that lasts.

Thanks for all the help.

I've had luck before shutting down the machine, unplugging the drive's sata cable, and letting windows boot without it. Once it's fully in Windows, shut down and reconnect the sata cable. It might even be worth switching which sata cable goes to which drive, so they end up on different channels.
Deja-vue likes this.
post #22 of 44 Old 11-09-2019, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Good Call, @Steve Voelker .
I hope @DrDon reports some good News. 8-12 Mbps isn't really what we want, should be a bit higher.

Here is a Speed i got from my NAS:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	transfer.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	2638704  
post #23 of 44 Old 11-09-2019, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Microsoft has a possible Registry Fix for it. Remember to backup the Registry first, lol.

"To create the registry subkey, follow these steps:

Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run box.
Type regedit in the Run box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or select Allow.
In the navigation pane, locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\atapi
Right-click atapi, point to New, then select Key.
Type Controller0, and then press Enter.
Right-click Controller0, point to New, and then select DWORD(32-bit) Value .
Type EnumDevice1, and then press Enter.
Right-click EnumDevice1, select Modify....
Type 1 in the Value data box, and then select OK.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer."

Worth a shot?
post #24 of 44 Old 11-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Good Call, @Steve Voelker .
I hope @DrDon reports some good News. 8-12 Mbps isn't really what we want, should be a bit higher.

Here is a Speed i got from my NAS:
New Intel NIC arrives Monday. Swapping SATA ports for disc drives failed. Replacing the drives when the NIC arrives

post #25 of 44 Old 11-10-2019, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Voelker View Post
I've had luck before shutting down the machine, unplugging the drive's sata cable, and letting windows boot without it. Once it's fully in Windows, shut down and reconnect the sata cable. It might even be worth switching which sata cable goes to which drive, so they end up on different channels.
This appears to have worked, thank you very much. I initially said it didn't. That may have been a bad disc I was using for a test. Haven't put it through the paces, but the fact Windows now sees the BD drive's contents is a start.

Thanks.

post #26 of 44 Old 11-11-2019, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyg View Post
Yeah, that's the pattern I'm using on the cables I'm terminating. I'm just following the directions on the package for the Legrand keystone terminations and it works on 5 of the pairs without issue.

I'm planning to just pull the wires out next week, measure them and purchase premade cables to run. I'm ready to be done with this so I can get to finishing the basement!

Thanks for the feedback!
So what happened, @funkyg ?
post #27 of 44 Old 11-11-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
So what happened, @funkyg ?
Well, I ended up just going with the 6 working drops. I needed to figure this out before the spray foam insulation was done... I'm going to cut out the 3 non-working cables as deep in the wall as I can and close to the sealed-in spray foam in the basement. I can always add in a switch if I need more hardwired connections at a specific drop point.

More stuff learned for the next house we move in to!!
Deja-vue likes this.
post #28 of 44 Old 11-11-2019, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
DrDon, try to stay away from the Realtek NIC's, they hammer the CPU too much using up resources. I'd get a good Intel based NIC, don't be afraid to spend a little more money on it than usual.
Got the Intel NIC. No difference.

post #29 of 44 Old 11-13-2019, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Got the Intel NIC. No difference.
Hmm, good one.
At this point, we need to step back and look at some Basics.
How about shutting all MS Services down, do a clean boot, disable all Antivirus Software, and test again.

The Drives on the host could be checked with their proprietary Software, like Western Digital s Lifeguard,
Seagate's Seatools, you get the Idea.
Run Microsoft's Network diagnostic Tools. Free to download.
Next thing I would do is probably take a Brand new Drive, put some Movies on it, share it and see what it is doing. Might as well be an SSD.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Perhaps the OP could chime in?
Cheers,
post #30 of 44 Old 11-13-2019, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 43
perhaps the OP bit off more than he/she could chew!....
Deja-vue likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page