HBO Max- May 2020 launch - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #31 of 114 Old 04-29-2020, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Just need to see the Press Release that has Prime Video Channels included in the HBO Max distribution model. Come on WarnerMedia and Amazon. Lock it down!!

HBO Max will be available on Android, Chromecast, and Android TV at launch
https://9to5google.com/2020/04/29/hb...tv-chromecast/

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 114 Old 05-01-2020, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 2658
HBO Max is giving a $3 discount off the monthly fee for a year if you pre-order. And it gives you access to HBO Now until it launches.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/1/21...arnermedia-att
post #33 of 114 Old 05-01-2020, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Same old crappy 720p bit-starved streams upscaled to 1080p. No thank you.

When they offer decent quality 4k then I’ll consider picking them up.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 114 Old 05-01-2020, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I think HBO MAX will be great, the Warner Bros catalog has plenty of movies I would like to purchase from iTunes but now wont have to since they will be available on HBO MAX. The only caveat is the PQ, and if it's anything like what HBO looks like through the Apple TV+ app it'll be a no brainer for me.

Projector: VPLHW40ES + DIY 125" Screen AVR: CX-A5100 + B&K REF 200.7
Speakers: DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP2000(FL/FR), CLR2000 (C), DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP10 (RL/RR),
MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling ATMOS/DTS), (4) MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling R/L REAR SURR)
post #35 of 114 Old 05-01-2020, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6101 Post(s)
Liked: 5598
Hulu to Offer HBO Max at Launch

WarnerMedia, securing another distribution deal for its flagship HBO Max streaming service, inked a pact with Disney-controlled Hulu to make HBO Max available to subscribers when the platform launches later this month...under the terms of the agreement, existing HBO subscribers on Hulu will be automatically upgraded to HBO Max as of the May 27th launch date for no additional cost (However, some Hulu customers may not be eligible for HBO Max if they’re billed indirectly through a third party)

The deal with Hulu is the latest announced by WarnerMedia for HBO Max, following similar pacts with Apple, Charter Communications, Google and YouTube TV...HBO Max subscriptions also will be available directly, as well as from AT&T (WarnerMedia’s parent), which is bundling HBO Max free for high-end service tiers...companies not yet on board for HBO Max’s launch at this point include Comcast, Dish Network/Sling TV, Roku and Verizon...

https://variety.com/2020/digital/new...rs-1234595511/
post #36 of 114 Old 05-06-2020, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
[B]Companies not yet on board for HBO Max’s launch at this point include Comcast, Dish Network/Sling TV, Roku and Verizon...

https://variety.com/2020/digital/new...rs-1234595511/
I read that article and found it odd that they didn't include Amazon and Prime Video in that list.

post #37 of 114 Old 05-06-2020, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeter2002 View Post
I think HBO MAX will be great, the Warner Bros catalog has plenty of movies I would like to purchase from iTunes but now wont have to since they will be available on HBO MAX. The only caveat is the PQ, and if it's anything like what HBO looks like through the Apple TV+ app it'll be a no brainer for me.
I'm sure quite a bit of Warner Studios catalog will be available, but we can't assume all of it. Turner Classic Movies will remain a standalone app and initial press releases teased that a 'curated collection' of content from TCM will be available on HBO Max. Curated collection sounds nice, but that is a fancy way of saying not all Turner Classic movies will be on HBO Max at launch or perhaps ever.

post #38 of 114 Old 05-06-2020, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2962 Post(s)
Liked: 2083
Yeah, looking over the list of movies that will be on the service on Deadline, it appears that people looking for classic warner bros content (ie, pre 1960) might as well not bother with this service.... there are a whopping 3 movies from before 1960, and maybe only one movie from the 1960s.

The WatchTCM app has way more classic WB content but is unfortunately only available to people who have a cable TV subscription that includes TCM.

So the best streaming runner up is the Criterion service, which always has a little classic cinema and sometimes features a lot like now when they have a couple dozen classic Columbia NOIR films in their current lineup.

My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.

Last edited by nathan_h; 05-06-2020 at 06:43 PM.
post #39 of 114 Old 05-13-2020, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Inside HBO Max, the $4 Billion Bet to Stand Out in the Streaming Wars

The expectations for the HBO Max feast are high as it follows on the heels of the heralded debut of Disney Plus and the entrance of Apple TV Plus, as well as Comcast’s fledging ad-supported Peacock service and ViacomCBS’ revved-up CBS All Access and Pluto TV services, to name a few...consumers have been bombarded with streaming options in recent months

WarnerMedia expects to add technical features and applications to HBO Max every six to eight weeks after launch...the look of the service on May 27th is only the beginning...WarnerMedia is preparing to slowly introduce HBO Max in overseas markets and it has been built in a modular fashion to allow for livestreaming and ad-supported content

the fear is that an underwhelming HBO Max would tarnish or, worse, be a financial strain on HBO proper...the pay TV pioneer generated operating income of $2.3 billion from revenue of $6.8 billion in 2019...“Everyone involved in [HBO Max] feels the pressure of doing something that is worthy of the title of the network,” says Greg Berlanti...

https://variety.com/2020/tv/features...ia-1234604475/

I still don't understand how the traditional HBO linear channel fits into this...how do they decide which programs will debut on HBO linear vs HBO Max...will Max get all the new big budget shows?...for example Damon Lindelof signed a huge deal with them, does that mean Max will get the best of those shows?...HBO linear has always been regarded as the top destination for quality big budget programming, will that change now?
post #40 of 114 Old 05-13-2020, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Isn’t it just like HBO NOW but with additional Warner bro’s content? So HBO shows will appear both places.

My current setup.
post #41 of 114 Old 05-13-2020, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Isn’t it just like HBO NOW but with additional Warner bro’s content? So HBO shows will appear both places.
HBO Max will have all the content...but it doesn't mean linear HBO will have the new programs being developed for HBO Max such as the JJ Abrams shows
post #42 of 114 Old 05-14-2020, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

I understand the economics that may drive this decision from AT&T, but it would be disappointing if HBO Max content could not be consolidated in the Fire TV UI via a PRIME VIDEO CHANNELS subscription.

If the article is accurate and 53% of HBO's direct-to-consumer subscriptions were through PRIME VIDEO CHANNELS then AT&T is feeling incredibly confident about their content catalog and pricing to assume all of those subscribers will happily give up a consolidated pricing/subscription model and jump over and give HBO Max their billing information.

Hopefully this is last minute posturing on both sides as they work out revenue sharing arrangements.

What's behind the HBO Max-Amazon impasse?
https://www.fiercevideo.com/video/de...amazon-impasse

post #43 of 114 Old 05-14-2020, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2556 Post(s)
Liked: 4244
Quote:
HBO Max will have all the content...but it doesn't mean linear HBO will have the new programs being developed for HBO Max such as the JJ Abrams shows
It won't already there are things in the HBO Now App that won't be running on HBO linear in a given month, it's all transitioning to the end of linear HBO. That will probably take between 5 and 10 years but it will happen. Along with Showtime, Epix and Starz doing the same thing. Everything is moving to VOD even on cable.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #44 of 114 Old 05-15-2020, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
It won't already there are things in the HBO Now App that won't be running on HBO linear in a given month, it's all transitioning to the end of linear HBO. That will probably take between 5 and 10 years but it will happen. Along with Showtime, Epix and Starz doing the same thing. Everything is moving to VOD even on cable.
I'm wondering how well HBO Max will be received...it's definitely not going to get the amount of subscribers that Disney+ got...the price combined with their back catalog of titles gives Disney a huge leg up...HBO Max might fall somewhere above Hulu but below the Big 3 of Netflix, Amazon Video and Disney+
post #45 of 114 Old 05-15-2020, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2556 Post(s)
Liked: 4244
Quote:
I'm wondering how well HBO Max will be received...it's definitely not going to get the amount of subscribers that Disney+ got...the price combined with their back catalog of titles gives Disney a huge leg up...HBO Max might fall somewhere above Hulu but below the Big 3 of Netflix, Amazon Video and Disney+
But it will have the HBO catalog and people already to subscribe to HBO NOW. A number of those subscribers will just move over since it's the same price. So they are trying to expand and lower the age demo of people on the service. It won't happen overnight. Amazon numbers will always be off because some people have Prime for the shipping so it can't be directly compared to other services.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #46 of 114 Old 05-15-2020, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
But it will have the HBO catalog and people already to subscribe to HBO NOW. A number of those subscribers will just move over since it's the same price. So they are trying to expand and lower the age demo of people on the service. It won't happen overnight. Amazon numbers will always be off because some people have Prime for the shipping so it can't be directly compared to other services.
yes everything on HBO will also be on HBO Max, but not vice versa...that's my point...I'm sure there are still way more linear HBO cable subscribers then HBO Now subs...I'm not sure if everyone is just going to switch from HBO Now to HBO Max at this time...if they were going to do it then a large percentage would have already done so...HBO Now was just a way for people who didn't have a cable sub to get the HBO content
post #47 of 114 Old 05-16-2020, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
yes everything on HBO will also be on HBO Max, but not vice versa...that's my point...I'm sure there are still way more linear HBO cable subscribers then HBO Now subs...I'm not sure if everyone is just going to switch from HBO Now to HBO Max at this time...if they were going to do it then a large percentage would have already done so...HBO Now was just a way for people who didn't have a cable sub to get the HBO content
Last numbers I read were 140 Million HBO subscribers worldwide, 58 Million HBO cable subscribers in the US and 8 million direct-to-consumer subscribers of HBO NOW. If the monthly pricing is the same I am confused as to why anyone would 'choose' to stay on the current HBO offering and not move to the HBO Max offering. Unless there are some restrictions on these linear cable subscribers and what they can get through their individual cable providers. Once again AT&T has done everything possible to make what should be a simple transition into a convoluted and confusing pricing model and offering. And it sounds like they will include an ad-supported pricing tier sometime in 2021 and will just pile on the confusion even more!!

post #48 of 114 Old 05-16-2020, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some folks have bandwidth limits and may prefer cable tv versus streaming.

Some folks don’t have good internet (many rural communities) but can put up a tv satellite dish no problem.

Some folks get a bundle discount via cable and don’t pay 15 a month.

Some folks just like the way things are and can’t be bothered to change.

But the demographic that favors a subscription via cable tv is probably diminishing.

It will be interesting to see what the timeline ends up being for online viewers to eclipse linear viewers.

——

So glad to hear they are doing an ad supported tier. Hopefully this means folks on a tight budget can get the content for a lower price, if they want it.

My current setup.
post #49 of 114 Old 05-17-2020, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
So glad to hear they are doing an ad supported tier. Hopefully this means folks on a tight budget can get the content for a lower price, if they want it.
Article reporting the HBO Max ad-supported pricing model listed below.

HBO Max will reportedly get a cheaper, ad-supported tier in 2021
https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/25/...streaming-wars

If the ad load is reasonable and on par with other VOD ad-supported services (Tubi TV, Pluto TV, Crackle, Roku Channel, IMDB TV) and the $8 a month pricing is accurate, that could drive up their subscriber numbers over time.

post #50 of 114 Old 05-18-2020, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
If the article is accurate and 53% of HBO's direct-to-consumer subscriptions were through PRIME VIDEO CHANNELS then AT&T is feeling incredibly confident about their content catalog and pricing to assume all of those subscribers will happily give up a consolidated pricing/subscription model and jump over and give HBO Max their billing information.

Hopefully this is last minute posturing on both sides as they work out revenue sharing arrangements.
So far there's not even a promise that there will be a separate Fire TV app for HBO Max outside of the Prime subscription service, though theoretically we could probably side-load the Android TV version.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #51 of 114 Old 05-18-2020, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
So far there's not even a promise that there will be a separate Fire TV app for HBO Max outside of the Prime subscription service, though theoretically we could probably side-load the Android TV version.
There currently is not an agreement with Roku either. If AT&T wants the broadest adoption rate possible it probably is a good idea to have agreements in place with the two largest direct-to-consumer streaming platforms. I am guessing that because Roku and Prime Video have the leverage that others do not they are pushing for more revenue sharing and that the two largest streaming platforms will be the last to be announced just before the May 27th launch date.

post #52 of 114 Old 05-18-2020, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Verge just posted a list of all the classic films available at launch, including the Criterion Collection: https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/18/2...dio-date-price
blade005 likes this.
post #53 of 114 Old 05-18-2020, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
The Verge just posted a list of all the classic films available at launch, including the Criterion Collection: https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/18/2...dio-date-price
Thanks for the link.

That's a much better list than the first one they shared.

VERY interesting to see they have the bulk of the Criterion Collection up there. Does ATT/Warner own the CC now? If not, it must have been an interesting judgment call by the Criterion folks to license it to them, since Criterion has their own streaming service, too (which, admittedly, has TONS and TONS of stuff outside of this list of titles that HBOMAX is getting).

My current setup.
post #54 of 114 Old 05-19-2020, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

rumors are that the 'Snyder Cut' of Justice League might be released on HBO Max...that would be pretty cool to see...
post #55 of 114 Old 05-20-2020, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
HBO Max: WarnerMedia in Talks With Roku on Deal, Amazon Fire TV Appears to Be a No-Go
https://variety.com/2020/digital/new...tv-1234611730/

7 days until launch. This may be last minute deal making, but the current comments suggest no HBO Max standalone app or HBO Max Prime Video Channel on Fire TV platform at launch.

post #56 of 114 Old 05-20-2020, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
rumors are that the 'Snyder Cut' of Justice League might be released on HBO Max...that would be pretty cool to see...
Confirmed: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-thing-1295102
TitusTroy likes this.
post #57 of 114 Old 05-20-2020, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
great news...too bad it's not going to be available until 2021
post #58 of 114 Old 05-22-2020, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

a deal has been reached with Verizon FiOS!...so it looks like I'll be getting HBO Max for free (since I get HBO as part of my FiOS Ultimate cable package)...

"Verizon will distribute HBO Max to customers through its Fios TV and Fios Internet services. All of Verizon’s existing Fios customers who subscribe to HBO or HBO Now will get immediate access to HBO Max at launch and at no extra cost. HBO Max will be available to these customers in addition to their existing HBO linear or streaming services. Those customers can use their Fios login credentials to access HBO Max either on supported devices through the app or via desktop. Verizon’s remaining and new Fios TV and Fios Internet customers will be able to purchase HBO Max directly from the company, as an add-on to video services or as a standalone streaming service available to internet-only customers"

HBO Max adds Altice USA, Verizon, Cox and more to distribution list

https://www.fiercevideo.com/video/hb...tribution-list
nathan_h and blade005 like this.
post #59 of 114 Old 05-22-2020, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
a deal has been reached with Verizon FiOS!...so it looks like I'll be getting HBO Max for free (since I get HBO as part of my FiOS Ultimate cable package)...
Roku, Amazon Fire TV and Comcast still not on the list. Perhaps they are just holding back on those for a big last announcement the day before launch!!

post #60 of 114 Old 05-22-2020, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
Roku, Amazon Fire TV and Comcast still not on the list. Perhaps they are just holding back on those for a big last announcement the day before launch!!
Roku and Amazon were always going to be the toughest to get deals done with...hopefully they get onboard before the official launch this coming Wednesday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page