HBO Max- May 2020 launch - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 115Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 06:03 AM
Senior Member
 
musicman0725's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Does anyone know what AT&T phone plans get you Max free? We have an unlimited plan but I don't think that gets us this free. We have the old AT&T TV Now grandfathered plan too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk


Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post
I think it’s just the Unlimited Elite plan

If you go to the myATT app and click change or view plan it should say HBO Max included, if you are eligible. I have the AT&T unlimited plus plan that came with free hbo and a $25 directv credit. That plan now says hbo max included and I was able to sign into the app with our att login.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500 | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-K8500
Samsung QN43Q60RA | AppleTV 4th Gen | DirecTV C41W
musicman0725 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DaveFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Boonies, MA
Posts: 18,484
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
I checked out a few items on HBO Max using an Nvidia Shield.

OAR appears to be intact, nothing I've come across is has been cropped or blown out.

I watched the latest X-Men film, and this was in Dolby Digital Plus.

Dolby Digital Plus works for new programming, but not all. I watched Ben Hur yesterday evening, and the audio was 2.0. The TCM Section is pretty nice if you're into classic movies. I also checked out a few minutes of "How the West was Won" it had a very nice image without the obvious three lens morph that I'm accustom to looking at. You can see the lines, but you have to know what you're looking for. If you're not familiar with the film, then you may not even know that they are present throughout the film.

The Studio Ghibli section was a suprise. I watched a little of Castle in the Sky, and this film had Dolby Digital Plus for audio.


I'm really not expecting HDR or Atmos anytime soon, and I'd rather have them done properly, rather than a quick batch job considering the amount of content that is available for this service.
Huh. Just tried Dark Phoenix and am only getting DD standard on my 2015 and 2017 Shields. Seems to be a bug I’m having on both the HBO Go and Max app.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
DaveFi is offline  
post #123 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 2,479
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
Huh. Just tried Dark Phoenix and am only getting DD standard on my 2015 and 2017 Shields. Seems to be a bug I’m having on both the HBO Go and Max app.
Was it 5.1, I may have mistaken DD+ and DD 5.1. It was definitely getting 5.1 audio. Ben Hur on the other hand was in 2.0

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500

Last edited by groove93; 05-28-2020 at 06:48 AM.
groove93 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #124 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,495
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1986 Post(s)
Liked: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman0725 View Post
If you go to the myATT app and click change or view plan it should say HBO Max included, if you are eligible. I have the AT&T unlimited plus plan that came with free hbo and a $25 directv credit. That plan now says hbo max included and I was able to sign into the app with our att login.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah I have free HBO too and I get money off my TV bill.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #125 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Senior Member
 
musicman0725's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Yeah I have free HBO too and I get money off my TV bill.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yep, then just log into HBO Max with your AT&T ID (like you would HBO Go) and you should be good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames likes this.

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500 | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-K8500
Samsung QN43Q60RA | AppleTV 4th Gen | DirecTV C41W
musicman0725 is online now  
post #126 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,887
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Liked: 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
Huh. Just tried Dark Phoenix and am only getting DD standard on my 2015 and 2017 Shields. Seems to be a bug I’m having on both the HBO Go and Max app.

I have a similar issue. That Dark Phoenix title plays in DD 5.1 on my 2017 Shield via HBO Max but in DD+ 5.1 on my Roku Ultra via HBO Now.

I have been seeing this for a while now. It appears to be a recently introduced glitch on the Shield support for any HBO app.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; TiVo Roamio Pro/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H; Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55X950G,
Sony UBP-X800, TiVo Mini/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #127 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,495
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1986 Post(s)
Liked: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post
I think it’s just the Unlimited Elite plan
Ok, I don't think I have that, definitely don't have that. No big deal. I certainly ain't paying for a high phone plan or paying for this outright that's for sure. No way am I paying for this. To be totally honest I don't see the benefit to having it but that's just me. If I got it free with my phone plan ok great, if not, oh will, I'm not paying for it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #128 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DaveFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Boonies, MA
Posts: 18,484
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
Huh. Just tried Dark Phoenix and am only getting DD standard on my 2015 and 2017 Shields. Seems to be a bug I’️m having on both the HBO Go and Max app.

I have a similar issue. That Dark Phoenix title plays in DD 5.1 on my 2017 Shield via HBO Max but in DD+ 5.1 on my Roku Ultra via HBO Now.

I have been seeing this for a while now. It appears to be a recently introduced glitch on the Shield support for any HBO app.
I tried to contact HBO about it but I only get a canned response.

Apparently I am getting Max free with my Xfinity. If I get billed after a month I'll be pissed. lol

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
DaveFi is offline  
post #129 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,887
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Liked: 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
I tried to contact HBO about it but I only get a canned response.

Funny, I called HBO just last week on a technical issue and got through almost immediately to a CSR who seemed quite knowledgeable and helpful.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
Apparently I am getting Max free with my Xfinity. If I get billed after a month I'll be pissed. lol
If you mean that HBO is included in your Comcast subscription package, then yes it should allow you full access to all of the content on HBO Max (including the HBO Max website and OTT app via your Comcast credentials) once Comcast implements the upgraded support procedures. The agreement was just concluded yesterday, so the details for Comcast subscribers remain TBA.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; TiVo Roamio Pro/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H; Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55X950G,
Sony UBP-X800, TiVo Mini/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #130 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,495
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1986 Post(s)
Liked: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman0725 View Post
Yep, then just log into HBO Max with your AT&T ID (like you would HBO Go) and you should be good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried that but not recognizing me. I'll try again later.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #131 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DaveFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Boonies, MA
Posts: 18,484
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
I tried to contact HBO about it but I only get a canned response.

Funny, I called HBO just last week on a technical issue and got through almost immediately to a CSR who seemed quite knowledgeable and helpful.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
Apparently I am getting Max free with my Xfinity. If I get billed after a month I'll be pissed. lol
If you mean that HBO is included in your Comcast subscription package, then yes it should allow you full access to all of the content on HBO Max (including the HBO Max website and OTT app via your Comcast credentials) once Comcast implements the upgraded support procedures. The agreement was just concluded yesterday, so the details for Comcast subscribers remain TBA.
My condo development has a deal with Xfinity so most if my cable is included in my condo fees. I just created a Max account, looked at my services on the Xfinity page and it wasn't listed, so I think I have free access.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
DaveFi is offline  
post #132 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,887
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Liked: 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
My condo development has a deal with Xfinity so most if my cable is included in my condo fees. I just created a Max account, looked at my services on the Xfinity page and it wasn't listed, so I think I have free access.

I negotiated my own HOA's bulk services agreement with Comcast and am intimately familiar with these arrangements. If you are in doubt regarding which services are included with your HOA dues you can check with your management office or, even better, call the dedicated Comcast bulk-services support center (1-866-694-9415) and they will be able to give you the details. But your monthly billing statement from Comcast should reveal which services are on your residential account and which are provided by the community.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; TiVo Roamio Pro/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H; Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55X950G,
Sony UBP-X800, TiVo Mini/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #133 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
steveklein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 709
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
If Roku and Fire TV Sticks are you only option for viewing then you can not view HBO Max content.

Even if you would subscribe through YouTubeTV to the HBO add-on, which will get you HBO Max content, you still have to install the HBO Max standalone app to access the 'Max' portion of HBO Max. As of today, you can not install HBO Max on a Roku or Fire Stick TV device. People in the Roku support forum are finding that out today and are not very pleased.

FYI. I am in the same situation. I have three (3) Roku TV's with three (3) Fire TV Stick 4K devices attached to each. I can still access HBO NOW or HBO GO app to view HBO only content on Roku or Fire TV Stick. If I want to view HBO Max content I have to switch over to the HDMI input for my Home Theater PC I have attached to my Roku TV and login through a web browser.

Are you sure about this? I just subscribed to HBO Max through YouTube TV and I can see all the MAX content (I think) (although the interface to get to the HBO Max "channel" through YouTube TV seems a little clunky).
steveklein is offline  
post #134 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 09:42 AM
Member
 
Wayne Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
HBO Max Video Quality

Last night, I watched Shutter Island on HBO Max; the streamer was an Apple TV 4K. This is a widescreen movie, so I zoomed the lens of my Sony Projector to a 110" diagonal. The picture quality was great, about equal to a Blu-ray disc. The frame rate was also correct. Since the Apple TV does not send bitstream audio, all I could tell is that audio was shown as "Multi PCM" on my receiver.

Re the problems between HBO and Amazon and Roku. Why in the world should they expect to get a big cut of HBO Max revenue for doing nothing more than letting HBO Max put an app on their devices?
Wayne Z is offline  
post #135 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DaveFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Boonies, MA
Posts: 18,484
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Z View Post
Last night, I watched Shutter Island on HBO Max; the streamer was an Apple TV 4K. This is a widescreen movie, so I zoomed the lens of my Sony Projector to a 110" diagonal. The picture quality was great, about equal to a Blu-ray disc. The frame rate was also correct. Since the Apple TV does not send bitstream audio, all I could tell is that audio was shown as "Multi PCM" on my receiver.

Re the problems between HBO and Amazon and Roku. Why in the world should they expect to get a big cut of HBO Max revenue for doing nothing more than letting HBO Max put an app on their devices?
The upscaler on the ATV is very good, but AFAIK HBO serves up all content in low bitrate 720p upscaled to 1080p. That's why so many people prefer using the Amazon HBO channel, it's like 2x the bitrate and true 1080p.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
DaveFi is offline  
post #136 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,990
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4570 Post(s)
Liked: 4224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Z View Post
Last night, I watched Shutter Island on HBO Max; the streamer was an Apple TV 4K. This is a widescreen movie, so I zoomed the lens of my Sony Projector to a 110" diagonal. The picture quality was great, about equal to a Blu-ray disc. The frame rate was also correct. Since the Apple TV does not send bitstream audio, all I could tell is that audio was shown as "Multi PCM" on my receiver.

Re the problems between HBO and Amazon and Roku. Why in the world should they expect to get a big cut of HBO Max revenue for doing nothing more than letting HBO Max put an app on their devices?
Eyeballs. Amazon and Roku have direct access to around 70% of all streaming subscribers. HBO Max wants to sell their product to those subscribers and you expect Amazon and Roku to allow them to do that for free? This is just like what happens when networks like TNT, ESPN, and even networks like HBO and Showtime do when they want to sell their product, they negotiate a price per subscriber to get access to them. Nothing is for free. And then there's advertising which is another revenue source that everyone wants a piece of. And in the case of Amazon, it has its own video product to protect, why should Amazon give AT&T free access to steal those viewers/customers away from its own Prime Video service?

AT&T could always build and sell its own device to then sell their HBO Max product to the masses, nobody is stopping them from doing that if they don't like the Amazon and Roku pricing. Good luck getting even a tenth of that 70% viewership number though.

A key point to remember about TV and video services in general, you the viewer are not the customer, you're the product being sold to those who want access to your eyeballs and in turn, your wallet.
TitusTroy likes this.

Last edited by Keenan; 05-28-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Keenan is online now  
post #137 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 2,479
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
Huh. Just tried Dark Phoenix and am only getting DD standard on my 2015 and 2017 Shields. Seems to be a bug I’m having on both the HBO Go and Max app.
Just checked my AVR again and it's definitely Dolby Digital, no DD+


.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
groove93 is offline  
post #138 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 12,429
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6389 Post(s)
Liked: 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Eyeballs. Amazon and Roku have direct access to around 70% of all streaming subscribers. HBO Max wants to sell their product to those subscribers and you expect Amazon and Roku to allow them to do that for free?
why can't Amazon/Apple/Roku just keep things the way they are?...keep 'regular' HBO as part of Amazon Channels and let HBO Max operate as a separate app...the issue is that WarnerMedia kept HBO Max at the same $14.99 price point...so Amazon etc are going to complain that they are getting a gimped version but in reality they are getting the same thing they were getting before...WarnerMedia should be allowed to create their own standalone app

Netflix, Amazon Video, Disney+ are not a part of Amazon Channels etc and there's never been a major uproar...HBO is in a strange situation because there has already been a platform for their services which they are now trying to gain more control over
TitusTroy is offline  
post #139 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,990
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4570 Post(s)
Liked: 4224
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
why can't Amazon/Apple/Roku just keep things the way they are?...keep 'regular' HBO as part of Amazon Channels and let HBO Max operate as a separate app...the issue is that WarnerMedia kept HBO Max at the same $14.99 price point...so Amazon etc are going to complain that they are getting a gimped version but in reality they are getting the same thing they were getting before...WarnerMedia should be allowed to create their own standalone app

Netflix, Amazon Video, Disney+ are not a part of Amazon Channels etc and there's never been a major uproar...HBO is in a strange situation because there has already been a platform for their services which they are now trying to gain more control over
There isn't going to be any more just HBO apps are there? Those apps are all going away was my understanding. HBO content will disappear from the Channels product, a product that helps drive revenue for Amazon as it's a very handy one-stop-shop for multiple video services. AT&T wants to cripple a major Amazon product and sell their own stand-alone service, which is fine, just pay the asking price. Netflix and Disney+ don't have free access to Amazon's platform, they pay as well.
Keenan is online now  
post #140 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 12,429
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6389 Post(s)
Liked: 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
There isn't going to be any more just HBO apps are there? Those apps are all going away was my understanding. HBO content will disappear from the Channels product, a product that helps drive revenue for Amazon as it's a very handy one-stop-shop for multiple video services. AT&T wants to cripple a major Amazon product and sell their own stand-alone service, which is fine, just pay the asking price. Netflix and Disney+ don't have free access to Amazon's platform, they pay as well.
I'm saying that WarnerMedia should let Amazon Channels and Apple keep regular HBO as part of their built-in Channels lineup same as always (along with Showtime, Starz etc)...the Channel apps don't use the standard HBO Now app and is built into the streamers infrastructure
TitusTroy is offline  
post #141 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,990
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4570 Post(s)
Liked: 4224
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I'm saying that WarnerMedia should let Amazon Channels and Apple keep regular HBO as part of their built-in Channels lineup same as always (along with Showtime, Starz etc)...the Channel apps don't use the standard HBO Now app and is built into the streamers infrastructure
Well, AT&T's play seems to be putting all its cards on HBO Max at the expense of losing what subs they may have through those aggregator products like those "Channels" offerings. AT&T is competing against the Netflix and Disneys of the streaming world, not the AcornTVs or Showtimes, and as such, they seem to be going all-in on the HBO Max product.

The thing is when it comes to AT&T, what they say and do today can change tomorrow or next week. This company has gone off in so many different directions over the last decade it's often difficult to really know what they're doing. They've had over 10 different video products in just last several years alone, the company is schizophrenic in the way it operates.
Keenan is online now  
post #142 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 12,429
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6389 Post(s)
Liked: 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
The thing is when it comes to AT&T, what they say and do today can change tomorrow or next week. This company has gone off in so many different directions over the last decade it's often difficult to really know what they're doing. They've had over 10 different video products in just last several years alone, the company is schizophrenic in the way it operates.
AT&T's acquisition of Time Warner is definitely a bad omen...HBO has always been the home for high quality premium content and now I feel it's going to be watered down with the Netflix model of throwing out hundreds of shows and hoping that a few stick...
Keenan likes this.
TitusTroy is offline  
post #143 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,990
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4570 Post(s)
Liked: 4224
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
AT&T's acquisition of Time Warner is definitely a bad omen...HBO has always been the home for high quality premium content and now I feel it's going to be watered down with the Netflix model of throwing out hundreds of shows and hoping that a few stick...
Yes, I was against this acquisition from the start. While time will tell I'm rather pessimistic about the future of the HBO quality we've come to know and love.
Keenan is online now  
post #144 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
blade005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I'm saying that WarnerMedia should let Amazon Channels and Apple keep regular HBO as part of their built-in Channels lineup same as always (along with Showtime, Starz etc)...the Channel apps don't use the standard HBO Now app and is built into the streamers infrastructure
At what price? I think that is part of the issue. Amazon's position seems to be if HBO Max is charging $14.99 a month then anyone subscribing to HBO through Prime Channels for $14.99 a month should get HBO Max content.

Amazon Position:
Quote:
Amazon, meanwhile, was a bit more aggressive. In a statement provided Wednesday afternoon, the company indicated that it is upset that AT&T isn't just adding Max's content to the regular HBO offering that is available through Amazon's Prime Video Channels.

"With a seamless customer experience, nearly 5 million HBO streamers currently access their subscription through Amazon's Prime Video Channels," a company spokeswoman said. "Unfortunately, with the launch of HBO Max, AT&T is choosing to deny these loyal HBO customers access to the expanded catalog.

"We believe that if you're paying for HBO, you're entitled to the new programming through the method you're already using. That's just good customer service and that's a priority for us."

https://www.cnet.com/news/hbo-max-ha...mazon-fire-tv/
Keenan likes this.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
blade005 is online now  
post #145 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 12:06 PM
Member
 
Wayne Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
The upscaler on the ATV is very good, but AFAIK HBO serves up all content in low bitrate 720p upscaled to 1080p. That's why so many people prefer using the Amazon HBO channel, it's like 2x the bitrate and true 1080p.
According to an earlier post on this thread, the HBO Max bitrate is about twice as high as for HBO Now and HBO Go. It seems to me that they are not just using upscaled 720p. The picture I saw was much than on HBO Now.
nathan_h likes this.
Wayne Z is offline  
post #146 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 12,429
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6389 Post(s)
Liked: 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
At what price? I think that is part of the issue. Amazon's position seems to be if HBO Max is charging $14.99 a month then anyone subscribing to HBO through Prime Channels for $14.99 a month should get HBO Max content
then they should lower the price for it to be on Amazon/Apple Channels...I think Showtime charges $10.99 a month, Starz $8.99 etc...so let's say HBO through Amazon Channels will now be priced at $9.99 a month...HBO Max standalone app stays at $14.99...everybody wins
TitusTroy is offline  
post #147 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
blade005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
The upscaler on the ATV is very good, but AFAIK HBO serves up all content in low bitrate 720p upscaled to 1080p. That's why so many people prefer using the Amazon HBO channel, it's like 2x the bitrate and true 1080p.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Z View Post
According to an earlier post on this thread, the HBO Max bitrate is about twice as high as for HBO Now and HBO Go. It seems to me that they are not just using upscaled 720p. The picture I saw was much than on HBO Now.
Below is the article I saw referencing the bitrate differences from HBO to HBO Max.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1590578825

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
blade005 is online now  
post #148 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
blade005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
then they should lower the price for it to be on Amazon/Apple Channels...I think Showtime charges $10.99 a month, Starz $8.99 etc...so let's say HBO through Amazon Channels will now be priced at $9.99 a month...HBO Max standalone app stays at $14.99...everybody wins
Well, if you are a Prime Channel subscriber and you want HBO Max that way, you don't win.

BUT, I believe that the reason HBO Max stayed at $14.99 was because of contractual commitments to all of the cable providers that they would not undercut the pricing they have in place for HBO customers. Such a tangled web of greed. AT&T, Roku, Amazon and all the Cable providers want their cut and not one of them wants to concede one penny. So, here we are....
Keenan likes this.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
blade005 is online now  
post #149 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 12,429
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6389 Post(s)
Liked: 5883
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
Well, if you are a Prime Channel subscriber and you want HBO Max that way, you don't win...
if people want access to HBO Max outside of the Amazon or Apple Channels then they need to buy a streaming box (or have access to a Smart TV that has it as part of its built-in apps)...this is how it works with Disney+, Amazon Video, Netflix etc...why should HBO operate under a different set of rules?
TitusTroy is offline  
post #150 of 292 Old 05-28-2020, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
blade005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Are you sure about this? I just subscribed to HBO Max through YouTube TV and I can see all the MAX content (I think) (although the interface to get to the HBO Max "channel" through YouTube TV seems a little clunky).
MAX content would be LOVE LIFE, LOONEY TUNES, FRIENDS, THE BIG BANG THEORY, CRAFTOPIA, LEGENDARY.

It was my understanding that if you are on a Roku or Fire TV device that you will still have access to the content that is on the HBO linear channel as before, but none of the new MAX Original content would be accessible unless you had the HBO Max app installed, which is not available on Roku or Fire TV devices as of today. Perhaps something has changed.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
blade005 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off